Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2016, 13:49   #2041
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmageddon View Post

Thank you Ertigiat for these tips. Am ever grateful to BHPians like you for the helpful advice.
You are welcome Sir.

Quote:
Can't wait for the trip!
Do ping me in case you need any assistance.
Old 21st December 2016, 14:56   #2042
Senior - BHPian

Just returned from a 4 day trip.
Route taken, both ways, was Pune-Kolhapur-Nippani-Amboli ghat- Sawantwadi-Goa.

Just to update here, Amboli ghat has been freshly laid and is butter smooth. The small lanes running through the villages are usual fare i.e. not butter smooth, but not extremely bad either.
I also found that the route was devoid of any traffic while going on Saturday and returning on Tuesday.

It took all in all 9.5 hours both ways with enough halts of approx 1.5-2 hours.

Only grouse - NH48 stretch in Maharashtra is a pain after sunset.
vinit.merchant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 15:00   #2043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Only grouse - NH48 stretch in Maharashtra is a pain after sunset.
I heard that the section between Satara and Pune is not so good, but that between Satara and Kagal is really good. Is this correct?
Old 21st December 2016, 15:16   #2044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
I heard that the section between Satara and Pune is not so good, but that between Satara and Kagal is really good. Is this correct?
Yes, that is correct because there are quite a few badly managed diversions in that section. At night, one has to be extra careful due to lack of reflectors on most of the barricades.
the_skyliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2017, 19:26   #2045
BHPian

Hi all,

An update from my (just concluded) trip. Did Bandra to Cavelossim (South Goa) on 27th Dec and just got back today.

Over the Mumbai to Goa route we took Khanapur / Anmod ghat / Mollem. Few sections of this road are not in great shape. Both our cars scraped in 2-3 places, and the TPMS in my car started showing error messages! Fortunately no punctures despite going off the road shoulder in a few places due to the narrow track.

On the return leg we came via Chorla despite being a longer route. And boy did we enjoy the decision! Engaged Sports mode and was "flying low" through the ghats. I don't think many cars under 75 Lakhs can keep up with a 3 series on such roads. The A4 accompanying us didn't stand a chance!

On both legs we stopped at the new Fairfield Marriott in Belgavi for meals - a nice hotel, however with a limited menu at this time.

Thoroughly enjoyable drive overall. I highly recommend Chorla ghat if you want to enjoy the twisties.
Carmageddon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2017, 16:28   #2046
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmageddon View Post

Thoroughly enjoyable drive overall. I highly recommend Chorla ghat if you want to enjoy the twisties.
We did the Amboli ghat while coming. Pristine condition with no issues. Wondering if the Chorla ghat route is worth the additional 50kms. Any suggestions?
Old 2nd January 2017, 16:39   #2047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
We did the Amboli ghat while coming. Pristine condition with no issues. Wondering if the Chorla ghat route is worth the additional 50kms. Any suggestions?
Good to know the roads are better now on this route. I am heading to Goa this Friday so I'll take the Amboli route this time and maybe come back via Chorla.
Old 2nd January 2017, 21:11   #2048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

I had taken Amboli ghat years ago and it was poor then - good to know things have improved. If Amboli is in pristine condition then it will not be worth 50 Km extra to take Chorla ghat.

I do recommend Chorla over Khanapur / Anmod ghat. And it means only 20min more travel time from South Goa.
Old 3rd January 2017, 10:31   #2049
BHPian

I did a quick trip in December to South Goa from Thane. I started on a Saturday, the route that I had planned on taking was Thane - Pune - Satara - Kolhapur - Nippani - Amboli - Goa. However, I trusted Google which told me that the Nippani Ghat will cost me half an hour more. I started at around 11 from Thane, and the ETA shown by Google when starting was 9:15.

As I was reaching Nippani the ETA had increased to 10:45 and Google was suggesting I go via Belgavi - Nippani would be 45 more minutes. I accepted Googles sugeestion and started on Belgavi route. A comment here about the roads till then - No problems on any of the roads till Belgaum. All of them are multi laned roads with divider in between. Only the diversions between Pune and Satara are a bit frustrating as some of them are not clearly marked.

As I passed Belgaum, the route showed me to go straight through a forest. The initial checkpost was unmanned, and we drove on. This part of the drive seemed to be one from the movie Kaal, eery roads (in the night) with black cats going along the side. As I drove some 40 Kms into the forest, I reach another check post, and this guy tells me that the roads are closed after 9, and you have to go back.

So much for trusting Google. I took a turn back, and the ETA now has jumped to 1:15 AM. The rest of the drive was OK, just one small patch of 100 meters (from the part where I reached the first check post to the highway) that was bad, rest was pristine. From this point on the roads were single lane, and with quite a bit of traffic. This was kind of one of the few times that I have driven in the night and that too on a single lane. However I discovered that night driving is the best when you are driving through a Ghat, as you become aware of an incoming vehicle long before it reaches you thanks to the head-light. Enjoyed the drive through the ghat all the way to GOA and finally reached South Goa at 1:30 AM.

When I had started out, I thought that I could easily beat Google's timings, but boy was I wrong. On stretches where I could do 100+, the average speed being considered by Google was over 80kmph. which means I could never really beat it.

We started back on Tuesday at around 1:00 PM, and this time I chose to go via Sawant Wadi, Nippani, Kolhapur and Mumbai. Again at Sawantwadi, it asked me to take a different route - which was way through the village with almost no tar road - other than that, the road was awesome. My learnings, - do not trust the Google map entirely - I believe if I had gone via Sawantwadi, I would not have encountered any bad road.

Had a quick darshan of Mahalakshmi at Kolhapur on the way back, and reached Thane at 3 AM.
Old 3rd January 2017, 17:25   #2050
Senior - BHPian

You could probably beat Google Maps if you didn't trust it completely LOL

It's best to stick to highways, and plan a bit in advance so you know when you have to turn off the highway, and then find that exit using Google Maps.

I have personally had Google Maps take me through bylanes and side roads in a city like Pune where trying the main road would have been better - all for saving a minute or a half. Not worth the pain - but it's better than nothing.
Old 5th January 2017, 12:25   #2051
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_and View Post
When I had started out, I thought that I could easily beat Google's timings, but boy was I wrong. On stretches where I could do 100+, the average speed being considered by Google was over 80kmph. which means I could never really beat it.
Hi Anand, no offence but if you would have planned this trip, you could have easily beaten google. I am very regular on this route and every time I was able to supersede gmap's time.

Few points for travellers, (Suggested Routes)
  • Pune - Belgaum - Khanapur - Ramanagar - Anmod - South Goa (Take this route only if you reach Khanapur after 5.40 PM) - Buttersmooth roads all the way till South Goa barring few rough patches at the end of Belgaum city.
  • Pune - Belgaum - Khanapur - Hemmadagga (Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary)-Anmod - South Goa. Route through Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary is open only between 6 AM to 6 PM. So in case you reach Khanapur after 5.40 PM please proceed towards Ramanagar. This route saves at least 20 kms of your travel. Again buttersmooth roads till Khanapur. Narrow but neat roads once you turn right towards Hemmadagga. You will encounter rough patches (may be for a Kilometer) before you enter Joida taluka.
  • Pune - Nippani - Amboli - Sawantwadi - North Goa (If you are travelling to North Goa) - I personally have not traveled recently but I hear it has relaid and is equally good as Anmod/chorla route.
I have not mentioned Chorla route as Amboli route has been relaid & it makes lot of sense to take Sawantwadi route for North Goa than Chorla.

It is wise to take Belgaum route for south Goa as volume of traffic between MH-North Goa is always higher than Belgaum-South Goa. Add to this, construction of new bridge over river Mandovi. If you travel during peak hours you are most likely to increase your travel time by at least 30-45 mins.

I am taking liberty of considering Anand's start time from Thane & destination in Goa to draw sample itinerary for anyone travelling from Mumbai,

11.15 AM - Start From Thane
2.15-2.30 PM - Stop at McDonalds after Khed Shivapur Toll (Lunch,Refuel & Referesh)
3.00 PM - Start after lunch
6.00 PM - Quick Bio break and tea at road side stalls right after Kognoli (Kagal Toll).
7.30 PM - Dinner at Hotel Ramdev, Belgaum (In fact plenty of fast food option like Domino's, Subway, McDonalds right after you enter Belgaum)
8.30 PM - Start from Belgaum
11.15 PM - South Goa (Ponda).

I have considered ample time for breaks & sedate driving style.

Happy Driving,
Ertigiat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 12:53   #2052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
Pune - Belgaum - Khanapur - Hemmadagga (Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary)-Anmod - South Goa. Route through Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary is open only between 6 AM to 6 PM. So in case you reach Khanapur after 5.40 PM please proceed towards Ramanagar. This route saves at least 20 kms of your travel. Again buttersmooth roads till Khanapur. Narrow but neat roads once you turn right towards Hemmadagga. You will encounter rough patches (may be for a Kilometer) before you enter Joida taluka.
A bit OT, but still attaching a couple of pics that I took on the Bhimgad route while coming back to Pune in Oct 2016.

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-pic2.jpg

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-pic1.jpg

As is evident from the pics, the road quality is more than decent, even if it becomes a bit narrow further on (these pics were taken just after one turns left immediately after the Anmod check post). As it is, the route via Anmod makes for a nice drive, but the Bhimgad shortcut takes it one notch higher

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 5th January 2017 at 12:56.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 14:07   #2053
BHPian

Completely agree with Ertigiat's inputs. As long as Amboli route is in a very good condition, I too don't suggest Chorla route for Mumbai--Pune to North Goa travellers.

Quote:

Few points for travellers, (Suggested Routes)[list][*]Pune - Belgaum - Khanapur - Ramanagar - Anmod - South Goa (Take this route only if you reach Khanapur after 5.40 PM) - Buttersmooth roads all the way till South Goa barring few rough patches at the end of Belgaum city.
These rough patches in Belgaum have now been repaired except at one place on Congress road. Rest, the widening of road to 6 lane from 3rd railway gate to Peeranwadi cross is completed. And how beautiful and really wide this 3.3km stretch looks now. It's a great improvement from the erstwhile 2 laner infested with heavy traffic that used to take 20-25 mins during peak hours. With the six lane now, it's a mere 5 minute affair.

Quote:
3.00 PM - Start after lunch
6.00 PM - Quick Bio break and tea at road side stalls right after Kognoli (Kagal Toll).
7.30 PM - Dinner at Hotel Ramdev, Belgaum

I have considered ample time for breaks & sedate driving style.

Happy Driving,
Hope you don't mind a minor correction - 3 hours from Khed Shivapur to Kognoli toll would be fast rather than sedate and quite impossible with that start time of 3pm. For a sedate and totally non-stop journey during these hours, it would take 3 hours 20 minutes minimum between the said destinations.
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 14:55   #2054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
As is evident from the pics, the road quality is more than decent, even if it becomes a bit narrow further on (these pics were taken just after one turns left immediately after the Anmod check post). As it is, the route via Anmod makes for a nice drive, but the Bhimgad shortcut takes it one notch higher
Yes Vikram, The quality of roads is more than decent. The picture you have taken is in Joida Taluka. The roads under Joida region are wider than Khanapur region & rough patches that I have mentioned are before you take right turn towards Khanapur at Hemmadagga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post

These rough patches in Belgaum have now been repaired except at one place on Congress road. Rest, the widening of road to 6 lane from 3rd railway gate to Peeranwadi cross is completed. And how beautiful and really wide this 3.3km stretch looks now. It's a great improvement from the erstwhile 2 laner infested with heavy traffic that used to take 20-25 mins during peak hours. With the six lane now, it's a mere 5 minute affair.
I very well remember, how chaotic the road used to be once upon a time. Now it absolutely is 5 minutes affair between Piranwadi and Third gate. But I still would have loved to have same old road for the greenery it presented.

Quote:
Hope you don't mind a minor correction - 3 hours from Khed Shivapur to Kognoli toll would be fast rather than sedate and quite impossible with that start time of 3pm. For a sedate and totally non-stop journey during these hours, it would take 3 hours 20 minutes minimum between the said destinations.
Guess I imagined driving my Scorpio sedately while I wrote. But as you rightly said, one would be rushing in case he has to reach first toll in Karnataka.
Ertigiat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 01:47   #2055
BHPian

I drove with my family from Mumbai to Goa (Anjuna) on the intervening night of 22nd - 23rd December and came back on the intervening night of 1st - 2nd Jan in my OHC.

We took the Nippani-Uttur-Ajra-Amboli-Sawantwadi route since this time we were staying at Anjuna rather than than our home in Margao.
The entire stretch is smooth, especially the Amboli ghats. Enjoyed driving throughout. Definitely take this route if you're traveling to North Goa.

I must say, that my decision to drive across Sawantwadi and join the bypass on NH66 was a good decision. The roads from Sawantwadi via Insuli are narrow and two way, so there's bound to be frustration if you're stuck behind a slow moving vehicle after a long drive. Driving to the bypass may be just a little bit longer but it's quicker, well laid, and the bypass is one way with two lanes on each side.

I clocked 9 hours while driving to Goa and 8 hours while returning (including all breaks and pit stops). Must say it was satisfying

We're driving to Goa in my brother's CR-V again tomorrow, taking the Belgaum-Khanapur-Anmod route since we'll be staying at home in Margao. Thanks for all the latest updates. Will post my own update after returning.

Last edited by Dr.Sav : 6th January 2017 at 01:49. Reason: A small grammatical correction.
Dr.Sav is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed