Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2010, 13:28   #151
Senior - BHPian

sea cruiser thanks for the info. Glad to hear you had a nice drive and I hope your enjoyed you trip. Alas I still wait for someone to post the condition of the gaganbawda route or else I will have to drive via Sankeshwar and Sawantwadi too.

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 27th January 2010 at 13:30.
Old 29th January 2010, 18:04   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
sea cruiser thanks for the info. Glad to hear you had a nice drive and I hope your enjoyed you trip. Alas I still wait for someone to post the condition of the gaganbawda route or else I will have to drive via Sankeshwar and Sawantwadi too.
Earlier this month, I came form Malvan to Pune via Gaganbawda. Road from NH17 (Kankavli) to base of Gaganbawda is pretty good. Except for some bad patches in the ghat section, the overall condition of the ghat road is good too. Road from Bawda to Kolhapur is narrow and has bad stretches, but manageable. Some widening work is going on slowly.

We faced difficulties when we reached at about 20 kms from Kolhapur. The traffic increased considerably and even overtaking a slow moving truck became impossible. The road condition was bad. Manuevaring thru the traffic in Kolhapur from Rankala tank was a challenge. We were guided to a shorter road to NH4 from Kolhapur. That road condition is extremely bad. No tar and full of potholes. We were relieved only when we eventually joined NH4 at about 11 kms away from Kolhapur.

I must say however that the Bawda ghat is worth visiting at least once.
Old 1st February 2010, 09:45   #153
Senior - BHPian

Musaafir, Thanks for the info. I have a couple of queries. Did you take the right turn at Tarele or Karepatan. There are two turnings to go up two different ghats to Gaganbawda. You mention Kankavli. If one turns right at kankavli or Humarat then the road leads to Phondaghat.
Thanks once again
Regards

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 1st February 2010 at 09:50.
Old 1st February 2010, 14:09   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Musaafir, Thanks for the info. I have a couple of queries. Did you take the right turn at Tarele or Karepatan. There are two turnings to go up two different ghats to Gaganbawda. You mention Kankavli. If one turns right at kankavli or Humarat then the road leads to Phondaghat.
Thanks once again
Regards
You are right deutscheafrikar... my mistake... sorry.

I took a right turn at Talere and went on via Vaibhavwadi to Gaganbawda.

Thanks for pointing it out.
Old 1st February 2010, 14:16   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks once again
Regards

Old 1st February 2010, 14:26   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks once again
Regards

Old 2nd February 2010, 08:47   #157
Senior - BHPian

Hi Musaafir, Thanks a lot for the info. Maybe I can try out this route. What time did you aproach Kolhapur city from Gaganbawda. And any idea if this road from gaganbawda to kolhapur is much narrow compared to the Sankeshwar Ajra road. Or is it somewhat like the Kaveri hotel to Ajra road which I feel is too narrow?
Old 2nd February 2010, 18:37   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Musaafir, Thanks a lot for the info. Maybe I can try out this route. What time did you aproach Kolhapur city from Gaganbawda. And any idea if this road from gaganbawda to kolhapur is much narrow compared to the Sankeshwar Ajra road. Or is it somewhat like the Kaveri hotel to Ajra road which I feel is too narrow?
I was approaching Kolhapur around 2.00 PM on a Saturday.

Not sure about the two Ajra roads you have mentioned as I have never travelled on those routes. But this is a double lane road where two cars would pass thru easily. The issue is the quality of the road in some parts and the places where the work is in progress. However, you should try it atleast once.

Bon Voyage!
Old 2nd February 2010, 23:01   #159
Senior - BHPian

Musaafir thanks a lot. probably one way gaganbawda and the other phondaghat. what say?
regards
Old 8th February 2010, 18:11   #160
BHPian

Folks,
I am planning a drive from Pune to Goa on the 17th. So far I have gone thru many posts on this forum and have safely concluded that the route to take is Pune - Kolhapur - Sankeshwar - Gadhinglaj - Ajara - Amboli - Sawantwadi - Panaji.

Here are two questions from my end:

1. Is there a sign board for the exit for the Gadhinglaj road on the NH4? Is it easily visible OR do I need to watch out for some other sign and thereby interpret.

2. I notice (on google maps) that from Sawantwadi, there are two roads that join NH17. One is via Banda and the other via Sonurli & Nhaveli. Which one is recommended?
Old 8th February 2010, 21:31   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
1. Is there a sign board for the exit for the Gadhinglaj road on the NH4? Is it easily visible OR do I need to watch out for some other sign and thereby interpret.

2. I notice (on google maps) that from Sawantwadi, there are two roads that join NH17. One is via Banda and the other via Sonurli & Nhaveli. Which one is recommended?

Okay for the turn to gadinglaj, when the twandi ghat starts you will see two restaurants kaveri and satyaplace. You go a further 12 kms approx and you will reach Sankeshwar. Here you will see a sign board but to take the right turn you have to go to the left of the NH4 then you get off the NH keeping to the left and you come to a junction where you take a right, go under the NH4 and proceed to Gadinglaj. At the two restaurant there is a right turn too but the road to uttur and ajra from this turn is too narrow. So in that way right turn to gadinglaj at sankeshwar is better. Just go a bit slow when you approach sankeshwar. You wont miss the turn

As for the second question you need to go down the amboli ghat,then come Danoli village. Go further you will notice sand on this winding road. When you come to the NH17 intersection you take a left, you come to sawantwadi, insuli and then banda. Do not go towards sonurli or nhaveli. Both are on Sh123 and you need to be on NH17 to go to banda from sawantwadi.
Old 9th February 2010, 10:09   #162
BHPian

Thank you deutscheafrikar.
Will make a note of this.
Old 9th February 2010, 13:48   #163
BHPian

Do not go towards sonurli or nhaveli. Both are on Sh123 and you need to be on NH17 to go to banda from sawantwadi.[/quote]

If you are on a lesiure trip and you have time, you can take this route. I sometimes enter Goa this way, From Sawantwadi to Shiroda and then pass by Tata metaliics and take the fery from Terekhol fort. My kids love to do this route as they get a ride in the fery. For them a Goa trip is uncomplete without a fery ride.
Old 9th February 2010, 16:51   #164
Senior - BHPian

@SAHIR.KITTUR

Where does this ferry drop you off in Goa and are there any specific working hours for the ferry ?

Last edited by khoj : 9th February 2010 at 16:53.
Old 10th February 2010, 09:47   #165
Senior - BHPian

Kittur, yeah, I guess that's a good way to go. On the ferry if one has time and has reached there early.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks