Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2014, 13:54   #1366
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

I am going to goa tomorrow and planning to take the mumbai>kolhapur>belgaum>chorla>madgaon route. Will post the road conditions after my journey.
Old 23rd April 2014, 19:26   #1367
Senior - BHPian

Ranjith Parag & Filcord thanks for the replies

I'm looking for a road from Dharwad to Goa that turns left at Kitur and goes via Doodhsagar falls.... There is a doodhsagar resort on this route where you can stop for refreshments.

Any idea about this route? My friend went on it in a tourist taxi a few months ago.

Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
DF,

But I last heard the NH4A is potholed unless someone can confirm otherwise.In which case I would suggest that you stick to the Khanapur-Jamboti-Chorla-Sanquelim-Amona-Banastarim-Karmali-Mandur-Neura-Agassaim-Cortalim-Verna-Madgaon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
March 1st week NH4A was potholed so we took Jamboti Khanapur on return. ........
I actually loved Mollem stretch that was fantastic after Border.
If one wants 100% good roads, Belgaum Jamboti Chorla will be best option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
I have just done Dharwad Alnavar Ramnagar Molem twice in the last ten days. There is a toll road now from Dharwad to Ramnagar. Excellent surface and only two 100 m diversions for bridge building..
Old 23rd April 2014, 20:24   #1368
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Ranjith Parag & Filcord thanks for the replies

I'm looking for a road from Dharwad to Goa that turns left at Kitur and goes via Doodhsagar falls.... There is a doodhsagar resort on this route where you can stop for refreshments.

Take the Alnavar exit at Hubli-Dharwad bypass then. Dharwad-Alnavar-Ramnagar-Anmod-Mollem-Kulem. I checked the map for resort. Its at Mollem.

If you are coming from Pune side then Belgaum-Khanapur-Ramnagar-Anmod-Mollem. I don't think you need to go to Kittur. Because either way, you need to come to Ramnagar (via Khanapur or Alnavar).
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2014, 09:19   #1369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Take the Alnavar exit at Hubli-Dharwad bypass then. Dharwad-Alnavar-Ramnagar-Anmod-Mollem-Kulem. I checked the map for resort. Its at Mollem. . . ..
I agree. I traveled exactly this route. Come to think of it, there are plenty of signboards for the Doodhsagar resort all along the route coming to Goa from Ramnagar, and I think I did see the resort on the left just before the Molem checkpost. Of course I was driving and my navigator (wife) was by then only thinking of home and the kids' dinner, so so-one really paid attention.
filcord is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2014, 13:47   #1370
BHPian

Quote:
If you are coming from Pune side then Belgaum-Khanapur-Ramnagar-Anmod-Mollem. I don't think you need to go to Kittur. Because either way, you need to come to Ramnagar (via Khanapur or Alnavar).
Quote:
I agree. I traveled exactly this route. Come to think of it, there are plenty of signboards for the Doodhsagar resort all along the route coming to Goa from Ramnagar, and I think I did see the resort on the left just before the Molem checkpost. Of course I was driving and my navigator (wife) was by then only thinking of home and the kids' dinner, so so-one really paid attention.
Agree to the above, I have traveled on this exact route in Dec'13 on my way to Margao; you would cross the resort. I could not check it out properly as I crossed this route at 330am and everybody was sleeping.

Cheers!
Trojan

Last edited by Trojan : 24th April 2014 at 13:48. Reason: Added Details
Old 25th April 2014, 08:14   #1371
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone. Will be going from Dharwad to South Goa so have to take the Alnavar route. As Filcord mentions a Toll on SH34 it should be good all the way to Ramnagar.
I to thought Kitur is a bit out of the way but still wonder why my friend mentioned that the Taxi guy took them to/from belur via kitur to Goa.
How is the road from Ponda to Margao?
Best

Quote:
I have just done Dharwad Alnavar Ramnagar Molem twice in the last ten days. There is a toll road now from Dharwad to Ramnagar. Excellent surface and only two 100 m diversions for bridge building. The stretch from Ramnagar to Anmod is bad for around 22-odd km,.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
DF,

Dharwad-SH34-Alnavar-Ramnagar-NH4A all the way to Mollem.
https://goo.gl/maps/TMnTj
Quote:
Take the Alnavar exit at Hubli-Dharwad bypass then. Dharwad-Alnavar-Ramnagar-Anmod-Mollem-Kulem. I checked the map for resort. Its at Mollem.
I don't think you need to go to Kittur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
Agree to the above, I have traveled on this exact route in Dec'13 on my way to Margao;

Cheers!
Trojan
Old 25th April 2014, 13:23   #1372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
How is the road from Ponda to Margao?

The road from Ponda to Margao is really good, but I did not find it to be well marked and as a result I missed the way and had to ask many people.

I would be coming to Margao again in May, however, sticking to the Chorla route this time, due to the bad patch on the Khanapur route.

Cheers!
Trojan
Old 26th April 2014, 09:13   #1373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
The road from Ponda to Margao is really good, but I did not find it to be well marked and as a result I missed the way and had to ask many people.. . . Trojan
Quite right, even I, as a local have lost my way a couple of times, as this route has bypasses and roundabouts with very poor signposting. By abundant caution slow down and check for signs or stop and ask directions.
Old 26th April 2014, 11:18   #1374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnil.rahate View Post
I am going to goa tomorrow and planning to take the mumbai>kolhapur>belgaum>chorla>madgaon route. Will post the road conditions after my journey.
The road till chorla is superb. A small 30mins patch till sanquerim is not good but you can maintain speeds of about 40-50 . From there the road till margao is good but no sign boards anywhere. GPS on my phone helped me to get to margao no need to ask anyone If you have gps the route is pretty straightforward. I reached margao in 11 hrs with 2 hrs breaks in my honda city

Last edited by swapnil.rahate : 26th April 2014 at 11:19.
Old 28th April 2014, 02:15   #1375
BHPian

I used the Mumbai > Kolhapur > Belgaum > Chorla > Madgaon route this month, both for going to Goa and coming back and it was fab.

Though getting from Sanquerim to Madgaon in the afternoon took me less time than Madgaon to Sanquerim early in the morning!

Google maps works great till you go off the recommended path, then it simply goes nuts, but it's easier than stopping every 10 minutes to ask for directions.
Old 28th April 2014, 11:51   #1376

I am visiting north Goa in May and due to that was originally planning to take the Kolhapur- Amboli - Sawantwadi route.

With so many people favoring the Chorla route. I am compelled to take the Charla route as well . I would be driving to Goa for the first time and so am a bit jittery.

Kolhapur > Belgaum > Chorla it will be.

Quote:
BTW is there anyone else planning for Pune - Goa in that week
@harikr I am planning to go from Pune to Goa and leaving early morning on 1st May as well.
Old 28th April 2014, 12:14   #1377
BHPian

Hello Experts,

I am planning to drive to Goa (Me , my brother in law and may be 1 or 2 more friends.) (all guys trip)
We are planning to start 30/04/2014 evening/night form Bandra - Mumbai(after finishing office for the day) around 8-9 pm .

The plan is to reach Pune and find a decent accommodation for the night's sleep in Pune and start early morning on 01st may from Pune for Goa
I plan to be back to Mumbai by 04th May 2014 evening / night

My query is :
1)Can some one suggest decent budget accommodation at Pune Eway or nearby for the night of 30 april?
2)I prefer kolhapur route to Goa (starting from Pune on 01 May 2014 morning)
Can experts please help me with road map on this route and how i can smartly set destinations on my Android(Galaxy S3) ?
3)While on the route can someone also suggest me stop overs for lunch and then tea break etc?

My Car is Tata Manza (planned 3 or 4 occupants- all guys)
Please revert urgently .
Thanks in Advance
Regards

Last edited by madhu33 : 28th April 2014 at 12:39.
Old 28th April 2014, 13:56   #1378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
We are planning to start 30/04/2014 evening/night form Bandra - Mumbai(after finishing office for the day) around 8-9 pm .

The plan is to reach Pune and find a decent accommodation for the night's sleep in Pune and start early morning on 01st may from Pune for Goa

My query is :
1)Can some one suggest decent budget accommodation at Pune Eway or nearby for the night of 30 april?
Can experts please help me with road map on this route and how i can smartly set destinations on my Android(Galaxy S3) ?
3)While on the route can someone also suggest me stop overs for lunch and then tea break etc?
Hi Madhu,

Since you're leaving from Bandra in the evening, I feel you should look at crossing Pune and aim reaching Satara/Karad.
Reason - Late evening drive, Satara/Karad have plenty of hotels/lodges bang on the highway itself, which helps in an early start and plus you would complete some part of your journey already - leading to lesser travel in day time (hot conditions)
But then this is the way how I would plan, you should think about it.

Any reasons for sticking to Kolhapur route? As per posts from recent travelers the road is not in great shape, Chorla route is way better

I rarely use my phones map system, I prefer hard copies and detailed studies before I set out and in case of help, ask locals, phone is usually my last option

For places where you can stop/rest/eat, go with the flow, plenty of places where you can stop and relax. Before Satara - there is this hotel called Amruta Garden (quite popular with all Volvos) after Satara toll, there are a few good restaurants on your left. And then you reach Kolhapur, you would find many options here.

Cheers!
Trojan

Last edited by Trojan : 28th April 2014 at 13:59.
Trojan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 14:24   #1379
Distinguished - BHPian

Many people are heading to Goa this week to take advantage of thursday holiday

Me too, but for some personal work. Frequented on this stretch - Belgaum-Chorala-Sanquelim, I never had to drive through Chorala before dawn or after dusk. Although the roads are amazing, everything is just ideal, localites always warn us against driving on that stretch in night.

So the question is, are there any contrary views/ experiences that testify falseness in late hour travel risk on chorala route?
Old 28th April 2014, 14:32   #1380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
Hello Experts,

I am planning to drive to Goa (Me , my brother in law and may be 1 or 2 more friends.) (all guys trip)

I plan to be back to Mumbai by 04th May 2014 evening / night

My query is :

My Car is Tata Manza (planned 3 or 4 occupants- all guys)
Please revert urgently .
Thanks in Advance
Regards
madhu33,

May be a completely different dimension, but I would ask why you want to halt in Pune? You are an all-boys-group with multiple drivers. Why don't you start from Mumbai early, say around 4.00 AM, and head to Goa directly? With moderate halts, you would take about 12 hrs and could reach Goa by 4.00 PM, that is just 3 more hrs if you traveled from Pune to Goa. Of course, it all depends on what you are comfortable with. Please do not cross your comfort zone.

I would recommend Belgaum-Chorla route to reach Goa. Road quality is much better here and you can avoid traffic from Savantwadi till north/south Goa.
Musaafir is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks