Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2016, 10:21   #1816
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Chorla/Amboli are the fastest roads from Pune to Goa. Every other ghat gives you more of NH17/less of NH4, with consequent more travel time. Compounded by the fact that every other route across the Western Ghats has poorer quality and therefore slower roads.
Sawyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 15:30   #1817
BHPian

Jogidada it is a very tricky situation. For Amboli Ghat we are to take right turn from Kaveri Hotel so we tend to feel that Route for Goa via Amboli Ghat will be easier to reach.
For Chorla Ghat we are to go further down from Kaveri Hotel till Belgaum, so we feel that it will longer and tiring.
The moment we pass Kaveri Hotel for taking Chorla Ghat we start feeling that, we should have opted for Amboli Ghat.
The best part would be to enjoy both the routes.
While going from Pune to Goa, we can take Amboli Ghat and from Goa to Pune via Chorla Ghat. I did the same. Both the routes are like cousins who fight to remain ahead of each others. In fact it is not the Ghats who compete, it is the persons who drive on it that make them their favourite. Every individual has his own favourite route. Its all about satisfaction.
Whatever I have written above is my personal opinion and I assume others are bound to disagree with me.
kabir3551 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 16:23   #1818
Distinguished - BHPian

Talking of Gaganbawada Ghat - see this old video -

And add to that more bus traffic. Not that one cannot go, but too narrow stretch with many tricky turns! Also read this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaganbawada You would know that you need to traverse your route through busy Kolhapur traffic for this ghat. Like entire Sahyadri range, this ghat would be beautiful in monsoon but narrow roads pose more risk too.

Few more links worth checking -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1897620
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2912599
http://highwayonlyway.com/tag/radhanagari/

So for majority of the folks, either Amboli-Ajara or Chorala would do just fine. if you are up for more adventure and tolerant with road and traffic conditions, give a try to Radhanagari or Gaganbawada routes - monsoon is beautiful all across Western Ghats/ Sahyadri Range, so you won't be badly disappointed!
Old 22nd March 2016, 11:02   #1819
BHPian

So it's going to be a toss up again between Amboli and Chorla at Hotel Goa Ves! Will update regarding the route and travel time when I reach Panaji on 24-Mar. I am hoping to leave by 6 AM and plan to reach around 2:30 PM
Old 22nd March 2016, 11:36   #1820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogidada View Post
So it's going to be a toss up again between Amboli and Chorla at Hotel Goa Ves! Will update regarding the route and travel time when I reach Panaji on 24-Mar. I am hoping to leave by 6 AM and plan to reach around 2:30 PM
On a completely different note. Do not eat at Goa Ves. Aint so good. I did see another option bang opposite but dont recollect the name.

Cheers,
Raj
Old 22nd March 2016, 12:40   #1821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
On a completely different note. Do not eat at Goa Ves. Aint so good. I did see another option bang opposite but dont recollect the name.

Cheers,
Raj
Yes. My only scheduled stops are for petrol after the Khed Shivapur toll and at Sai International for refreshments. The plan is to sustain on sandwiches until we hit the pool bar in the hotel
Old 22nd March 2016, 13:58   #1822
BHPian

Jogidada click some pics and do share it. Suggestion- Pune-Goa via Amboli.
Goa-Pune via Chorla. Enjoy both the routes. Do parasailing and banana ride in Goa.
Old 22nd March 2016, 15:56   #1823
BHPian

Folks any opinions on which would be safer for a solo Duke 390 rider? Departure time 4am doable from Pune destination is North Goa
Old 22nd March 2016, 15:58   #1824
BHPian

I am travelling to Varca, Goa on 24th morning! I would be taking the chorla route as I am staying in south goa. Planning to start by 5 am, reach by 1 pm. Amboli route is actually less distance & more time, I want to avoid NH17 going through Goa, last time I had to drive at 50-60 kmph for almost 1.5 hrs to reach Colva. Route via anmod-mollem is the shortest but not sure about the road conditions. Breakfast planned @ Kolhapur and lunch at the goa hotel!
Old 22nd March 2016, 17:47   #1825
BHPian

^^ that's great. I'm a newbie with this route, it'd be great to have some company if you are going by bike!
Old 22nd March 2016, 19:27   #1826
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameshwar View Post
which would be safer for a solo Duke 390 rider? Departure time 4am doable from Pune destination is North Goa
As an ex-biker, I am very reluctant to recommend night riding on any Indian highway. I suggest waiting till 6 am, and using either Chorla/Amboli. Chorla ought to work well, a bike ought to have little trouble in Belgaum traffic.
Old 22nd March 2016, 19:37   #1827
BHPian

Thanks for the tip Sawyer! Appreciate your comments on night driving..will take this into consideration. I think it'll be better through Belgaum too. Although I'd be happy to steer clear of any traffic as much as possible..
Old 22nd March 2016, 21:41   #1828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post

Cheers,
Raj

The name of the other restaurant is Kaveri. Its good for snacks place. Clean washrooms.
Old 23rd March 2016, 06:52   #1829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameshwar View Post
Although I'd be happy to steer clear of any traffic as much as possible..
In which case Amboli ought to be faster; on a bike you cannot - or at least should not - be doing the 120 speeds on the Kolhapur to Belgaum run that cars safely can, that allow them to make up for the longer distance via Chorla. As always the thing to be very careful of on state highways is the ST buses coming fast around the narrow turns on these roads.
Old 23rd March 2016, 08:51   #1830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddy View Post
I am travelling to Varca, Goa on 24th morning! I would be taking the chorla route as I am staying in south goa. Planning to start by 5 am, reach by 1 pm. Amboli route is actually less distance & more time, I want to avoid NH17 going through Goa, last time I had to drive at 50-60 kmph for almost 1.5 hrs to reach Colva. Route via anmod-mollem is the shortest but not sure about the road conditions. Breakfast planned @ Kolhapur and lunch at the goa hotel!
Hey Siddy, Since you are travelling to South Goa I would recommend you to take Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary road. This route is definitely faster than Chorla route.

The route would be Pune - Belgaum - Khanapur - Turn right after Khanapur bridge towards Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary - Anmod Checkpost - Mollem - Margao - Varca.

In fact I would be taking this route (in opposite direction though ) tomorrow morning. Road between Khanapur & Anmod check post is very good. Also the road after Anmod check post till Goa border is repaired. You save at least half hour of your journey by taking this route.
Ertigiat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks