Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2016, 15:42   #1786
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by --9-- View Post
[*]Roads in Maharashtra are in pretty bad shape. Between Pune and Kolhapur - almost 30% highway time was spent on diversions
[*]Nipani ghat road is in OK shape. Ghat itself is not at all difficult when compared with Tamhani or other famous ghats[/list]
So riding down for the India Bike Week fest on the 17th of feb is going to be a tough task for bikes.
When u say ok shape. Means its would be filled of uneven patches or potholes.
Old 10th February 2016, 16:13   #1787
Senior - BHPian

No, it is an excellent if boring road for bikers. Picking a good track for two inline wheels is very easily done, and you just want to be careful of all the usual hazards on our highways.

A part of the Amboli ghat is loosely surfaced; you want to be careful on those parts.
Old 14th February 2016, 18:56   #1788
BHPian

Coming back from South Goa to Pune. What is the preferred route?
I will be driving in a Polo GT. Looking for good road conditions. 20-30 extra kms is okay for me.

While driving to Goa we are going via Amboli.

Last edited by freedom : 14th February 2016 at 18:58.
Old 14th February 2016, 20:02   #1789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
I will be driving in a Polo GT. Looking for good road conditions. 20-30 extra kms is okay for me.

Take the Chorla ghat - Belgaum- Kolhapur-Pune route. You will definitely enjoy the ghat section in GT. Be careful about the road though, lot of blind turns in the ghat section. There are a lot of speed breakers in the ghat too.
Ketan T is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 17:55   #1790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post

I would recommend you a new route. South Goa - Mollem - Anmod Ghat - Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary - Khanapur - Belgaum - Pune. Drive till Anmod check post. Take immediate left after Anmod check post. You will be driving through wildlife sanctuary on almost newly laid tarmac. You will reach Khanapur within 30-35 minutes. This route cuts down distance between Belguam & Margao by almost 20 to 25 Kms. You will be allowed to take this route between 6 AM to 6 PM. No traffic is allowed after 6 PM. In case you are taking this route look out for speed breakers. You tend to cruise since it will almost have no traffic & if you don't follow signboards you are bound bang hard on one of these speed breakers. Drive safe.
Ertigiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2016, 21:12   #1791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
I would recommend you a new route. South Goa - Mollem - Anmod Ghat - Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary - Khanapur - Belgaum - Pune.

Thanks.
I took the chorla route on the way back.
Belgaon stretch of 10 km was chaotic and traffic prone even on a Sunday.
Khedshivapur to pune city was the most boring and traffic prone section :(
It took me 10 hrs 30 mins from Kankon, Goa to vadgao budruk bridge.
Chorla ghat was fun to drive.. GT scored full marks for acceleration and handling.
Old 1st March 2016, 10:44   #1792
BHPian

I had gone through the thread and followed the advice of taking Chorla Ghat. Trust me the Chorla Ghat- Belgaum- Pune road is simply superb. The quality of Chorla Ghat road is awesome. Not only it is beautiful and scenic there is not even a single pothole. I travelled on 26.12.2015 from Baga to Pune via above mentioned route. The other precaution to take is the hairpin turns on Chorla Ghat. Before starting of Chorla Ghat there is a petrol pump. If your fuel is on lower side then you can fill it and enjoy your ride. After crossing Belgaum and reaching NH4, you can easily cruise above 120. I agree with freedom. I started from Goa at 6am and had crossed Kolhapur by 9-9.30am. There is problem after Satara. It is obvious to get traffic in Belgaum. Important is to start early morning. I got least amount of traffic. I would suggest to take Goa-Chorla Ghat-Belgaum-Pune route.
Old 6th March 2016, 20:46   #1793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Regards,
SS
Hello Suzuki San! I'll be driving down to Goa from Mumbai on March 19th.

I was wondering, which is the better route, the NH 4 or the NH 66/17?

According to the internet, the NH 66 is more scenic but has winding turns and is slightly dangerous, while the NH 4 is far more safer. I would love to hear your inputs regarding this for a first time traveler.

I have traveled extensively between Mumbai and Pune via the expressway, if that helps.

Oh and, this is the first time I'll be driving such a long distance and out of state, so I had a few queries.

Is it safe to drive around in Goa with an out of state registered car, or should I just take the bus?

Any important things to be careful about in North and South Goa?

Any car thefts or scams that I should be careful about?

It'd be really great if you could help me out with this!
Old 6th March 2016, 23:22   #1794
BHPian

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Hi Alvord12! Though you have asked Suzuki San but would like to give some inputs. Take NH4. Ahead of Satara its just breeze. You can easily cover Mumbai-Pune in 1.45hrs and from Pune to Satara there is some work going on but wont pose a big problem. Once you cross Satara the road is awesome. You can cruise at 120+. You haven't mentioned you will be driving which car. If you are driving such long distance for the first time then I would recommend not to exhaust yourself. Take a break at Kolhapur. Try Hotel Pearl. Its good. Book it using Makemytrip. Proceed next day for Goa. For Goa you have two options Amboli and Chorla. Road to Goa via Chorla Ghat is extra 30kms but it is worth. For Goa via Chorla Ghat you have to drive till Belgaum and then take a right turn from Belgaum. The said route is easily available on Google Map. Google map wont show the Chorla Ghat route if you search from Mumbai. Try searching it from Sankeshwar to Baga.
Regarding other state car registration wont be a problem. I am having MH-14. I was not even stopped once and/or asked papers. No worries. Best would be to park your car in hotel parking and hire an activa for anything between Rs. 200-300/day. Right now season is not there, so bargain and get it for Rs. 200/-
North Or South.
North- North is for youngster and fun loving crowd. Lot many beaches are there.
South- South is more of a calm and serene part of Goa.
I had parked my car in the hotel parking so there was no worry of car theft. Just make sure you have booked a good hotel. Check Palmarinha Resort. Just network issue.
Trust me have a trip in your car to Goa. Your perspective of road trip will change forever.
Any more information you need then feel free.

Last edited by kabir3551 : 6th March 2016 at 23:31.
kabir3551 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 06:47   #1795
Senior - BHPian

Goa is a very safe place to drive, but you have to be careful of possibly drunk drivers late at night on narrow roads away from the main highways. I would be very careful driving a two wheeler on those roads, even more so late at night, for just that reason. I don't ever worry about things like car theft there. More worrisome is the loads of tourists, Indian and foreign, in/on self driven cars/scooters on narrow twisty roads closer to the beaches.
On the main highways there is more enforcement of things like helmets and speed limits - be careful to not exceed the posted 40 limit along with no overtaking on bridges on these main roads.
As long as you leave before 6 am, I don't think an overnight break is necessary now.
And definitely NH4; I prefer Amboli, but many prefer Chorla. It is a toss up between the two with Chorla making more sense if your destination is Panjim or south of there.
Make sure that you carry original smart RC card and insurance papers, with a valid PUC.

Last edited by Sawyer : 7th March 2016 at 06:53.
Old 7th March 2016, 08:31   #1796
BHPian

Hi Sawyer! What I feel carrying original documents might pose some risk and will cause unnecessary worry if lost. I keep a notarised copy of the car documents in a file in the car. Notarised documents are as good as originals. Once shown to the police will make them realise not to mess with this person. I suggested him break is for the reason that he is travelling in his car for the first time for such a long distance. Better to have a halt or stay. While returning he can easily drive at one stretch. Starting early morning from Goa to Mumbai can make him reach Mumbai before 4pm.
kabir3551 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 08:48   #1797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvord12 View Post

Go for NH4. Its a better and safer route.

NH17 is definitely scenic and the roads post Kolad are in very good condition however its a 2 lane dividerless highway hence quite dangerous. If you want a peacefully drive, i would suggest stick to NH4.

I recently did a Mumbai - Tarkarli - Mumbai drive. Mum - Tarkarli via NH4 and the return was via NH17. NH17 has many villages in between and there were many instances of people / bikes / tractors crossing the road without even looking. Since now the roads are good, you can easily maintain 100 - 120kmph however with a lot of curves / blind turns, its very risky.

Maintain a steady 100kmph on NH4 and you will be less stressed and also get good FE. And please do not fight with time to reach your destination. Let it be at a leisurely pace and enjoy the drive.

Just my 2 cents

Drive Safe.

Cheers,
Raj

Last edited by Desmosedici : 7th March 2016 at 08:51.
Old 7th March 2016, 10:10   #1798
BHPian

Quote:

According to the internet, the NH 66 is more scenic but has winding turns and is slightly dangerous, while the NH 4 is far more safer. I would love to hear your inputs regarding this for a first time traveler.

I have traveled extensively between Mumbai and Pune via the expressway, if that helps.

Oh and, this is the first time I'll be driving such a long distance and out of state, so I had a few queries.

Is it safe to drive around in Goa with an out of state registered car, or should I just take the bus?

Any important things to be careful about in North and South Goa?

Any car thefts or scams that I should be careful about?

Hello Sir, as recommended by everyone I too would recommend you to take NH-4. Not only it is safe, it will also cut down your travel time. If you love your ride & have no qualms about long driving hours then Mumbai Goa distance can easily be covered in a day.

I have prepared sample itinerary for you. Start from Mumbai by 6.00 AM, stop for breakfast just before Pune, Finish breakfast by 9.30, Head towards Kolhapur, Break for Lunch before Kolhapur (Sai International), Wrap up lunch by 3.00 PM. Take Nippani-Uttur-Ajara-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Panjim route. (This route will avoid the hassle of getting into Belgaum city and you will be able catch sunset in Amboli ghat). Once you climb down Amboli ghat you are only a hour’s drive from Goa.

Do not worry about out of state registered vehicle. You will find plenty of them in Goa. Trust me, Goa is far safer place if you follow law.

Once you are in Goa, you can either hire two wheeler or take your four wheeler depending on distance of tourist place/spot from your stay.

North Goa is mostly noisy, chaotic and lively. For serene beaches head south. In fact Agonda & Palolem beaches are among top ten beaches of Asia.

Do drop me a message in case you need any assistance or post here.
Ertigiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2016, 23:21   #1799
BHPian

Quote:
Stick to NH4. Maybe you can try other routes the next time.
I have always taken my MH registered car to Goa (5 times). Absolutely no hassles. Being a tourist place, there's no restriction on outside vehicles.
But follow the rules and don't overtake on bridges in Goa.
As given in this thread there are multiple routes after Kolhapur.
I have done all of those and found Chorla the best (in my opinion).
Old 13th March 2016, 22:13   #1800
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

I am planning to drive to Goa on 25th MARCH. I have to reach Marriott Goa. Should I take the Amboli ghat route or Chorla ghar route ?

Planning to leave from PUNE at 6 AM.

Planning to leave GOA at 6AM, during return.

Please suggest a good place to stop for lunch.

Car: Skoda Rapid DSG.

Last edited by F150 : 13th March 2016 at 22:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks