Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2009, 21:08   #1
BHPian

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Hi guys,
Which is the best route from Kolhapur to Goa? Has anybody travelled on that route recently? How are the roads? Also grateful if someone could suggest a good place to stay in Kolhapur or beyond before reaching Goa.
Thanks
Old 5th February 2009, 21:20   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiceye View Post
Hi guys,
Which is the best route from Kolhapur to Goa? Has anybody travelled on that route recently? How are the roads? Also grateful if someone could suggest a good place to stay in Kolhapur or beyond before reaching Goa.
Thanks
i went to goa from kolhapur last week. I took kolhapur-gaganbavda-sawantwadi-goa. It took me 6 hours to reach goa. Roads were really good. The best route is kol-nipani-ajara-amboli-sawantwadi. You can stay at OPEL in kolhapur
udaydesai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2009, 21:26   #3
BHPian

I have travelled to Goa twice in last 4 months, once during Diwali and last time during X-mas. Both the times I have used the below route.

Kolhapur-Sankeshwar-Gandhiglaj-Ajra-Amboli-sawantwadi-Panjim

Road was good with I went in Oct'08 but in Dec'08 it was bit rough, but overall it was nice.

Also did night stay both the times in Kolhapur, there are many decent hotels on the main road itself and it wouldnt be a tough task to find a decent and budged accomodation. Also you get excellent food.
IndianNomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2009, 23:51   #4
BHPian

If you want to halt in Kolhapur, there is Hotel Ayodhya at Tara Rani chowk. To get there, you just keep going straight after entering Kolhapur from the express highway. You'll see a statue of a queen atop a horse (much like Jhansi ki Rani). This is Tara Rani chowk. Ayodhya Hotel is on the right of this chowk, on the main road itself (don't take a right, you'll see it just before the chowk on the other side of the road).
If you go left from this chowk, you'll come to Opal. they have accomodation too and simply amazing food. If in Kolhapur, you MUST eat here. Do reach at a decent time; I think they close by 10.30 P.M.
From Kolhapur, you can take the gagan bavda route. Ask for RANKALA. You'll see a large water body. Take the road alongside this waterbody and you'll reach the gagan bavda ghat. This road meets the Bombay-Goa highway at TALERE. Take a left and proceed to Goa via KANKAVLI - SAWANTWADI - GOA.

If you wish to bypass Kolhapur, you can head straight towards BELGAUM. Before Belgaum, at Nippani, you can turn right and take the AMBOLI ghat. This will take you directly to SAWANTWADI.

We went to Goa about a month ago via gagan bawda and the road was fairly nice. Very few bad patches, and even those were being repaired.

Happy Journey.
vikram18 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2009, 06:50   #5
BHPian

Thank you so much guys for the inputs.
Will stay at Opal and then move on as directed.
Old 9th February 2009, 10:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

I used this road on Jan 26, 2009 and (Sankeshwar-Gandhiglaj-Ajra-Amboli-sawantwadi) was horrible in patches, so rough at times that you had to drive at a snails pace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianNomad View Post
I have travelled to Goa twice ,...I have used the below route.
Kolhapur-Sankeshwar-Gandhiglaj-Ajra-Amboli-sawantwadi-Panjim
Road was good with I went in Oct'08 but in Dec'08 it was bit rough, but overall it was nice..
Old 9th February 2009, 11:03   #7
BHPian

How is the Kolhapur-Belgaum-Khanapur-Londa-Bandora-Panaji route?? Are the roads good in this path? And distance shorter?
Old 12th February 2009, 15:13   #8
BHPian

The route via Khanapur is convenient for those going to South Goa, and I am also keen to know its current status.

But after Khanapur, one need not go via Londa, there is a short-cut directly to Molem. You can see this clearly on Google Earth.
Old 12th February 2009, 16:51   #9
BHPian

Alternate route to Amboli Savantwadi - South Goa

I am planning Pune -South Goa on 22nd Feb in Sedan (Sonata CRDi) I have done the above team-bhp route N number of times and really tired of driving on the same route. I will like to travel on NH4 as much as possible (even if it means some additional kms), hence planning for NH4A from Belgaum-Varca - Few folks reported bad patches on NH4A but still reported 3 hours to reach Belgaum till south goa. I don't mind few bad patches if I can manage with the sedan.

Any updates / insights on this route?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 30th October 2019 at 10:26. Reason: Too many typos. Please do spell check before posting
Old 11th April 2009, 14:37   #10
BHPian

I am planning a Pune-Goa trip next weekend. Can anyone please let me which road is currently better:
Nippani - Sankeshwar - Gadhinglaj - Ajara OR
Nipani - Uttur - Ajara

Please advise!
Old 12th April 2009, 10:27   #11
BHPian

Mumbai to GOA, Best Route via NH4

Request everyone to give me some inputs regarding the subject.

I have been reading quite a few posts about this particular matter, But so far havent been able to detemine the best route to take to reach GOA via the NH4. Therefore please let me know the best route I should take, particularly keeping safety of the vehicle and also the occupants topmost in mind.

I am not particularly inclined to take the NH17, since it is a single carriageway and also the roads have a lot of twists and turns.

Appreciate if someone can please respond with the latest driving experiences with the best and safe route
Old 12th April 2009, 11:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin View Post
I have been reading quite a few posts about this particular matter, But so far havent been able to detemine the best route to take to reach GOA via the NH4. Therefore please let me know the best route I should take, particularly keeping safety of the vehicle and also the occupants topmost in mind.
don't worry, all routes to goa are safe if you drive cautiously.

best route will be
mumbai-expressway-pune-dehuroad katraj byepass-shindewadi tunnel on nh4[don't take katraj ghat]-nh4-satara-kolhapur byepass-nh4-kagal-nipani-sankeshwar-turn right-gadhinglaj-ajra-amboli-sawantwadi-goa.

on this route, mumbai to sankeshwar is 6/4 lane road.
after sankeshwar, you will be on two lane road upto goa.
sankeshwar to ajra is mixed road, some patches here and there,
ajra to sawantwadi via amboli is potholed road here and there as this area gets very high rainfall.
sawantwadi to goa is nh17.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 12th April 2009 at 11:24.
ASHISHPALLOD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2009, 16:09   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamishra View Post
I am planning a Pune-Goa trip next weekend. Can anyone please let me which road is currently better:
Nippani - Sankeshwar - Gadhinglaj - Ajara OR
Nipani - Uttur - Ajara

Please advise!
I would suggest
Nippani - Sankeshwar - Gandhiglaj -Ajra - Amboli - Sawantwadi - Goa

Been on this stretch twice, to and fro.

Done it first time in Oct-08 during Diwali time and second time in Dec-08 during x-mas time. Most of the rout is good except for few rough patches.
Old 13th April 2009, 07:28   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianNomad View Post
I would suggest
Nippani - Sankeshwar - Gandhiglaj -Ajra - Amboli - Sawantwadi - Goa

Been on this stretch twice, to and fro.

Done it first time in Oct-08 during Diwali time and second time in Dec-08 during x-mas time. Most of the rout is good except for few rough patches.
I will be driving down on May 9th 2009, starting early in the morning at 0530 Hrs, with my SWIFT ZXi, haven't done too many kms since I bought it in December 2005 (9500 Kms to date)

So I guess I will take the following route
Bombay (Borivili West) >> Aarey Colony >> EE Highway >> New Bombay via Mankhurd >> Pune >> Nippani >> Sankeshwar >> Gadhinglaj >> Ajra >> Amboli >> Sawantwadi >> Panjim >> South Goa (Cavellosim)

Does anybody else have a better alternative to the above ? Please feel free to suggest an alternative..

which particular stretch is it where you have these rough patches? I guess it is between Sankeshwar & Amboli... Sawantwadi... I hope the roads in this stretch are wide enough for at least a truck and a car to pass by safely

I have a couple of more queries, appreciate it very much if someone can suggest
1) Good petrol pumps en route where we can refuel (credit cards accepted?) I guess almost all of them accept cash and some Petro Card
2) Preferred places en route where we can stop and have lunch tea break etc...
3) Hope I can reach between 1600 - 1700 Hrs to my destination ?
Old 13th April 2009, 13:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

Jus got back from Goa today morning.Started off at 9 o clock in the night and at 6 o clock reached mumbai.

The best road to take would be Mumbai - Mahad - Chiplun - Sawantwadi - Goa.

The roads has a lot of scenic views, lots of ghats and brilliant brilliant roads.

The night journey never felt like a night journey, But yes you have to be careful, the ghats and twisties start without a warning and will catch you unaware many a times.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks