Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2014, 15:00   #1501
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by us.dash View Post
Mumbai Goa Drive on October 2, 2014

Route Planned: Mumbai EW Pune Satara Kolhapur Belgaum Khanapur Chorla Ponda Mapusa. Not done the Chorla route so far but, having read the reviews, am very keen.
You are getting mixed up between two different routes.

See the bold italicised cities mentioned by you above.

Khanapur and Ponda DO NOT come on the way if you go via Chorla from Belgaum to Mapusa.

Crossing Belgaum City : http://goo.gl/maps/N14Tb

After crossing Belgaum city, at Piranwadi Junction, keep on the right fork to Chorla and do not take the left fork to Khanapur.

Belgaum to Sanquelim via Chorla and also Crossing Sanquelim Town : http://goo.gl/maps/lpsJB

From Sanquelim to Mapusa : http://goo.gl/maps/U0rzm

The route via Khanapur is the one called Mollem - Ponda route and is not in a good condition plus is longer and more time consuming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Nothing specific to this thread
How did you miss this gaffe?

Last edited by hyd_traveller : 24th September 2014 at 15:02.
hyd_traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 16:24   #1502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by us.dash View Post
Mumbai Goa Drive on October 2, 2014

Planning to start at 3.30 AM from Mumbai, in a Dzire VDi, with the wife and son (~2 yrs), all of us drive

Route Planned: Mumbai EW Pune Satara Kolhapur Belgaum Khanapur Chorla Ponda Mapusa. Not done the Chorla route so far but, having read the reviews, am very keen.

Thanks
Starting at 3.30am with a 2 year old is ambitious!! By the way there would be heavy traffic at toll nakas on 1st evening as well. If you cross Vashi before 5.30-6.00am then there should not be much trouble. Via Belgaum-Chorla is the best route. Pune to Satara is slightly troublesome with the road work going on. Diversions at a few places...
Old 24th September 2014, 16:40   #1503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post

Khanapur and Ponda DO NOT come on the way if you go via Chorla from Belgaum to Mapusa.
OOPS! I think too much googling is affecting me already. Will follow the route as suggested by you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_d1106 View Post
Starting at 3.30am with a 2 year old is ambitious!!
3:30 AM start: We are hoping that he does not wake up OR the wife is able to put him back to sleep. Have done it in the past, hopefully will manage this time too.

A day early is not going to be possible :( This poor soul is a banker, who can under no circumstances afford another day off.

Hopefully the 5 day weekend induces some laziness in others and we are able to pass through.
Old 24th September 2014, 16:46   #1504
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
How did you miss this gaffe?
You mean the Khanapur part?

I was only looking at the long weekend part and thought he was quite aware of the Chorla section! Slipped!
Old 28th September 2014, 21:47   #1505
BHPian

Weekend Drive: Mumbai Kaas Mumbai

THE PLAN: With the Goa drive two weeks ahead, I was not sure if I would be comfortable driving for ~600 kms in a day. Further, wanted to know the exact situation of the Pune Satara route. Decided to kill two birds with one stone by driving down to Satara and back in a day.

The wife would have shot down the idea immediately, if I had presented it as such. So had to do some repackaging. I offered to take them, the wife and kid, on a day trip to Kaas Pathar.

THE JOURNEY: Started at 5:15 in the morning, reached Pune by 7:30ish, and stopped for breakfast, then fuel, then peeru purchase, then cold drinks purchase, then diaper change break, and so on and forth. Finally, reached Satara by 11:00 ish.

The road is bad in patches and I had to drive reasonably slowly, in the anticipation of a bad patch ahead. To me the worst aspects were the bad traffic management at the toll plazas and the sudden narrowing of roads in sections. I don’t think there is any need to mention trucks trying to overtake each other, while driving at identical speeds.

Road to Kaas from Satara is decent, as would be expected from district roads. There were hardly any cars coming from the other side.

THE DESTINATION: Ticket agents did not bother to check, when I informed that I had paid online. There was no camera fee. Paid only the parking fee of Rs. 40/-

When I drove further, I saw cars parked all along the road, even right next to the no parking sign. When I finally reached the parking lot, I realized it was pretty uphill and that it would be a longish walk. So joined the rest of my countrymen and parked along the fence.

Kaas was quite pleasant. It was an overcast day and it was possible to walk around for almost two hours. Please remember to carry a hat, I dint.

FOOD: Had a late lunch at Nivant Hill Resort. Have a feeling the standards have gone down over time, based on reviews posted by fellow travellers.

Return drive was more or less the same.

Thanks
us.dash

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-kaas_flowers-2.jpg

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-kaas_flowers-9.jpg

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-kaas_neo-6.jpg
Old 5th October 2014, 16:40   #1506
BHPian

Planning to reach colva beach on 10th Oct.
Reading through this thread, looks like the chorla route is fastest way to reach colva from pune.

The chosen route time says 8-8:30hrs, but I am going to consider it as 10hrs with breaks.

Was wondering about starting on 9th and halting at belgaum/kolhapur and then starting next early morning.

Any recommendations for halting at those places?
Old 5th October 2014, 17:43   #1507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post
Reading through this thread, looks like the chorla route is fastest way to reach colva from pune.

The chosen route time says 8-8:30hrs, but I am going to consider it as 10hrs with breaks.

Was wondering about starting on 9th and halting at belgaum/kolhapur and then starting next early morning.

Kolhapur: Raysons Regency, Skylark

Belgaum: Sankam Residency
Old 6th October 2014, 15:48   #1508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I did the opposite route, from Goa to Mumbai and had left Colva around 8am and was in Pune around 7pm. This was with a lunch break, bio break and a snacks break all amounting to around 1.5 hours. We were driving with our 3 year old kid. While returning from Mumbai, I was in Belgaum by 5pm after a 8am start, so you will be in Belgaum pretty early if you start early from Pune.

I think staying at Belgaum would be of not much use as if you plan properly, its another 3.5-4 hours drive to Colva and on some good to decent roads.

I took the chorla road.
Old 6th October 2014, 19:50   #1509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
I did the opposite route, from Goa to Mumbai and had left Colva around 8am and was in Pune around 7pm. This was with a lunch break, bio break and a snacks break all amounting to around 1.5 hours. We were driving with our 3 year old kid. While returning from Mumbai, I was in Belgaum by 5pm after a 8am start, so you will be in Belgaum pretty early if you start early from Pune.

I think staying at Belgaum would be of not much use as if you plan properly, its another 3.5-4 hours drive to Colva and on some good to decent roads.

I took the chorla road.
Could you please share the google coordinates of route from chorla to colva?

Google maps is showing the khanapur -londa route which is not recommended here.
#1501 route is for mapusa. not sure if the same can good for colva.
Old 7th October 2014, 00:50   #1510
BHPian

Hi Guys,

A friend of mine has just driven down from Bombay to Goa via the Chorla Ghat (on my recommendation). He reports that the Chorla ghat road is in excellent condition apart from two stretches of about 20 metres each. He lost a bit of time passing through Belgaum in the middle of the day but that is to be expected.
The diversions from Pune to Satara and a little beyond are still there and in worse shape than a month ago. No sign of any work going on. Large potholes which have to be taken slowly. However, he was driving a City and never scraped the bottom so that's a good sign.
Apart from that nothing different. From 20Kms after Satara the roads are still in very good condition.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 11:47   #1511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could you please share the google coordinates of route from chorla to colva?

Google maps is showing the khanapur -londa route which is not recommended here.
#1501 route is for mapusa. not sure if the same can good for colva.
This is the exact route I took

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Ac...8392!3e0?hl=en

At around Chorla, the maps prompt you to go inside Chorla, but ignore that and continue straight and the maps should reroute accordingly.

This route is from Goa to Mumbai, you just have to reverse the direction.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 12:18   #1512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
This is the exact route I took

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Ac...8392!3e0?hl=en

At around Chorla, the maps prompt you to go inside Chorla, but ignore that and continue straight and the maps should reroute accordingly.

This route is from Goa to Mumbai, you just have to reverse the direction.
Thanks. this is exactly what i was looking for as I am also going to acasia resorts.
Old 9th October 2014, 12:02   #1513
BHPian

to avoid the bad road between pune-satara, I can take the saswad-lonand-satara route as I stay in magarpatta.

maps showing me same time for both routes.
Old 10th October 2014, 21:14   #1514
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Just drove back to Bombay from Goa.
Used the Chorla ghat road.
The Chorla road is in excellent condition except for a couple of small patches which were mentioned in my earlier post. Nothing to talk about really. The two sections of paver blocks (about 50m each) are still there. Small potholes at the start and end of these sections - something Bombay drivers will be well used to. Some very bad potholes (10 metre section) at the Goa border (on the Maharashtra side) just before the toll booth. Be very careful here.
The rest of the road is pretty much the same. Nothing much to add. The road from Belgaum to Satara is very good. Can maintain high speeds. The diversions (11 if I remember right) are still there between Satara and Poona. The worst are Nos. 3,4 & 5 - coming from Goa to Bombay.
The Pune bypass road is slightly improved but the diversions are much worse than before. Huge potholes. Have to take it really slow.
Good to see that the approach road into Bombay is finally complete - well, almost!
However, I can't understand what the new toll booth (not yet functional) soon after the expressway is for. Another potential bottleneck. What's the point of building flyovers to streamline the traffic flow and then putting a toll booth in the middle of them? Serious checking was also going on at this toll booth so the usual tail back of traffic.. Needless to say I picked the wrong lane - again!!

Regards,
SS
Old 14th October 2014, 11:22   #1515
BHPian

Did the Pune-Colva-Pune.

The route followed was hadapsar-lonand-satara-belgaum-chorla-phonda-colva and colva-sawantwadi-amboli-gadhinglaz-kolhapur-satara-pune.

The lonand-satara route has some bad patches. we started at 5:15ama nd reached satara by 8:15am.
Reached colva around 3:30pm.

The chorla route is amazing and in real good shape. there are couple of points where you can halt to enjoy the scenenary.

Had made a silly mistake of not re-fuelling at belgaum but luckily the fuel lasted till we got down chorla. There are no fueling stations untill you reach the next town.
The tank was immediately filled with sweet price of ~58Rs

While returning, we had a long pending to-do action to have lunch at bhalekars-mahalaxmi mess/restaurant. We didnt had time to scout for, but luckily we stopped just nearby their place for lunch. Its just on the road when you enter sawantwadi very close to bus stand.
Highly recommended for non-veg lovers. My only veg friend was unhappy about the veg food that was served to him.

The road conditions were really bad though - specially sawantwadi amboli gadhinglaz. Should be totally avoided.

The satara-pune diversions really get bad - unavoidable potholes, as you move close to pune.

Had started at 11:15am and reached hadapsar by 10:30pm.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks