Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2012, 10:59   #751
Senior - BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

So how some silence on this thread for the past two weeks? What's the latest and which is a good route to go on at the moment.
Cheers
Old 9th April 2012, 18:43   #752
BHPian

hi friends
planning to take the route to goa in last week of april 12, any fresh updates on the road condition and any special pointers will be great help.
thanks in advance
Old 12th April 2012, 14:23   #753
DKW
BHPian

Read yesterday in the local newspaper that the Chorla road is now done up for interstate buses to start their services. Had been on this road in JAN 2011 and the roads upto Wildernest resorts is immaculate but is extremely bad on the karnataka side.

Will be on the road to Goa on 15th morning and will be taking the usual Sankeshwar > Gadhilanj > Ajra > Amboli > Danoli > Banda link.
Old 13th April 2012, 01:16   #754
BHPian

I would really like for someone to explain how exactly one can take the Amboli - Dhanoli - Banda route. I can see the Amboli - Sawantwadi road clearly on the maps, but what I cannot locate is the correct turn off!

I do see a vague reference to Banda on one side of NH 17, a little below Sawantwadi, but no road leading to it from a different side. Plus I cannot find Dhanoli on any map. I think that I may be looking, either at the wrong place or indeed the wrong map.

So, could someone please explain how this Amboli - Dhanoli - Banda route is done? If a map can be shown with the route clearly marked, it would be awesome.

I am writing in from Chandigarh and am unfamiliar with the finer details of places in that area.

The reason I am asking is that I intend to drive down from Chandigarh to Goa in a couple of weeks, and this bit is the only unclear part of the route to me.

Please help. Thanks!
Old 13th April 2012, 13:08   #755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
I would really like for someone to explain how exactly one can take the Amboli - Dhanoli - Banda route.
@Tigger,
search Banda on mapmyindia web page and zoom to max on the map.
You will clearly see the road from banda to danoli.
This is shortcut to reach banda from amboli but road is narrow with too many ups and down.
The road is not suitable to drive after dark.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 13th April 2012 at 13:10.
Old 13th April 2012, 13:27   #756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would really like for someone to explain how exactly one can take the Amboli - Dhanoli - Banda route. I can see the Amboli - Sawantwadi road clearly on the maps, but what I cannot locate is the correct turn off!

I do see a vague reference to Banda on one side of NH 17, a little below Sawantwadi, but no road leading to it from a different side. Plus I cannot find Dhanoli on any map. I think that I may be looking, either at the wrong place or indeed the wrong map.

So, could someone please explain how this Amboli - Dhanoli - Banda route is done? If a map can be shown with the route clearly marked, it would be awesome.

I am writing in from Chandigarh and am unfamiliar with the finer details of places in that area.

The reason I am asking is that I intend to drive down from Chandigarh to Goa in a couple of weeks, and this bit is the only unclear part of the route to me.

Please help. Thanks!
IMO,there is no great savings in terms of time taking the Dhanoli-Banda route as opposed to the Sawantwadi-Banda route.Take the Sawantwadi route as it would ensure you dont lose your way.Ofcourse negotiating a 5kms bad stretch at the border is an issue but when driving a distance as large as Chandigarh to Goa,this can be considered as collateral damage

OT :Another scenic option you could take is the Kolhapur-Radhanagari-Phondaghat-Phonda-Kankavli-NH17-Sawantwadi-Banda-Goa.This takes you through India's only Bison Sanctuary-the Dajipur Bison Sanctuary

Kolhapur, Maharashtra to NH 17, Sawantwadi, Maharashtra - Google Maps
Old 13th April 2012, 15:22   #757
Senior - BHPian

This pic depicts the route. But as Ashish and Ranjit mention it's better to go via sawantwadi. So Please use this map to avoid the shorter route
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-danoli-banda-turn.jpg
Regards

Quote:

I do see a vague reference to Banda on one side of NH 17, a little below Sawantwadi, but no road leading to it from a different side. Plus I cannot find Dhanoli on any map.
If a map can be shown with the route clearly marked, it would be awesome.

Please help. Thanks!
deutscheafrikar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 19:33   #758
BHPian

1. Thank you Ashish, I found Banda on mapmyindia.com, zoomed in and found saw the road.
2. Thanks Ranjit for the alternative Kohlapur - Sawantwadi Route.
3. And finally, thanks a ton for the Map Deutscheafrikar
Each one of you seems to be against the idea of doing the Amboli-Dhanoli-Banda route!

I dont really want to do the route because its shorter or some like reason. I feel inclined to do the route because it brings me closest to the border and helps me avoid the 5 Km bad stretch at the border.

If the route is too bad the I will quietly do the Sawantwadi route, but if the route is doable and not really bad then I would like to do it.

I will be driving my XUV W8 and will start early morning from Mumbai, so I should hit this road at about 4pm.
  1. My question is, does the quality of the road (Potholes etc) makes it avoidable
  2. Or, is the road really too narrow to Drive through?
  3. Also, I am driving down with my wife, so I hope that there are no Dangers on the route?
I have to eventually get to Siolim which is about 7 Kms to the left of Mapusa (As you look at the map).

I absolutely welcome all advice!
Old 13th April 2012, 21:35   #759
BHPian

@tigger: I did the Danoli-Banda stretch on 2nd December, 2011, and am copying below a part of my post #593 on this thread for your reference:

"Also experimented with the Danoli-Banda route as recommended on this thread. First 6 kms excellent, next 3 very bad, next 3 very average, last 3 good. Road width is really not an issue - two vehicles can pass each other comfortably except maybe on a very small stretch of about 1/2 - 1 km

Banda-Patradevi is in complete shambles - dont know when they will complete the four laning."

Having said that, on overall consideration, I would go along with what Ashish, Ranjit and Nigel have said in the immediately preceding posts - its better to go via Sawantwadi.

Have a safe trip.

Last edited by suniladhiya : 13th April 2012 at 21:35. Reason: Typo
Old 14th April 2012, 08:44   #760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  • My question is, does the quality of the road (Potholes etc) makes it avoidable
  • Or, is the road really too narrow to Drive through?
  • Also, I am driving down with my wife, so I hope that there are no Dangers on the route?
To Tell you frankly I've never been on this road.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1329176

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1411127

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1418993

But I did feel guilty of posting the query a few years ago. I guess your XUV would be able to do both roads. Bu then again I'm not sure if this shortcut is wider now than it used to be. Other than that as Ranjit mentioned it's probably a lonely stretch.

Best
Old 14th April 2012, 09:58   #761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
But as Ashish and Ranjit mention it's better to go via sawantwadi.
Quote:
Each one of you seems to be against the idea of doing the Amboli-Dhanoli-Banda route!
Quote:
Originally Posted by suniladhiya View Post
Having said that, on overall consideration, I would go along with what Ashish, Ranjit and Nigel have said in the immediately preceding posts - its better to go via Sawantwadi.
Hey guys,
i never posted against danoli-banda route.:
I just recommend that danoli-banda route should be avoided after dark/sunset.
For those who want to reach faster to Goa and avoid bad stretch at border, one should use danoli-banda road in daylight.
Someone already posted in this thread that danoli-banda road is resurfaced.
I will be again on this road next month and will post pics of this route.
If one has any doubt to use this road while at this stretch, simply follow the goa registered cars to gain confidence and reach banda and goa fast to get more time.

@ Ranjit,
have you used this route?

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 14th April 2012 at 10:00.
Old 14th April 2012, 12:45   #762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamishra View Post
I am planning a Pune-Goa trip next weekend. Can anyone please let me which road is currently better:
Nippani - Sankeshwar - Gadhinglaj - Ajara OR
Nipani - Uttur - Ajara

Please advise!
I would definitely suggest Nippan-Uttur-Ajara. Have done it a few times and its always been ok. Few rough patches, but nothing one can't manage in a sedan. And it did it in a Fiesta, which has very low Ground Clearance
Old 15th April 2012, 11:23   #763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrab View Post
I would definitely suggest Nippan-Uttur-Ajara. Have done it a few times and its always been ok. Few rough patches, but nothing one can't manage in a sedan. And it did it in a Fiesta, which has very low Ground Clearance
I always used and recommend sankeshwar-gadhinglaj-ajra route but in the next month, i will travel on nipani-uttur-ajara to know how bad is bad.
Old 15th April 2012, 14:20   #764
BHPian

I was on the NH-17 a couple of weeks ago (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...te-hotels.html) and as I mentioned in that thread, I saw some vehicles entering the yet-to-be-opened Sawantwadi bypass. I didn't take the risk; I believe it's better to face the devil you know than the one you don't

From the point where the new bypass deviates, NH-17 is rather unmaintained. No axle-breakers, but a bumpy ride. The patch around the Goa border isn't that bad, but where 4-laning is in progress traffic moves in both directions by both sides of the highway. Those who know the road obviously get on the 'better' side. I offer my opinion that this too is a section any driver unfamiliar with the road should try to cover in daylight.

Good luck with your trip, and drive safe!

db
Old 17th April 2012, 22:18   #765
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Just back in Bombay.

Used the Goa - Banda - Dhanoli - Amboli - Ajra - Ghadinglaj - Sankeshwar - Kolhapur - Poona - Airoli - Powai - JVLR road.

Left Mapuca, Goa at 0545 and so decided to take the Dhanoli short cut as it was just getting light.
The road is generally in pretty much the same condition as it was the last time I used it about 2 months ago. However, the bad section is now worse!!! There is one small section with huge potholes, water and soft mud. Also, there are piles of stones lying haphazardly there - ready for resurfacing sometime in the future I guess - and it was not easy getting past this stretch. Got all the wheels covered in mud and slush. I would not recommend this route for anyone driving a normal car till the road is resurfaced - OK for SUV's though.

One interesting point. While waiting to turn off at Banda on to the Dhanoli road a black Lancer with Goa plates and a FFE went by straight on to Sawantwadi. I noted his number and just as I was exiting the Dhanoli road to proceed to Amboli, the same Lancer crossed just ahead of me. This means that we both took the same amount of time to do the two different routes - me via Dhanoli and him via Sawantwadi. It took me 35 minutes to do the Banda - Dhanoli stretch.

The Ajra - Ghadinglaj road is till pretty much the same. Some rough patches between Amboli and Ajra and generally a "lumpy" ride throughout till you reach the highway. However, one can maintain speeds of 60 Kmph and more at times in a large car.

From Goa, I was able to reach Macdonald's at Kolhapur in 3 hrs and 15 mins (at 0900 hrs.) which includes a 30 min stop for breakfast at Nipani and I passed the Hinjewadi junction, Poona at 1200 hrs.

Stopped for an hour to tank up and have lunch at the Sentosa Resort just before the expressway. Good food. Good service. Good VFM. Resumed at 1300 hrs and was home (came off the JVLR at Goregaon) at 1515 hrs.

Total driving time : 8 hrs. 00 mins.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks