Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2018, 12:09   #2356
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Just returning from my Goa trip and back in office in Mumbai. Since I was in Canacona ( near Palolem), I took the Belgaum- Bhagwan Mahavir Sanctuary- Mollem and then blindly following google maps to reach my destination. I started at 7.40 am from Mumbai and reached our resort at 7.20 pm with just 1 x half an hour tea & snacks break somewhere at around 5 pm ( we had daughter No. 2 aged 4 with us, who was sleeping and didn't want to break her sleep during the planned lunch break at Opal, Kolhapur).
My question is after the belgaum bhaji market and a few round abouts, one comes at a fork which says Panaji on the right and the other one is unmarked (we took the left one for Bhagwan Mahavir sanctuary -Mollem Road), where does that road lead to ? Is that the Chorla Ghat route?
A pointer to everyone, do download offline maps, as this road is networkless.

While returning, we came via Sawantwadi ( to purchase Mangoes) and stopped for lunch at Mahalaxmi Bhojnaylay. The non-veg fare is to die for there.
Anyone using the Amboli route, if your lunch break is at Sawantwadi ( which is kind of not possible if starting from Mumbai or returning to Mumbai), do stop here. As we were breaking our journey in Kolhapur for a night, we managed to stop for lunch in Sawantwadi. This place is open till 3- 3.30 for lunch, as we finished by 3.30 and people were still coming.

P.S. People who have visited Palolem, there is this place called Butterfly Island. Google mapped us in an off-road route via Leopard Valley road. I went on for a kilometer and half and then for the sake of my City's well-being parked it and started walking. (Had to return mid-way, as some big animal [could have been a Monkey too]) passed from behind and we got scared for our lives.
Is Butterfly Island reachable by that Road ( in a sedan/Pseudo SUV's?)

Last edited by riteshritesh : 14th May 2018 at 12:15.
Old 15th May 2018, 09:10   #2357
Senior - BHPian

Returned from Goa to Pune this Saturday via Amboli ghat.

For the first time on this route, I was not driving. We left from Panaji at 945am reached Kolhapur at 1pm after a couple of 10 min stops to buy jackfruits before Amboli and some rice at Ajra. Left Parakh in Kolhapur at 230 pm after a heavy lunch and reached Kothrud, Pune at 7pm (another 30mins stop at Aaram before Khamabatki for kids)

Interestingly, the driver bypassed Sawantwadi altogether. He turned right at Nimgajwadi and took a smaller road that directly reached the village before Amboli ghat. It saved us the long winding road from Sawantwadi to Amboli and also the regular police checkpost on NH17. While going from Amboli towards Goa, it is the first left turn immediately after the village. The left turn takes us directly to Nimgajwadi and no need to go to Sawantwadi at all. However, cops are present at this fork too and check all vehicles in both directions. I guess they were not so interested in people carrying jackfruits
I dont know if people follow this route; till now I always went all the way to Sawantwadi. However, now I see this is as the best possible route for North Goa and Panjim. The road surface for this section was decent and very less traffic too.

The road surface from Nimgajwadi - Amboli - Ajra - Uttur - Nipani is quite decent. Maybe a couple of bad patches but could be done easily.

The rest of the journey from Kolhapur to Pune was uneventful apart from the usual traffic pileups at toll plazas; which was a bit surprising for a Saturday evening.

Last edited by selfdrive : 15th May 2018 at 09:12.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 09:40   #2358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Interestingly, the driver bypassed Sawantwadi altogether.
Is this the route?

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-routebypasssawantwadi.jpg
Old 15th May 2018, 09:54   #2359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Is this the route?
yes sir, this is the route. The river was to our left as we approached Amboli.
In my estimate, it saved us minimum 20 minutes assuming little traffic in/ around Sawantwadi (or not getting stuck behind any slow moving vehicles on that small ghat).
Edit: maybe I felt at home near the village whose name starts with B

Last edited by selfdrive : 15th May 2018 at 09:57.
Old 15th May 2018, 12:18   #2360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
My question is after the belgaum bhaji market and a few round abouts, one comes at a fork which says Panaji on the right and the other one is unmarked (we took the left one for Bhagwan Mahavir sanctuary -Mollem Road), where does that road lead to ? Is that the Chorla Ghat route?
A pointer to everyone, do download offline maps, as this road is networkless.
The road on right goes to Jamboti and Chorla. The left one goes to Ganeshgudi. On the way you can divert to Amnod ghat from Khanapur via Bhimagad sanctuary (Only open during daytime) or from Ramnagar.

Quote:
Returned from Goa to Pune this Saturday via Amboli ghat.

Interestingly, the driver bypassed Sawantwadi altogether. He turned right at Nimgajwadi and took a smaller road that directly reached the village before Amboli ghat. It saved us the long winding road from Sawantwadi to Amboli and also the regular police checkpost on NH17. While going from Amboli towards Goa, it is the first left turn immediately after the village. The left turn takes us directly to Nimgajwadi and no need to go to Sawantwadi at all. However, cops are present at this fork too and check all vehicles in both directions. I guess they were not so interested in people carrying jackfruits
I dont know if people follow this route; till now I always went all the way to Sawantwadi. However, now I see this is as the best possible route for North Goa and Panjim. The road surface for this section was decent and very less traffic too.

The road surface from Nimgajwadi - Amboli - Ajra - Uttur - Nipani is quite decent. Maybe a couple of bad patches but could be done easily.
This means the road that was previously in very bad shape, almost non existant, is now in good shape. That's a good news!!
Old 16th May 2018, 17:47   #2361
BHPian

Quote:
yes sir, this is the route. The river was to our left as we approached Amboli.
In my estimate, it saved us minimum 20 minutes assuming little traffic in/ around Sawantwadi (or not getting stuck behind any slow moving vehicles on that small ghat).
Edit: maybe I felt at home near the village whose name starts with B
Google catches this route while showing navigation, nothing new. What I usually do is I use the fast road (expressway) till village called Insuli and then I turn from there, takes a bit shorter time.

How I know is, near Banda, once I had a crazy driver over taking each and every vehicle in a rash and negligent manner. He turned at this road at Banda and I went straight till Insuli. When I was on Amboli road again, he over took me again in same rash manner after about 5 minutes of joining there. Assuming he did not stop anywhere, he was behind me even after driving so rashly from this route.

Last edited by TaurusAl : 16th May 2018 at 17:48.
Old 17th May 2018, 00:28   #2362
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Have just driven down to Goa with a friend in his car.
Used the Amboli road as that is what he prefers. Generally an uneventful journey. Took exactly 11 hours from Andheri to Mapuca as we were taking it easy and made several stops along the way.
Pleased to note that there are now only 7 diversions between Poona and Satara/Karad as opposed to the 11 there used to be.
Stopped at Sai International for breakfast. Clean washrooms but very disappointing food. Soggy "dosas" and watery sambar.
Stopped at Kaveri Restaurant at the Nipani turn off for lunch. This restaurant has just been refurbished and what a difference. A/C section, clean washrooms and the "Mutton Handi" was really good. Highly recommended.
The road from Nipani to Sawantwadi is much improved. Just a few rough patches around Ajra and before Amboli but nothing to worry any vehicle. The ghat road is really good. Almost like a carpet with just a couple of rough patches.
We stopped at Minerva Restaurant at Ajra to use the washrooms which were quite clean. There is a new ice cream place in the parking lot of Minerva called Valentino's. Pretty good ice cream and really cheap.
Lost quite a bit of time at the toll booths as usual.

Regards,
SS
Old 17th May 2018, 11:28   #2363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Hi Folks

Would be driving down to Goa May end. Have booked a place at Majorda. Google suggest 2 routes, one via Amboli and another via Anmod. Though Amboli doesn't make sense, I am preferring Anmod.

Should I just follow what Google is suggesting? As google is notorious to put you through some horrible shortcuts.

Google Route

Belgaum-Khanapur-Shiroli-Anmod-Mollem-Camorlim-Nuvem-Majorda
Travelling next week to Majorda. Somehow for reasons unknown my previous link shows route via Amboli instead of Anmod.

Is there any way to bypass Belgaum traffic?

I am sticking to Belgaum-Khanapur-Shiroli-Bhimgad sanctuary-Anmod-Mollem-Piliem-Borim-Camorlim-Nuvem-Majorda
Old 17th May 2018, 11:36   #2364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Is there any way to bypass Belgaum traffic?
Not that I am aware of. As someone who prefers the Chorla/Anmod routes, let me assure you that crossing Belgaum isn't as bad as it's made out to be.

While travelling to Goa, I start from Pune at 6:00 AM and reach Hotel Ramdev for lunch around 12:00. After a 30-45 min break, it usually takes me 15-20 minutes to reach Piranwadi cross at that time of the day. Even though there is traffic, it is moving and well regulated. Also, the 3-4 km stretch from a little distance after the 3rd railway gate to Piranwadi cross is now 4 laned, and can be covered faster than when it was 2 laned.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 17th May 2018 at 11:44.
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2018, 15:16   #2365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
I am from Mumbai and have seen worse agreed, but here i am not comparing Mumbai and Belgaum, but Belgaum and Amboli route which lets you escape the traffic if you ignore some broken patches along the way.

The fuss is about that it slows me down and frustrates me, and I dont like to be frustrated by traffic conditions when I am driving 10 hours at a stretch to reach Goa from Mumbai.
Guess we both are alike. If you don't like slowing down then you should definitely try Belgaum - Anmod - South Goa route. Once you enter Karanataka (post Kognoli toll) it is absolute breeze till you enter Belgaum. It is matter of 8-9 kms where you have to face city traffic.

Belgaum - Goa road being national highway, is wider than Amboli route.

I was fan of Amboli route. In fact in the past I have recommended people to opt for Amboli over Anmod. There were reasons for it. Route till Khanapur was in pathetic condition. The road widening in Belgaum was in process. Driving through Anmod was very tiring experience.

Fast forward 2016 & route till Khanapur is relaid. Widening of roads inside the Belgaum city is complete. Whereas on the Amboli route, construction of third bridge over Mandovi started, New bridge construction over river Zuari started. Amboli route not only became slower but lot more hectic once you enter Goa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Not that I am aware of. As someone who prefers the Chorla/Anmod routes, let me assure you that crossing Belgaum isn't as bad as it's made out to be.
I second that. It usually doesn't take more than half hour (at max) for one to cross Belgaum city.
Old 17th May 2018, 17:39   #2366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
Guess we both are alike. If you don't like slowing down then you should definitely try Belgaum - Anmod - South Goa route. Once you enter Karanataka (post Kognoli toll) it is absolute breeze till you enter Belgaum. It is matter of 8-9 kms where you have to face city traffic.

Belgaum - Goa road being national highway, is wider than Amboli route.

Fast forward 2016 & route till Khanapur is relaid. Widening of roads inside the Belgaum city is complete. Whereas on the Amboli route, construction of third bridge over Mandovi started, New bridge construction over river Zuari started. Amboli route not only became slower but lot more hectic once you enter Goa.
Good info, Thanks.

My place is in porvorim. Hence the bridge constructions dosen't bother me.

I am leaving last Sunday of this month. I have just installed Fastag on my XUV. Will share the experience. If anyone uses and if any tips to follow on this route for its effective usage, please do share.
Old 19th May 2018, 12:21   #2367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
Good info, Thanks.

My place is in porvorim. Hence the bridge constructions dosen't bother me.

I have just installed Fastag on my XUV. Will share the experience.
Amboli will be best for you to reach Parvari.

On Express highway and First two tolls after Pune. Everyone is using lane reserved for Fastag and they don't charge double amount to cash payers as displayed on the board. So it will take time.

After Satara there is preferential treatment. Fastag lane on these toll plazas is generally blocked with a movable barrier and a person seating there will move the barrier and allow you to enter only if sees Fastag on your windscreen. You can then just breeze past..

Happy journey.
CANPUSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2018, 14:00   #2368
BHPian

Just back from my North Goa trip. Started at 6:45 AM and reached Sai International in 3 hours 15 mins for a pit stop. I know the food there is terrible so we had a quick coffee and were off in 15 mins. It makes a lot of sense to keep moving and eat a packed breakfast in the car itself. Followed MoralFibre's advice and turned off from NH4 at Hotel Goa Ves and used the Nippani - Ajra link road via Uttur. Absolutely no issues on this road, apart from some unmarked speed breakers till Uttur that can catch you unawares. Entire Amboli ghat section seems to be relaid and we made good time till Sawantwadi. Was having lunch in North Goa at 2:15 PM

On my return trip, we stayed at my in-law's place at Dapoli for a couple of days, so got to ride on the Mumbai Goa highway all the way up to Khed after a long time. There are a lot of road widening work going on (looks like they are making a 6 or 8 lane road) after you pass Sawantwadi, which leaves a narrow road that is barely wide enough for 2 trucks to cross till Devgad.

Dapoli to Pune stretch was on my tried and tested route via Mandangad - Mhapral - Ambet ghat - Tamhini ghat. Home in 4 hrs 15 mins
jogidada is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 07:46   #2369
BHPian

Query -

We are going to Guhagar from Jalgaon tomorrow, and plan to do it in a day. I have the following questions -

1. Which route should be taken from Pune? Road which is not undergoing any work and is smooth is preferred, even if distance increases.

2. Whether summer like temperatures in that region have come down a bit and whether rains have started?
Old 1st June 2018, 08:47   #2370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Query -

1. Which route should be taken from Pune? Road which is not undergoing any work and is smooth is preferred, even if distance increases.
You can take the "Patan" route (Pune>Satara>Umbraj>Patan>Chiplun>Guhaghar).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
2. Whether summer like temperatures in that region have come down a bit and whether rains have started?
It has come down a little and in fact there is some precipitation forecasted.

Most Viewed