Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2020, 16:48   #2971
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musaafir View Post
Hello,

Request update on route from Belgaum to Chorla ghat (beginning), and Belgaum to Anmod ghat (beginning) roads? Would be travelling through them mid next week. Thanks in advance.
Below is my update on both the roads viz. Belgaum--Chorla and Belgaum--Amboli as of January 2020.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Last week I drove my VW Polo from Belgaum to Candolim beach and back. It was a one day picnic with my friends. Started at 11 a.m from Belgaum and was back at 12 a.m midnight.

# Onward used the Chorla route :- Pleased to report that the entire route is excellent. All the potholes in the Karnataka section have been nicely patched up. The patch work is really very neat !!!

# Once into Goa, the potholes on the Chorla Ghat per se have also been filled up. The patch work is not as standard as Karnataka, however, the entire 17.5 kms of ghat section is in a good condition now.

# I took the Sanquelim--Amona--Marcel--Banastarim junction--Old Goa--Panjim--Reis Magos--Candolim route. Nothing significant to report here, the roads in Goa are good, though typically narrow as they always have been.

# On the way back, I took the Amboli ghat route to Belgaum >>> Candolim--Mapusa--Sawantwadi--Amboli ghat--Chandgad--Belgaum. Fuelled up at Mapusa and did a full tank, obviously

# I started from Candolim at 8pm in the night, hence faced less traffic on the Mapusa--Sawantwadi route. Although the highway is under construction with diversions, the road conditions are good. 4 laned NH17 in Maharashtra is a bliss.

# Amboli ghat is in excellent super smooth condition.

# Amboli to MH--KA border till Shinoli is also a nice smooth road. The last 10 kms of road in Karnataka is bad and ridden with potholes.
NOTE : Sorry, I misread Anmod ghat as Amboli ghat in your query. I have not driven of late on Anmod ghat. Hope BHPian @Ertigiat helps you on this one.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 22nd February 2020 at 17:29. Reason: As requested
Old 24th February 2020, 10:07   #2972
BHPian

Will be driving to South Goa (Varca beach) next week in my Vento. Chorla is my preferred route for South Goa, but Google Maps shows an alternate route through Anmod ghat which I have not tried before and is 30 mins quicker (per Google) than Chorla. Looking for suggestions on the route. We are regular travellers to Konkan via Tamhini and Bhor ghats, so bad roads do not faze us! TIA.
Old 24th February 2020, 16:19   #2973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musaafir View Post
Hello,

Request update on route from Belgaum to Chorla ghat (beginning), and Belgaum to Anmod ghat (beginning) roads? Would be travelling through them mid next week. Thanks in advance.
Sir, what is your destination in Goa? If your destination is North Goa then do not bother to use Anmod ghat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogidada View Post
Will be driving to South Goa (Varca beach) next week in my Vento. Chorla is my preferred route for South Goa, but Google Maps shows an alternate route through Anmod ghat which I have not tried before and is 30 mins quicker (per Google) than Chorla. Looking for suggestions on the route. We are regular travellers to Konkan via Tamhini and Bhor ghats, so bad roads do not faze us! TIA.
Anmod route is definitely faster compared to Chorla because of lesser heavy vehicular traffic and newly laid roads in Anmod ghat within Karnataka border. Roads are absolutely in fine conditions post Belgaum till Varca. Please follow these directions to reach Varca.

Road conditions within Belgaum are in shambles. Please follow directions (Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries) given by BHPian @Vivek95.
Ertigiat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 16:31   #2974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayakumarkp View Post
Here you go. But it's from Candolim to Pune though.
Came back from Panjim yesterday and unintentionally happened to follow this exact route on the way back! I was intending to try this but since wife was navigating, I let her chart the course. Only one exception here that I went from Gadhinglaj to Sankeshwar instead of going towards Nipani. This route is very beautiful and leads through a very steep ghat, very dense forest and some extremely scenic and totally empty roads. Thanks for the detailed route!

However, I would like to add a word of caution for benefit of fellow members. Tilari ghat is far more steep than Amboli and oncoming traffic can be a bit bothersome since bends are pretty narrow with very little runoff. Amboli is far more gentle in case one is not adventurous.
ksameer1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 19:05   #2975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Came back from Panjim yesterday and unintentionally happened to follow this exact route on the way back! I was intending to try this but since wife was navigating, I let her chart the course. Only one exception here that I went from Gadhinglaj to Sankeshwar instead of going towards Nipani. This route is very beautiful and leads through a very steep ghat, very dense forest and some extremely scenic and totally empty roads.
Google maps has updated very quickly. Ever since Tilari route has been officially opened for traffic, Google maps is suggesting Tilari route as a default option from Belgaum to North Goa i. e Mapusa or anything North of Panjim. For Panjim specifically, Gmaps suggests the Chorla route. Pretty smart I would say, because in real world too, Tilari is the shortest distance between Belgaum and Mapusa while Chorla is the shortest for Panjim.
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 01:02   #2976

Hi,

I am travelling from Pune to Pallolem on 15th March with my family (wife and 18 month old) please suggest the best route. This is the first time I am going to south Goa.

Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 16:47   #2977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0912 View Post
Hi,
from Pune to Pallolem on
Take Belgaum Chorla route. Use *fort road* to pass through Belgaum.

-BJ
bj96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 17:22   #2978

Thanks BJ96,

I also explored Gmaps and it is showing me a different route altogether. I have to take a right at the Y junction just after Belgaum for Chorla but Gmaps is suggesting to take left (looks like Anmod Ghat). Is this road not good to go?
If I take Chorla it is showing about 60 minutes additional.
Old 28th February 2020, 09:27   #2979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0912 View Post

I am travelling from Pune to Pallolem on 15th March with my family (wife and 18 month old) please suggest the best route. This is the first time I am going to south Goa.
Suggested route is Pune - Belgaum - Bhimgad - Anmod - Sanvordem - Bali - Palolem.

Since you are travelling with 18 month old baby I suggest a halt at Belgaum.

Start leisurely from Pune (may around 8AM) and reach Belgaum by 2.30 PM (I am considering ample time because baby being on board).

You can stay at Fairfield Hotel or if you want something within the city then recommended hotel will be Hotel Eefa.

Next day start early from Belgaum (By 6AM) reach Palolem by 10.30AM.

In case you already have decided to complete the journey in single go then ensure you cross Belgaum before 5 PM as road through Bhimgad wildlife sanctuary is open only between 6AM to 6PM. In fact it would lot better if you cross Sanvordem before Sunset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Take Belgaum Chorla route. Use *fort road* to pass through Belgaum.
Since his destination is (South of) South Goa and it doesn't make sense to take Chorla route.

It is an absolute "No-No" to take this route. The road passes through (sort of ) Old Belagavi and is crowded throughout the day.

Last edited by Ertigiat : 28th February 2020 at 09:36.
Ertigiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 15:50   #2980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
Since his destination is (South of) South Goa and it doesn't make sense to take Chorla route.
My recommendation was based on two quick trips I did to Colva (1st week of Dec and Feb). Didn't find any significant issues in Chorla route other than Belgaum road construction. However it didn't impact my travel time much.

-BJ
Old 8th March 2020, 13:38   #2981
BHPian

I am travelling to Varca (South Goa) in the last week of March-2020 in my car. Starting from Pune, would be halting for the night at Kolhapur and then planning to take Belgaum - Chorla ghat route. From previous posts I saw that Belgaum is having road constructions going on at many places. I also found few suggestions were for Anmod Ghat as well.

Is there any route completely bypassing Belgaum and connecting to Chorla ghat? Has road construction activity somewhat reduced in Belgaum? I have never been via Anmod ghat?

Sorry for many queries, since I have senior citizens with me, would like a route with better conditions. Thanks in advance!
SSD2122 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 18:53   #2982
BHPian

Came back from my trip to South Goa on Thu. and used the Belgaum-Bhimgad-Anmod route for the first time. Left from Pune (Pashan) at 5:45 am and reached Varca at 2:00 PM. Karnataka section of Anmod ghat is a cement road so no issue there. Newbie drivers should take care of the road side edges though, since there is a 5-10 inch drop to the mud surface. Goa section of the Anmod ghat well paved as well. The Google map link (https://goo.gl/maps/HhsDuMKV56u1J1VbA) posted by Ertigiat a few posts earlier was very useful and helped bypass Belgaum city traffic completely. There is major road widening work going on between Belgaum and Khanapur, but that did not hinder progress on this section.

Warning - Goa police has set up speed guns approx 2-3 kms after the (now defunct) Goa entry toll gates. Posted speed limit is 60 KMPH, and I was photographed doing 76 kmph. The friendly police guy said they allow upto 70 kmph, but anything over that is a no no. Was fined 300 Rs.

Was not so lucky on the trip back since there was heavy traffic in Belgaum city in the afternoon due to diversions. Left Varca at 9:15 and reached home at 6:00 PM.

Bhimgad-Anmod would be my pick over the Chorla route for South Goa.

Last edited by ampere : 9th March 2020 at 07:03. Reason: typo fixed
jogidada is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 22:05   #2983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD2122 View Post
I am travelling to Varca (South Goa) in the last week of March-2020 in my car. Starting from Pune, would be halting for the night at Kolhapur and then planning to take Belgaum - Chorla ghat route. From previous posts I saw that Belgaum is having road constructions going on at many places. I also found few suggestions were for Anmod Ghat as well.

Is there any route completely bypassing Belgaum and connecting to Chorla ghat? Has road construction activity somewhat reduced in Belgaum? I have never been via Anmod ghat?
The road construction activity in my hometown Belgaum has only increased and spread across almost every area of the city. Please check my posts in the last two pages where in I have shared the route directions to navigate through Belgaum city and hit the Chorla road.

For Varca, Anmod ghat route is anyday the most recommended. Use Belgaum--Khanapur--Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary--Anmod ghat--Mollem--Ponda--Madgaon--Varca. The post above by a fellow BHPian has a recent update on this one. There is a direct road between Ponda and Madgaon. Be careful while driving through Khanapur--Bhimgad WLS--Anmod route as its very narrow and one needs to get off the road when there is an oncoming bus or truck. Anmod ghat is broader than Chorla anyday. No food or washroom options after Belgaum until you hit Doodhsagar spa resort at Mollem down the Anmod ghat.
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 18:06   #2984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD2122 View Post
I am travelling to Varca (South Goa) in the last week of March-2020 in my car. Starting from Pune, would be halting for the night at Kolhapur.
Please take this route.

Try to depart from Kolhapur as early as possible. If you start from Kolhapur at around 6 AM then you can drive through Belgaum city with ease. But in case you plan to leave from Kolhapur leisurely, please use above recommended route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Be careful while driving through Khanapur--Bhimgad WLS--Anmod route as its very narrow and one needs to get off the road when there is an oncoming bus or truck.
Now a days heavy vehicle traffic is prohibited (it always was), barring trucks assigned to forest department. But still drive patiently through these 30 kms as the road is narrow compared to regular state highway. You will also come across empty stretches where you will be tempted to cruise but ensure you do not exceed 60 KMPH. Just roll down windows and enjoy the beauty of nature.

All in all Anmod ghat route is recommended over Chorla ghat.
Ertigiat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 13:40   #2985
BHPian

@vivek95, @Ertigiat, thank you for responding quickly. I will check these out. I am leaving Kolhapur by 9:00am so it would be wise to go via anmod. Since I have never travelled via anmol earlier all the better to get to know a new route.
SSD2122 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks