Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2018, 13:59   #2311
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Hi Folks

Would be driving down to Goa May end. Have booked a place at Majorda. Google suggest 2 routes, one via Amboli and another via Anmod. Though Amboli doesn't make sense, I am preferring Anmod.

Should I just follow what Google is suggesting? As google is notorious to put you through some horrible shortcuts.

Google Route

Belgaum-Khanapur-Shiroli-Anmod-Mollem-Camorlim-Nuvem-Majorda
Hi, i just drove from Bombay to Goa around the same time last month and stayed at Cavelossim. The route i used was via Amboli ghat and was fine except for a few stretches. My dad travelled a week before me to the same place. While going he used Amboli and while coming back he used the Belgaum forest road. And he found the Belgaum road to have bad patches. It was shorter kms wise but turned out to be longer time wise.
Let me know if you need any more information.
Reality is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2018, 21:35   #2312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
I beg to differ. I will recommend this road (Wildlife Sanctuary road) anytime over National Highway.
Sir,
The road thru the sanctuary is very narrow. You have to stop literally to allow incoming vehicles to pass you. You only suggested me last time to go thru Ramnagar and trust me, it was way easier and stress-free.
Old 11th April 2018, 00:05   #2313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Sir,

The road thru the sanctuary is very narrow. You have to stop literally to allow incoming vehicles to pass you. You only suggested me last time to go thru Ramnagar and trust me, it was way easier and stress-free.

Yes it's narrow in between but there aren't many cars coming from the opposite time. Most of the times you get two wheelers coming from the opposite side which shouldn't be a problem. In any case you would definitely save time as the traffic on that stretch is much lesser and it's a 15-20 kms shorter route.
Old 11th April 2018, 09:34   #2314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Yes it's narrow in between but there aren't many cars coming from the opposite time. Most of the times you get two wheelers coming from the opposite side which shouldn't be a problem. In any case you would definitely save time as the traffic on that stretch is much lesser and it's a 15-20 kms shorter route.
Depends on the time of the day, I drove between 11am and 1pm on this stretch. I didn't like it at all. My personal experience.

Time for driving the extra 15-20kms can be easily recovered, thru the other route.
Old 12th April 2018, 09:31   #2315
Senior - BHPian

The Pune - Satara stretch continues to have multiple diversions where work is in progress. The new bridge over Nira river has been opened since I went last time though there is a nasty diversion just before it (heading towards Satara).
Khambatki ghat is completely 3 laned now, so need to be more careful with many vehicles switching lanes at the various turns. After Khambatki it is a really nice road all the way to Karad, with only a couple of diversions; one within Satara city.

I am not sure if there is a separate thread for eateries on this route. Recommendation: do not go for the multiple hoardings all over the place. Please avoid Mahendra executive in Satara; I did not know they had only recently reopened. Terrible service, very few food options available from the menu and an overall waste of time for people driving out. There should be way better options elsewhere on the route.
selfdrive is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 16:52   #2316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Thanks guys. If the road is good I will definitely opt for it. Timings won't be an issue as I will hit that road during peak afternoon, as I am planning to leave Mumbai at 4AM.

BTW any chance of wildlife spotting?
You will definitely enjoy the route. Couple of things to look out for, one speed breakers & second, speed of the car. Keep an eye on sign boards for speed breakers. Since traffic will be sparser we will tend cruise at speed above 80 KMPH & I would advice against such speed.

Chances of spotting wildlife would be equal to none. It is because of the time. I am a regular customer to this road & have spotted Bison, Peacock, Jackal, Deer & Snakes. But I have spotted these animals whenever I enter this road right after it opens in the morning or it is about to be shut for the traffic. I have never spotted them during daytime.

Quote:
Hi All,

The route after Belgaum was tricky to say the least. We drove thru some wildlife sanctuary on a narrow singe lane road. After that we went thru some ghat with heavy truck traffic.

I was really tired at the end of the trip.

I am not sure if I lost the route somewhere.

I am planning to exit Goa early on the return trip and take the Chorla ghat route.
Quote:
Sir,
Sir, I agree I suggested NH-4A to you over wildlife Sanctuary road. But it was because of your post.

Trust me, I travel to Belgaum at least twice in a month. My rides are Scorpio (When alone)/Ertiga (When with kids) and both I drive pretty comfortably on this road.

There is no denial that wildlife road is narrower & may not be very comforting for first timers.

But if one is not in rush, will definitely enjoy the route.
Ertigiat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2018, 20:57   #2317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
I beg to differ. Road which is via Ramnagar is NH-748 (Erstwhile NH-4A) & is definitely not time saving one. In fact road through wildlife sanctuary cuts down your travel distance by at least 15-16 kms & saves minimum of 20-25 mins travel time. Forest road is narrow but without potholes. Roads have been repaired & tarmac is re-laid wherever required. If you travel during weekday you will reach from Khanapur to Anmod check post within 35 mins. Heavy vehicles are not allowed on this route so what you will come across is cars (occasionally trucks working for forest department) & traffic increases a little during weekend. But again nothing will be alarming. I will recommend this road (Wildlife Sanctuary road) anytime over National Highway.
I would agree, for any traffic from South Goa with a pre 7 am departure - this is by far the best of the roads I know. My claim to fame? Writing in as a Goan living in Mumbai and Pune and visiting home 2-3 times a year for nearly 4 decades.

For those leaving from North Goa, Amboli is the safest bet throughout the day, or night. Don't turn left after Amboli to Ajra / Uttur, head straight towards Gadhinglaj and the Sankeshwar junction at the NH4. Some swear by Radhanagiri instead of Amboli which is a quick route, though I don't much like the leg going through Kolhapur till the highway. Other options? Chorla is too long and isolated a ghat, Bhimgad is better anyway. Chandgad is an adventure when you have the time, and respectable ground clearance!

All this is assuming a start at 5-6 am, and I always recommend crossing your through city (Belgaum / Kolhapur) well before the city starts throbbing, usually around 10 am.

Hope this helps!
VivOverland is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 10:24   #2318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivOverland View Post
My claim to fame? Writing in as a Goan living in Mumbai and Pune and visiting home 2-3 times a year for nearly 4 decades.
Wow, I am jealous! Always wanted to have a cool native place like Goa

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivOverland View Post
Don't turn left after Amboli to Ajra / Uttur, head straight towards Gadhinglaj and the Sankeshwar junction at the NH4.
we used that route earlier, but there is too much traffic/ villages on the Gadhinglaj route and the road too narrow. we switched to the Uttur route as it was relatively wider and has better vistas. Has the Gadhinglaj road been widened since (maybe 2015)?

I prefer to reach Kolhapur a day earlier by leaving Pune in the afternoon, have darshan at the temple and stay overnight. Leaving early the next day ensures that I reach by checkin times at most hotels. This does add a day, but then who has ever complained about an additional day of holiday.
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 14:39   #2319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Wow, I am jealous! Always wanted to have a cool native place like Goa
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
we used that route earlier, but there is too much traffic/ villages on the Gadhinglaj route and the road too narrow. we switched to the Uttur route as it was relatively wider and has better vistas. Has the Gadhinglaj road been widened since (maybe 2015)?
I haven't measured the 2 roads but Gadhinlaj road certainly seems wider possibly because of the soft shoulder which allows for higher average speeds. You also get to maximize distance on the excellent Amboli - Belgaum highway before you turn for G'glaj, and then more high speed travel on the GQ. Uttur road is very narrow, gets hammered every monsoon, and entry and exit to Ajra has too many tractor trailers to my liking. All this is basis ETD I've mentioned earlier.

An early start via Kolhapur makes my point moot anyway, both roads would be clear as Sprite
Old 17th April 2018, 10:19   #2320
BHPian

Hi guys, Iam planning to drive from Delhi- Goa in mid May with the following pit stops:-

Delhi- Bhopal- halt for a day at In laws
Bhopal - Pune / Mumbai
Pune / Mumbai - Panaji, Goa

Would appreciate if I can get suggestions on route and pit stop to be taken from Bhopal en route to Goa. I have suggested Pune / Mumbai considering the distance and driving time (13-15 hours as per google) from Bhopal.

Route to be taken from 2nd pit stop to Panaji.

I will be travelling with wifey and 7 years old daughter and driving Innova Crysta AT.

Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 10:53   #2321
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSK22 View Post
Hi guys, Iam planning to drive from Delhi- Goa in mid May with the following pit stops:-

Delhi- Bhopal- halt for a day at In laws
Bhopal - Pune / Mumbai
Pune / Mumbai - Panaji, Goa

Would appreciate if I can get suggestions on route and pit stop to be taken from Bhopal en route to Goa. I have suggested Pune / Mumbai considering the distance and driving time (13-15 hours as per google) from Bhopal.

Route to be taken from 2nd pit stop to Panaji.
If you're coming from Bhopal towards Goa, Mumbai will be an unnecessary deviation. You can do Bhopal - Pune.

Pune - Goa is about 8-9 hours average.

If you feel Bhopal - Pune is too long (~13 hours), you can break the journey at Ahmednagar, which is two hours before Pune.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 11:26   #2322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
If you're coming from Bhopal towards Goa, Mumbai will be an unnecessary deviation. You can do Bhopal - Pune.

Pune - Goa is about 8-9 hours average.

If you feel Bhopal - Pune is too long (~13 hours), you can break the journey at Ahmednagar, which is two hours before Pune.
Even I was thinking just that. Mumbai, I will avoid for sure. So Ahmednagar or Pune it is. Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 17:19   #2323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSK22 View Post
Even I was thinking just that. Mumbai, I will avoid for sure. So Ahmednagar or Pune it is. Thanks
For Pune you need to exit Agra- Mumbai highway at Malegaon, approx 100 kms before Nashik.
In case you decide to stay over on the way rather than driving up to Pune, Shirdi will offer you better hotels than Ahmednagar.
Shirdi will be 85 kms before Ahmednagar (approx 1.30 hrs). Shirdi Pune will be 3.30 hrs.
You can do Shirdi-Panaji in 10-11 hrs in normal traffic conditions. But considering you will leave Shirdi/ Ahmednagar by 6 am crossing Pune after 8 am will be pain and will add at least one hour of travel time.

If you can halt at Pune and start early (Before 6 am) for Panaji that will save lot of time and energy.
CANPUSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 17:46   #2324
BHPian

I think that's what Iam going to do. Depending on the distance I can cover from Bhopal , first option - Pune, 2nd - Ahmednagar and 3rd Shirdi. Thanks for the inputs.
Old 19th April 2018, 22:59   #2325
BHPian

A little heads up on the route from Mumbai to Kolhapur and back.

I departed Vashi for Kolhapur on 17th Tuesday and returned today 19th.

On Tuesday, there was some maintenance work being carried out on the expressway at
1. Start of expressway from Mumbai side.
2. Entire patch between the two exits to Lonavala
The maintenance between the two exits to Lonavala backed up a lot of traffic on the expressway and at certain patches, instead of it being 3 laned, it was reduced to becoming a single lane passage causing more traffic congestion.
Guys taking the expressway this weekend, please factor these delays into your planning.

Return passage was a breeze since I did the expressway in the afternoon.

On the return passage, approx 2 kms after the Talegaon toll, a new food court is being constructed called - Woodstock Food Mall & Heliport
The food court is still in its construction phase but has clean washrooms and a McDonalds under construction.

The next food court is now shuttered but the HP outlet is operational.
The food court after Lonavala is worth stopping at especially when travelling with ladies. Decent food options and clean washrooms.

Last edited by Ithaca : 19th April 2018 at 23:09.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks