Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2009, 15:12   #121

Hi deutscheafrikar, sorry for the late reply.

The next time around, taking NH 17 is advisable for any Mumbai-Goa journey. It can easily be done in about 12 hours. The road is by far several time better than Nipani-Ajra-Amboli route. I don't know why most people go round about via Pune-Kolhapur. Is it just because of NH4? But NH 17 isn't bad at all, in fact as Ranjit correctly said, it's very scenic and roads are almost 90 % smooth in total contrast to Uttur or Satyapalace conditions.
Old 2nd November 2009, 15:21   #122

in fact Panvel-Mapusa can easily be done in 8 1/2 to 9 1/2 hrs.

but i hope you got to enjoy your drive anyway :-)
Old 2nd November 2009, 22:35   #123
Senior - BHPian

Agastya,
The reasons I go via pune kolhapur is since the 400 kms of smooth road prevent damage to my suspension and wear to the tyres. It also lets me drive in top gear for a longer period and only one ghat to climb each way,. More than anything else I don't have to overtake trucks by going onto the wrong side of the road and hence it is safer. Only place that slows me is the nipani to mapuca route. But I now know that the gadinglag route is quite okay. I have used the NH17 for many years, guess being older now I am wary about the overtaking part on the NH17
Old 3rd November 2009, 08:53   #124
BHPian

totally agree with you afrikar
even i have done mumbai goa many times by NH 17 but now prefer to go via kolhapur amboli road. infact on 24th october i traveled on this route, started at 6.30 am from thane (Innova) and reached madgaon old bus stand at 6.45 pm. (varca - mahindra club resort) that too by restricting my speed max to 40 km during ajra - swantwadi stretch and many leaisurly stops for breath of fresh air. two passengers in car were suceptible to motion sickness. (driving alone i would have reached probably much faster )
the best advantage of this route is only one ghat to traverse as compared to 6 ghats via NH17.
while returning on 28th october i returned via karwar - sadashivgad-kaiga -anshi - ramnagar-belgaum- kolhapur road. although it's one of teh most scenic roads one can travel, with wild animals crossing the road frequently, i don't recommend the road.
the road is almost non existent between anshi and ramnagar ( via joida). During first 5.5 hrs i could cover only 150 kms that tells you teh state of road. a patch of around 20 kms is so bad that you can hardly drive more than 5 to 10 kms speed. daring any more speed can result in some mechanical break down or puncture at least. and as teh road is totally deserted you may not get any help easily.
regards
Old 3rd November 2009, 09:00   #125
BHPian

hi afrikar
even i drove on mumbai - kolhapur - ajra- sawantwadi road on 23rd friday. i was at sai international at around 11.30 pm, was driving my friends innova red colour.
what car you were driving?
reagrds
Old 3rd November 2009, 13:16   #126
BHPian

Status of road between Nipani - Sawantwadi as of Nov 3 : of the 125 km, around 20km is quite bad, 60 km or so is bumpy, uneven with sudden ruts / potholes. The rest is smooth. The 20km bits need you to reduce speed to around 25/30 kmph, the 60km can be done easily around 60kmph if you are alert for surprises (potholes and ruts), anything more and the rear seat gets quite uncomfy.
Did Mumbai - Calangute in 10 hours, Indica DLG turbo.. 4.30am from Mumbai - at calangute by 2.30 ish.
hope this is of help.
Old 3rd November 2009, 15:42   #127
Senior - BHPian

ZipZapZoom I was in a white Indigo Marina. But I was there at 1:30 pm or thereabouts. Did you go via Uttur or Gadinglaj?

Clix22 which route did you take, Nipani uttur Ajra? Maybe you should have tried the Sankeshwar Gadinglaj Ajra. I did both and found Gadinglaj to be much better.
regards

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 3rd November 2009 at 15:44.
Old 12th November 2009, 10:12   #128
Senior - BHPian

ranjitp1
Long time ago in 1996 or 1997 I think, I went via pue to Goa with a friend of mine. He had some work in pune hence we stayed there for a night. In those days we'd always take route NH17 to Goa. That was the first time I went via NH4 and at that time it was a tar road like Nh17 with no divider. We drove in his Maruti 800. Somewhere before Nipani it was lunch time and my friend was hungry. So he pulled over on to the right side where there were two shady restaurants. I refused to eat. He did however. When we left we asked them where was the turn to go to Goa. I believe they said around Nipani. Now I remember two things while decending the Ghat that my buddy was zooming in 4th gear and using his brakes galore. The other thing is I smelt Cashew fruit while decending. Lots of smell. Now a days while travelling through the amboli ghat I have never smelt the Cashew fruit. So is there any other ghat we coudl have driven through to Goa then.
Regards

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 12th November 2009 at 10:14.
Old 18th November 2009, 12:47   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
ranjitp1
Long time ago in 1996 or 1997 I think, I went via pue to Goa with a friend of mine. He had some work in pune hence we stayed there for a night. In those days we'd always take route NH17 to Goa. That was the first time I went via NH4 and at that time it was a tar road like Nh17 with no divider. We drove in his Maruti 800. Somewhere before Nipani it was lunch time and my friend was hungry. So he pulled over on to the right side where there were two shady restaurants. I refused to eat. He did however. When we left we asked them where was the turn to go to Goa. I believe they said around Nipani. Now I remember two things while decending the Ghat that my buddy was zooming in 4th gear and using his brakes galore. The other thing is I smelt Cashew fruit while decending. Lots of smell. Now a days while travelling through the amboli ghat I have never smelt the Cashew fruit. So is there any other ghat we coudl have driven through to Goa then.
Regards
DF,after Nipani,Amboli is the only ghat to cross to reach Goa,unless you came via Chorla ghats(highly unlikely).Well Cashew trees are more commonly found in the north of goa compared to the south which has predominantly more of coconut trees.Sorry cant be of much help in here.For all you know maybe the trees were present during those times at Amboli or at Chorla,but thanx to all the deforestation by the mining guys who dump all the mine ores on the slopes and ghats,the trees must have disappeared now.Are you intending to take the Phonda route next?i saw your post on another thread,its a good drive,you would enjoy it.
Old 18th November 2009, 13:56   #130
Senior - BHPian

Ranjit I haven't the faintest idea where we were. All I know is that the turn wasn't too far from nipani. You are quite right maybe the trees have been cut down. I don't know if I went to chorla ghat or wheter we came out at any other place but sawantwadi.. like for instance dodamarg.

I am contemplating either gaganbawda or phondaghat depending on which road is in better condition.

I haven't driven on the NH17 since the new millenium. I remember a stretch that used to be straight as an arrow coming up at about 4ish in the evening after a morning start from Bombay. It had tall trees on either side of the road and a bit of sand too. After the winding ghats sections all day this used to wake me up and one coudl really drive fast on this section. Do you have any idea as to where exactly this is? Todays question for you
Regards
Old 18th November 2009, 14:29   #131
BHPian

Deutscheafrikar,
The smell of cashew fruit was maybe from a lcv going down the ghat. They collect the fruit from the chandgad and nearby areas & then take them to goa. I am pretty sure about this as i have experinced the strong smell when a similar cashew carrying truck is in front of you.
Old 18th November 2009, 17:32   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
I am contemplating either gaganbawda or phondaghat depending on which road is in better condition.

I haven't driven on the NH17 since the new millenium. I remember a stretch that used to be straight as an arrow coming up at about 4ish in the evening after a morning start from Bombay. It had tall trees on either side of the road and a bit of sand too. After the winding ghats sections all day this used to wake me up and one coudl really drive fast on this section. Do you have any idea as to where exactly this is? Todays question for you
Regards
The Gagabawda road was in bad condition a month ago.

The straight section - near Kharepatan on the Rajapur-Kanakavali section. I clock up the highest speeds in the Bombay-Goa NH17 route on this straight which is 3-5 kms long.
Old 18th November 2009, 20:50   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The Gagabawda road was in bad condition a month ago.The straight section - near Kharepatan on the Rajapur-Kanakavali se ction. I clock up the highest speeds in the Bombay-Goa NH17 route on this straight which is 3-5 kms long.
Brilliant. But I thought it was much longer than 3-5 kms. But's its a good stretch. Only way is to find out for myself.
Thanks
Old 20th November 2009, 14:21   #134

Hi all, am planning to go to goa on 2nd dec. Staying in Calangute (North Goa).

Routes from Pune - Kolhapur - Goa, are pretty usual as many go by this route.

Am planning to go by Pune – Mumbai Bangalore Highway – Shirwal – Mahabaleshwar – Bhor Ghat – Mangaon – NH 17 – Goa

Has Any body tried out this route?? Need to know the road conditions and the surroundings scenes, how they are??
Old 8th December 2009, 14:14   #135

Just travelled on this route this weekend.
Started on Friday, 05 Dec 09 at 11:00 PM from Navi Mumbai.
04:20 AM - Sankeswar turn off. (This is approximately 12 kms from the tawandi ghat (you can recognize this ghat easily, as it is an six lane road). You see a board stating Gadhliganj to the left, you have to take the left and cross to the right under the underpass.)
08:30 AM - Panaji city.
Total time of 9 hours with break upto 45 mins.

Returned on Sunday, 06 Dec 09 night. Started from Panaji city at 10:15 PM.
Panaji city - Goa checkpost (40 kms, very good road with small twists and turns).
Goa checkpost - Maharastra checkpost (7 kms, bad potholed road)
Maharasthra checkpost - Sawantwadi (10 kms, good road).

At sawantwadi, we took a right turn towards Amboli ghat.
Then after 10kms into the turn, there is a fork, where we need to take right.
We crossed the amboli ghat, and approximately 35 kms from the sawantwadi turnoff, we took the left turn to head to ajra. The other road leads to Belgaum.
Then 15 kms of road is good. After that the road continues to be riddled with potholes, ofcourse not bad to scrap your car's underbelly.

In ajra town you need to take left to head to gadhliganj. After gadhliganj you reach maharastra / karnataka border and then the NH4 junction.
Overall the strecth of 160 kms from Panaji to NH4 on sankeswar bypass took us 4 hours. The road was drivable at speeds of 60 - 80, except at potholed sections.

Started from sankeswar at 02:15, was in Navi Mumbai by 08:00 AM. Stopped for an half an hour enroute as i was feeling very sleepy. Also had to encounter heavy fog on the Mumbai - Pune expressway.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks