Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2009, 11:23   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
However, In spite of these 14 kms of really bad road I would take this as my first choice from Goa to belgaum and thereafter to pune / mumbai. as the roads on the alternative sawantwadi amboli sankleshwar route,100 odd km, are ok to bad in many patches.
Hi Goandude,
I drive from Mumbai to Candolim via Sankeshwar - amboli - sawantwadi 180km. For me to go via Belgaum - khanapur - londa - panjim means an additional 60 kms on better roads of 240 kms. Will I save time? Is it safer compared to the narrow Sankeshawar to Sawanwadi route. Are there any ghats? how much distance and how steep compared to the amboli ghat?I also reach the narrow Banda to pernem road while its dark So hate the oncoming head lights of the busses going to mumbai. Are there many trucks or oncoming traffic on the NH4A? I've been on a part fo it from panjim to old goa this January. I liked what I saw but can't remember if it has seperate lanes with a divider in the center. Maybe the 14 kms of bad road will be repaired soon.
Old 12th September 2009, 13:40   #77
BHPian

Need more details for Mumbai-Pune-Goa route

Hi Guys,

After going through your travelouges, I have finally decided to do my goa trip by road. Prior to this I have only done, khandala, pune & the longest is Chiplun by road.

Now I am planning for a 7 day vacation in Goa (december 1st week). But truly speaking I only know the road till the Dehu road exit on Mumbai Pune express way (i know it till pune, but as per road directions, I think I have to take Dehu road exit). After that it will be complete hide & seek for me. I dont have a GPS installed in my car.

I know I am gathering info too early, but lot of anxiety is building for taking a wrong road. I dont mind driving for 12-13 hours, as have done mumbai to Pune back to Mumbai & then again to Pune on the same day, at least thrice before. So driving 600 KM on a day is not a problem (normally I travel only 60km a day - Malad <-> Airoli), but hate to keep searching the roads & then finally do the 9 hour journey in 13 hours.

I have gone through the louges & understood the route roughly, it will be really helpful if I could get some more detailed layout about the Mumbai-Pune-Goa road (via Katraj bypass & so on). Specially I want to know major turns and some landmarks for them.

Normally when I am on a drive my better half enjoys the ride but always fails to mark the road & we landup on some wrong road & have to take turns as per someones guidance & finally we understand that we missed our planned route & landed somewhere else (though we manage to reach destination somehow). Just for the e.g. I have done mumbai pune (it was my first time) in 8 hours, went till ashok layland plant on Khed shivpur raod, then turned back and went somewhere else & finally came back to Hinjewadi via some route & then some one guided me correctly to main pune. I hope that explains my anxiety.
Old 12th September 2009, 14:02   #78
BHPian

modified sachin,

don't worry. the roads are pretty straightforward. Once the E'way ends, it curves right at the top of a flyover. Follow this road till you reach Belgaum. It is just one single road, so you will not miss even if you want to. Once u reach Belgaum, move off the NH4 highway towards the right and enter belgaum city. At major junctions, there will be boards pointing directions towards Khanapur. Once on that highway, you can follow milestones where Kms to Panaji is written.

Also, install google earth and check out the roads. measure exact distance on google earth when you change directions. (Esp. at Belgaum) Write it down, and follow it accurately.

It is good that you are planning this early for it.
Old 12th September 2009, 14:19   #79
BHPian

Sorry, one small confusion. I am suppose to take Dehu Road Exit on Express way or???
Old 12th September 2009, 14:49   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modifiedsachin View Post
Sorry, one small confusion. I am suppose to take Dehu Road Exit on Express way or???
haha modifiedsachin,
you really need detailed route.

mumbai-expressway-travel till end of express way-e way joins to dehuroad katraj bypass-continue on dehuroad katraj byepass-do not turn anywhere just cruise on this 4 lane road-cross all flyovers-do not turn at any flyover-ultimately you will be out of pune on this road-continue on 4 lane-tunnel-continue on 4 lane and you will be on satara side of hills-its nh4-continue-satara-continue-karad-kolhapur-do not enter in kolhapur-just be on 4 lane nh4-kagal-nipani-sankeshwar-ghat-at the top of ghat there is hotel kaveri-turn right at this junction-gadhinglaj-ajra-amboli-ghat-danoli-turn left-sawantwadi-panaji.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 12th September 2009 at 14:50.
Old 12th September 2009, 15:14   #81
BHPian

Thanks alot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
haha modifiedsachin,
you really need detailed route.
Hay thanks alot, I almost thought that I had to take that Dehu Road exit.

Its really great to have such a clear road map.

Thanks once again.

Following Sam's foot steps I am finalising to Stay at Manthevenhomes.
I also have an option of Hallmark Guest house, but dont have any review of it on this site & hence bit unsure.

I will be taking my accent for a makeover next saturday, as both the suspensions needs replacement very badly.

Now since I am done on route part, i will be able to concentrate on other pending issues.
Old 12th September 2009, 15:27   #82
BHPian

Hi,

Instead of turning at Hotel Kaveri, you could head straight for Belgaum without any turns on the highway itself. There, get off the highway and into the city and the road that takes you into the city is NH-4A. So, if you follow the signboards and keep to that track, you will reach the Khanapur-Londa road to Goa.
Old 12th September 2009, 15:42   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I took the NH4 - Kittur - khanapur - Londa - Ponda route while coming from Blore to Goa in August and the road was good BUT 14 km of the road after Londa is PATHETIC. a few labourers were trying to fill some potholes but didnt look loke they will finish this monsoon. the ghats are potholed in places. I dont know of the road condition from Belgaum to Khanapur. BTW w3e had incessant rains last few weeks so the road would have been worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akadian View Post
You are right and Ranjit has also confirmed the same. He has just used this route and says that Belgaum to Londa is excellent but the next 15-20 kms are simply pathetic. Seems like things have gone bad through the monsoons. My experience being pre-monsoon doesn't seem to hold good anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Hi Goandude,
I drive from Mumbai to Candolim via Sankeshwar - amboli - sawantwadi 180km. For me to go via Belgaum - khanapur - londa - panjim means an additional 60 kms on better roads of 240 kms. Will I save time? Is it safer compared to the narrow Sankeshawar to Sawanwadi route. Are there any ghats? how much distance and how steep compared to the amboli ghat?I also reach the narrow Banda to pernem road while its dark So hate the oncoming head lights of the busses going to mumbai. Are there many trucks or oncoming traffic on the NH4A? I've been on a part fo it from panjim to old goa this January. I liked what I saw but can't remember if it has seperate lanes with a divider in the center. Maybe the 14 kms of bad road will be repaired soon.
Quote:
Hi,

Instead of turning at Hotel Kaveri, you could head straight for Belgaum without any turns on the highway itself. There, get off the highway and into the city and the road that takes you into the city is NH-4A. So, if you follow the signboards and keep to that track, you will reach the Khanapur-Londa road to Goa.
bhai akadian,

look at the above posts with bold sentences.
despite knowing this, why should we suggest that belgaum-londa-ponda route to relatively newbie driver.
Old 12th September 2009, 15:48   #84
BHPian

Hay don't do that with me, I already have my better half to missguide me.
She is best at it, she will definately notice when I am atleast 20km on wrong way.
Old 12th September 2009, 15:52   #85
BHPian

Quote:
However, In spite of these 14 kms of really bad road I would take this as my first choice from Goa to belgaum and thereafter to pune / mumbai. as the roads on the alternative sawantwadi amboli sankleshwar route,100 odd km, are ok to bad in many patches.
Hi Ashish,

I think you missed out on this post.

Cheers
Old 12th September 2009, 15:57   #86
BHPian

By the way I am planning in December 1st week, will this bad roads issue will still be there?? Or its there for entire year.

And what is the advantage of taking this Londa route, less in KM or wider roads. I mean whats the gain, I might have, if the roads are better by december.

Last edited by Modifiedsachin : 12th September 2009 at 15:59.
Old 12th September 2009, 16:01   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think you missed out on this post.
no, i didn't miss it.

amboli route is common among mumbai-pune people to go to goa.
though belgaum-khanapur route is good at some places than amboli route, this route is relatively unknown.
when we suggest any new route to bhpians, we should keep in mind the experience of driver, co-passengers, their safety, possibility of getting any help during need, road conditions etc.
in the case of modifiedsachin, as he is unaware about the routes and terrain of that side as a driver, i suggested him the most frequented, safe, known route though road condition may be 19-20 than alternate route.
i appreciate and respect your suggestion.
cheers
Old 12th September 2009, 16:01   #88
BHPian

Hey Sachin,

It is not there all through the year as I had found the NH-4A route in excellent condition this May. Even now, goandude is saying that 14 kms of bad stretch on this route is much better than the Sawantwadi-Amboli-Sankeshwar stretch, which is bad in many places. I have a feeling that by December the NH-4A would be in excellent shape again as post-monsoon repairs will happen with top priority, it being a national highway and all
Old 12th September 2009, 16:06   #89
BHPian

I am travelling with my wife, her brother & his wife. So a single mistake & I will be facing devil in hell.

Sari duniya eak taraf & bivika bhai eaktaraf.

I have to take the safest route & I have to be the one who knows it all, if I ask any one of them to help me on any front, every one will start teasing me with all possible things.

One more help required, if I am not wrong Mumbai to Pune is 220 km from my place & I can have food at Express way food mall.

If I start at 6am from mumbai, I will be there in Khandala by 8.30 - 9. I can have breakfast there & then can move ahead, after passing Pune I guess I will need to halt near satara for Lunch. Are there any good hotels on this route.

My car gives FE of 13-15 on highways so I will need to refuel after 400Km to be on safer side, so which are the good fueling stations in that area.

By good I ment trust worthy. I was working with a despenser manufacturing company for 4 years & do know what all is done at local fueling stations.

Last edited by Modifiedsachin : 12th September 2009 at 16:17.
Old 12th September 2009, 16:32   #90
BHPian

Hi Sachin,

If you don't want to miss out on a good, worth-seeing spot, then use the Amboli Ghat way for sure. Many people have told me that it is worth visiting even though I've never been there till date. Only time I drove down to Goa, I went via Radhanagari-Sawantwadi way and came back via the Khanapur-Belgaum route

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks