Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2011, 05:38   #691
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Will be off to Goa tonight (22nd December night). Have done all the arrangements and preparation.

All timings, breaks and route to be the usual.
Should leave home (Mumbai) by 11:30pm - 12:00am.
Aiming to reach Hotel Satyawati (Nipani) for breakfast at least at 6:00am.
Aiming to reach home (Margao) at least before 12:00pm after some shopping and gas refill at Mapusa.

To take the Uttur-Ajra-Amboli-Dhanoli-Banda-Goa route while going and Goa-Banda-Amboli-Ajra-Gadhinglaj-Sankeshwar route while coming.

Planned to leave home in Goa on 1st Jan (Have to reach for the school reopening on 2nd) at 10:30am and reach Mapusa for shopping and Gas refill.
Will aim to reach Sankeshwar between 5:00pm to 6:00pm for Kolhapuri footwear shopping.
And then touch home before 12:00am.

I will check this page for the last time this year minutes before leaving home tonight.
Will update route details after coming.

Till then have a fun-filled Christmas season and a wonderful New year 2012.
Old 22nd December 2011, 08:20   #692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sav
Will be off to Goa tonight (22nd December night). Have done all the arrangements and preparation.

All timings, breaks and route to be the usual.
Should leave home (Mumbai) by 11:30pm - 12:00am.
Aiming to reach Hotel Satyawati (Nipani) for breakfast at least at 6:00am.
Aiming to reach home (Margao) at least before 12:00pm after some shopping and gas refill at Mapusa.

To take the Uttur-Ajra-Amboli-Dhanoli-Banda-Goa route while going and Goa-Banda-Amboli-Ajra-Gadhinglaj-Sankeshwar route while coming.

Planned to leave home in Goa on 1st Jan (Have to reach for the school reopening on 2nd) at 10:30am and reach Mapusa for shopping and Gas refill.
Will aim to reach Sankeshwar between 5:00pm to 6:00pm for Kolhapuri footwear shopping.
And then touch home before 12:00am.

I will check this page for the last time this year minutes before leaving home tonight.
Will update route details after coming.

Till then have a fun-filled Christmas season and a wonderful New year 2012.
Don't take the uttur road, it's in bad condition, go till sankeshwar exit -> Gadhinglaj -> ajra. Not much difference in terms of distance but you won't regret as the road condition is better.
Old 22nd December 2011, 08:45   #693
BHPian

I second Figopian - I did Nippani-Uttur-Ajra in the first week of December and it was terrible. Have not tried Sankeshwar-Gadhinglaj-Ajra this year, but am sure it can't be worse than Nippani-Uttur.
Old 22nd December 2011, 10:20   #694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian

Don't take the uttur road, it's in bad condition, go till sankeshwar exit -> Gadhinglaj -> ajra. Not much difference in terms of distance but you won't regret as the road condition is better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suniladhiya
I second Figopian - I did Nippani-Uttur-Ajra in the first week of December and it was terrible. Have not tried Sankeshwar-Gadhinglaj-Ajra this year, but am sure it can't be worse than Nippani-Uttur.
Traveling to Goa tomorrow via Kolhapur. From the posts above, I believe that Kolhapur-Sankeshwar-Gandhinglaj-Ajra-Amboli is a better route. Is that so?

We shall be doing Mum-Kolhapur on 23rd and starting from Kolhapur on 24th morning. The idea is to join the Amboli -Sawantwadi route from Kolhapur and avoid the Belgaum route. So does Sankeshwar-Gandhinglaj-Ajra route sound the best? Inputs will be appreciated.
Old 22nd December 2011, 13:23   #695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Traveling to Goa tomorrow via Kolhapur. From the posts above, I believe that Kolhapur-Sankeshwar-Gandhinglaj-Ajra-Amboli is a better route. Is that so?

We shall be doing Mum-Kolhapur on 23rd and starting from Kolhapur on 24th morning. The idea is to join the Amboli -Sawantwadi route from Kolhapur and avoid the Belgaum route. So does Sankeshwar-Gandhinglaj-Ajra route sound the best? Inputs will be appreciated.
Yes, its comparatively better road than all others, not that road condition is great, but best of all available options with minimum distance.

Btw, I will be starting from Kolhapur on 24th morning too, I will be heading Tarkarli via Phonda ghat and then to Goa on 26th. Will be travelling back on the same Amboli -> Gadhinglaj road on 29th.
Old 22nd December 2011, 13:30   #696
BHPian

Hi,

I will be travelling to Goa tomorrow (leaving Mumbai in the evening & night halt in Pune & head to Goa Saturday early morning). Just for everybody's benefit (my as well), I would just like to confirm if this is the preferred route that ppl are talking about? Please refer to the screenshot.

Thanks in advance.

Merry Xmas!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-pic1.jpg  

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-pic2.jpg  

Old 22nd December 2011, 14:12   #697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian

Yes, its comparatively better road than all others, not that road condition is great, but best of all available options with minimum distance.

Btw, I will be starting from Kolhapur on 24th morning too, I will be heading Tarkarli via Phonda ghat and then to Goa on 26th. Will be travelling back on the same Amboli -> Gadhinglaj road on 29th.
That sounds great. Is Tarkarli on the Kolhapur-Sawantwadi-Goa route or do you have take a detour anywhere? Let me know the route and distance from Kolhapur if you are aware. I don't have a hotel booking in Tarkarli but don't mind checking the place out if it's on the Kolhapur-Goa route. Have heard good things about the place.
Old 22nd December 2011, 14:25   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
That sounds great. Is Tarkarli on the Kolhapur-Sawantwadi-Goa route or do you have take a detour anywhere? Let me know the route and distance from Kolhapur if you are aware. I don't have a hotel booking in Tarkarli but don't mind checking the place out if it's on the Kolhapur-Goa route. Have heard good things about the place.
It's off the route for you, not much by distance but definitely would consume some time. In this week at least, you will not get any reservations on the fly I had booked a month back and that too was not my first choice!

@WheelWake
That is the correct route.
On this same thread there was adiscussion about Amboli-> Danoli -> Banda route which avoids going through Sawantwadi. You will not find it on any on-line maps but is a safe road to take and will save time, just search for that.

Last edited by Figopian : 22nd December 2011 at 14:27.
Figopian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 17:43   #699
BHPian

Re: Mumbai & Pune Team BHP Drive on 30th April 2006.

Hi

What is the Pune to Mumbai highway conditions like these days planning to take this on route on my way back from Goa

Old 22nd December 2011, 21:14   #700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by suniladhiya View Post
Thanks for the update mates! That nails it. Sankeshwar it is then. Will definitely update the route status when I'm back. Cheerios! and bye!
Old 22nd December 2011, 23:42   #701

Guys,

Went to goa last week with a couple of friends on 14th December, took my Punto 1.4 petrol with me, here are the details.

Set off from Hinjawadi(Pune) NH4 at about 4 am in the morning. The roads were empty barring some trucks which could be easily overtaken due to non existence of two wheelers. Had 4 toll booths(aggregate about Rs 150 )on route to kolhapur. Reached Kolhapur at about 7.30 am. Was driving at about average 100km/hr.

At kolhapur took Mahalaxmi's blessings , ate the famous Fadtare's misal and rejoined NH4 at 9.00am. The roads after Kolhapur were super awesome and there was only one toll costing Rs 25 only. Reached Nippani in about 40 mins where there is a junction for Uttur - Ajara highway.

I had read on this thread before leaving that the road is ridden with potholes, but i thought it wont be that bad. Let me tell you the first 15km were horrible. My punto suffered badly here. After about 15km the road was ok not so great but manageable until we reach the Amboli ghat.Took about 1.5 hours to reach Amboli Ghat. Avg Speed 30 km/hr.

Amboli ghat- 25 km of nothing but winding slopes in front of us. The roads were good, the view was awesome has to be among the best stretches of road in India. My punto's handling was coming to the fore. Took me 1 hour to cross the ghat, although was driving slowly enjoying the view and also had a quick pit stop for pakoras.

After Amboli we headed straight on to Sawantwadi, the roads we not so great and reached Swantwadi after one hour. Avg speed 40 km/hr.

After Sawantwadi headed for Panji on NH17.The road after the Sawantwadi check post(about 5km) has to have a special mention here, I have seen infections better than this road, worst road ever.

The roads in Goa were cool as ever and reached Candolim at bout 2.30 pm. So total driving time minus the stops was about 8 hours.

So was in goa for 4 days with the last 2 days spent in Palolem(South Goa).

We had planned to leave goa on 17th, but on 16th evening evening every one was feeling fresh i.e not drunk after a day of just chilling out. So just like that we left Palolem at 7 pm in the evening. After asking a couple of local cab drivers we decided the route via Fonda -Belgaum would be the optimal one.

We reached Fonda in about 1 hour , refilled the tank and set for the Fonda Belgaum state highway. I would like to mention here that there is a shorter route 25km after Palolem which by passes Fonda but we decided not to take it as it was dark and decided to stick to the conventional route.

What we encountered after Fonda was scary. Very bad roads, poor visibility due to the red dust from the mining trucks, a monster ghat(don't know the name) with lot of climbing, no soul to help if there any problem. Also there in a police check post in Karnataka checking every vehicle for booze. The didn't exactly open our bags but moved the bags around to check if had beer bottles.

The roads 25 km prior to Belgaum were good and we reached Belgaum at about 12.00 am. At this point we tired, hungry(no good food joint on this road) and were debating weather to stop for the night or not. We decided to power on.

We reached NH4 at about 12.30 am and started looking for dhabas. We went on and on and only a couple were open but they looked very dodgy. At about 1.30 pm we reached Kolhapur and until now we had given up hope to find any food. But there it was a glorious 'M', like an golden angel staRting to spread its wings. A 24 hr McDonalds!!, it was one of the most memorable meals in my life. After tucking in a lot of burgers and coffee, we started again at 2.00 am.

Now any other normal driver by would have been very tired and sleepy by now. But the prospect of an empty highway and the red beast along with me made me exited. My Punto was in afterburner mode now and we reached Pune before 5 am and me in my bed at 5.30 am. Total driving time 9 and half hours. All in all the decision to leave in the night was risky but we saved a day and had some memorable moments.

Also some of you wondering what average Punto gave me, i don't know. I am like that Mom who keeps on feeding her fat kid because it looks so cute.
Red_Revver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 08:34   #702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Revver View Post
Guys,

Also some of you wondering what average Punto gave me, i don't know. I am like that Mom who keeps on feeding her fat kid because it looks so cute.
Good start to T-bhp posts mate! Keep revving
Old 23rd December 2011, 10:36   #703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Revver View Post
But there it was a glorious 'M', like an golden angel staRting to spread its wings. A 24 hr McDonalds!!, it was one of the most memorable meals in my life. After tucking in a lot of burgers and coffee, we started again at 2.00 am.
Glad that you shared your experience. Now I know where to find food at night.
Thank you for sharing these details.
Old 25th December 2011, 22:34   #704
BHPian

Just returned from my tour from Pune - Kolhapur - / Phonda Ghat - Radhanagari - Malvan - Sawantwadi - Ajara / Amboli Ghat - Kolhapur - Pune. Thought, I will share route my experiences.

Route via Radhanagari/Phonda Ghat is quite good (6/10). While coming back, I was in dilemma over which route (Ajara-uttur or gadhinglaj-sankeshwar) to take. Stopped in Ajara and inquired with few oncoming drivers and finally decided to take Uttur route. Barring few kms of bad roads (max speed of 20 kmph), the road is largely trouble-free.
Old 3rd January 2012, 13:50   #705
BHPian

I came back from Goa and took the Banda - Danoli - Amboli road. The road is good to travel except a few places where it is really bad, but mostly ok. Advice to travel on this road in broad daylight, not that I know of any incidents but its a lonely road, may not get quick help. The best part about this was that there is no checkpost here I was worried as I had 4 bottles of whisky and didnt want to loose any of them
Figopian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks