Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2016, 11:43   #1771
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Having just come back from Goa, I have to apologise here; at this time/road conditions, I can see that this is quite feasible based on my experience too.

I left Candolim at 9 am and was home in Pune at 5 pm after one 30 minute break for lunch. Had I left earlier, I would have done the traffic ridden stretch from Candolim all the way to the Sawantwadi turn faster. Likewise, if I had not experimented with the traffic ridden Gadhinglaj route instead of the Uttur route. Eliminate those two and a 7 ish hour driving time, for a 7.5 hour total time is quite feasible, without ever exceeding 100-105 kmph. While the Satara Pune road has plenty of diversions, high average speeds are quite possible in daytime. In most places the diverted road also has decent surfaces, a rare thing in India.
Hey Sawyer,
No need for apologies. Did you bring the Nano to Goa again?
You are right about leaving early. 6 am is the latest you should leave.
If I had known you were going to be here we could have met up at Candolim. Maybe next time....
Regards,
SS
Old 26th January 2016, 12:44   #1772
Senior - BHPian

Nope, the Civic this time! I will let you know when I am there again.

Nano is now reserved for in Pune use.
Old 27th January 2016, 15:11   #1773
BHPian

Which is the preferred exit on NH4 for Goa via Amboli?

Nipani-Tavandi-Uttur-Ajra-Amboli
or
Sankeshwar-Gandhinlaj-Ajra-Amboli

I will be travelling in day light. Would prefer a road with better road conditions and road signs
Old 27th January 2016, 15:32   #1774
Senior - BHPian

I have tried both within the last 6 days; the Uttur road is marginally worse than the other one, but because it has a lot less traffic on it, it is the faster way. It doesn't need any road signs, it is a direct road to the T junction on the other route, where you take a right turn to Amboli.
Old 27th January 2016, 15:43   #1775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post

or

I will be travelling in day light. Would prefer a road with better road conditions and road signs
Go for Tawande exit. It's unmissable. Hotel Kaveri and Hotel Goa Ves are the landmarks and the the route to follow is exactly between these two landmarks. Better to go in the daylight not because of safety issues but because of help which may not be available if at all you get stuck anywhere.
@Chaand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 20:08   #1776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post

or

My preference is second option (Sankeshwar-Gandhinlaj-Ajra-Amboli). I used it twice once broad day light and once in the night (I was in Gadhinglaj at around 8pm). Roads were good and you get additional beautifully maintained Karnataka stretch of NH4 !!
dmplog is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 20:55   #1777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
My preference is second option (Sankeshwar-Gandhinlaj-Ajra-Amboli)!
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Chaand View Post
Go for Tawande exit. It's unmissable. Hotel Kaveri and Hotel Goa Ves are the landmarks and the the route to follow is exactly between these two landmarks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Likewise, if I had not experimented with the traffic ridden Gadhinglaj route instead of the Uttur route.
Sawyer, did you take the Gadhinglaj route and do you think its worse than Uttur route?

I see that Gandhinglag route is a State highway SH134, where was Uttur road is just a village road. Is it narrow/lacking road signs? Or is Google Maps not showing the correct data?

dmplog and Chaand thanks for your inputs.
Old 27th January 2016, 20:56   #1778
Senior - BHPian

By my estimate the Uttur option is 10-15 minutes quicker; the other one loses time passing through Gadinglaj traffic and in overtaking many sugarcane carriers on a two lane road that has no median.
PS: the Uttur road is almost as good, and has no road signs. But I see no reason you need them, you can't go wrong except in taking the wrong left turn at its end that will put you on the road back to NH4. Turn right to Amboli and all will be well!

Last edited by Sawyer : 27th January 2016 at 20:58.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 07:11   #1779
Senior - BHPian

By the way, a feedback on Goa Ves; adjacent to it there are two excellent outlets. One sells the well known Kunda from Belgaum, a milk sweet. One reason less to travel to Goa via Belgaum-Chorla! And the other sells Kolhapuri chappals, that seem to be of decent quality.

On second thoughts, the more the people that use Chorla the better for those of us that will then have lower traffic to deal with on our preferred and faster Amboli route:-).
Old 29th January 2016, 12:46   #1780
BHPian

Tawandi Ghat - Uttur - Ajra road is in better condition since last few months. Previously, 4 KM stretch near MH - KA border was nightmare. But now it is improved and has considerably less traffic than Gadhinglaj route. It also saves @ 12 km.

Still I find Chorla route must faster option. From Pune with 20 minutes break at Sai International I could reach Ponda in 7 hrs, never crossing 100 kmph in Polo. There are less blind turns on that road and less truck/ bus traffic.
Old 30th January 2016, 06:58   #1781
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps Amboli is faster for going to North Goa, Ponda to Candolim can take another 30 minutes. It may also depend on your luck in Belgaum traffic - what time did you transit?

In any case it is good to have an alternative so that the Amboli route remains as fast as it is these days.

Every time I did Chorla on the way out, Amboli return was 40-45 minutes faster, so unless the road surface deteriorates I see no reason to pick any other route.

Last edited by Sawyer : 30th January 2016 at 07:01.
Old 30th January 2016, 14:41   #1782
Senior - BHPian

I started at 6:15am from goregaon and have now reached the Nipani Sawantwadi turn on NH4 at 2:15pm. 8 hours for around 400kms. Should take another 2 hours for tarkarli. Having lunch at Goa Ves hotel.

Lot of diversions between pune and kolhapur. Slows you down.
Old 4th February 2016, 09:56   #1783
BHPian

Planning to travel to Calangute from Pune this weekend.
After reading previous posts - I am still undecided on whether to take Chorla ghat road or Nipani road?
Can some advise?
Old 4th February 2016, 09:59   #1784
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by --9-- View Post
Planning to travel to Calangute from Pune this weekend.
After reading previous posts - I am still undecided on whether to take Chorla ghat road or Nipani road?
Can some advise?
I'd suggest Chorla route only if you are planning to head to South Goa. Otherwise stick to Nipani - Uttur - Ajara - Amboli - Sawantwadi - Goa route.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2016, 10:10   #1785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I'd suggest Chorla route only if you are planning to head to South Goa. Otherwise stick to Nipani - Uttur - Ajara - Amboli - Sawantwadi - Goa route.
Thanks!
Took this route on my way to and from Goa. Route is in good shape overall. And yes - for north Goa this route is perfect choice.
Some observations that might help other travelers!
  • Overall time taken for travel between Pune and Baga - just over 8 hours. This includes over 1 hour in breaks (for refreshments, refueling, bio breaks etc.)
  • Roads in Maharashtra are in pretty bad shape. Between Pune and Kolhapur - almost 30% highway time was spent on diversions
  • There is Indian Oil bunker some 5-6 km after Karad. Refueled there. Basic but Good service.
  • While coming back - refueled at Indian Oil bunker in Amboli. Toilet was dirty - please do not use. There is an HP bunker just after 500 meters or so - toilet was relatively clean there
  • While coming back - took a lunch break at Sai international. 8 km after kolhapur - karad toll naka. Hotel is on right hand side. Services and food were amazing. Specially loved Solkadhi there
  • Liva gave average of 17.8 kmpl on this trip! this is when I was driving aggressively - keeping triple digit speeds at all possible places and with AC turned on at all times. Pretty pleased!!!
  • Nipani ghat road is in OK shape. Ghat itself is not at all difficult when compared with Tamhani or other famous ghats
--9-- is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks