Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2021, 13:09   #3361
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

After much anticipation the trip is complete! Drove total of 2500 Kms home to home. We took a halt in Lonavala while going to Goa (Vagator) and total journey from Ahmedabad took us around 20 hours over 1100 kms. I took the route via Nipani-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Goa. Only the patch after Amboli ghat road till we reached our hotel in Vagator was not in good shape. Roads in Ajra, Uttur were rough but drivable with acceptable amount of smooth patches. Even roads everywhere within Goa is quite bad / non-existent. At least on the main roads.

We were asked for RTPCR reports once after Nipani at KA border and once before we entered Goa. While exiting Goa, again on the Goa-MH border the negative RTPCR or Rapid test is compulsory. Luckily we had done it before leaving from Goa, else they do a mandatory test at the border itself. Other than that we were not asked for RTPCR reports anywhere till I reached back home in Ahmedabad.

One thing did bother me that whenever the cops see a car from other state, they will definitely stop you and ask for routine PUC / Insurance for your car. They punch the number in the Vahan app and show you the details of your car including insurance validity. Some how weirdly my insurance is showing as expired in the app, but I had the soft copy of my active policy to show them. This exercise happened at least 4 times onwards Goa in Satara, Kolhapur, Nipani and near Morjim. Surprisingly while on the way back, I was stopped absolutely no where.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 18:10   #3362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post

We were asked for RTPCR reports once after Nipani at KA border and once before we entered Goa. While exiting Goa, again on the Goa-MH border the negative RTPCR or Rapid test is compulsory. Luckily we had done it before leaving from Goa, else they do a mandatory test at the border itself. Other than that we were not asked for RTPCR reports anywhere till I reached back home in Ahmedabad.
While exiting Goa, you said RTPCR or Rapid Test is compulsory. What if you had both vaccination certificates? Is RTPCR or Rapid Test still required?
Old 1st September 2021, 18:51   #3363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2285 View Post
While exiting Goa, you said RTPCR or Rapid Test is compulsory. What if you had both vaccination certificates? Is RTPCR or Rapid Test still required?
I am pretty confident they specifically asked for RTPCR or RAT. Its best to carry the self test kits with you and do the test a day before leaving from Goa. I got the test done through a private lab and they charged me an exorbitant 1500₹ per test. A bit of haggling and they might let you off with your double vaccination certificate with at least 14 days completed from the second dose. But I would not risk it especially if you plan to leave late in the day. I left at 6 am and there were hardly 4-5 cars along with me at the border.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 18:56   #3364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Its best to carry the self test kits with you and do the test a day before leaving from Goa.
Apologies for lack of knowledge on this topic. How will self test kits help, if they want to see a negative report. The report will have to be from a lab right.
Old 3rd September 2021, 12:10   #3365
BHPian

Have done this route 10+ times (roughly every year, while driving to my native place in Devgad).

Some learnings.

1. While starting from Mumbai, try to cross Pune before 9 am, to avoid Office hour traffic. Break at Talegaon toll, to space out further breaks. it should take about 1.5- 2 hrs to go to cross Talegaon

2. I struggle to find good restaurants on Satara-Kolhapur Stretch, end up in one of Kamat's. Any recommendations are welcome

3. Some Stretch between Pune Kolhapur has 2 lanes each side, overtaking trucks from left is common, while experiencing two wheelers and tractors on the left most lane. Be prepared for this pain.

4. Taking Nipani/ Belgaum route saves pain of crossing through the Kolhapur city, If you plan to take Gaganbawda or Radhanagri ensure you cross Kolhapur NOT during office travel hours, two wheelers will make your life miserable . If you have time at hand, meal at Dehati is recommended.

5. When you travel from Kolhapur towards Gaganbawda, surprise awaits, a huge valley opens in front from nowhere and then a beautiful ghat with twists and turns. I know I have spoilt the surprise for many first time drivers.

6. Try different routes if you are driving multiple time. Gaganbawda, Radhanagari, Chorla Ghat, all ghats connecting Pune Bangalore and NH66 are a trip in itself. Since Rajapur to Goa on NH66 is toll road 4 lane, difference in time will be small but worth enjoying different ride

7. Load your car audio with good music - Have fond memories of these drives, and every stretch has different fun...We have fond memories of fun drive @130+ (when we didnt have kids) to having cranky kid toilet breaks and settling for a leisurely drive.

I am planning one end of this year, will post an update (Hopefully with my new car)

Last edited by vinitbarve : 3rd September 2021 at 12:14.
vinitbarve is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 22:48   #3366
BHPian

So surprise surprise, I crossed the KA border at Kognoli toll today and they didn’t ask for any reports. Just checked where I was headed and when I said Goa they let me go without checking any documents. I had the vaccination certificate and RTPCR with me. This could be because it was raining or the cops had a change of directive, I don’t know. Just sad that I lost 30 minutes waiting along with a long line of cars for nothing.

Also, trucks aren’t being stopped for RTPCR at that checking point as of today.

In other news, I took the Mumbai-Pune-Satara-Kolhapur-Nipani-Ajra-Amboli-Colvale route.

Pune to Satara was average. Too much traffic and the first few kms have alloy-breaker craters in the fast lane. Traffic cleared up post Satara and I enjoyed the drive till Kolhapur. As usual the Kolhapur cops were stopping cars randomly. Saw about 15 cars stopped there but luckily they didn’t stop me so I saved some time there.

As mentioned above, lost half an hour at Kognoli toll. From there it was smooth sailing till Nipani and I got mostly good roads till Ajra.

Ajra to Amboli is a bit of a disaster with broken roads and lots of spots with water logging in potholes. Amboli ghat has good roads though and I encountered fog along the way. Could barely see 10-15 metres ahead for about 30-45 minutes on twisty roads. It was a breathtaking drive.

Post Amboli though I encountered the most pathetic roads of the entire trip. Goan roads are usually excellent but right now Amboli to Colvale is in terrible shape. We were heading to Ponda so we took an internal road from Colvale (via Bicholim and Sanquelim), which was good. The main road via Mapusa and Panaji isn’t in great shape and has lots of traffic snarls according to locals.

PS: I was stopped for a Covid document check at the Goa-MH border. Double vaccination proof along with ID is good enough. No need for RTPCR if you’re fully vaccinated (14 days after second dose).
Crow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 00:57   #3367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
So surprise surprise, I crossed the KA border at Kognoli toll today and they didn’t ask for any reports. Just checked where I was headed and when I said Goa they let me go without checking any documents. I had the vaccination certificate and RTPCR with me. This could be because it was raining or the cops had a change of directive, I don’t know. Just sad that I lost 30 minutes waiting along with a long line of cars for nothing.

Also, trucks aren’t being stopped for RTPCR at that checking point as of today.
This is so good to hear. I am leaving on the 10th from Mumbai to Goa via Belgaum-Anmod-Mollem. We are fully vaccinated and hope that they allow us with vaccination certificates only since we are heading towards Goa. We are travelling with a 6 year old and will get her RTPCR done. Me and my wife will carry vaccination certificates. Hope we have a smooth entry too.
Old 6th September 2021, 12:09   #3368
BHPian

So an update. I drove back from Goa (Miramar) to Mumbai yesterday. Took the Miramar-Saquelim-Chorla-Belgaum-Nipani-Kolhapur-Pune-Mumbai route. I had taken the same route in the opposite direction while traveling from Mumbai to Goa. The roads are in excellent condition, barring few potholes.
Did the entire journey in 13 hours, including 1.5 hours of total stoppages for my dog.
While entering Karnataka, I was asked for RTPCR negative report but when I told them about complete vaccination for me and my wife (14+ days for both of us being completely vaccinated), they didn't push for the RTPCR report. However, they checked our vaccination certificates. It was super smooth. No one stopped us while entering Maharashtra. I didn't see any check-point also.

Overall my Goa trip was the usual thing except that a stone or something pierced through one of my tyres and it had to be replaced. In case anyone wants any help with tyres in Goa, I would recommend Sini Tyre Care, Porvorim. They have a great inventory, knowledgeable workers and all the equipment required. I have no affiliation with Sini Tyre Care. Just helping fellow BHPians for their tyre needs in North Goa.
royalbeat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 13:21   #3369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalbeat View Post
So an update. I drove back from Goa (Miramar) to Mumbai yesterday. Took the Miramar-Saquelim-Chorla-Belgaum-Nipani-Kolhapur-Pune-Mumbai route. I had taken the same route in the opposite direction while traveling from Mumbai to Goa. The roads are in excellent condition, barring few potholes.
I am leaving on 10th September from Mumbai and still confused whether to go through Anmod or Chorla? I have never travelled through Anmod before. Did you come across craters in Chorla? I have had a flat tyre couple of years back owing to that and hence, was planning to take Anmod.

However, suggestions will be valuable.
Old 6th September 2021, 13:55   #3370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2285 View Post
I am leaving on 10th September from Mumbai and still confused whether to go through Anmod or Chorla? I have never travelled through Anmod before. Did you come across craters in Chorla? I have had a flat tyre couple of years back owing to that and hence, was planning to take Anmod.

However, suggestions will be valuable.
I did not come across any craters on the Chorla route. Roads were mostly well paved and maintained. There were a few potholes but nothing major.
royalbeat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 20:13   #3371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbarve View Post
Have done this route 10+ times (roughly every year, while driving to my native place in Devgad).

2. I struggle to find good restaurants on Satara-Kolhapur Stretch, end up in one of Kamat's. Any recommendations are welcome
Try these eateries -

Going from Pune to Kolhapur -

Abhiruchi near Mahabaleshwar exit, Surur

Virangula between Bhuinj and Pachwad

Sangam/ Pankaj at Karad just as you reach the junction.

Sai International - After Peth Naka approx 200 km from Pune.

On the way back Aamrai just before Satara and Manas, Pranjali on the Satara bypass.

Aaram at Vele before Khambataki tunnel.

In Kolhapur - as you said Dehati also Opal, Orient Crown, Padma Guest house, Rasika Garden. In the evening Shetkari while coming from Gananbawda. There is a place in Rajarampuri that gives you excellent sandwitches but I dont remember the name. In addition Phadtare misal is worth trying.

ST Canteen at Gaganbawda is also surprisingly good.

Last edited by CANPUSH : 7th September 2021 at 20:17. Reason: Some additions made
CANPUSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 20:37   #3372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalbeat View Post
Did the entire journey in 13 hours, including 1.5 hours of total stoppages for my dog.
While entering Karnataka, I was asked for RTPCR negative report but when I told them about complete vaccination for me and my wife (14+ days for both of us being completely vaccinated), they didn't push for the RTPCR report. However, they checked our vaccination certificates. It was super smooth. No one stopped us while entering Maharashtra. I didn't see any check-point also.

I am planning to travel on Sept 15th, I will follow the same route based on your experience.

Do you, or any one have any suggestion for good restaurant, after Kolhapur, for Lunch?
Old 8th September 2021, 07:25   #3373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJAXN View Post
I am planning to travel on Sept 15th, I will follow the same route based on your experience.

Do you, or any one have any suggestion for good restaurant, after Kolhapur, for Lunch?
You can stop at Hotel Amar after crossing Nipani. Food is fresh and decent. They have recently renovated the place and I did not stop here during my recent trip so cannot say about washrooms.

Or, you can stop at Sai Fast Food, Yelur. This is 25 odd kms before Kolhapur. Here also you’ll get fresh hygienic food, clean washrooms and ample parking. This is the place I stopped at during my trip so I can vouch for all this.

However, both these places are veg only.
royalbeat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 00:53   #3374
BHPian

I am planning to travel to Goa from Bangalore via Chorla or Anmod, on the 15th or 16th of September along with my parents. All of us are fully vaccinated so I hope there won't be any issues at the Goa border. We plan to drive on to Mumbai after a day in Goa, so I wanted to know what are the border restrictions at MH-Goa border. Do they require RT-PCR reports compulsorily, or is a vaccination certificate accepted(both doses)?

Also, I read at least 2 instances above of the cops on KA side at MH-KA border letting people through with just the vaccination certificate. If anyone else can confirm this that would be great (for our return journey).
Old 9th September 2021, 09:29   #3375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJAXN View Post

In Kolhapur, Just One KM inside you have Waman's Orient Crown. Very good Veg and Non-veg food. Another KM ahead turn left at Tararani Statue junction and you have Dehati and Opal on left hand side. Both famous for Non-Veg food. You can take the same road ahead from Dehati/Opal to join highway.

If you are taking Chorla route, in Belgaum you have Ramdev and Sanman Deluxe on route. Both offer good Veg food.

If going via Amboli route at highway exit both hotels are ok. Ahead in Ajara Minerva is good. After getting down Amboli ghat as you enter Sawantwadi on left had side Mahalakshmi (Better known as Raju Bhalekar khanaval) is good for fish.

These are in addition to Sai international and Amar suggested above.

Enjoy your trip.
CANPUSH is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks