Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2018, 09:51   #2446
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Caution:
Just read news about Luban storm and Goa beaches. Almost all beaches in Goa are under rising water. Goa tourism department has issued warning not to venture in the sea till 14th Oct. The shacks are also closed.
Check the details about this warning before proceeding toward Goa.
Very much true. The is all-over newspaper today.

Goa Beaches Vanish

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-goa-beaches-vanish.jpg

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-img_20181012_071209.jpg

Jellyfish on Salcete Beaches

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-jelly-fish-salcete-beaches.jpg

Safety advisory issues by Govt.

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-safety-advisory.jpg

Shacks Damaged at Calangute/Baga

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-shacks-calangute.jpg

One read news here also (please choose Goa edition - Page 2)

People travelling to Goa this weekend, be safe. Don't venture deep into sea unnecessarily.
Ertigiat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 15:28   #2447
BHPian

Hi everyone. I need some suggestions. Planning a solo drive from Delhi to Goa early November this year.

After Mumbai, I noted there are multiple routes to reach Goa, with NH 17 being one option and the Pune-Kolhapur-Belgaum route being the other and most popular option. I read through a lot of posts on the Forum about NH 17 being in bad shape but the scenic beauty being much better as compared to the standard highway through Pune-Kolhapur.

Can you please advise if NH 17 is more scenic that the other route? Also, what is the current status of NH 17 and is it fine to drive on this route? I would personally prefer a scenic drive if possible, but dont want to take NH17 if it has too many rough patches/traffic jams. Also, 1 day drive is preferable, but can stretch it over 2 days if NH17 is in decent state. I will be driving a Safari Dicor. TIA.
Old 12th October 2018, 16:24   #2448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravdebiswas View Post
Can you please advise if NH 17 is more scenic that the other route? Also, what is the current status of NH 17 and is it fine to drive on this route? I would personally prefer a scenic drive if possible, but dont want to take NH17 if it has too many rough patches/traffic jams.
1) NH 17 is more scenic than NH4.
2) Nh4 is four lane good road till Belgaum via Pune. Nh17 is 95% two lane road going via mahad_chiplun_sawantwadi.
No one except hard core offroader prefer NH17 over NH4 to go to goa from Mumbai. Some sections of NH17 are really bad. Avoid NH17.
Old 17th October 2018, 10:38   #2449
BHPian

Quote:
Caution:
Just read news about Luban storm and Goa beaches. Almost all beaches in Goa are under rising water. Goa tourism department has issued warning not to venture in the sea till 14th Oct. The shacks are also closed.
Check the details about this warning before proceeding toward Goa.
Thanks for the warning, is this still a problem? Planning to venture out to South Goa right after Diwali for a family vacation.

Also am heading to Colva, so I am guessing the best route is Belgaum-Chorla-Sinquerim, right? Please provide inputs forum.
Old 17th October 2018, 10:45   #2450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
Thanks for the warning, is this still a problem?

Also am heading to Colva, so I am guessing the best route is Belgaum-Chorla-Sinquerim, right? Please provide inputs forum.
1) The weather condition is normal currently, so no issue.
2) From Belgaum to colva, the correct route is Belgaum_ khanapur_ Anmod ghat_ Mollem_ Madgon_ colva. After khanapur, there are two routes to Anmod, one via londa/ramnagar and another via Bhimgad sanctuary. Opt for Bhimgad.
From mollem to Madgaon, there are two routes, one via ponda. But overbridge construction site just before Ponda is chaotic place where one will loose time in traffic jam. Google for another route from Mollem to madgaon.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 10:51   #2451
BHPian

Quote:
1) The weather condition is normal currently, so no issue.
2) From Belgaum to colva, the correct route is Belgaum_ khanapur_ Anmod ghat_ Mollem_ Madgon_ colva. After khanapur, there are two routes to Anmod, one via londa/ramnagar and another via Bhimgad sanctuary. Opt for Bhimgad.
From mollem to Madgaon, there are two routes, one via ponda. But overbridge construction site just before Ponda is chaotic place where one will loose time in traffic jam. Google for another route from Mollem to madgaon.
Thanks for the input Ashish, forgot to mention in my earlier post that I usually prefer good roads to shorter routes, as my kids are prone to motion sickness, and hate a bumpy ride. Would this still be your recommendation considering all of this? My experience with Chorla has been good so far, not sure what state it is in now though. Also I guess for Colva it may not be the shortest route, right?
Old 17th October 2018, 11:23   #2452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the input Ashish, forgot to mention in my earlier post that I usually prefer good roads to shorter routes, as my kids are prone to motion sickness, and hate a bumpy ride. Would this still be your recommendation considering all of this? My experience with Chorla has been good so far, not sure what state it is in now though. Also I guess for Colva it may not be the shortest route, right?
Just 10 days back, i travelled to colva via Anmod ghat and came back from Calangut via chorla ghat. Road condition of Anmod ghat is much better than Chorla ghat. Khanapur_bhimgad_ Anmod route is best in condition though narrow road. I am very sure that your kids will like the drive through forest of Bhimgad sanctuary. Three km of road section just After Belgaum toward khanapur is really bad and thats it.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 18:35   #2453
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the warning, is this still a problem? Planning to venture out to South Goa right after Diwali for a family vacation.
The effect has subdued & nothing to worry as of now.

Quote:
The reply is not regarding route but location. Have you done your bookings at Colva? If not then please pick nearby beaches for stay. During vacation time (especially during & after Diwali) this beach will be way too crowded.

Quote:
Just 10 days back, i travelled to colva via Anmod ghat and came back from Calangut via chorla ghat. Road condition of Anmod ghat is much better than Chorla ghat. Khanapur_bhimgad_ Anmod route is best in condition though narrow road. I am very sure that your kids will like the drive through forest of Bhimgad sanctuary. Three km of road section just After Belgaum toward khanapur is really bad and thats it.
I second suggestion given by Ashish. The best route to reach Colva from Mumbai/Pune is via Belgaum - Khanapur - Anmod - Margao - Colva. Route through Bhimgad wildlife Sanctuary is beautiful but tad narrower & might be a minor irritant for few drivers.

The other route is Khanapur - Ramnagar - Anmod (Since you mentioned you prefer good roads). This route is NH-4A, wider road where you can cruise at speed of 60-70 Kmph easily. Road widening work is going on between Belgaum & Khanapur. Though there aren't any diversions but you will be on a road which is without shoulders. Since the traffic will not be heavy, we tend to rush. Drive safe during that section.

Keep Driving.
Ertigiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 17:57   #2454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
The reply is not regarding route but location. Have you done your bookings at Colva? If not then please pick nearby beaches for stay. During vacation time (especially during & after Diwali) this beach will be way too crowded.

The other route is Khanapur - Ramnagar - Anmod (Since you mentioned you prefer good roads). This route is NH-4A, wider road where you can cruise at speed of 60-70 Kmph easily. Road widening work is going on between Belgaum & Khanapur. Though there aren't any diversions but you will be on a road which is without shoulders. Since the traffic will not be heavy, we tend to rush. Drive safe during that section.

Keep Driving.
Thanks for the inputs, we are around 3 kms from Colva, between Sernabatim and Benaulim, I hope this is OK.

I am tempted to try out this route you suggest, as we do love good roads, and I am normally a sedate driver, never touched Goa in less than 10 hours, sometimes 12 . I am just very scared of that area and going onto the wrong route, as have once had a horrible experience there when we took a wrong turn rather than Chorla (the first time), in my Santro, and had a night of terrible driving on completely broken roads for very very long stretches. So any concrete information about the route, where to take which turn, what to look for etc will be highly appreciated.
Old 19th October 2018, 10:29   #2455
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the inputs, we are around 3 kms from Colva, between Sernabatim and Benaulim, I hope this is OK.
Yes. The location is fairly good.

Quote:
I am tempted to try out this route you suggest, as we do love good roads, and I am normally a sedate driver, never touched Goa in less than 10 hours, sometimes 12 . I am just very scared of that area and going onto the wrong route, as have once had a horrible experience there when we took a wrong turn rather than Chorla (the first time), in my Santro, and had a night of terrible driving on completely broken roads for very very long stretches. So any concrete information about the route, where to take which turn, what to look for etc will be highly appreciated.
Please try this route. Route I have mentioned is National Highway. This route connects South Goa and North Karnataka. You will always find ample traffic even during late night.

Please follow Gmaps all the way till Khanapur. Online maps will recommend you road though Bhimgad wildlife Sanctuary but the road is open only between 6 AM to 6 PM. So instead of taking right turn after crossing Khanapur please continue on NH 748 (Erstwhile NH-4A) towards Ramnagar. Once you reach Ramnagar you will come across Junction, which will have roads leading towards Hubli, Dandeli & Goa. You have to take right turn from Junction towards Goa. Roads are good all the way till your destination barring few rough patches in Anmod ghat which are easily manageable if one is cautious.
Ertigiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 10:22   #2456
Team-BHP Support

Drove to Goa over the weekend. Took the Amboli route and regretted it big time. Although it took the same amount of time, the road is completely finished between Uttur and Amboli. Returned via Chorla and it was a delight especially because we started off early from Goa and didn't hit traffic around the small towns that you pass in Goa.
moralfibre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 12:46   #2457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am tempted to try out this route you suggest, as we do love good roads, and I am normally a sedate driver, never touched Goa in less than 10 hours, sometimes 12 . I am just very scared of that area and going onto the wrong route, as have once had a horrible experience there when we took a wrong turn
Feel free to take the right turn from Khanapur and go via Bhimgad. It is marked correctly on Gmaps.
There is no need to drive an extra 45 minutes through Ramnagar. Just ensure that you enter Bhimgad route by 5pm; you should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Drove to Goa over the weekend. Took the Amboli route and regretted it big time.
Seeing your preferred route in that state must be bad (no sad emoticon available). Which car/ bike was this in/ on?
If you are on bike, please try the Bhimgad route once. I sound like an unabashed advertisor of that route.
Disclaimer: I don't get any commission if anyone goes there
selfdrive is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 19:55   #2458
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Need suggestions. I will be driving to Goa (Candolim) starting on the 11th of Nov and I intend to take the Chorla route. The plan is to leave on the morning of 11th at around 10 am, take a night halt by around 8 pm and then proceed to Goa on the 12th. What is the best suggested night halt location (for family) considering the next day I would have to drive 2 or 3 hours max to reach Candolim?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 23rd October 2018 at 09:45. Reason: edited 10pm = 10am
Old 23rd October 2018, 00:01   #2459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S. View Post
Hi Guys,

Need suggestions. I will be driving to Goa (Candolim) starting on the 11th of Nov and I intend to take the Chorla route. The plan is to leave on the morning of 11th at around 10 am, take a night halt by around 8 pm and then proceed to Goa on the 12th. What is the best suggested night halt location (for family) considering the next day I would have to drive 2 or 3 hours max to reach Candolim?
Check out Hotel Sankam Residency Belgaum.
Candolim should be around 140kms from there.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 23rd October 2018 at 09:46. Reason: edited quoted post
kpzen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 00:13   #2460
BHPian

Taking Bhimgad route from Belgaum to Goa has an advantage of spotting some wildlife. I had encountered a jackal from very close when I was on a bike. I had to stop to let it cross and that guy in turned stopped and stared at me for a good few seconds but fleed the spot when I was about to click a pic with my phone camera.

Some people have seen Tigers and Leopards as well. Mind you, this is a Kali Tiger reserve ( Dandeli--Anshi--Chorla--Tilari--Amboli region is a protected Tiger reserve ). Good chance of spotting Elephants and bisons too. I was riding alone here in 2015 April and some sections of this forest route are too eerie. Those strange noises scared the hell out of me and I crossed the forest without stopping anywhere in between.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 23rd October 2018 at 09:47. Reason: edited for better readability & typo
vivek95 is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks