Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2017, 10:03   #2086
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Thanks Vikram for the quick response. I basically wanted to stay in a clean place (Beaches) and with lot of peace and quiet. I was also thinking, since I am going with my folks, why not buy a 3 days and 2 night package from Pune itself. Would you by any chance have any idea for that?

Thanks!
Hello, Since you want something clean with lot of peace then I would recommend South Goa. You can either pick Agonda/Palolem which are southern most parts of Goa or something like Benaulim/Varca which are closer to Margao city. If you are put up at Benaulim/Varca, then you can witness Carnival this Sunday at Margao.

Detailed info about Carnival

If you can suggest your start time, then I can draw up a sample itinerary for you.
Ertigiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 12:17   #2087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
If you can suggest your start time, then I can draw up a sample itinerary for you.
Thanks so much Ertigiat. We will be leaving about 23:00 today and will check in tomorrow. Hotel room I am not able to decide since I want that is something 'ON' the beach. I tried for OYO outstays but they are already sold out. Would you by chance have something similar in mind? that would be awesome. My budget is like 1.5K to 2K per night.

One more advice: I was thinking to hire a car there and taking an overnight Volvo from Pune to Goa. How does that sound?

Thanks!
Old 23rd February 2017, 13:27   #2088
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks so much Ertigiat. We will be leaving about 23:00 today and will check in tomorrow. Hotel room I am not able to decide since I want that is something 'ON' the beach. I tried for OYO outstays but they are already sold out. Would you by chance have something similar in mind? that would be awesome. My budget is like 1.5K to 2K per night.

One more advice: I was thinking to hire a car there and taking an overnight Volvo from Pune to Goa. How does that sound?

Thanks!
As far as I know Goa, hiring two wheeler is tad easier than hiring four wheeler. They are available at every nook and corner.
Hotels, mostly they will all be booked because of Carnival. I believe even bus fares will be sky high. Check Trivago.com for hotels. My suggestion would be to opt for some B&B (as per price range you have specified).
Old 23rd February 2017, 16:24   #2089

Quote:

Thanks!
Hi,

You could also look at the Sinquerim/Candolim stretch, and there are a few places in the lanes/bylanes which are literally on the beach and quite far from the madding crowd. I found the beach to be pretty accessible and clean too.
Agree that two wheelers are a lot more preferable esp. if there is going to be traffic due to the Carnival. Also, the hire rates of vehicles might be at a premium so don't forget to negotiate hard. Have a good trip !!
Old 26th February 2017, 08:04   #2090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sav View Post
I must say, that my decision to drive across Sawantwadi and join the bypass on NH66 was a good decision.
Hi Dr. Sav,

Could you please give details on how to drive across Sawantwadi to join the NH66 bypass. The last time I turned right after the lake and ended up back on the Insuli road again. Locals had no idea how to reach NH 66.

Regards,
SS
Old 26th February 2017, 17:11   #2091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Could you please give details on how to drive across Sawantwadi to join the NH66 bypass. The last time I turned right after the lake and ended up back on the Insuli road again. Locals had no idea how to reach NH 66.
Sure, mate!

I presume you're travelling from Amboli through Sawantwadi to Goa.

Once you reach Sawantwadi, drive past the ST bus depot, and reach the lake, you can choose to take the 'RIGHT TURN' before the lake or the one after it (I prefer the one 'after' because it is a bit wider and less congested). Just drive till you reach a 'T' junction. Take a 'LEFT TURN' here and drive straight through every road. You'll pass through a few cross-city roads and a ghat section through a small forest. Keep driving straight on the main road till you see a huge flyover going across 'ABOVE' the road you're driving on. That's the NH 66. Just take a 'LEFT TURN' and merge into it.

Yes, the locals are not very knowledgeable. I know as I struggled the first time asking them. Even a lady cop didn't know anything about NH 66.
The key is to take only one 'RIGHT TURN' and then keep straight.

I've included two screenshots of Google maps on this comment to show the direction I've been taking. It also shows the alternative one I mentioned about in the close up.

Hope I've been helpful here
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-sawantwadi-suzuki.jpg  

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-2-sawantwadi-suzuki.jpg  

Dr.Sav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2017, 17:25   #2092
BHPian

Hi Dr. Sav,

Thanks a lot for the quick response.

The route you have posted is exactly the one I followed except that I must have turned off a bit earlier than I should have - on seeing the flyover.
I usually use the Chorla road and so am not as familiar with the Amboli route.
Cheers,
SS
Old 28th February 2017, 18:48   #2093
BHPian

Just back from a Pune-Goa-Pune weekend trip.

Took Amboli route both ways and must say that the road condition is much better now that earlier. Some of the part from Nipali turn till the ghat section is newly laid. No potholes either.

Took 7.5 hours one way with 30 mins break.
the_skyliner is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2017, 12:13   #2094
BHPian

Minor update -

Drove to Amboli ghat and back to Belgaum a few days back. Amboli ghat road is still in a pristine condition, absolutely super smooth. Road from Belgaum to Amboli is mix of patchy and smooth sections but overall remains good. The cool weather in the hills just drove me crazy.

Would recommend Hotel Ruby resort,Amboli as a good stopover. It falls on right going towards Goa, few kms before you touch Amboli ghat.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-img_20170310_125623.jpg  

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-img_20170310_130141.jpg  

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-img_20170310_151307.jpg  

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-img_20170313_121133.jpg  

Last edited by vivek95 : 13th March 2017 at 12:24.
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2017, 17:01   #2095
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

Planning for Goa this weekend. Will be leaving from Pune at around 6pm. While we always take the Chorla ghat, was planning to go via the Ajra-Amboli route this time.
The previous posts do mention that the ghat section is in great shape, however this time around Google seems to be suggesting me an alternate route to Bypass Sawantwadi altogether and go via Banda.

Have a few queries on this one...
Has anyone taken this route?
How is the road condition on this stretch, is it worth taking a detour from the standard route, I mean does it even save time?
Is the exit to take this route clearly visible or should I be looking out for some villages for this.
Safe to travel by night (considering we might be crossing this part post mid-night definitely)

The ride is an Aria (4*4) so rough sections are not a major issue.

Edited: Ok, I just tried searching again and this time I found a recent update (Nov-2016 , Post #2003) T18 has advised to avoid this stretch as it was really bad. In case anyone else has had a more pleasant experience post November, will consider it or will just ignore Google boy.

Cheers!

Last edited by Trojan : 27th March 2017 at 17:08. Reason: Edited
Old 27th March 2017, 17:42   #2096
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
Hi Everyone,

Planning for Goa this weekend. Will be leaving from Pune at around 6pm. While we always take the Chorla ghat, was planning to go via the Ajra-Amboli route this time.

Edited: Ok, I just tried searching again and this time I found a recent update (Nov-2016 , Post #2003) T18 has advised to avoid this stretch as it was really bad. In case anyone else has had a more pleasant experience post November, will consider it or will just ignore Google boy.

Cheers!
Ignore Google and take the usual road through Sawantwadi. Considering that you would be crossing it around mid-night, it shouldn't matter to drive through the town.

Amoboli ghat road is in quite good condition.
the_skyliner is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2017, 08:56   #2097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Ignore Google and take the usual road through Sawantwadi. Considering that you would be crossing it around mid-night, it shouldn't matter to drive through the town.

Amoboli ghat road is in quite good condition.
Thanks Skyliner!
Will avoid it, but I must say that the lure of driving through a new route is lucrative.
Old 1st April 2017, 09:03   #2098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Dr. Sav,

Regards,
SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sav View Post
Sure, mate!

I presume you're travelling from Amboli through Sawantwadi to Goa.
Here's how I do it.

Once I enter sawantwadi and reach the lake, I halt aside and search for 'Sonurli, Maharshtra'. This village is on NH66 right where we have to come out. The gps coordinates are 15.875277, 73.801448.

Like you guys I have also been confused all the time in this area. But doing this saves my hassle.
TaurusAl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 13:06   #2099
BHPian

Planning a trip from Mumbai to Goa via pune, appreciate inputs on recent road conditions , previously (2yrs back) have taken the chorla ghats road and it was quiet good at the time , any recent inputs would be good.
Am headed to south Goa road recommendations are also welcome
Old 17th April 2017, 13:56   #2100
BHPian

Chorla ghat is the best route for South Goa. I did it early February, and a friend was on it early April. It continues to be in good condition.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks