Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2021, 23:09   #3346
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustom View Post
Has anyone taken the Kolhapur-Radhanagari-Phondaghat-Kankavali route very recently? I would like to avoid the RT-PCR check by sticking to Maharashtra itself but have never gone via Phondaghat. My wife has scratched Gaganbawada as it was closed due to landslides last month.
The Radhanagri patch is never good, hence I avoid it, plus major traffic of ST buses and tractors.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 11:27   #3347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustom View Post
@royalbeat, Thank you for the detailed responses. Much appreciated. We are planning to take the Nipani-Ajra-Amboli route to Sawantwadi-Vengurla next week and will be leaving the highway at Goa Ves a while before Belgaum. Is the RTPCR check done at the very first toll when we enter Karnataka (Kognoli??) or is it much closer to Belgaum.

We are fully vaccinated and are going to take our certificates with us.

Thanks in advance!!
Apologies for a delayed response. Was caught up in some work. RT-PCR was checked at Kognoli toll. Hope this helps.
royalbeat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 16:47   #3348
BHPian

Hi All,

I made the trip from Pune to Varca, Goa on 2nd August and returned on the 7th. Halted at Belgaum the night of 2nd August.

Pune Satara stretch is decent with several potholes. Dont cross 100 kmph as all of a sudden a pot hole makes its presence felt. Satara to Kolhapur was nice. Minimal potholes but its a 4 lane highway upto Kagal.

Crossed Kolhapur and the Panchanga bridge without any hassle as the water has receded to its original level and the trees were coated with mud.

Matter of fact, the erstwhile smooth kolhapur belgaum patch was riddled with plenty of potholes.

At the Kognoli checkpost was asked for negative rt-pcr. Showed it to the cops. They mainly check the date and the negative stamp. Asked us the number of people travelling. We were 6 of us in 2 cars. We told them we were heading for Goa. They let us through.

Just before entering Belgaum, another checkpost. We were stopped as ours was an MH registered vehicle. Cops asked if were fully vaccinated. We weren't. We again showed the soft copy of the rt-pcr. The dates and negative stamp was checked and we were let through.

Next morning started for Varca via khanapur, anmod ghat, mollem route. Until khanapur the road is decent. After khanapur there is a 2km stretch with is rough. Subsequently there is another 3 km stretch which is riddled with potholes. Barring these 2 patches the ghat road in Karnataka is smooth and solid all the way to the top. As one ascends it pours and gets foggy. Tons of greenery. Simply outstanding. As one crosses into Goa the roads get awesome. Tar road. Without a single crack or pot hole. Butter. Welcome to Goa.

Mollem check post is strict. For entering one definitely needs to show a negative RT-PCR report. Additionally, one needs to fill up a form which includes information such as - name, cell phone number, name of the lab, area of visit in Goa.... So on. We did all this and were let through. If one doesn't have a negative RT-PCR report one needs to take a RAT rapid antigen test at 220 bucks a pop. There is another line for that.

Our hotel in Goa asked for the rt-pcr report for all the guests and kept a copy for their record. Goa is simply amazing in monsoons.

Surprisingly, we weren't asked for any rt-pcr report anywhere on the 7th of August. We took the same route. Varca - mollem - Anmod ghat - khanapur - belgaum - Kolhapur - Satara - Pune.

We were briefly stopped while entering Karnataka from Anmod but the cops were looking for liquor and not rt-pcr.

Entering Maharashtra we were surprised not to find any checkpost. So all in all smooth travels.

Note - Amboli ghat seems an attractive option but the road is riddled with potholes. Entering goa is messy with many diversions.

Chorla ghat gets crowded as trucks and buses are allowed to ply. But the road is much better than amboli.

Anmod sees very less traffic. Roads are predominantly on the better side especially once you enter goa.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-img_20210807_081012.jpg  

Aloneatma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 13:09   #3349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloneatma View Post

Just before entering Belgaum, another checkpost. We were stopped as ours was an MH registered vehicle. Cops asked if were fully vaccinated. We weren't. We again showed the soft copy of the rt-pcr. The dates and negative stamp was checked and we were let through.

Mollem check post is strict. For entering one definitely needs to show a negative RT-PCR report. Additionally, one needs to fill up a form which includes information such as - name, cell phone number, name of the lab, area of visit in Goa.... So on. We did all this and were let through. If one doesn't have a negative RT-PCR report one needs to take a RAT rapid antigen test at 220 bucks a pop. There is another line for that.
If one has taken both vaccinations, is it mandatory to still have negative RT-PCR report while entering Belgaum / Goa? I have a trip planned mid-September with my wife and 6 year old. I assume kids don't have to undergo any test.
Old 26th August 2021, 13:14   #3350
BHPian

Yes, entry to Karnataka from Maharashtra or Kerala requires RT-PCR test done within 72 hours of arrival (the timestamp being the time of sample collection). Kids with more than 2 years need to have the test done.

Last edited by ccnarayanan : 26th August 2021 at 13:14. Reason: Forgot to mention a point
Old 26th August 2021, 19:32   #3351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccnarayanan View Post
Yes, entry to Karnataka from Maharashtra or Kerala requires RT-PCR test done within 72 hours of arrival (the timestamp being the time of sample collection). Kids with more than 2 years need to have the test done.
Does the same rule apply for entry to Goa from Maharashtra as well?
Old 26th August 2021, 19:37   #3352
BHPian

Yes, if you are transiting through Karnataka.
ccnarayanan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 00:42   #3353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2285 View Post
If one has taken both vaccinations, is it mandatory to still have negative RT-PCR report while entering Belgaum / Goa? I have a trip planned mid-September with my wife and 6 year old. I assume kids don't have to undergo any test.
If you are passing through Karnataka, an RT-PCR report is still mandatory. No issue with Goa though.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 07:59   #3354
BHPian

It's safer to carry a negative RT-PCR test as officials along the route in different states don't apply the same protocol, frustratingly so.

As of latest updates, Goa doesn't insist on rt-pcr reports provided one has taken both the vaccine jabs.

Karnataka has become stricter, especially looking out for travellers from Kerala and Maharashtra. So rt-pcr reports may be required.

Exiting goa into Maharashtra from the Patradevi checkpost near Banda could be tricky as its a big checkpost. Its notorious for seizing liquor from travellers so the priority may not be rt-pcr.

Having said that, one a good day officials let you through without as much as a cursory look. But on the flip side they could make your life miserable.

So to ensure you have a stress free travel, I would recommend carrying a negative RT-PCR report. The times we are in, rules change abruptly and the last thing one needs on a road trip is getting stranded.
Aloneatma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 09:49   #3355

Hi all,
I would like to express my thanks to all of you in this thread who have posted so many updates and tips.

We traveled from Pune to Vengurla, Sindhudurg on Wednesday, 25th August via the Satara - Kolhapur - Nipani - Ajara - Amboli route. The travelers were my parents, my wife, myself and my 12 year old daughter. All adults are fully vaccinated back in May and July. In reading about the RT-PCR check at the Kognoli toll we did one for our daughter. I had read a post on the Pune-Bangalore thread that a full vaccination certificate is also accepted.
In case, we were not allowed to continue, we were ready to take the Kagal - Gorambe - Hamidwada route to Uttur as suggested in this forum in March of this year. The condition of the roads after the recent floods was the only unknown.

Pune Satara
We started from Wakad at 6:15 am. I took it slow through the bypass as there are some big potholes and kept enough gap between the vehicle ahead. The same strategy worked till Satara and resisted the urge to speed up during any smooth stretches I stuck to the middle lane which seemed to be better than the fast lane. We managed to cross Satara without any issue. Took a breakfast halt at Hotel Manas/ Banana Leaf.

Satara Kolhapur
This stretch was very smooth and a big relief after the tense first stretch. Thankfully there were no tractors or bullock carts with sugarcane this time. There were quite a few two wheelers on the highway near the big towns which forced the trucks to the fast lane. Satara to Kognoli was covered in 2 hours. All toll booths till here were almost empty and luckily all vehicles ahead of us had a fastag.

Kognoli toll
Finally the moment of truth. There were only 5-6 vehicles ahead of us. We showed our single RT- PCR and the vaccination certificates. Upon learning that our final destination was Maharashtra, I was asked for my Aadhar card. We were waved through.

Nipani Ajara Amboli
The road through Uttur Ajara is still good. We picked up some lunch to go at Phadkewada on the way. The road till Amboli is not as smooth as it was last year but that's due to the rains perhaps. The road through Amboli ghat was very good. We reached Vengurla at 3:30 pm.
Rustom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 09:40   #3356
BHPian

A friend did Goa-Navi Mumbai two days ago and Navi Mumbai-Goa yesterday. He took the Amboli ghat route both ways (Kolhapur-Nippani-Amboli-Mapusa).

He said no one stopped him anywhere while exiting Goa. No demand for any reports or any unnecessary stoppage. Could partly be because he was travelling a GA plate vehicle.

While returning, he was asked for RTPCR at Karnataka border.

He told me the roads are alright for the most part and his observations were the same as those in @Rustom’s post (#3355). He did say that he encountered some truck traffic in parts of Maharashtra and in particular he didn’t enjoy the Pune-Satara stretch both ways.

I have a couple questions for regulars on this route. We’re going to Goa by road in the first or second week of September. Will probably leave between 3 and 6 September. Is there any way to avoid an RTPCR test for fully vaccinated individuals? My entire family has taken both doses and we’re hearing that Goa allows fully vaccinated people to enter without RTPCR. Is this true?

If so, is avoiding Karnataka possible or advisable? Google Maps does show a route where this could be done: Kolhapur-Parite-Adamapur-Gargoti-Ajra. Does anyone know if taking that route is a good idea?

Just to clarify: we’re not against taking RTPCR, but wanted to check once if it can be avoided before taking the test.

Final query: which is the best route if we decide to go through Karnataka towards Ponda in Goa? Amboli, Chorla, or Anmod? There’s no network in Chorla and the last time we went through that, it was a bit scary for that reason. I’m a bit apprehensive about tackling the same thing in the monsoon.

PS: We’re travelling from Mumbai and may not be able to take a halt during the onward journey.
Crow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 08:02   #3357

Thanks you, what a wonderful summary. This will be useful for us to travel to South Goa over the weekend. So all in all, my take is to go to Belgaum and then take the Anmod route, rather than Amboli. Thanks!
Old 31st August 2021, 08:45   #3358
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post

I have a couple questions for regulars on this route. We’re going to Goa by road in the first or second week of September. Will probably leave between 3 and 6 September. Is there any way to avoid an RTPCR test for fully vaccinated individuals? My entire family has taken both doses and we’re hearing that Goa allows fully vaccinated people to enter without RTPCR. Is this true?
It is clearly an unknown. Most people I know managed to get away with just a double vaccine certificate. Kognoli toll is where you'll encounter a checkpost. I'd suggest you take the safer route and get a test done. Who knows how bad the mood of the individual at the border checkpost is. Sometimes they'll let you through but if they choose to trouble you, they very well will ruin your mood for the trip.

Quote:
If so, is avoiding Karnataka possible or advisable? Google Maps does show a route where this could be done: Kolhapur-Parite-Adamapur-Gargoti-Ajra. Does anyone know if taking that route is a good idea?
It takes longer but that bypass is not the end of it. I've seen vans stationed between Uttur and Ajara where the road meets KA in some parts.

Quote:
Final query: which is the best route if we decide to go through Karnataka towards Ponda in Goa? Amboli, Chorla, or Anmod? There’s no network in Chorla and the last time we went through that, it was a bit scary for that reason. I’m a bit apprehensive about tackling the same thing in the monsoon.
Best route would be Pune - Kolhapur - Belgaum - Khanapur - Bhimgad - Anmod ghat - Usgaon - Ponda. Be careful between Khanapur and Anmod ghat. The road passes through a forest and is a single laned road with two way traffic. Last I passed this one there was a 7-8 km bad patch. Rest was good.
moralfibre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 10:54   #3359

Greetings friends, we are driving to Mobor, Cavellosim, South Goa this weekend. We had driven to Goa last year and certain sections of the drive left much to be desired. Last year we hit Mumbai - Pune - Belgaum - Amboli Ghat - North Goa - South Goa (I think it was Amboli Ghat, it was pretty rough, with us navigating craters along the mountain road. The route was very scenic, meandering through the mountain, but the road was pure hell.).

While coming back, we took another route from South Goa to Belgaum, it was through a wildlife sanctuary, a check-post where they were checking for liquor. The drive was pretty smooth for the most part, barring a couple of kms of rough patches. I am wondering if this route was Anmod Ghat. I would like to take this route back.

A couple of posts earlier, somebody mentioned Belgaum - Khanapur - Anmod - Mollem - South Goa. Perhaps this was the nice route we took back to Mumbai from Goa last year. Can somebody enlighten me. Much appreciated!
Old 31st August 2021, 12:15   #3360
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by preet.sidharth View Post
The route was very scenic, meandering through the mountain, but the road was pure hell.[/i]).
Has to be either Chorla or Tilari ghat. Can't be Amboli.

Quote:
While coming back, we took another route from South Goa to Belgaum, it was through a wildlife sanctuary, a check-post where they were checking for liquor. The drive was pretty smooth for the most part, barring a couple of kms of rough patches. I am wondering if this route was Anmod Ghat. I would like to take this route back.
It has to be the route below:

Quote:
A couple of posts earlier, somebody mentioned Belgaum - Khanapur - Anmod - Mollem - South Goa. Perhaps this was the nice route we took back to Mumbai from Goa last year. Can somebody enlighten me. Much appreciated!
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed