Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2012, 14:52   #976
Team-BHP Support

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunp View Post
As an added bonus, the route is very scenic: mountains, valleys and forests - would recommend it as the best route to North Goa from Karnataka.
Very good update. Looks like Chorla has been made up ! It was always a scenic route, but the bad roads, made no one pursue this option.
Now we have more options !
Old 26th December 2012, 16:52   #977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDHRUV View Post
Dear Tarun,
Many thanks for this latest update. Would you recommend this route for travelling further down South to Varca via Ponda and Margao.
Ponda is about 30 km from Sanquelim so you will have to work out the distance to your destination in South Goa accordingly. I would recommend this route if you are coming to Goa from Belgaum rather than from Bangalore.

Hope this helps.
tarunp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2012, 19:26   #978
Senior - BHPian

Hello Guys, Need goa help

Going to Goa day after, This time will be heading to a resort in South Goa near Benaulim Beach. Need help regarding the route to take to get there via Pune from Mumbai.
Old 29th December 2012, 12:13   #979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post

Going to Goa day after, This time will be heading to a resort in South Goa near Benaulim Beach. Need help regarding the route to take to get there via Pune from Mumbai.
Take standard route:

Pune-Kolhapur-Nipani-Gadhinglaj-Ajra-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Banda-Patradevi-Panaji-Madgaon-Benaulim

Safe and ok. Most of the road in very good condition. Only cautions: Do not turn off NH4 at Tawandi ghat (Goa-Ves restaurent). Instead travel 16 kms ahead and get off NH4 to Gadhinglaj via service road. Similarly, avoid taking Panaji road soon as you climb down Amboli Ghat. Instead go to Sawantwadi and join NH17 (Now NH66). You will see ample material about it on this thread itself if you go back a few pages.

Last edited by CANPUSH : 29th December 2012 at 12:14. Reason: Coorecting Spelling error
Old 29th December 2012, 12:36   #980
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post

Don't take the Nipani route, a friend went there 3 days ago and said the roads are still crap. Continue on the Bbbay-Bangalore highway after Nipani till you come to Sankeshwar, that will lead you upto Gandhinglaj and then continue to Aajra, Amboli, Sawantwadi etc.
Old 29th December 2012, 21:17   #981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunp View Post
2. Belgaum - Jamboti -Kanakumbi - Chorla - Sanquelim. To get on to this route, you need to travel 7 km south of Belgaum on the Khanapur road and take a right turn at Peeranwadi. Absolutely brilliant route, recently laid, roads smooth as butter (at least till Chorla), and distance to Sanquelim only 85 km! Only a small 2 km section is currently under repair but that's no big deal - I did it easily despite the low GC of my Hyundai Sonata Gold. As an added bonus, the route is very scenic: mountains, valleys and forests - would recommend it as the best route to North Goa from Karnataka.
Went to Panajim on 25th and came back today on 29th, both ways I went using this route. I concur, its a beautiful route and as already said this road is makkhan

Points to note:
  • Approx 2 kms of road is being constructed currently. Still this road is pretty levelled with pre-surfacing material not a cause to worry.
  • Look out for an odd crater in the Chorla Ghat.
  • While going from Belgaum to Panaji please make sure to take right turn diversion at Peeranwadi this distance is shorter and directly gets you to Jamboti, if you miss this turn then you may go via Khanapur which adds around 20-25 odd kms.
  • While going from Belgaum to Panaji please note to take left turn diversion just after Jamboti this distance is shorter and directly gets you to Peeranwadi, if you miss this turn then you may go via Khanapur which adds around 20-25 odd kms
Old 30th December 2012, 10:01   #982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
Went to Panajim on 25th and came back today on 29th, both ways I went using this route. I concur, its a beautiful route and as already said this road is makkhan

Points to note:
  • Approx 2 kms of road is being constructed currently. Still this road is pretty levelled with pre-surfacing material not a cause to worry.
  • Look out for an odd crater in the Chorla Ghat.
  • While going from Belgaum to Panaji please make sure to take right turn diversion at Peeranwadi this distance is shorter and directly gets you to Jamboti, if you miss this turn then you may go via Khanapur which adds around 20-25 odd kms.
  • While going from Belgaum to Panaji please note to take left turn diversion just after Jamboti this distance is shorter and directly gets you to Peeranwadi, if you miss this turn then you may go via Khanapur which adds around 20-25 odd kms
Its great news to read the Chorla route reports. Can the guys who have travelled this route in the past few days confirm what is the best route to get from Sanquelim to Panaji - two routes seem to be available on google maps - one is via Bicholim and one is via Corlim and Old Goa. So of these two, which one would be the better option in terms of distance and road surface.

Also, while going from Belgaum to Peeranwadi, did you guys find the 3 railway crossings too much of a hassle or it is bearable ?

Last edited by suniladhiya : 30th December 2012 at 10:04. Reason: Typo
Old 30th December 2012, 12:45   #983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suniladhiya View Post
Its great news to read the Chorla route reports. Can the guys who have travelled this route in the past few days confirm what is the best route to get from Sanquelim to Panaji - two routes seem to be available on google maps - one is via Bicholim and one is via Corlim and Old Goa. So of these two, which one would be the better option in terms of distance and road surface.

Also, while going from Belgaum to Peeranwadi, did you guys find the 3 railway crossings too much of a hassle or it is bearable ?
Sanquelim - Amona -Marcel - Banastrim - Old Goa is the best route to Panjim - about 30 km. At Old Goa, you can either go past the churches and take the old route alongside the Mandovi river to Panjim, or take the by-pass which is faster and only 1KM longer.

Regarding the railway crossings between Belgaum and Peeranwadi, I did not really notice them, so I guess they are no hassle !
Old 30th December 2012, 13:43   #984
BHPian

Thanks a ton Tarun. I will certainly try this route on my next trip to Panaji maybe this summer. Hope the 2 km stretch in Chorla is also brought upto scratch by then. I would definitely prefer the route via the churches - its one of our favourite roads and we never fail to be enchanted by the beauty around with the Mandovi in the background and the old Portugese style houses on both sides of the road.
Old 30th December 2012, 19:27   #985
BHPian

Quote:

I took the one via Corlim and Old Goa, I visited Mangeshi temple and Shantadurga temple while on this way to Panjim. The surface overall in GOA is pretty good, no worry.

From Belgaum to Peeranwadi I noticed only one railway crossing but it was crossed by a flyover so no issues.

One more point to note is most of the roads in Belgaum are notified with speed limit 40 and the roads from Belgaum to Peeranwadi are with speed limit 30 and believe it they take it quite seriously, I was caught in the speed trap on my way to Panjim (paid Rs. 100 fine with receipt) on the return journey I was once bitten smart and saw 2 speed traps.

Some of these roads from Belgaum to Peeranwadi are also don't overtake roads.
RemingtonSteele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2013, 14:11   #986

I went on NH4 from Mumbai to Kohlapur via Pune & Satara. This is a great road. Covered 385 km in just over 6 hours. Stayed the night at Orient Crown in Kolhapur which is a just 1 km off the highway, has adequate parking and they give you complimentary breakfast. And they clean your car in the morning!
Next day I went further on NH4 to Sankeshwar & then turned off NH4 and went through Gadhinglaj, Ajara, Amboli Ghat & Sawantwadi. This is about 160 km and I could do this in about 4 hours-several stops for the view & photos. The road is in fairly good condition in most parts and average in a few stretches. Other friends who turned off NH4 from Nippani to Ajara complained about that road. I think this route through Sankeshwar-Gadhinglaj-Ajara is a much better route. From Sawantwadi you hit NH17 and its about 40-50 km to the north Goa beaches.
Old 1st January 2013, 17:14   #987
BHPian

Hi guys,

Here's the latest news on the Chorla Ghat route, pasted from the Goa Herald website:

PANJIM: The PWD plans to introduce toll at Chorla Ghat as it undertakes widening and improvement of the 60 km road stretch within the Goa region.
PWD Minister Sudin Dhavalikar said that while Karnataka government has completed work on the 60 km stretch from Jambul to Belgaum, Goa would also complete reinforcing 60 km of the highway from Panjim to Jambul within the next 15 to 20 days.
“Presently there are a lot of potholes which we will take care of within the next two weeks,” Dhavalikar said. Plans are on to open the road for small cars and later introduce toll for those proceeding to Belgaum via Chorla ghat.
The PWD minister informed that presently the road is around 7.5 meters wide in Goa and there was need to widen it further.

Cheers and Happy Driving.
suniladhiya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 16:42   #988
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,

Here's the latest news on the Chorla Ghat route, pasted from the Goa Herald website:

PANJIM: The PWD plans to introduce toll at Chorla Ghat as it undertakes widening and improvement of the 60 km road stretch within the Goa region.
PWD Minister Sudin Dhavalikar said that while Karnataka government has completed work on the 60 km stretch from Jambul to Belgaum, Goa would also complete reinforcing 60 km of the highway from Panjim to Jambul within the next 15 to 20 days.
“Presently there are a lot of potholes which we will take care of within the next two weeks,” Dhavalikar said. Plans are on to open the road for small cars and later introduce toll for those proceeding to Belgaum via Chorla ghat.
The PWD minister informed that presently the road is around 7.5 meters wide in Goa and there was need to widen it further.

Cheers and Happy Driving.
That's surely a good news as it will further cut down travel time between Pune/ Kolhapur/ Belgaum and Panaji. Hope they will also widen it to at least 12 meters soon to allow easier movement of traffic.
Old 8th January 2013, 11:46   #989
BHPian

Hi all,

As most of us active on this thread may be aware, the NH4A route from Belgaum to Panaji via Ramnagar-Londa-Ponda is theroetcially supposed to be under 4 laning GQ style for the last year or two. A recent article in the Goa Herald amply shows the complete inactivity on this front. Its anybody's guess when this would finally see the light of day.

Tried to paste this here but its throwing up a whole lot of junk characters, dont know why, hence avoided pasting.

Last edited by suniladhiya : 8th January 2013 at 11:51.
Old 8th January 2013, 13:29   #990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

As most of us active on this thread may be aware, the NH4A route from Belgaum to Panaji via Ramnagar-Londa-Ponda is theroetcially supposed to be under 4 laning GQ style

Tried to paste this here but its throwing up a whole lot of junk characters, dont know why, hence avoided pasting.
Is this what you're referring to? http://oheraldo.in/News/main%20page%...rti/55436.html
Cheers

Most Viewed