Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2014, 12:57   #1531
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

I’m planning to travel to Malvan from Pune in next couple of days.
Four years ago, had taken following route.
Pune – Kolhapur – Gaganbawda – Kankavli – Malvan

Read following report yesterday in a well-known Marathi newspaper.
Has anyone travelled through Gaganbawda recently? Need to check the validity of this report. The report says that road condition is in really bad shape and vehicles and travellers both are getting affected.

If the road is so bad then I’m thinking of taking following road.
Pune – Kolhapur – Gadhinglaj – Ajra – Sawantwadi – Malvan

This route will add around 40 to 50 Kms extra. Is it worth? How is the road condition between Gadhinglaj to Sawantwadi.

Please suggest. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Vehicle: Swift with 4 adults and 1 kid

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-20141222_092309.jpg
Old 23rd December 2014, 11:01   #1532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp417 View Post
I’m planning to travel to Malvan from Pune in next couple of days.
Four years ago, had taken following route.
Pune – Kolhapur – Gaganbawda – Kankavli – Malvan

Read following report yesterday in a well-known Marathi newspaper.
Has anyone travelled through Gaganbawda recently? Need to check the validity of this report. The report says that road condition is in really bad shape and vehicles and travellers both are getting affected.

If the road is so bad then I’m thinking of taking following road.
Pune – Kolhapur – Gadhinglaj – Ajra – Sawantwadi – Malvan

This route will add around 40 to 50 Kms extra. Is it worth? How is the road condition between Gadhinglaj to Sawantwadi.

Attachment 1320874
Road from Kolhapur to Gagan Bawda was in bad condition even before monsoon. During monsoon condition must have been worsened.

Konkan roads are generally in good condition.
Old 23rd December 2014, 20:46   #1533
BHPian

Hello,

I will be making a Mumbai-Pune trip on Thursday and will be returning back to Mumbai the next day. I will be travelling with two friends of mine and will be driving my Sx4. My query is not related to the route but more on the lines of precautions to be taken for long drives. I do not drive a lot and do so mainly within the city, although I have done Mumbai-Lonavala route a few times. Not sure why but I become a bit tensed when I think about what would happen if my car were to break down on the Mumbai-Pune expressway.

I know it is a bit irrational for me to think so but probably I have never been in such a situation (where I am stranded on a highway), hence the stupid thoughts. I just wanted to know from experienced people here about the things one should do in case such a thing happens on the highway. Are there any contact numbers which I should keep in handy? Any other tips/suggestions on how to deal with the hypothetical situation would be greatly appreciated.
Old 23rd December 2014, 22:17   #1534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
I just wanted to know from experienced people here about the things one should do in case such a thing happens on the highway. Are there any contact numbers which I should keep in handy? Any other tips/suggestions on how to deal with the hypothetical situation would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Saanil, you can go through following post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ong-drive.html
Old 24th December 2014, 06:39   #1535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hello,

I will be making a Mumbai-Pune trip on Thursday and will be returning back to Mumbai the next day. I will be travelling with two friends of mine and will be driving my Sx4. My query is not related to the route but more on the lines of precautions to be taken for long drives. I do not drive a lot and do so mainly within the city, although I have done Mumbai-Lonavala route a few times. Not sure why but I become a bit tensed when I think about what would happen if my car were to break down on the Mumbai-Pune expressway.

I know it is a bit irrational for me to think so but probably I have never been in such a situation (where I am stranded on a highway), hence the stupid thoughts. I just wanted to know from experienced people here about the things one should do in case such a thing happens on the highway. Are there any contact numbers which I should keep in handy? Any other tips/suggestions on how to deal with the hypothetical situation would be greatly appreciated.
MPEW is the last place you would get stranded if your vehicle breaks down.just call the highway assistance number which is prominently displayed on boards every 1km or so on the MPEW and they would send a recovery person
Old 24th December 2014, 07:23   #1536
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The other option can be Kolhapur-Radhanagari-Kankavli-Malvan. But I dont know the road conditions as of today.
Old 24th December 2014, 16:26   #1537
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1320874
Going to Malvan from Kolhapur, the radhanagari road is best suited. Gaganbawda road is mostly in bad condition though probably its the shortest route. The Amboli road is okay (Except the ghat sectio), but a little longer (I think). If you are driving from Pune and want to go to Radhanagari road, you also need not cross Kolhapur city, you can take the ring road and easily get onto the radhanagari road. Please see this thread for more detailed map that I had once posted.
Old 25th December 2014, 10:02   #1538
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Any BHPians driving from Bombay to Goa on the 28th. or 29th.December? My son is planning to drive down with some friends as they are unable to get flight or train bookings but I am not entirely happy with the idea as he has not done a lot of highway driving. I would much rather he has some company on the road. Do let me know.

Thanks & Regards,
SS
Old 25th December 2014, 10:31   #1539

Travelled on both routes between kolhapur to kankavli last week. kolhapur - radhanagri- kankavli is best option, route via gaganbavda is in bad condition with high possibility of thick fog on late hours.
Old 27th December 2014, 14:16   #1540
BHPian

Hi Folks

I am making a trip from Mumbai to Goa on the 29th December

So the plan is this: 29-12-2014, 8pm leave from Mumbai to Pune. Stayover at my place in Pune and then early morning off from Pune (Around 5-6am) so that I am in goa by 1pm. Need to get to north goa

Had a couple of queries on the route to take:
1. Pune-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Chorla
2. Pune-Kolhapur-Amboli-Sawantwadi

Any inputs on current road conditions? According the posts I have read, the Chorla route is being preferred by most of the BHPians. Please let me know !

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Guys,

Any BHPians driving from Bombay to Goa on the 28th. or 29th.December? My son is planning to drive down with some friends as they are unable to get flight or train bookings but I am not entirely happy with the idea as he has not done a lot of highway driving. I would much rather he has some company on the road. Do let me know.

Thanks & Regards,
SS
Hi Suzuki, I am headed 29-30th !
Old 27th December 2014, 14:20   #1541
BHPian

Pune to Goa - Road Route Query

Hi Team,

I am planning to drive down to Goa on 31st December 2014. Any latest thread on this detailing info on the route from Pune to Goa and back?

I am frequent traveller between Pune and Kolhapur. Beyond Kolhapur, I do not have much personal knowledge on route and road condition till Goa.

Could anyone please enlighten me on speediest and safest route to take for Goa from Pune and back? This will be my first trip to Goa.

I am driving XUV 500 with my wife and twin sons of 7 years old.

Looking forward to hear from you guys.

Cheers!

Amyth
Old 27th December 2014, 19:59   #1542
ike
BHPian

Re: Pune to Goa - Road Route Query

I took this trip last week from Mumbai. We drove from mumbai via Pune - Satara - Kolhapur - Nippani - Tawande Ghats (Turn right from here to a single lane road) - ajra - Amboli - sawantwadi - Goa. The roads are good till tawande ghats (excellent dual carriageway) and once you make that right turn, the road does deteriorate. The final stretch of this route which includes a ghat section is in shambles and gave us a hard time. Also, there were a lot of tractors carrying sugarcane on this road & some had no reflectors or headlights. This road is best avoided during night I think. I did it at night and it was quite spooky with not a soul in sight for long stretches.
ike is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2014, 20:20   #1543
BHPian

Re: Pune to Goa - Road Route Query

amyth78, there is a mega thread on this topic
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...r-goa-103.html

You can refer to the same.
Mods, request you to merge this thread with the above mentioned thread.
Simhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2014, 23:32   #1544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girish.purswani View Post

1. Pune-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Chorla
2. Pune-Kolhapur-Amboli-Sawantwadi
Both are good.You can go on one and come back via the other
ranjitp1 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2014, 00:16   #1545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girish.purswani View Post

Hi Suzuki, I am headed 29-30th !
Hi Girish,
Thanks your reply.
Our plans have changed and I have decided to drive along with my son so it will be two cars travelling together.
We will leave at 04:30 on the 29th. and hope to be in Goa by 14:30 or a little later the same day.
Once we get there I will update you on the road condition.
Intention is to use Chorla Ghat.

Regards,
SS

Most Viewed