Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2009, 14:47   #31
BHPian

Nigel,

The drive went very well, did not feel as if it was a long drive at all, took me almost 12 to 13 hrs to reach the destination. I had already created the route and saved it in my favorites, and I just followed it, well there were a few niggles with the GPS, it was trying to guide me on to the major routes all the time, so in this case one has to follow the route one knows and eventually it keeps on updating and gives the new set of instructions all the time.

I will see if I can save the route as a kml file and upload it here. For the moment just busy enjoying the ambience at Haathi Mahal, will be back to Bombay on Sunday 17th May
Old 21st May 2009, 07:48   #32
Senior - BHPian

Hi Irwin, How was the drive on the return to mumbai? Did you go by the same route and are the roads any different.
Regards
Nigel
Old 24th May 2009, 00:01   #33
BHPian

Just followed the same route on the way back, since now it is the tested and validated route to GOA, the road upto AMBOLI (from the AJRA/GADHINGLAJ side) is a bit bad, but nothing to be worried about. Like you said one can easily drive at an average speed of 50 to 60 Kmph.
Wanted to come back by NH17, but since we left a little bit late in the morning, hence was concerned that I may have to drive on the NH17 (single carriageway) in the night as I was getting closer to Bombay. Anyway reached around 11 PM in the night back in Bombay via the NH4
Old 1st June 2009, 23:58   #34
Senior - BHPian

Ok I left this morning at 7 and reached home at 7 pm. I noticed something from amboli to sawantwadi after the amboli ghat ends there is a town called Danoli, and just after this is a left turn towards Banda and Panjim as the sign board says 15.6 km and 62 kms to each respective place. I think taking this turn would mean avoiding sawantwadi. Has anyone tried this?
Nigel
Old 2nd June 2009, 23:33   #35
BHPian

Hi,

Just back from Goa a couple of days ago.
Left Bombay - Andheri (Lokhandwala Complex) at 05:15 and was in Goa (Porvorim) having lunch at 13:45 same day. 8 hrs 30 mins. Driving a Swift Zxi at rather high speeds.
Had to slow down on the ghats as the wife gets car sick or else would have done it sooner. Went via Pune, Kolhapur, Sankeshwar, Ajra, Amboli, Sawantwadi, Goa. Road was great till Sankeshwar. OK from Sankeshwar to Sawantwadi (few rough patches).
On the return journey came via Talere, Gaganbavda and Kolhapur to avoid entering Karnataka. Big, big, big mistake.
Crap roads. More ghats than Amboli. Stuck in traffic in Kolhapur. Took 10 hours to reach home.
Stick to the Ajra, Amboli, Sawantwadi road.
Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2009, 12:21   #36
BHPian

I prefer the NH4 route to go to Goa (from Mumbai) instead of NH17 especially returning from Goa. The traffic from Pen (NH17) to Panvel in the evening is crazy and shd be avoided at all costs.
Old 26th July 2009, 14:09   #37

Mumbai to Goa - 2 routes on NH4, which one?

Guys,

We are planning to drive from Mumbai to Goa in the second week of August.
When I do Google map direction search, I get the following 2 results. One goes through Ajra-Amboli which I guess most of the people have travelled through and the other one is vie Belagavi - Khanapur. On the later route one could drive on NH4 highway till Belagavi and then I guess would enter a narrow highway. Please if some one has travelled from this route, tell me if its good/bad option.

People who have travelled in the month of june on the Ajra-Amboli route have mentioned that some patches are bad, I assume that due to rains the road conditions will be worse than past month.
Any Suggestions?

Thanks,
Attached Images

Old 26th July 2009, 21:10   #38
Senior - BHPian

The road via Belgaum, Khanapur, Londa, Molem and Ponda to Panaji/Madgaon is lovely but typically breaks up between Londa and Molem during the rains. Luckily, the iron ore exports have fallen significantly which means truck traffic will be reduced. No update on the road condition, but I would avoid this route during the rains.

You have to enter Belgaum city, and this is NH4A.
Old 26th July 2009, 21:23   #39
BHPian

Hvkumar, Have you ever done the belgaum - tilari - mapuca route ever. If so, when and your feedback please
Old 26th July 2009, 21:27   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHIR.KITTUR View Post
Hvkumar, Have you ever done the belgaum - tilari - mapuca route ever. If so, when and your feedback please
No, never, but am told that it is a lovely route - someone went, but it is a small road and susceptible to flooding during rains.
Old 26th July 2009, 21:32   #41
BHPian

Hvkumar, be my guest this oct. I will be back in India. I will show u such places that you will remember for ever. Beleive me I am aregular on this route. 3 yrs back did this route on a activa and 2 kids. to and fro. Please accept my invitation. TQ
Old 26th July 2009, 21:37   #42
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the invite, will love to do it with you. Only issue is I am going to be busy with my Ladakh trip between Sep 12-27, unsure whether I will have the stamina for one more trip after that for at least 1 month.
Old 26th July 2009, 21:45   #43
BHPian

Hvkumar, some other time perhaps.

All the other guys, dont ever think of this route this time of the year with heavy down pour. By the way pass thru belgaum. I bet you will love astay here.
Old 26th July 2009, 22:05   #44
Senior - BHPian

Sahir, unable to send you any PMs because I get this message when I try to:
"SAHIR.KITTUR has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her."

Please check your settings so that I can reply to your PM>
Old 26th July 2009, 22:21   #45
BHPian

Kumar, right now I am on a hand held device. Sorry I am trying but cant change it. I will do it first thing in the morning. Happy dreaming buddy. See u at Masimik La :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks