Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2017, 06:26   #2161
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

NH17 all the way from Mumbai to Goa is a pain in the rear. Too long and too much stress since there are no median strips for the most part. Take NH4 till Kolhapur, cross Sahyadris down to the Konkan, cross NH17 and use the state highways by the sea for a few hours for all the scenery and then come back to NH17 for the remaining drive to Goa.
Old 5th September 2017, 08:21   #2162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
NH17 all the way from Mumbai to Goa is a pain in the rear. Too long and too much stress since there are no median strips for the most part. Take NH4 till Kolhapur, cross Sahyadris down to the Konkan, cross NH17 and use the state highways by the sea for a few hours for all the scenery and then come back to NH17 for the remaining drive to Goa.
Thanks!
Can you please plot the route...I didn't understand it completely
Old 5th September 2017, 09:17   #2163
Senior - BHPian

I am not so good at plotting routes, but this should help:
https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Ko...15.2993265!3e0

The grey road is the one to take to Talere from Kolhapur. Note that NH 17 is now called 66 as shown on the map.

You leave NH 4 from Mumbai to Bangalore at Kolhapur, cross the city to descend the Gaganbawda ghat and reach Talere on NH 17, and go further west to the sea, till you reach the state highway 4 that runs south along the sea. Stay on that road till you reach Vengurla where you turn left to head again towards NH 17 which you will reach before Sawantwadi. Right turn and then on NH17 all the way to Goa.

Using this route, Kolhapur to Goa will take about 10-12 hours. The direct route to Goa is about 5 hours. The scenic route is longer and slower.
PS: If you plan this route, an overnight halt in Kolhapur is advisable. And if you like your sea food, plan lunch at Malvan. I know people from Goa that go there for lunch!

Last edited by Sawyer : 5th September 2017 at 09:29. Reason: PS
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 11:23   #2164
Senior - BHPian

What is the current status of the Ajra-Amboli route after the heavy lashings of rain that the region has received over the past couple of weeks ? For a destination in North Goa , what would be quicker (and easier) for a small hatchback , the longer Chorla route or the Amboli route ?
Old 5th September 2017, 13:03   #2165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post

The grey road is the one to take to Talere from Kolhapur. Note that NH 17 is now called 66 as shown on the map.

You leave NH 4 from Mumbai to Bangalore at Kolhapur, cross the city to descend the Gaganbawda ghat and reach Talere on NH 17, and go further west to the sea, till you reach the state highway 4 that runs south along the sea. Stay on that road till you reach Vengurla where you turn left to head again towards NH 17 which you will reach before Sawantwadi. Right turn and then on NH17 all the way to Goa.
Thanks Sawyer!
That's a great help. However, I will be either traveling on NH 4 or SH4, crossing NH66. If the coastal route is the SH4 then what is so enchanting about NH66 that everybody lists it as a 'must to drive on route'.
Also the time consumed from Kolhapur to Goa is making me rethink on taking the diversion from Kolhapur.

How are the roads if we go straight from Kolhapur to Goa?
Old 5th September 2017, 13:17   #2166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
For a destination in North Goa , what would be quicker (and easier) for a small hatchback , the longer Chorla route or the Amboli route ?
For reaching North Goa from Pune, my preference is Amboli route. Barring bad patches in amboli ghat, Ajra-Amboli route isn't bad. Both ends of Amboli ghat were resurfaced earlier this year, not sure how they have fared in recent rains.
sukiwa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 13:35   #2167
Senior - BHPian

For Kolhapur to Goa, see the next post to your last one, #2166. You would go further down NH 4 on Kolhapur till you left it at Tawandi, to reach Amboli via Uttur and Ajra and thence to Goa, down Amboli Ghat to Sawantwadi.

Except for some broken patches on the Ajra Amboli section, these are good roads.

I have never understood the attraction for NH17 aka 66.

Last edited by Sawyer : 5th September 2017 at 13:37.
Old 5th September 2017, 14:45   #2168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
What is the current status of the Ajra-Amboli route after the heavy lashings of rain that the region has received over the past couple of weeks ? For a destination in North Goa , what would be quicker (and easier) for a small hatchback , the longer Chorla route or the Amboli route ?
Just returned via Amboli. Except for a few bad patches (easily doable in a hatch), the route is way faster than Chorla (considering the added traffic and around 20 speed breakers in Belgaum)

Suggested route for North Goa is Tavandi ghat (right turn at Goa Ves restaurant at the top of the ghat - Uttur - Ajra - Amboli - Sawantwadi - North Goa)
selfdrive is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 09:14   #2169
BHPian

Just an update..

Traveled to Goa on 2nd September

Route taken - Pune - Kolhapur (via Shiye)-Gagan Bawda-Vaibhav Wadi- Talere - Mithbav- Munge-Achra-Malvan-Dhamapur-Nerur-Zarap-Panaji

Little odd route I had to visit few places.

Except approx 6-7 km section between Vaibhav wadi and Talere, the road is in good condition. Driving trough small roads in konkan in this part of year is pleasure. it's all green and festive.

Returned on 5th September

On return came via Anmod Ghat as one of the persons in the group wanted to visit Dudhsagar falls. However, realised that at Kule you have to park the car and go with rider (Charges Rs.1000/person) and it will take couple of hours for whole trip, the idea was abandoned as the person wanting to go did not found idea of traveling on motorcycle comfortable.

So route was - Panaji - Ponda - Molem - Anmod- Belgaum (via Bhimagad Sanctuary)-Pune.

Except for few patches in Anmod ghat, particularly on turns, and few patches in Bhimagad sanctuary, the road is good. Again driving through Bhimagad is pleasure, even if it is bit slow as compared to going via Ramnagar.
CANPUSH is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 23:36   #2170
Senior - BHPian

Post GST, what is the fate of entry tax on 4-wheelers coming to Goa from outside the state. Has it been stopped or continuing as is?
Old 8th September 2017, 08:51   #2171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Post GST, what is the fate of entry tax on 4-wheelers coming to Goa from outside the state. Has it been stopped or continuing as is?
Are you referring to the entry tax of INR 250? I believe that has been scrapped - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post4249675
praveen789 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 09:17   #2172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
The booths at Chorla and also the one between Sawantwadi and Mapusa are closed.
Cars still being checked at Sawantwadi for documents on entry to Goa and for alcohol bottles on entry to Maharashtra.
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 21:18   #2173
BHPian

Hi all,

I am heading from Mumbai to Arossim Beach, Cansaulim in south Goa.

Please advise on which route will have the best roads? Also, I assume post monsoon repairs will happen only in November?

Thanks
Old 16th September 2017, 20:52   #2174
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

For Navi Mumbai-Palolem (South Goa), this is the gmaps suggested route:
Map Link

How are the road conditions on this route, especially Belgaum-Khanapur-Anmod ? The regular Anmod section is fine I think from the Goa thread posts. How is the Ponda bypass in this routing and subsequently via State highway before it merges back with NH 66 ?
Old 25th September 2017, 16:33   #2175
Senior - BHPian

Not current info , but did Goa (Candolim) -Pune about 10 days ago. Route taken was Pune->NH4->Right Turn at Goa Ves -> Uttur -> Ajara -> Amboli -> Sawantwadi -> Goa. Did not take the bypass to Sawantwadi as suggested by Google maps as I had read a few pages back that it is avoidable and not worth the time saved. I would say that the road conditions between Ajara and Amboli are moderate to bad, slowing down progress. Ghat sections though were excellent while going, visibility due to fog and rain was down to a dozen feet or less. Add "chaddi baniyan" drivers and tourists in the mix, and it was the only dampner along that stretch.
Took the same return route, and it seemed that the roads had taken a real battering in the rains. Potholes and bad patches had gone up considerably, though work was on at a furious pace to fix them. Watch out for some tyre killers, if they havent already been fixed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks