Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2013, 21:30   #31
Team-BHP Support

re: Mumbai to Coorg : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk016 View Post
so there it goes: Mumbai(dombivili)-coorg-kodaikanal-munnar-Thiruvananthapuram-kanyakumari-kochi-Goa-Mumbai(dombivili)
any inputs about routes, stop over options road conditions, etc are welcome.
May be a better sequence ?

Mumbai-coorg-kodai-kanyakumari-TVM-Kochi-Munnar-Goa-Mumbai

you keep Kodai and munnar between two different legs of journey

Mumbai-Coorg
Mumbai-Hubli-Hiriyur (you exit 4-lane here)-Huliyar-Neligere-Srirangapatna-Mysore-Hunsur-Coorg

Coorg-Kodai

Coorg-Mysore-Nanjangud-Chamarajanagar-Sathyamangalam-Annur-Karumathampatti-Palladam-Dharapuram-Palani-Kodai

Kodai-KK :

Kodai-Batlagundu-Dindigul-Madurai-Tirunelveli-Kanyakumari

KK-TVM-Kochi : Self Explanatory.

Kochi-Munnar : NH49 all the way.

Munnar-Goa :
I understand you may want to drive through coastal highway, but I would say not worth it. Its good to go via 4-lane.

Munnar-Udumalpet-Dharapuram-Perundurai-Salem-Bangalore-Hubli-Goa
Hubli-Goa depends where you plan to stay in Goa. If south Goa, then Hubli-Ankola-Karwar-Goa. Else you can take the Chorla or Amboli ghat options as well.

Quote:
I am sailing right now and have limited access to the internet. this might have limited my search options and hence i would like some help from team-BHIians

Nice! Already in an "exotic" drive and planning for another!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 10:04   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Nice! Already in an "exotic" drive and planning for another!
well, this is an exotic ride as you say. having a main engine that can churn out 125 thousand Bhp, is actually exciting.
but again, the responsibility of work takes the fun away sometimes. apart from that this is just like a bus carrying 9 thousand 20 feet containers.
Old 15th October 2013, 20:43   #33
Senior - BHPian

I have a plan to reach Coorg on 17th November afternoon.
My journey starts around 7 AM on the previous day from Pune.

Now, Pune to Coorg is 900 KM, and I estimate 15 hours, so I would like to drive for 10 hours and cover the remaining distance for the next day.

Hence I would like to break the journey into two parts.

1. Pune --> Halt by evening after 10 hours of driving.
2. Resume and go to Coorg (reach by 2 PM just in time for the hotel checkin).

From the route map, Harihar, Shimoga, Bhadravathi and Chikmagalur seem to be options.

Can someone suggest where I can halt near the highway for the night with family?
Hotel recommendation (safe and clean place with parking) is all we need for the night.
Old 18th October 2013, 20:54   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
7 AM on the previous day from Pune.
Now, Pune to Coorg is 900 KM, and I estimate 15 hours, so I would like to drive for 10 hours and cover the remaining distance for the next day.
Where in Coorg would you be heading to ?

Quote:
1. Pune --> Halt by evening after 10 hours of driving.
2. Resume and go to Coorg (reach by 2 PM just in time for the hotel checkin).

From the route map, Harihar, Shimoga, Bhadravathi and Chikmagalur seem to be options.

If you want end to end good roads all the way :
- Drive till Chitradurga on Day 1. (A decent place is Naveen Regency)
- Day 2 : Chitradurga-Hiriyur-Huliyar-Neligere-Pandavpura-Sringapatna-Mysore bypass-Hunsur-Periyapatna-Madikeri.

Its 100km longer, but you cant go wrong with this route. And the commute on this route. End to end good roads.

Route Link

If you plan to visit Chikkamagulur, then its a different equation.
Another option : Since you are this route you can cover Srirangapatna also if you want.

PS : Another member planning similarly! Saw this after I posted.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3269333

Last edited by ampere : 18th October 2013 at 21:01.
Old 19th October 2013, 10:20   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Where in Coorg would you be heading to ?
Thanks @ampere.
I am going to be at Club Mahindra, Coorg.

Quote:
If you want end to end good roads all the way :
- Drive till Chitradurga on Day 1. (A decent place is Naveen Regency)
- Day 2 : Chitradurga-Hiriyur-Huliyar-Neligere-Pandavpura-Sringapatna-Mysore bypass-Hunsur-Periyapatna-Madikeri.

Its 100km longer, but you cant go wrong with this route. And the commute on this route. End to end good roads.
I am not sure about going 100 KM extra (typically 1 hour extra driving).
If the Google suggested default route is good, then I can go with that.

Pune -- Harihar -- Honnali -- Shimoga -- Tarikere -- Shankaraghatta -- Chikmagalur -- Belur -- Somwarpeth -- Club Mahindra, Coorg.

Any ideas about the bad roads on this route?

So far, I have not planned out where to go from Coorg, but Ooty or Nagarhole are on the list. I am looking for some more suggestions with scenic beauty (and possibly less commercialized places).
Visiting temples and palaces is not really on the agenda for this trip, so Mysore area will perhaps be skipped.
I will prefer wildlife (more specific, tigers (somewhere) and elephants - Dubare camp).
Old 19th October 2013, 10:34   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Pune -- Harihar -- Honnali -- Shimoga -- Tarikere -- Shankaraghatta -- Chikmagalur -- Belur -- Somwarpeth -- Club Mahindra, Coorg.
Harihar-Shimoga : Quite patchy roads
Shimoga-Tarekere : Very good
Tarekere-CKM-Belur : Good to Average
Belur-Somwarpet (via Kodlipet): Unknown factor for me. Mostly roads are quite pathetic.
Old 19th October 2013, 23:25   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @ampere.
I am going to be at Club Mahindra, Coorg.

Any ideas about the bad roads on this route?
I know for a fact that Shanivarasanthe-Madikeri is decent. So the only unknown factor would be that of Belur-Shanivarasanthe. That too, if you are driving an SUV/MUV, should not pose much of a problem.
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 17:12   #38
Senior - BHPian

So, bumping up this thread since, I am leaving for Coorg tomorrow morning.

Will probably halt somewhere near Shimoga for the night and the leave next day (Sunday) for Coorg.

Route
Pune - Harihar - Honalli - Shimoga

Shimoga-Bhadravathi-Tarikere-Birur-Kadur-Chikmagalur-Belur-Biccodu-Belagodu-Bage (Turn left)-Ballupet (Turn right)-Magilu (3 kms bad) --- Kodlipete - Shanivarsanthe - Somwarpet - Madikeri

Alternative route:
Shimoga - Arasekere - Hassan - Gorur - Arkalgud - Mallipatna - Shanivarasante - Somawarapet - Madikeri
Old 15th November 2013, 19:56   #39
BHPian

Quote:
So, bumping up this thread since, I am leaving for Coorg tomorrow morning.

Will probably halt somewhere near Shimoga for the night and the leave next day (Sunday) for Coorg.

Route
Pune - Harihar - Honalli - Shimoga

Shimoga-Bhadravathi-Tarikere-Birur-Kadur-Chikmagalur-Belur-Biccodu-Belagodu-Bage (Turn left)-Ballupet (Turn right)-Magilu (3 kms bad) --- Kodlipete - Shanivarsanthe - Somwarpet - Madikeri

Alternative route:
Shimoga - Arasekere - Hassan - Gorur - Arkalgud - Mallipatna - Shanivarasante - Somawarapet - Madikeri
I would suggest you stick to Route1 as I've tried the Arakalgud route in July and was horrible. It is highly unlikely that they'd have fixed it now.
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 13:47   #40
Senior - BHPian

Back from a 2600 KM trip covering Madikeri, Masinagudi, Ooty, Mysore and Bangalore - then back to Pune.

I don't remember all the bad routes that we encountered, but the route from
Pune - Harihar = Good
Harihar - Shimoga = Average
Shimoga -Bhadravati - Kadur = Good
Kadur - Banavara - Average
The road towards Arsikere was reported as bad from a local taxi fellow.
He suggested going via Halebeedu towards Hassan.
We followed that route and it is under construction. Good patches and unpaved roads, both. Scraped the underbelly twice on the 1 foot tall bumpers.
From Hassan, there is a road which goes via Arkalagud. Asked two local guys, they said do not take this route, instead take the 40KM longer route via
KR Nagara - Hunsur -- Periyapatna - Makikeri. This route is good.

Hope this helps someone.
Old 28th November 2013, 09:00   #41
BHPian

Hello guys,
Leaving tomorrow for a 8 day trip to Chikmanglur & madikeri. Planning to take the below route. Please suggest if better option possible.
Mumbai- pune- harihar ----- night stay
Harihar- honnali- shimoga- bhadravati- tarikeri- shankaraghatta- Chikmanglur.
Will stay in Chikmanglur for 2 nights then proceed to madikeri.
Chikmanglur- belur- balupet- kodlipet- shanivarasanti- somwarpet- madikeri.
Will also check local news and the road updates thread for any disturbances on the NH4 for sugarcane farmers protest.
Old 28th November 2013, 09:44   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
From Hassan, there is a road which goes via Arkalagud. Asked two local guys, they said do not take this route, instead take the 40KM longer route via
KR Nagara - Hunsur -- Periyapatna - Makikeri. This route is good.
This is what I was saying before your started your drive. If one plans on going via Hunsur, it is always easier to drive via Chitradurga-Hiriyur-Huliyar-Neligere-Nagamangala-Srirangapatna-Mysore-bypass-Hunsur-Coorg.

Distance wise it would at max 30km more but you get perfect roads. And that extra distance you would easily negate with 4-lane driving.
Old 28th November 2013, 09:55   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Kadur - Banavara - Average
The road towards Arsikere was reported as bad from a local taxi fellow.
Considering the fact that Hassan-Arasikere has been bad since a couple of years, Kadur-Chikmagalur-Belur-Hassan (~100 kms) would make sense today.

Quote:
He suggested going via Halebeedu towards Hassan.

We followed that route and it is under construction. Good patches and unpaved roads, both. Scraped the underbelly twice on the 1 foot tall bumpers.
This could be the Banavara-Javagal-Halebidu- (Either via Salagame or Hagare) - Hassan route and the first bit is now declared as National Highway and would be experiencing some expansion work now.
Old 28th November 2013, 16:50   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is what I was saying before your started your drive. If one plans on going via Hunsur, it is always easier to drive via Chitradurga-Hiriyur-Huliyar-Neligere-Nagamangala-Srirangapatna-Mysore-bypass-Hunsur-Coorg.

Distance wise it would at max 30km more but you get perfect roads. And that extra distance you would easily negate with 4-lane driving.
Yes. On hindsight, that could have been better (though longer) option. But since we already were at Shimoga, we had no choice but to continue ahead through the interior routes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Considering the fact that Hassan-Arasikere has been bad since a couple of years, Kadur-Chikmagalur-Belur-Hassan (~100 kms) would make sense today.
Another option, but not sure how much of bad roads, unless some brave soul decides to share first hand experience.

Quote:
This could be the Banavara-Javagal-Halebidu- (Either via Salagame or Hagare) - Hassan route and the first bit is now declared as National Highway and would be experiencing some expansion work now.
Yes. That section.

What I have learnt is that in India, you need an SUV if you don't want to think too much about the road ahead. Hopefully my next vehicle will be one.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 18:11   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Another option, but not sure how much of bad roads, unless some brave soul decides to share first hand experience.
I am quite regular in this section. The roads from Kadur to Chikmagalur and then Belur-Hassan are indeed good. In fact its the Hassan-Arasikere section that is very bad.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks