Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2016, 12:46   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Delhi - Mumbai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsangal View Post
Glad to hear that Nitin. Sounds like you had a good time coming over.
How many hours did you take in total?

Re tolls i think you will find that you pay ~Re.1/Km as toll, the Baroda route has 1 toll every 50 odd kms and charge a similar amount.

My partner in crime pm25264 has voted for Surat - Baroda - Udaipur route, so will be taking that one, so more than eager to hear your first hand report of the way back. Especially the Jaipur - Delhi stretch on return (it was terrible ~3 years ago).

Good luck for your return trip.
So i finally did Surat route and reached Delhi yesterday. I must admit, i liked Ratlam route little better in terms of traffic and easiness. I would suggest ratlam route to anyone who wants to cover the delhi-mumbai route as quickly as possible. But if its more of staying in between and doing touristing thing, then surat route it is.

Coming back to Surat route, well the roads are excellent all over. Nice wide roads on most of the parts. Best roads i would rate would be between Vado-Godhra-Samalaji. Boy this road section is to die for. However be little careful as there is one point where there is huge pothole right in the middle of the road ( i think its right after Modasa bypass) I went through it at high speed, thankfully i have AT tyres hence survived it. Normal sedan tyres will not survive them at all. So look out.

Having said that, i didnt like this highway in terms of traffic. Specially stretch from Mumbai to Vado. Crazy truck traffic. I was wondering that i was traveling on a holiday, what would it be like on normal days. And then to top it all, you have "BAROOD" bridge to cross. It took me 1.30 hrs to cross that bridge. Real pain.
From Udaipur, i took Ajmer route though most people suggested Chittor route. I had a gut feeling and went with it. Boy was i right. Excellent empty roads in the morning as i started around 6.30 am. Reached Beawar under 2 hrs.

Coming to Jaipur-Delhi. It still remains HELL. Traffic, bad roads, UP and RJ driven cars all makes for it. My recommendation for this stretch, keep yourself on the left hand side (middle or extreme left side). Right most lane is bad most of the part. Roads has melted and there are BIG potholes cause of it. Also right side stretch have skidy parts that can be scary at times. As i said i was lucky that i was driving on a Holiday hence i faced little less traffic than usual. Try to do this section before 2Pm from Jaipur in order to reach delhi and beat traffic.

All the best for your trip. Let me know if you need any thing else.
nitinralli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 09:08   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
All the best for your trip. Let me know if you need any thing else.
Thanks for your detailed notes on the route. I had anticipated the Jaipur- Delhi to be near hellish, it hasn't really changed over the last few years. The Bombay - Ahmedabad has a lot of trucks given the abundance of ports.

I have made bookings for the Ahemdabad - Udaipur route. So will keep to it, however, the notes help, so will try to modify my timing of the jaipur - Delhi section.
Old 20th October 2016, 14:49   #33
BHPian

Quote:
...All the best for your trip. Let me know if you need any thing else.
All right gents. Starting tomorrow afternoon. Final route decided as below. Home - Valsad - Baroda - Udaipur - Beawar - Ajmer - Jaipur - Delhi. 25 hours to the green flag. Waiting to see how it goes.
Attached Thumbnails
Delhi - Mumbai : Route Queries-capture.jpg  

varunsangal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2016, 16:17   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsangal View Post
All right gents. Starting tomorrow afternoon. Final route decided as below. Home - Valsad - Baroda - Udaipur - Beawar - Ajmer - Jaipur - Delhi. 25 hours to the green flag. Waiting to see how it goes.
Have a safe journey mate. I will be starting on Saturday from Pune. Hopefully will be taking the Dhule-Ratlam route. Will update the thread accordingly.
Old 20th October 2016, 22:36   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Since you have traveled this route before, do you know the bridge that comes in route to Surat which is know to cause Big traffic jams?
Sorry nitinralli for not replying earlier, I don't know how I unsubscribed from this thread . I read your post regarding the Surat route. I have not driven beyond Udaipur on NH-8, if you see my first post on this thread I have given the road update till Udaipur.

Thanks for the update as I leave for Bombay on 12/3/2016 and I will consider taking the Dhule route. Don't know if it makes sense for me to take the Dhule route as my house is in Dahisar, close to Western Express Highway.
Old 24th October 2016, 00:34   #36
BHPian

Hi friends
Im driving down to jaipur from Mumbai on the 25th taking the route suggested by varunsangal ie Mumbai - surat - baroda - godhra - udaipur - beawar - ajmer - Jaipur. do let us know how it went @varunsangal
Im planning to split the drive over 2 days and have a stop over at udaipur / rajsamand and arrive in jaipur on the 26th. Any suggestions on which would be a better place to break? I'd be grateful for any recommendations / tips that earlier travellers may have.
thanks, cheers and good travels

Quote:

Coming back to Surat route, well the roads are excellent all over. Nice wide roads on most of the parts. Best roads i would rate would be between Vado-Godhra-Samalaji. Boy this road section is to die for. However be little careful as there is one point where there is huge pothole right in the middle of the road ( i think its right after Modasa bypass) I went through it at high speed, thankfully i have AT tyres hence survived it. Normal sedan tyres will not survive them at all. So look out.
thanks for the heads up on that one, i'll keep an eye out or 2

Last edited by famousshoes : 24th October 2016 at 00:36.
Old 24th October 2016, 06:43   #37
BHPian

Update on Pune - Delhi trip. Reached Delhi yesterday evening following Pune - Dhule-Ratlam - chittorgarh-Ajmer-Jaipur-Delhi route. The patch from Pune to Sangamnar was one of the worst roads to drive. I am not sure of there was another way but it took me close to 4 hours covering 180kms at the start and I started to feel like it's a mistake coming from this route as . However things changed after that and it was a breeze post that. During the initial 200kms there were I guess 3 ghats as well which also slowed me down including lots of diversions and stupid drivers driving in the wrong directions which takes you by surprise at times on a highway. Post Sangamnar roads were clean, no car traffic as such just trucks an heavy vehicles. Things would be different from Mumbai I am sure. Things to watch out for
1 Dogs - I know this is common but I saw atleast 20 dead Dogs and 2 goats in the entire journey with me missing closely on 2( luckily didn't hit any).
2. Crater - It certainly felt like one when my car bumped into it. So as you cross Ratlam bypass just few Kms ahead there is this huge pot hole covering mostly the entire Road and it took my by surprise. This is one of those that makes you go numb for few secs and you take some time to understand what just happen. Watch out for that.

We took a halt in Ratlam for lunch. We went to Balaji Restaurant near station Road.
We reached Chittorgarh at night and took a hotel to sleep the night off. We stayed in Friends Hotel which was in the city. Nice clean rooms, courteous staff, comfortable bed and we didn't not find any issues.
Chittorgarh to Delhi was great no issues what so ever. Luckily it was a weekend so didn't get that famous NH8 traffic in Gurgaon. In the end it was an excellent drive and my I20 held well in the entire journey as always.

Please feel free to reach out to me for queries.
Attached Thumbnails
Delhi - Mumbai : Route Queries-1477271480213.jpg  

Delhi - Mumbai : Route Queries-1477271495463.jpg  

Delhi - Mumbai : Route Queries-1477271512098.jpg  

lHarpreetl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2016, 22:25   #38
BHPian

Just back from Mumbai trip covering 3200 kms in 11 days.

Delhi - Mumbai
Route : Delhi-Jaipur-Beawar-Nathdwara-Udaipur(Night halt)-Modasa-Godhra-Vadodra-Surat-Mumbai.
Day 1 : Delhi to Udaipur was covered in 10 hrs.
Day 2 : Udaipur to Mumbai was covered in 13 hrs, got stuck at Vasai bridge for 45 mins.

Mumbai - Delhi

Route : Mumbai-Surat-Vadodra-Ahmedabad-Himmat nagar-Udaipur(Night Halt)-Chittorgarh-Kishangarh-Jaipur-Delhi.
Day 1 : Mumbai to Udaipur was covered in 12 hrs.
Day 2 : Udaipur to Delhi was covered in 11 hrs.

Crossed Ankleshwar bridge in 5 mins both times. Superb roads overall except for Ahmedabad ring road. Amount spent on tolls was close to 1300/-.
sinharishi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 13:36   #39
BHPian

Delhi-Mumbai Route Update:

Route Taken:
Delhi - Jaipur Bypass - Ajmer - Beawar - Rajasmand - Nathdwara - Udaipur(Halt) - Shamlaji Border - Modasa - Godhra - Vadodra - Surat - Mumbai.

Total driving hours:
Day 1: 11 hrs.
Day 2: 11.5 hrs.
  • Delhi-Beawar: 6 lanes, roads are in good condition despite the heavy rains in the region.
  • Beawar-Rajasmand: 2 lanes for about 100 kms, superb roads, very scenic.
  • Rajasmand-Udaipur: 4 lanes, superb roads.
  • Udaipur-Vadodra: 4 lanes, good roads, passes through some crowded towns.
  • Vadodra-Mumbai: 6/4 lanes, good roads. The new Ankleshwar bridge is open to traffic going from Mumbai to Vadodra.

Roads are good all along, the only bad stretch was a few kms near Shamlaji, Gujarat. The only place we got stuck in traffic was near Vasai Creek, for 45 mins.

Stops taken en-route:
  • Hotel Tirupati, Kotputli (Bfast).
  • Mewar Hotel, Nabri (Lunch).
  • Hotel Shree Naryana, Udaipur (Night Halt).
  • Honest, Shamlaji (Bfast).
  • Sugar and Spice, Sonwada (Lunch).
Old 28th August 2017, 14:20   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Delhi-Mumbai Route Update:
[b][*]Beawar-Rajasmand: 2 lanes for about 100 kms, superb roads, very scenic.[*]Rajasmand-Udaipur: 4 lanes, superb roads.
Hi Sinharishi,

How was the truck traffic in this section ?

Few years back when I did this, there were too many trucks blinding me out and the 2 lane roads weren't that good.
After that experience, I have always gone Bhilwara Chittorgarh route to Udaipur.
Old 28th August 2017, 15:07   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Hi Sinharishi,

How was the truck traffic in this section ?

Few years back when I did this, there were too many trucks blinding me out and the 2 lane roads weren't that good.
After that experience, I have always gone Bhilwara Chittorgarh route to Udaipur.
There was hardly any traffic on this route. I have used this road 7 times in last 1 year. Never encountered heavy truck traffic. Roads are good except for a few giant speed breakers near the towns en-route.
sinharishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 01:48   #42
BHPian

Mumbai-Delhi Route Update:

Route Taken: Mumbai - Surat - Godhra - Modasa - Shamlaji Border - Udaipur - Rajasmand - Bhilwara(Halt) - Kishangarh - Jaipur Bypass - Delhi.

Total driving hours:
Day 1: 14 hrs.
Day 2: 8 hrs.

Most of the route was similar to the one which I took from Delhi to Mumbai. Took the Bhilwara route from Rajasmand during the return journey, the Rajasmand-Bhilwara section is very good. Bhilwara-Kishangarh route has a lot of patch work, lots of trucks on this route, big potholes few kms before Kishangarh.

Will always stick to the Beawar route going forward, no trucks, beautiful roads and takes less time too.

Stops taken en-route:
  • Sugar and Spice, Sonwada (Bfast).
  • Honest, Modasa (Lunch).
  • Bhilwara (Night Halt).
  • Hotel Highway King, Jaipur Ajmer Highway (Bfast).
Old 7th January 2018, 13:50   #43

Planning Mumbai Delhi 6 days Road Trip

Hi,

I am planning to set off on a solo road trip from Mumbai to Delhi on the 9th of Jan, i.e. day after tomorrow. The car in question, my new Skoda Octavia VRS.

So I have scoured the net for travelouges, and trips undertaken by fellow riders, but now I am confused what would be the best option in my case. I have a leisurely 5-6 days in hand to cover the 1500 odd kms between the two cities, so I don't mind detours and food stops to take in local flavours and sights.

Couple of route options I came across are-
1- Delhi->Manesar->Jaipur->Udaipur->Pushkar->Ahmedabad->Vadodra->Surat->Mumbai ( In Reverse)
2- Adding Jodpur to the itenary. Patan, Jaisalmer, Chittorgarh.
3- Ajmer can also be added.

Most Bom Del road trip span 2,3 to 4 days max. I even considered doing Bombay Goa, and then Goa Delhi, but that might be stretching it a bit as Goa Del will be close to 2000km of solo riding. Would rather drive towards Delhi and make pit stops enroute.

Suggestions welcome. Please rescue this confused soul.

Moderator's note: Please search while creating threads on topics extensively discussed on the forum before. Thank you!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th January 2018 at 14:02. Reason: Please read the moderator's note towards the end of the post.
Old 7th January 2018, 23:00   #44
BHPian

Re: Planning Mumbai Delhi 6 days Road Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kush Agarwal View Post

I have a leisurely 5-6 days in hand to cover the 1500 odd kms between the two cities, so I don't mind detours and food stops to take in local flavours and sights.

Couple of route options I came across are-
1- Delhi->Manesar->Jaipur->Udaipur->Pushkar->Ahmedabad->Vadodra->Surat->Mumbai ( In Reverse)
2- Adding Jodpur to the itenary. Patan, Jaisalmer, Chittorgarh.
3- Ajmer can also be added.

Suggestions welcome. Please rescue this confused soul.
This is how I would do Mumbai-Delhi if I were in your place:

Day 1: Mumbai-Udaipur via Godhra-Modassa.
Day 2: Udaipur.
Day 3: Udaipur-Chittorgarh-Jaipur.
Day 4: Jaipur.
Day 5: Jaipur-Delhi.

Mumbai to Udaipur should take you 10.5 to 11 hrs, its about 750 kms. If you go via Ahmedabad, be prepared to get stuck in traffic while crossing Ahmedabad. The Godhra route on the other hand is a breeze! You can stop for lunch at Honest near Anand exit on Vadodara-Ahmedabad expressway (via ahmedabad) or Honest, Modasa (via Godhra) for lunch.

Take halt at Udaipur, Jaisalmer will be off route. You may consider Jodhpur if you take the Ahmedabad-Pali-Beawar route to Delhi.

Spend some time at Chittorgarh, hire a guide and he will take you around the fort, the place has a very interesting history. It will take you maximum 3 hrs at Chittorgarh and then continue your journey to Jaipur.

Udaipur-Jaipur is around 400 kms via Chittorgarh-Bhilwara, the highway is 4 laned but has a lot of truck traffic.

You will need at least 2 days to roam in and around Jaipur! Jaipur to Delhi can take you anywhere between 4 hrs to stressful 7-8 hrs depending upon the time you start from Jaipur. Please keep in mind that this is the fog season in this part of the country.

You are surely going to enjoy the drive in the VRS! Especially the stretch between Shamlaji and Udaipur

Drive safe!
sinharishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2018, 09:50   #45
Team-BHP Support

Re: Planning Mumbai Delhi 6 days Road Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kush Agarwal View Post
Hi,

I am planning to set off on a solo road trip from Mumbai to Delhi on the 9th of Jan, i.e. day after tomorrow. The car in question, my new Skoda Octavia VRS.
We've done this route a few years back, more days though. Here's how we went about it, I'm listing the places of interest as well so you can decide what works best for you:

Day 1: Pune - Baroda
Day 2: Baroda: Baroda Museum, Laxmi Vilas Palace, Cantt. to visit the Temple made out of fighter plane parts.
Then travel to Ahmedabad
Day 3: Sabarmati Ashram, Vastrapur lake, Science City
Day 4: A'bad - Udaipur
Day 5: Udaipur: Lakes, Forts, Palaces
Day 6: Haldighati, Ekling Mandir and Nathdwara
Day 7: Udaipur - Chittorgarh - Ajmer
Day 8: Ajmer - Dargah - Gurgaon

There's quite a bit of history on this route so you may get an overload of palaces and forts.

We did a weekend trip to Jaipur separately so you can mix your itinerary as you'd like.

Here's the TL:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2321243

Last edited by libranof1987 : 8th January 2018 at 09:51.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks