Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2012, 16:58   #841
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
I think this Kalamba jail is on Gargoti road.
Though the roads are good in city, outsider will not know exact roads.
Last week, i was in kolhapur, the city traffic is worsened since my last visit.
I agree, the worst possible traffic i found on my way from Goa to Mumbai was in Kolhapur. Complete frustration. I am never taking the Gagan Bavda route because of this reason. Or one has to anticipate the timing to cross Kolhapur city in the wee hours or at night.
Old 12th June 2012, 12:31   #842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheelz View Post
Updates on my goa trip last week.
From Pune to Goa, took the route through Kagal as suggested by Ashish. Good roads throughout. Route passes through villages but roads are wide and traffic is sparse. You can maintain speeds around 70-80km/hr on this route. .
Thank you Ashish for the Kagal route suggestion.
bigwheelz (sounds nice, like country music and a truck song)
So is there any land mark to the turning at kagal, or if you have a photo or maybe just a description cos it seems to be a good alternative to the ones further up. Whats the Ghat drive like compared to amboli.
Regards

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 12th June 2012 at 12:39.
Old 12th June 2012, 21:39   #843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
bigwheelz (sounds nice, like country music and a truck song)
So is there any land mark to the turning at kagal, or if you have a photo or maybe just a description cos it seems to be a good alternative to the ones further up. Whats the Ghat drive like compared to amboli.
Regards
Thanks deutscheafrikar.
The exit coordinates are 16.58026, 74.31215. After you pass Kolhapur, you will pass Shirgaon MIDC, then Kagal MIDC, keep looking to your left, you will pass a petrol pump. Keep in left lane and watch out for the bridge ahead (100-150 mtrs). The exit is just before the bridge. You can exit at the petrol pump also and take the service road.
After taking the exit, Continue right and take U-turn under the bridge. Follow the road till you come exactly opposite the same petrol pump, the left turn is road towards Radhanagari (This is shown as "KAGAL RASHIWADE Rd" in Google maps.)

The ghat drive is very similar to Amboli. Roads are wide enough and smooth.
bigwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2012, 15:47   #844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheelz View Post
The ghat drive is very similar to Amboli. Roads are wide enough and smooth.
Was it raining in Goa or on the way back. I didn't travel cos the weather seemed like it would rain around the 8th in mumbai. But looks like the monsoon has played truant this time. I wonder how long the road will hold between kagal & Phondaghat. Wated very much to try it out
Cheers
Old 13th June 2012, 21:17   #845
BHPian

Quote:
Was it raining in Goa or on the way back. I didn't travel cos the weather seemed like it would rain around the 8th in mumbai. But looks like the monsoon has played truant this time. I wonder how long the road will hold between kagal & Phondaghat. Wated very much to try it out
Cheers
No rains like Goa. Just passing showers when I stayed there. Didn't get a single drop on my way back on Sunday.
Old 20th July 2012, 22:18   #846
BHPian

Hi, does anyone know the latest status of the Amboli ghat? Is it safe to drive through there? Planning a trip down from Mumbai to Goa in August. Do let me know. Thanks!
Old 20th July 2012, 22:22   #847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluez
Hi, does anyone know the latest status of the Amboli ghat? Is it safe to drive through there? Planning a trip down from Mumbai to Goa in August. Do let me know. Thanks!
No problems with Amboli ghats.safe so far.
Old 21st July 2012, 11:52   #848
BHPian

Roads are open, Please read the below link

Tarun Bharat Belgaum, BELGAUM :readwhere

On Sunday & Holidays, it may take a lot of time to pass through this ghat as there is a lot of vehicles to visit the falls.
Cheers.
Old 30th July 2012, 18:20   #849
BHPian

Any recent updates on the landslides at Amboli ghat? Planning on travelling on Aug 1st from Pune.
Old 30th July 2012, 22:33   #850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg
Any recent updates on the landslides at Amboli ghat? Planning on travelling on Aug 1st from Pune.
Heard its closed after 6:00 PM. If you are crossing in the daytime, no issues.
Old 1st August 2012, 15:25   #851
Senior - BHPian

Any other alternate routes to the amboli gaht, that can be used just in case? Has anyone travelled lately. Thinking of driving down next weekend
Cheers
Old 2nd August 2012, 11:02   #852
BHPian

Quote:
Any other alternate routes to the amboli gaht, that can be used just in case? Has anyone travelled lately. Thinking of driving down next weekend
Cheers
Option 1 - Go via Phonda ghat. the ghat is relatively safe for driving with good wide roads. the only con being you need to travel on NH17 a little longer if you are planning to go to Goa..

Option 2 - If visiting Goa, Kolhapur - Belgaum - Chorla ghat - Sanquelim. One of my relative could reach Sanquelim in 3.5 hours via this road last month (Of course he started at around 5:00 AM). He mentioned the road is bad at certain sections in the ghat but otherwise manageable, depends on which car you are using.

Karul ghat is again not a good option as land slides are pretty common there.
Old 2nd August 2012, 11:12   #853
BHPian

Lots of typical routes have already been suggested like the Sankeshwar-Nippani-Amboli and the Belguam routes etc. I have been on most of the routes. The worst ever is the Belguam - Goa route. The road till the Goa border is pathetic! At the Goa border there is like a perfect line at which the good road starts! The road there on is good, but reaching there is a nightmare, even is an SUV or such.

I would suggest go through Kolhapur town and use the "GAGANBAWDA GHAT", join NH17 and cruise down to Goa. Have done this route on my Thunderbird. It is excellent! A really awesome drive. But in rains the roads are slightly bad in patches, but any route you take will be like that. This is the best route to take from Kolhapur. Very scenic, not very crowded and joins NH17 at a point where traffic isn't too bad, so is very pleasurable!

Cheers.

Last edited by thumpingheart : 2nd August 2012 at 11:21.
Old 2nd August 2012, 11:27   #854
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluez View Post
The Amboli ghat is perfectly fine - with respect to road quality, it is easily doable in a hatchback/sedan. Just did this route a fwe weeks back, have put it up on my TL. Go through my post if you need any additional details on the route. You can opt for this route via Nipani, Sankeshwar and Belgaum (from NH4).

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2847772
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 17:58   #855
BHPian

Help needed on Kolhapur-Goa Route.

I am planning for Mumbai-Goa drive in this month end. I need to go to southern part of Goa, pls advice which route will be better.

Currently I am planning NH4 upto Belgaum

Mumbai-Pune-Kohlapur-Kagal-Nippani-Belgaum-Desur-Kanhapur-Ramnagar-Mulem-Ponda-Nagvaddo(Goa)

By using this route I can avoid the Nh17 traffic at Sawantwadi & Panjim , and this route also bypass Kolhapur completely. Kindly advice.

There is one direct road from Kanhapur to Mulem (State Highway 30 ), anyone travelled on this route pls advise on road condition.

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-kolhapur_goa.jpg

Thanks & regards,
Alok Mishra

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks