Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2016, 09:46   #1966
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Hi Guys,

I drove back to Goa on the 24th. of August.
(Apologies for the late report but we had no Internet in Goa for various reasons).
We left Bombay at 0600 hrs (Joined the Western Express Highway at Andheri) and were in Mapuca at 16:05 hrs.
Used the same route as I did when coming up (see post below)and regretted it.
The road between Ajra and Amboli had worsened in the last two weeks.
A lot more potholes and several deep ones as well which could not be avoided.
I also found the road from NH4 - Nipani and Uttur to Ajra to be quite "lumpy" - though maybe that's the effect after having driven on the super smooth NH4 for the previous couple of hours.
Noticed that the Khambhatki Ghat (just after Poona) has been widened in several places so that's a good thing as otherwise it was guaranteed one would get stuck behind a slow moving truck or ST bus.
I felt that there were less potholes on the South bound side of NH4 as compared to the North.
The first three "diversions" between Poona and Satara are in bad shape. Low slung vehicles take note. You WILL scrape the bottom of your car.
Got stuck at Tiswadi and Kini toll booths as a "new company" had just taken over the booths and were struggling to issue toll tickets.

My wife who is prone to car sickness was also not impressed with the Amboli road at all. Next time I will definitely stick to my usual Chorla road.

I don't understand why people keep saying that the Chorla road is only good for South Goa. Once you have entered Sanquelim and passed under the bridge, there are two routes. One taking you to Mapuca (very much North Goa) - turn left - and the other to Panjim - turn right. If you take the Mapuca route via Bicholim, Assonora and Tivim you end up at the old NH17 literally at the entrance of Mapuca city. (I have never used the Panjim route).
The difference in distance for me between Amboli and Chorla is only 11 Kms. I live in North Goa.
The one negative point is having to pass through Belgaum city at lunch time when there's a fair bit of traffic. Even then that takes a max of 30 minutes.
And Yes! Chorla is a bit lonely so not recommended after dark.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 18:00   #1967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
We are 2 families planning Mumbai to Goa in November, just after Diwali. Which road should we take to go to Candolim. Google maps says to take right turn from Nipani, not to go up to Belgavi?
We plan to go to Ganpatiphule from Goa and then back to Mumbai. Should we take NH17 and then take turn before Nagothane and come to Mumbai via Khopoli?
What are the road conditions right now?
Do try the route suggested by Google, it shouldn't be very bad. As a rule of thumb on this route, KA and Goa will have better roads than MH. From Nipani you enter Gadhinglaj and will find poor roads. Driving through Belgavi might be a bit too much due to city traffic.

Returning via NH 17 till Ganapati Pule might be good as it's a coastal road and you should be able to enjoy the greenery. From then on, I would prefer to get onto NH4 at some point. The section near Panvel on the NH17 is hell, and isn't likely to improve anytime soon.
Old 5th September 2016, 18:30   #1968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post

Returning via NH 17 till Ganapati Pule might be good as it's a coastal road and you should be able to enjoy the greenery. From then on, I would prefer to get onto NH4 at some point. The section near Panvel on the NH17 is hell, and isn't likely to improve anytime soon.
Don't return via Panvel. On NH17/66, take a right turn at a place named Vakan towards Khopoli Pali road (or Imagica road as widely called). This will lead you to the Mumbai Pune Expressway which you will meet at Khalapur. This will save you from the dreaded jams at Vadkhal Naka on NH17.
Old 18th September 2016, 19:49   #1969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
We are 2 families planning Mumbai to Goa in November, just after Diwali. Which road should we take to go to Candolim. Google maps says to take right turn from Nipani, not to go up to Belgavi?
We plan to go to Ganpatiphule from Goa and then back to Mumbai. Should we take NH17 and then take turn before Nagothane and come to Mumbai via Khopoli?
What are the road conditions right now?

Mods : I posted the same question on another thread, Mumbai - Goa, but then I saw that this is much more active. Hope it's okay to post in 2 threads.
Jesrani, heading towards Goa, the Nipani road is better. During and post monsoon the road becomes umm.. 'Mumbai style' with plenty of potholes. But they do start repairing the roads towards the end of monsoon.
I also plan to drive down sometime in Oct-Nov.
Chinmayd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 09:24   #1970

Can anyone help me with the latest condition of the roads through Amboli ? Planning a Goa trip on 24th from Pune and wanted to know whether to take the Amboli or Chorla route. Will be heading to Vasco .
Old 19th September 2016, 10:02   #1971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick78 View Post
Can anyone help me with the latest condition of the roads through Amboli ? Planning a Goa trip on 24th from Pune and wanted to know whether to take the Amboli or Chorla route. Will be heading to Vasco .
The road condition on Amboli route isn't that great. Chora would be the best option as you are heading for Vasco (South Goa)
Old 20th September 2016, 17:30   #1972
BHPian

I am travelling to Goa tomorrow. How is the road condition of Amboli Ghat now if anyone has recently travelled. Any information will be highly helpful. Thanks.
Old 21st September 2016, 00:11   #1973
BHPian

Hi sidd25,

It's been just under a month since I used the Amboli road and it was not in good shape. I doubt whether repairs would have been carried out yet. Usually repair work only starts end October.

Would suggest you use the Chorla road instead.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 12:02   #1974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi sidd25,

It's been just under a month since I used the Amboli road and it was not in good shape. I doubt whether repairs would have been carried out yet. Usually repair work only starts end October.

Would suggest you use the Chorla road instead.

Regards,
SS
Thanks Suzuki....I am leaving for Goa via Belgavi - Chorla..
Old 22nd September 2016, 16:46   #1975
BHPian

Friends, I am planning for a trip starting from Bangalore covering Panchagani - Mahabaleswar - Tapola - Kaas and from there to Tarkarli Beach/Sindhudurg Fort. I have tentatively decided to take the route https://goo.gl/maps/NkRnxzvYyQw May I know the route condition, and if it is bad what is best alterative or better route than this?

Any suggestion for night stay at Kolhapur and a day/night stay at Tarkarli / Malwan?

Thanks in advance,
Rajesh
Old 24th September 2016, 21:51   #1976
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidd25 View Post
Thanks Suzuki....I am leaving for Goa via Belgavi - Chorla..
Hi sidd25,

Could you please give us some updates on the Chorla road?
Intending to drive down to Goa in a couple of weeks.

Thanks,
SS
Old 24th September 2016, 22:37   #1977
BHPian

The roads are nice and instead of rains there is no problem at all.
Old 2nd October 2016, 20:26   #1978
BHPian

Can some confirm the exact route to be taken from Belgaum - North Goa, travelling from Pune next weekend.
Old 2nd October 2016, 21:08   #1979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Any suggestion for night stay at Kolhapur and a day/night stay at Tarkarli / Malwan?
Hotel Rajat at Tarabai Chowk / Kawala naka is my personal favourite. A thousand bucks with 24 hour check in, comfy rooms, open parking and unlimited breakfast included.

It's also located not far from the NH4, so a quick exit to the highway.

There are others in the vicinity like Opal etc which I haven't experienced but are recommended by others. So take your pick.
Old 7th October 2016, 09:48   #1980
BHPian

Has anyone tried reaching South Goa via Anmod Ghat - Khanapur - Anmod - Mollem to Belgaum route? Google maps shows this as the best option. Reviews from 2012 indicate this route was in bad shape. I am torn between Amboli Ghat, Chorla or this other route for my drive back to Delhi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks