Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2009, 13:40   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Jus got back from Goa today morning.Started off at 9 o clock in the night and at 6 o clock reached mumbai.

The best road to take would be Mumbai - Mahad - Chiplun - Sawantwadi - Goa.

The roads has a lot of scenic views, lots of ghats and brilliant brilliant roads.

The night journey never felt like a night journey, But yes you have to be careful, the ghats and twisties start without a warning and will catch you unaware many a times.
You are right! that this particular stretch is scenic and better, I have taken that route in the past, however when we travel with the family they don't like the twisties particularly well (motion sickness etc...) With my plan I expect to drive until NIPANI/SANKESHWAR on the 4 lane dual carriageway absolutely stress free, and then the last leg from NIPANI/SANKESHWAR >> SAWANTWADI via AJRA/AMBOLI, I guess should not be that bad.
Old 15th April 2009, 09:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin View Post
With my plan I expect to drive until NIPANI/SANKESHWAR on the 4 lane dual carriageway absolutely stress free, and then the last leg from NIPANI/SANKESHWAR >> SAWANTWADI via AJRA/AMBOLI, I guess should not be that bad.
Irwin, I'm gonna drive down end of April. I will be truning right at the Kaveri/Satyapalace restaurants some 12 kms before Sankeshwar, that will take me to Ajra. I will let you know how the road is after I reach.
Nigel
Old 18th April 2009, 04:39   #18
BHPian

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Irwin, I'm gonna drive down end of April. I will be turning right at the Kaveri/Satyapalace restaurants some 12 kms before Sankeshwar, that will take me to Ajra. I will let you know how the road is after I reach.
Nigel
Nigel, Thanks a Lot !, I guess that road goes takes you to AJRA via Shippur, Rashing, Hanbarwadi, Bahirewadi, UTTUR, I remember reading on this forum that some sections on this stretch are narrow, and the trucks don't pull over on the shoulder of the road to give way to smaller vehicles!. So be careful! Well anyway I appreciate very much, and will look out for your post in this regard
Old 18th April 2009, 04:42   #19
BHPian

Thanks

Quote:
Irwin, I'm gonna drive down end of April. I will be truning right at the Kaveri/Satyapalace restaurants some 12 kms before Sankeshwar, that will take me to Ajra. I will let you know how the road is after I reach.
Nigel
Nigel, Thanks a Lot !, I guess that road goes takes you to AJRA via Shippur, Rashing, Hanbarwadi, Bahirewadi, UTTUR, I remember reading on this forum that some sections on this stretch are narrow, and the trucks don't pull over on the shoulder of the road to give way to smaller vehicles!. So be careful! Well anyway I appreciate very much, and will look out for your post in this regard
Old 19th April 2009, 13:03   #20
BHPian

Nigel, Just received this message from a colleague who went to GOA about two weeks ago.

" Regarding the route to GOA its better to go to Sankeshwar - Gadhinglaj onwards because the road (Right turn from Kaveri Hotel) to Shippur - Ajra onwards is really really bad, its a wee bit shorter but like i said BAD road. Basically once you get off the freeway, from the NH4 to Amboli ghats road is not too good repair work was in progress 2 weeks ago on the bad patches, but i have seen worse....i still managed to do 100+ in a Scorpio "

So Nigel, just bear in mind the above before you set off on that route.

Note from mods: Please use only the editor provided for creating the post and do not cut/copy/paste from an external editor. Please do read the TBHP rules
Old 20th April 2009, 09:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So Nigel, just bear in mind the above before you set off on that route.
Thanks Irwin, I will drive down to Sankeshwar and turn onto Gadinglaj. I know it's a bit dangerous having to pull over to the side on that road to Ajra from Kaveri hotel. Was just hoping that it would be in better condition that the other road.
I leave at six but end up driving upto about seven pm to candoli.
I fill up at Kolhapur on the highway, it's a huge BP pump. about 396 kms from bandra. The lunch is a problem, cause end up eating late at Satyapalace. Breakfast in after pune.
Regards
Nigel

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 20th April 2009 at 09:57.
Old 28th April 2009, 09:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

Guys, Anyone driving down to Goa from Mumbai or Pune on the 30th Apr or 1st of May Via Nipani-Sankeshwar?
Nigel
Old 29th April 2009, 12:26   #23
BHPian

Nigel, Im planning to drive to goa from mumbai on 30/4 afternoon. Leaving Mumbai at 12:00pm.

I have seen 2 options mentioned here on the forum - (1) from panvel via the goa highway, or (2) mumbai - pune - kolhapur - goa.

I would like to avoid driving in the night, however cant avoid it altogether this trip as i cant leave Mumbai before 12:00pm. I want to reach goa as early as possible.

Would appreciate suggestions on which route to take.

Cheers!
Old 29th April 2009, 14:03   #24
BHPian

I'm going to Goa this Friday. This is the first time I'm going by road.

My preference is good traveling experience. Sceneries, Dhabas, good atmosphere.

Which route do you guys suggest for this?
Old 29th April 2009, 21:31   #25
Senior - BHPian

SilverBaleno, The NH4 is a straight drive toSankeshwar via pune-kohlapur-nipani. From that right turn to Sawantwadi it's narrow. It would also be dark by the time you reach here because you will start at 12 pm. So part of your drive will be at night. Frankly I haven't enjoyed driving at night into Goa. Since the lights of the truck and busses bother me. So you have to decide whether you will halt for the night or drive through. But the NH4 is much safer compared to the NH17 via panvel and chiplun.
Nigel
Old 2nd May 2009, 11:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nigel, Thanks a Lot !, I So be careful! Well anyway I appreciate very much, and will look out for your post in this regard
Irwin, I drove via Sankeshwar-gadinglaj-ajra-amboli-sawantwadi-banda to Goa on the 1st of may.
Roads from Sankeshwar to Gadinglaj was pretty decent and wide, Gadinglaj to Ajra were narrower and rough here and there, Ajra to amboli had repairs being carried out. It was boring from sawantwadi to Mapusa cos mapusa signboard took ages to arrive for my right turn off the NH17.
Fell sick after eating at some Natraj about 180 kms from bandra...so avoid the food there. Need to get a list of decent restaurants on this route.
Nigel
Old 3rd May 2009, 23:18   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Gadinglaj to Ajra were narrower and rough here and there, Ajra to amboli had repairs being carried out. Fell sick after eating at some Natraj about 180 kms from bandra...so avoid the food there. Need to get a list of decent restaurants on this route.
Nigel
Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the feedback from your trip to GOA. Sorry to hear that you fell sick due to bad food, I guess you have recovered by now and enjoying your holidays in GOA. Off course I will avoid places like that, plan to pack some fruits, dry fruits and some snacks etc. I read on this forum that there is a place by the name OPEL/OPAL in Kolhapur which is apparently supposed to be very good. We plan to have our lunch there. I will document very well, my trip to GOA via this route.

Like you mentioned the roads being narrower between Gadhinglaj to Ajra, I hope there is no heavy traffic in that section, which can aggravate the driving experience, All in all, I suppose it wasn't too tiring/taxing for you to drive this particular "Sankeshwar >> Gadhinglaj >> Ajra >> Amboli >> Sawantwadi " section.

1) Roughly, How long did it take you to drive this section, and average driving speed?
2) Can you please tell me, One or two good place/places for refuelling enroute.
3) Do you plan to take the same route on your return or will you be taking some other route?
Old 5th May 2009, 23:04   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hi Irwin,
I think it took me about two and a half hours to cover the distance from Sankeshwar to Sawantwadi. Touching 60kmph with a rough average of 40kmph. Nope there isn't any heavy traffic on this section and it isn't a bit tiring. Cos just a few streches of bad road
I refuel at Kolaphur there is a big Shell pump, btu it didn;t have diesel this time, nor did the HP pump after it but there was a Indian oil dealer 4 kms from the first pump. So you ahve a choice of three at about 400 km from Mumbai.
Yep this is my thrid trip on this route, of course the first was through Uttur-ajra. I think I will stick to this compared to the old NH17.
Have fun
Nigel
Old 7th May 2009, 14:44   #29
BHPian

Guys,

Will be leaving/driving down to GOA on 9th May 2009 starting at 5.30 am from Borivili West and as mentioned in the previous posts on this thread will be following BOM >> PUNE >> "Sankeshwar >> Gadhinglaj >> Ajra >> Amboli >> Sawantwadi " >> South GOA.

Is someone from TEAM BHP forum going to GOA following this particular route ? please let me know.

Look out for a Blue coloured SWIFT ZXI in which I will be travelling on that day.

Will be trying out my MapMyIndia 430 Classic GPS on this route.
Old 11th May 2009, 22:56   #30
Senior - BHPian

Irwin,
How did it go? the drive and did the GPS show you the proper route?
Nigel

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks