Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2021, 18:09   #3391
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Has anyone traveled the Amboli or Gaganbawda route recently? How is the road condition, and could it be considered even as a 2nd preferred route for Pune, Mumbai from Goa? I have taken the chorla route many times, and will be taking it on my journey tomorrow from Bangalore, but I was thinking of trying other options apart from Chorla and Anmod for the onward journey from Goa to Mumbai.
Old 15th September 2021, 19:39   #3392
BHPian

We traveled from Pune to Goa today, started at 05:00 AM from Pune and reached south Goa at 01:45 PM with total breaks of around 15 mins. With 2 kids onboard, it was really surprising for us that we reached before 2 PM.

It was a smooth journey overall, we took Chorla ghat route via Belgavi. Chorla ghat drive was really good except for few potholes. But please be aware that these potholes are really bad ones, so be extra cautious. If possible, follow another vehicle.

Regarding RT-PCR, we were asked to show vaccine certificate/RTPCR report at 2 places. First at MH-KA border and then at KA-GA border, we were also asked for PUC at goa border. They might not be checking details on report or vaccine Certifiate, but it is good to have either of the two.
INJAXN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 22:09   #3393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
Has anyone traveled the Amboli or Gaganbawda route recently? How is the road condition, and could it be considered even as a 2nd preferred route for Pune, Mumbai from Goa?
Took Amboli 10 days ago and posted about it here. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5141904 (Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries)

To summarise, Amboli itself is fine but the roads before and after the ghat aren’t in good condition. When you exit the Kolhapur Belgaum highway after Nippani, you’ll encounter some broken roads with lots of potholes. It becomes a chore to drive through that. When we crossed that stretch it was pouring like crazy so there were spots where I was worried about the depth of potholes. With less rain it wouldn’t be a problem.

The roads after Sawantwadi all the way till Panaji are in terrible shape right now. The route is fine, but it’ll take you a lot longer than Chorla right now. Based on reports here, Anmod is okay with a 5-10km long stretch of craters. Chorla has some potholes and small 5-20 metre stretches of broken roads but it’s smooth mostly.
Old 16th September 2021, 09:47   #3394
Senior - BHPian

Route update
We (on motorcycles) did Pune -> Kolhapur -> Belagavi -> Khanapur -> Mollem Checkpost -> Palolem/Canacona -> Chorla -> Belagavi -> Kolhapur -> Pune on 10-12 Sep long weekend. Chorla ghat is better than Khanapur -> Bhimgad Sanctuary -> Mollem route. However, with some care, both routes can be done without much issues. I did with ~350 kilos, 120mm low GC Fatboy in pouring rains.

Covid checks
Huge pile-up of cars near Kognoli checkpost after Kolhapur before KN entry. However, no checking for two wheelers, we were guided through a separate lane . Goa checkpost at Mollem was stricter. They were stopping and checking every vehicle. My 15+ days old double vaccination certificate was accepted. Other two friends had to go through RAT as their double vaccination was less than a week old. On return there were no checks.

Faced season's heaviest downpour between Belgaum to Katraj. Took us 8 hours to reach Pune from Kolhapur but both bikes and bikers reached home safely. This was a memorable "revenge" ride after eight months of hibernation .

Cheers,
-BJ
bj96 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 09:51   #3395
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
Has anyone traveled the Amboli or Gaganbawda route recently? How is the road condition, and could it be considered even as a 2nd preferred route for Pune, Mumbai from Goa?.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
To summarise, Amboli itself is fine but the roads before and after the ghat aren’t in good condition. When you exit the Kolhapur Belgaum highway after Nippani, you’ll encounter some broken roads with lots of potholes. It becomes a chore to drive through that. When we crossed that stretch it was pouring like crazy so there were spots where I was worried about the depth of potholes. With less rain it wouldn’t be a problem.
I wish I had not taken Amboli route in my trip last weekend. What a nightmare it was. The roads between Nipani to Ajara are ok upto Uttur until you hit Ajara Gadhinglaj road. Post that, it is a mix bag of bad patches with lots of potholes.

It gets worse between Ajara and Amboli. Perhaps the worst section of the journey. Amboli ghat isn't in its best state. Several places have flushed down and are barely usable.

I'd give this a pass and try Chorla next time.
moralfibre is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 16:45   #3396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2285 View Post
I am driving to South Goa from Mumbai today. I will be taking my X1. We will be halting at Belgavi tonight and will take the chorla Ghat route to South Goa tomorrow. I will keep you posted. Cheers.

So we left from Mumbai for Goa at 11am on 10th September. Since we were heading to South Goa, we halted at Fairfield by Marriott, Belgavi. Owing to public holiday in Mumbai (Ganesh Chaturthi), roads were empty. We reached the hotel at 6:30pm. I enjoyed every minute of the drive. I drove very cautiously from Pune to Satara. There are a lot of potholes, but if driven carefully, they can be avoided. We made good time. The drive was so comfortable that my 6 year old slept in the car at 11am and woke up directly at 6:30pm. All thanks to my priced possession, the BMW X1. (ya ya, it's not a true BMW owing to FWD and lacks the BMW DNA), BUT, we love it to bits. The 2L turbo diesel has enough to keep me all the way. It covers up for the basic interiors, oodles of space in the boot that swallows luggage like noone's business. Home minister is happy with enough space at the rear that can comfortably seat in-laws too (at the end, that is what matters right? for a HAPPY FAMILY)

Coming back to the trip, we were stopped at the Kognoli Toll Plaza and were asked for our RTPCR Reports. They did not notice my daughter in deep slumber under the blanket on the rear seat. Also, we told them we have taken both vaccinations and 2nd vaccination (14 days+). They did not bother checking the dates and let us go. The drive after that until Belgavi was uneventful.

Next morning we started at 9am from Fairfield by Marriott, towards chorla Ghat. The drive was scenic. Chorla Ghat is in very good condition as compared to what it was in February 2021. There are a lot of potholes, but if driven carefully, are manageable. I heard horrifying stories of road conditions in Ajra / Amboli, but, we were glad we took the Chorla Ghat route. I clicked few pictures and have posted below. Let the pictures do the talking. We stayed at ITC Grand, Goa, down South for 3 nights and then headed to Club Mahindra, Varca for 4 nights. Goa is flooded with tourists and this happens to be off-season

We left from Goa for Mumbai yesterday, 18th September, at 5am from Varca.We were not stopped anywhere for either RTPCR or Vaccination certificates.

My native place is Mangalore, but for some reason, we keep going back to Goa. It is like our 2nd home away from Mumbai. We just love the food there. In the duration of 8 nights, we went to Martins Corner and Fishermen's wharf THRICE! Love for Goan food and music, I must say!

Now, time for pictures!

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-road-after-kolhapur.jpg

Special BHPian Parking - Spot my X1

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-fairfeld-normal-parking.jpg
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-fairfield-parking-bmw.jpg

What a view!

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-road-chorla-ghat.jpg
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-chorla-fog.jpg
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-chorla-trees.jpg
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-chorla-twisties.jpg

Somewhere in chorla:
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-pic-chorla-1.jpg
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-pic-chorla-2.jpg
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-pic-chorla-3.jpg
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-pic-chorla-4.jpg
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-scenic-view-chorla.jpg

We drove to Vagator for Lunch at Antares:
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-antares.jpg

We drove to Palolem Beach too:
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-palolem-beach.jpg

Goa:
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-goa-scenic-greenery.jpg

Somewhere in Varca:
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-pic-varca-1.jpg
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-pic-varca-2.jpg
Name:  Pic at Varca 3.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  118.9 KB
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-pic-varca-4.jpg

A customary detailing session after the trip:
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-pic-after-3m-1.jpg
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-pic-after-3m-2.jpg
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-pic-after-3m-3.jpg
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-pic-after-3m-4.jpg

Last edited by RJ2285 : 19th September 2021 at 17:06.
RJ2285 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 12:44   #3397
BHPian

I drove from Pune (Kalyani Nagar) to North Goa (Candolim) on the 18th.

Left home at 4:50am and reached my friend's place in Candolim at 12:00pm, no stops except for a couple of bathroom breaks and Covid checks at Kagnoli and the Goa border.

Fastag puts me at the Kagnoli toll at 8:08 am and the check post is just before the toll so at ~8:05 am there were only 2-3 cars in line.

I had a printout of an RT-PCR test (taken 48 hrs prior to departure) and my final vaccination certificate (second dose taken ~45 days back) in a file and tried to hand it to the police officer at the checkpost, but he lost interest once I told him that I was going to Goa and waved me on.

I tried the same trick at the Goa border, but here they insist that you park your car on the side of the road and show your report/vaccination certificate at the checkpost, there is not further verification so you could theoretically park your car, walk to the checkpost (it was a total scrum, no one can see what's going on) and walk back to your car and drive off.

Quick tip, go to the window on the side of the checkpost building/shack, that is where you can show your vaccination certificate (no need for an RT-PCR test if you are 15 days past you second dose), the line at the front is for those who need to take a test. There was no signage, but I saw someone at the window showing his vaccination certificate and, fortunately, didn't waste any time in the longer queue.

The Amboli route isn't in great shape and you will need to take it easy in a sedan or vehicle with low ground clearance, but it is manageable. Once you reach Goa, NH66 actually seems in worse condition than in Nov & Dec of last year.

Last edited by awarty : 20th September 2021 at 12:45. Reason: Typo
awarty is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 15:18   #3398
BHPian

We traveled from Goa to Pune on 19th, took exactly the same route which we took while going to Pune.
We followed goa-> chorla ghat-> belagavi -> kolhapur -> Pune. At Karnataka border we were asked for RTPCR/vaccine certificate, Showed them on Phone, they were not checking details like Name, date etc.

We were also stopped for checking if we are carrying any liquor with us , the police man asked us to open both the bags, he thoroughly searched both the bags but did not find any liquor as we were not carrying it (or this is what I thought). Later wifey told that she kept the complimentary wine bottle from resort ( fir my cousin) in 1 of the bags, luckily that bag was in the cabin and was not searched.

During our journey we touched this milestone in our humble Swift - 39k KMS
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-8f30c997bf3f44d087fec2e9124ae37d.jpeg  

INJAXN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 21:25   #3399
BHPian

Guys, what's the condition of Bhimgad route. I need to travel to Palolem. Google suggests Bhimgad route. With Chorla I will have to cross Mapusa, Panaji, Margao which I believe will be mess due to road widening?
Old 21st September 2021, 22:02   #3400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Guys, what's the condition of Bhimgad route. I need to travel to Palolem.
Refer my update 3-4 posts back. Did this just 10 days ago, to Palolem. The road is okay mostly with few scattered rough patches and wide pot holes which can be easily negotiated with some careful driving. However, the route is an isolated one with no amenities for almost 40 odd kms, meandering through forest land.

Cheers,
-BJ
bj96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 09:03   #3401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
With Chorla I will have to cross Mapusa, Panaji, Margao which I believe will be mess due to road widening?
If you take the Chorla route, Mapusa & Panaji doesn't come into the picture.

https://goo.gl/maps/b7PprQ6xozBQpUve9

However, for Palolem, route via Bhimgad will be the most optimum one.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 22nd September 2021 at 09:04.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 11:46   #3402
BHPian

Did the Pune-Kolhapur-Nipani-Uttur-Ajra-Amboli-Banda-Arambol stretch this weekend. Came back the same way. Took a total of ~8hr 40 min of driving time. Honestly I found the Pune-Satara stretch worse than the roads near Ajra or near Banda. At least in terms of driving stressors. The potholes on the highway just take you by surprise.

As mentioned a few posts earlier, Amboli ghat itself is in pretty decent shape; but roads to and after the ghat are slightly jarring. Almost like short patches of unsurfaced roads. The annoyance here is that we have a 400m stretch thats really good thats followed by a 200m patch of slightly bad road. Limits the average speed significantly. Was able to manage on the polo rather easily though - -better than expected. I think I had lowered my expectations a bit too much though :P.

COVID wise, the vaccination certificates and proof of hotel booking was checked at the KA border. They let us through as we said we were headed to Goa and that we had a confirmed reservation for the same. The certificates were also checked at the Goa border.

Last edited by MegaWhat : 22nd September 2021 at 11:48.
MegaWhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 17:27   #3403
BHPian

I did the Mumbai - Pune - Satara - Kolhapur - Belagavi - Chorla - Varca route on 17th and came back on the 20th.

Since I was on my motorcycle, I was not stopped at any check post for any RT-PCR or vaccination reports. Took me 10.5 hrs to reach Varca from Mumbai although GMaps showed 13hrs. As mentioned by @MegaWhat, the roads between Pune and Satara have a few potholes/craters on the way which really take you by surprise. So please drive carefully especially in the dark. The potholes on the road in the opposite direction are mostly patched though.

The roads leading to and from Chorla ghat, too, have a few patches of potholes here and there, but not too many to get bothered by.

Thankfully, the rain gods didn't visit for my stay in Goa
rahulbhosle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 07:26   #3404
BHPian

Last week I managed to drive to Mumbai from Goa via the Chorla route. Although I have driven on this route on countless occasions, this is the first time I covered it in an overnight journey. Left from Porvorim at 11:30 at night and reached Thane at 10 in morning. Covered the journey in my cousin's humble 2009 model Santro with 1.25 lakhs on the odo and filled to brim with luggage and total 5 passengers which reduced the ground clearance considerably.
Had to negotiate really carefully on the craters on the Chorla ghat seen mostly on sharp turns.
Traffic was minimal throughout and absence of any speed cameras at night allowed us to make brisk progress. Tea is available on roadside shops near most of the toll gates.
Mumbai Pune expressway now have speed cameras installed on poles with flash to catch speeding cars at night also. Maintaining 50kmph limits on ghats is also challenging especially in straight slopes.
One point to note is that there are no covid checks at night at KA border.
Old 25th September 2021, 11:55   #3405
BHPian

I traveled from Mumbai to Goa last week. I was put up in North Goa /Aguada and took the Mumbai >Pune>Kolhapur>Nipani >Amboli route.

We were 4 adults and 1 child (6yo). I had my parents (Snr citizens) traveling with me. Took my Tucson for a long drive for the first time since I bought it in Jan this year. The driving time both ways was an exact 10.30 hrs. With stops (not very elaborate stops) we tool around 11.30 hrs to reach the destination. I got an overall mileage of around 12.4 kmpl. The mileage was around 8.3 kmpl in the ghat section. Others can say if this is good or not.

On my way to Goa, missed a turn on the National highway after Nipani to take the Ajra-Nipani link road. Google Maps re-routed to take us through Gadhinglaj and then Amboli ghat. This route passes through some villages and the roads were also not in a great condition. Slowed us down considerably. For people going on this route, a landmark is Hotel Satywathi on the highway. There is an immediate right turn from this hotel that you should take on route to Goa to catch the Ajra-Nipani link road. I took this road on my way back to Mumbai. The road is excellent but for a few patches that are damaged due to the rains. Overall a very smooth experience given that I was traveling with 2 senior citizens and a kid.

At the Karnataka border, they just stopped the car to ask where we were headed to. When you mention Goa, they don't even bother to check anything. At the Goa entry, the car was stopped to check for the RTPCR or vaccination certificates. Again no hassles. In fact the car was parked quite faraway from the checkpost and they didn't even bother to see who was in the car. I had taken a home RAT test for my kid since the gotten mentioned that it is mandatory. But no one really checked this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks