Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2019, 09:44   #2776
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Fly. For two reasons - for such a short visit, there would be too much time on the roads. And two, for south Goa, Dabolim airport is a lot more convenient than it is for North Goa destinations.
Thanks. The purpose is a reunion with colleagues so some of us were thinking to drive down hence time spent on road won't be an issue as long as we reach by 6pm on 11th. No doubts on the second point.

Still inclined to drive provided Belgavi - Anmod - Ponda route is driveable both ways.
Old 24th September 2019, 10:35   #2777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_myth View Post
Although this route bypassing Sawantwadi is the shortest route, I would suggest you avoid it after sunset and during heavy rains as it has deep potholes at may sections and chances of flooding.
While returning, last Sunday, took this road. There was no rains and ample sunshine throughout. Yes there are a couple of causeways that might be flooded during heavy rains. Road was mostly fine with only a few sections had rough top surface, big potholes were filled up with mud. I was in Safari, but saw some sedans and small hatches also taking this route .

-BJ
bj96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 13:57   #2778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umeshd View Post
Return Journey is on 13th (Sunday) so thinking of starting little late around 10-11am and reach by midnight in Mumbai to avoid traffic returning on weekend.
It will be utter chaos at Toll gates after Kolhapur if you start at 10-11 AM from Benaulim (on any Sunday).

You are likely to cross Kolhapur around 3.30 PM - 4 PM and traffic starts getting denser.

The traffic gets worse post Wai phata on Sunday evenings.

Quote:
Still inclined to drive provided Belgavi - Anmod - Ponda route is driveable both ways.
Anmod is closed for traffic. Update is posted (Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries).

Quote:
Fly. For two reasons - for such a short visit, there would be too much time on the roads. And two, for south Goa, Dabolim airport is a lot more convenient than it is for North Goa destinations.
I second this suggestion.

Take an afternoon flight on 11th October and late evening flight to Mumbai on 13th October.

This will allow you to enjoy Goa for little more time.
Ertigiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 15:33   #2779
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,...
If you want to drive to South Goa and distance is not an issue, I would suggest below route.

Quote:
Mumbai - Pune - Belgaum - Dandeli -- Karwar- Goa.
Its approx 100 km longer but trust me it worth the efforts. Also, in case you are running late, you can take Chorla ghat road.

I would suggest instead of staying in Pune 10th Evening, push to Kolhapur and stay at Sai international before Kolhapur. If you start at 7.00 AM from Pune, you will encounter heavy local two wheeler traffic between Satara and Kolhapur.
Who_are_you is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 07:39   #2780
Senior - BHPian

Here is an interesting/useful map of ghat options for the Maharashtra/Goa coastal accesses from NH4. There are some gaps - for instance at the top the Tamhini and Varandha Ghats are not identifiable as such because those places are not marked on the map. And at the bottom, Chorla/Tilari are missing. Even so, quite useful, picked up at Minerva Ajara, which is a very good stop if needed for either end. Plenty of parking, clean enough facilities and decent food.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-img_20190925_072431648.jpg  

Sawyer is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 09:00   #2781
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is an interesting/useful map of ghat options for the Maharashtra/Goa coastal accesses from NH4... Minerva Ajara, which is a very good stop...
Thanks for sharing. +1 for Minerva as a stop before/after Amboli. I found rates are reasonable and decently fast service. Over the years, have done all these NH4 <-> NH17 interconnects. However, there is a little inaccuracy in the coastal road between Vengurla and Panjim, indication of a ferry crossing (the bridge was not ready 4-5 years ago) on the Terekhol river is missing between Aronda and Arambol?

-BJ
Old 26th September 2019, 12:33   #2782
BHPian

Need help with stop overs.

Route: Chembur - Expressway - Pune - Kolhapur - Gagan Bawda - Kankavli

Time: Start as early as 06:00 am.

Driving Preference:
I like to drive continuously for 3 hours at an average speed of 55 kmph.

As of now, we start from Chembur and our first halt is at the food plaza post Talegaon Toll Naka. Good South Indian breakfast, coffee at Kailash Parbat outlet or some burger and coffee at McDonalds and they have ample car parking and clean toilets at the back. This generally takes 2.15 hours of driving.

Now if I wish to drive all the way and stop by only after going past Pune City to avoid morning city rush. Where can I get clean toilets, safe parking and good breakfast without taking any detour?

Post Pune halt, drive another 2.5 hours and same again suggest where can I get clean toilets, safe parking and good breakfast without taking any detour? Especially between Satara and Kolhapur.
Old 26th September 2019, 12:42   #2783
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
When is your travel? Given the incessant heavy rains, there has been a landslide near Katraj. You'll have to check if that has been cleared and normal flow restored.

https://punemirror.indiatimes.com/pu...w/71301249.cms

Quote:
On which day are you starting? If it's a weekday, anything post 8am is peak traffic. You'll be driving against traffic but the highway will be crowded nevertheless.

Quote:
Post Pune halt, drive another 2.5 hours and same again suggest where can I get clean toilets, safe parking and good breakfast without taking any detour? Especially between Satara and Kolhapur.
The Kolhapur McDonald's (about 15-20min before Kolhapur) is a favorite for people to take a food/toilet break. Chandani Chowk - this place would be about 3-3.5 hours depending on traffic.

The rains have been ruthless this year so check the condition of roads once you get off the highway.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 12:45   #2784

Quote:

We stop at Banana Leaf just before Satara. It is on the highway right next to Vithal Kamat. The food is great and the toilets are clean.
Rustom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 13:38   #2785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustom View Post
We stop at Banana Leaf just before Satara. It is on the highway right next to Vithal Kamat. The food is great and the toilets are clean.
Thank you. How much time it takes generally to reach Banana Leaf from say Talegaon Toll Plaza?

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
When is your travel?
I travel often but as you said due to incessant rains my next travel by road is only on the 29th October. Hopefully by then the rain God has had mercy on us and the roads are fixed as well.
Old 26th September 2019, 13:58   #2786

Quote:
Thank you. How much time it takes generally to reach Banana Leaf from say Talegaon Toll Plaza?
It takes me about 2 hours from Wakad when I leave by 6 am driving at 80. I would add 45 more minutes from Talegaon.
Old 26th September 2019, 14:05   #2787
BHPian

Quote:
Now if I wish to drive ....
Once you cross Katraj tunnel, there are plenty of restaurants and hotel right on the highway. Choose anyone based on your preference.

Quote:
Especially between Satara and Kolhapur.
Hotel Sai international is good place to stop before Kohlapur. It is approx 200 km from Pune.

Gmaps location
Who_are_you is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 14:41   #2788
BHPian

Quote:
Here is an interesting/useful map of ghat options for the Maharashtra/Goa coastal accesses from NH4. There are some gaps - for instance at the top the Tamhini and Varandha Ghats are not identifiable as such because those places are not marked on the map.
This is cool, I've been through most of them,

1. Tamhini
2. Varandha
3. Mahabaleshwar-Poladpur
4. Karad-Patan-Koynanagar-Chiplun
5. Umbraj-Amba-Ratnagiri
6. Kolhapur-Gaganbawda

7. Kolhapur-Radhanagri-Phondaghat
[Kolhapur -> Goa buses take this route. This is pending for me]

8. Nippani-Ajara-Amboli-Sawantwadi
[Preferred route for Goa]

Not ventured further South!

Drive/Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz
Old 26th September 2019, 14:50   #2789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Kolhapur-Radhanagri-Phondaghat
Is this route better than taking the Gagan Bawda to reach Kankavli? Gagan Bawda is in a dilapidated state is what I got to know. Then exit to Sawantwadi by Nippani is almost 2 hours more to reach Kankavli.
Old 27th September 2019, 16:17   #2790
BHPian

Quote:

Route: Chembur - Expressway - Pune - Kolhapur - Gagan Bawda - Kankavli

Driving Preference:
I like to drive continuously for 3 hours at an average speed of 55 kmph.

As of now, we start from Chembur and our first halt is at the food plaza post Talegaon Toll Naka. Good South Indian breakfast, coffee at Kailash Parbat outlet or some burger and coffee at McDonalds and they have ample car parking and clean toilets at the back. This generally takes 2.15 hours of driving.

Now if I wish to drive all the way and stop by only after going past Pune City to avoid morning city rush. Where can I get clean toilets, safe parking and good breakfast without taking any detour?

I have prepared sample itinerary for you. I feel there is no need to stop at least till Satara once you have breakfast at Talegoan Toll Plaza.

Start from Chembur - 6.00 AM
Talegoan Toll Plaza - 8.30 AM
Start from Talegaon Plaza - 9.15 AM
Lunch Break at Karad, Hotel Sangam - 12.30 PM
Start after Lunch - 1.15 PM

You will have an option of driving via
  • Kolhapur - Gagan bawada - Vaibhavwadi - Kankavali
  • Kagal - Nidhori - Radhanagari - Phondaghat - Kanakavali

Both route will require close to 4 - 4.30 hours from Karad. I would recommend route 2 as you will bypass Kolhapur city and will be on Kagal - Murgud road (off NH-4) quicker than getting through Kolhapur city traffic.

Last edited by Ertigiat : 27th September 2019 at 16:18.
Ertigiat is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks