Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2018, 14:20   #2341

Planning a week long trip to Moodbidri near Mangalore from Pune. The idea is to start by around 3 am on 10th May from Kharadi in Pune , so as to reach the destination before sundown. Any suggestions on the best route to take, good hotels for pit stops ? The trip will be with my wife, but I will be the lone driver. Going for a wedding on 13th May at Udupi, and then free till the 19th when I make the return trip. Hence any suggestions of good places to visit around Mangalore would be welcome
Old 6th May 2018, 21:00   #2342
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Drove to Wildernest in Chorla ghat for a weekend trip with family. The pain of passing Belgaum city traffic and hundreds of speed breakers all the way till Chorla can't be expressed. I continue to believe that Amboli is the best bet to Goa.

Chorla route is good if you can live with the array of speed bumps everywhere and can manage to route through the painful traffic of Belgaum and Piranwadi.
Try Dharwad -- Anmod -- Goa. It's bit longer but more scenic compared to Amboli and in good shape too.

How is wildernest resort ? Is it worth it going in summers ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick78 View Post
Planning a week long trip to Moodbidri near Mangalore from Pune. The idea is to start by around 3 am on 10th May from Kharadi in Pune , so as to reach the destination before sundown. Any suggestions on the best route to take, good hotels for pit stops ? The trip will be with my wife, but I will be the lone driver. Going for a wedding on 13th May at Udupi, and then free till the 19th when I make the return trip. Hence any suggestions of good places to visit around Mangalore would be welcome

Pune -- Satara -- Kholapur -- Belgaum -- Hubli -- Ankola -- Udupi

You can try Kayaking in Udupil. Also, Jog falls , Murudeshwar temple is near by.
Old 6th May 2018, 22:00   #2343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who_are_you View Post
Try Dharwad -- Anmod -- Goa. It's bit longer but more scenic compared to Amboli and in good shape too.

Pune -- Satara -- Kholapur -- Belgaum -- Hubli -- Ankola -- Udupi

You can try Kayaking in Udupil. Also, Jog falls , Murudeshwar temple is near by.
Thanks a lot. Any news on the road conditions ? Especially between Ankola and Udupi on the NH17
Old 7th May 2018, 06:48   #2344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick78 View Post
Thanks a lot. Any news on the road conditions ? Especially between Ankola and Udupi on the NH17
Due to road wideing mang diversion between Kumta and Kundapur. Rest if fine.

Beware of Truckers and Buses on this patch.
Old 7th May 2018, 08:37   #2345
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

It is not just a bit longer but way longer if going via Pune. I agree it is quite scenic since we've taken the route once.

Wildernest is awesome. Been on my wishlist for quite long. Finally managed to get some bookings done for a 2 day stay.
Old 7th May 2018, 12:49   #2346
BHPian

Hi guys, planning to ride to Goa from Mumbai on the 1st of June for a wedding and will be back on the 5th. Any suggested routes for a bike ride, this is going to be my first ride to Goa.

Generally when I drive, I prefer the Belgaum/Chorla route cos it's faster as opposed to being about 30km(?) longer. The Nipani Amboli route to Goa was in bad, and would prefer not taking my bike that way.

Any pointers will be really helpful, thanks!
Old 7th May 2018, 14:23   #2347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
Any suggested routes for a bike ride, this is going to be my first ride to Goa.
For your Vulcan, please stick with Chorla route.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2018, 23:53   #2348
BHPian

Quote:
Chorla route is good if you can live with the array of speed bumps everywhere and can manage to route through the painful traffic of Belgaum and Piranwadi.
The time taken through Chorla is also more than Amboli if reaching anywhere around North Goa beaches to Panjim. The road is scenic no doubt and also butter smooth as compared to Nipani Amboli, However as rightly pointed out the traffic in Belgaum gives me stress. Hence I avoid it normally.
TaurusAl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2018, 10:58   #2349
BHPian

Just back from trip -

Pune - Kolhapur - Gagan Bawda - Vaibhavwadi - Talere - Kanakvali - Aachra - Malvan - Nerur - Kavalem (Goa)

Return via Chorla Ghat.

Vaibhavwadi - Talere section is under repairs and by this weekend it should get complete. There are few rough patches in Gaganbawda - Karul ghat section.
NH66 (Old NH17) is being upgraded to four lanes between Nandgaon and Zarap. As a result huge number of diversions are there throughout. Once it gets complete, it will be like Zarap-Patradevi section.

Kanakvali -Aachra road has also worn out. Needs resurfacing soon.

Road via Chorla ghat is in great shape as usual. As I was driving GT TSI speed bumps in Goa and Karnataka did not bothered me much.
Old 10th May 2018, 13:21   #2350
BHPian

Quote:
Fro: cavelossim-- Cabo de rama -- Palolem --Talpona -- Dandeli -- Dharwad -- Belgaum - Kohlapur -- Satara -- Pune
Probably this has be one of the longest route taken by someone to reach Pune from Palolem. Any specific reason that you went all the way till Dharwad to touch NH-4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
Most of Mumbai people take Pune - Kolhapur - Nipani - Ajra - Amboli - Sawantwadi - Goa (NH48) route
or Kolhapur - Belgaum - Jamboti - Chorla - Goa route.
I think we are forgetting Belgaum-Anmod-Goa route. It is the fastest & best route to reach South Goa (Read areas around Margao).

Quote:
Drove to Wildernest in Chorla ghat for a weekend trip with family. The pain of passing Belgaum city traffic and hundreds of speed breakers all the way till Chorla can't be expressed. I continue to believe that Amboli is the best bet to Goa.
Other than Chorla route there is no alternative to reach Wildernest & Amboli route is best bet for people reaching North Goa. Amboli route is absolute no-no if you want to reach South Goa.

Quote:
It is way too longer to reach Goa. It should easily add couple of hours or more to your journey in case you want to reach Goa in case you are travelling from Mumbai/Pune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
Hi guys, planning to ride to Goa from Mumbai on the 1st of June for a wedding and will be back on the 5th. Any suggested routes for a bike ride, this is going to be my first ride to Goa.
Goa is a state. share place you are visiting. If it is somewhere around North Goa then I would recommend Amboli route but if it is somewhere is South Goa then please take Anmod route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
The time taken through Chorla is also more than Amboli if reaching anywhere around North Goa beaches to Panjim. The road is scenic no doubt and also butter smooth as compared to Nipani Amboli, However as rightly pointed out the traffic in Belgaum gives me stress. Hence I avoid it normally.
I totally agree. Amboli is the best route to reach Northern part of Goa from Mumbai/Pune. Chorla route is more beneficial for people travelling to North Goa from Bangalore.

But somehow I fail to understand fuss about Belgaum traffic. I believe for folks driving in Pune & Mumbai on daily basis this should be cake walk.
Ertigiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2018, 13:53   #2351
BHPian

No reason as such.

I have done all route connecting NH4 to NH17 except Dharwad - Goa highway.
Who_are_you is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2018, 14:30   #2352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
I totally agree. Amboli is the best route to reach Northern part of Goa from Mumbai/Pune.
I will be travelling from Pune to North Goa next week. Amboli route seems to be a no brainer. I see 2 options to reach Amboli ghat section:
1. Turn off from NH4 at Hotel Goa Ves and use the Nippani - Ajra link road via Uttur
2. Continue on till Sankeshwar and go via Gadhinglaj (marked as NH 134 on Google Maps)

I tried option 1 last year because it was shorter but the roads were not in great shape. Is option 2 better, considering the fantastic stretch of road 15-20 mins prior to Sankeshwar?
Old 10th May 2018, 22:28   #2353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
But somehow I fail to understand fuss about Belgaum traffic. I believe for folks driving in Pune & Mumbai on daily basis this should be cake walk.
I am from Mumbai and have seen worse agreed, but here i am not comparing Mumbai and Belgaum, but Belgaum and Amboli route which lets you escape the traffic if you ignore some broken patches along the way.

The fuss is about that it slows me down and frustrates me, and I dont like to be frustrated by traffic conditions when I am driving 10 hours at a stretch to reach Goa from Mumbai.
Old 11th May 2018, 11:27   #2354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogidada View Post
I will be travelling from Pune to North Goa next week. Amboli route seems to be a no brainer. I see 2 options to reach Amboli ghat section:
1. Turn off from NH4 at Hotel Goa Ves and use the Nippani - Ajra link road via Uttur
2. Continue on till Sankeshwar and go via Gadhinglaj (marked as NH 134 on Google Maps)

I tried option 1 last year because it was shorter but the roads were not in great shape. Is option 2 better, considering the fantastic stretch of road 15-20 mins prior to Sankeshwar?
Don't expect any better roads going via Gadhinglaj. Uttur-Ajra route has narrow roads but surface is now better than Sankeshwar-Gadhinglaj-Ajra stretch. Going via Gadhinglaj adds few more kms.

Now exiting AH47 for Gadhinglaj has little prominent marker. There is a new BP petrol pump in addition to Sai restaurant (Blue vault roof) both on left where you need to take service road to reach Sankeshwar-Gadhinglaj road.

Happy driving!!
CANPUSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2018, 07:49   #2355
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogidada View Post

Stick to option 1. Barring Ajara and the small section in Amboli, the route pretty much has traffic free village roads. On option 2, the amount of time it takes to cross Gadhinglaj town is a lot. I'd avoid it.

Nipani - Uttur - Ajara - Amboli has been relaid with barely any section left where you'll have to slow down. Stick to this route.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks