Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2009, 12:54   #31
Senior - BHPian

Hmmmm....I thought the same but the way the were putting up the news there seemed more to it. Hence was just curious.

Usually what Ive read on the net is that the Nepalese operators have various contingencies in case of medical problems. They follow the following procedures in case of sickness.

1. They have trained para medics with the group
2. Oxygen and general medicines are always available with the sherpas.
3. Proper acclamatisation instructions are given with proper stops for that.
4. Incase of a Pax starts suffering from major sickeness he is transported down to lower altitude immediately.
5. If the condition worstens then he is air lifted back to Kathmandu.

You are absolutely right about the preparation part I have taken a printout from the net for the things to carry and have already started to collect them in a bag.

I dont at all plan to compromise on winter clothings good shoes and photographs.

P.S. Just read that the incident occured at PURANG and not at PRAYANG. Purang falls on the route of the Yatra organised by the Indian Govt. This route is more hard as it involves more of walking is for almost 3 weeks

Last edited by deky : 9th June 2009 at 13:02.
Old 9th June 2009, 13:02   #32
BHPian

Like pranava999 said there could be multiple reasons like ill health, altitude sickness etc provided the news is true.

There is a nice site where you can discuss about preparations for your trip - India Travel Forum | IndiaMike.com

I found this site pretty useful when preparing for my trips.
Old 9th June 2009, 13:11   #33
BHPian

just watching on tv about disruption in mansarovar yatra . It is quite common due to landslides !! The idea is it becomes quite difficult to sustain at those height s and with AMS coming heavily down on you !!
Old 9th June 2009, 13:52   #34
BHPian

Hey Deky. You know what, Now is not the time to pay heed to such news. Actually everybody nows that these kind of things are quite prevelant on such trips. It's just that you should be mentally prepared for such hardships. I would suggest you to make Aunty go for some cardio excercises with you too. That is more important because of her age. Rest what I would suggest you is that once you have made up your mind for this travel,then shut all the other things out. Just concentrate on your aim for the journey and have faith. Thats the most important thing to do. Have faith on the God you are going to worship after facing such hard ordeals. God bless and Enjoy your trip. JAI BHOLENATH.
Old 9th June 2009, 16:24   #35
Senior - BHPian

Hey Isldhn,

I know what you mean, and this news will definitely not deter me from going ahead for this trip. I just wanted to know the cause so that if there is any precautions that I could take before hand I would do it.

I have been in somewhat of a similar situation. We all came out unscathed from this experience because we were well trained for that kind of an emergency.

Hence in this scenario also I would like to be prepared for all contingencies so that the yatra is as peaceful and as successful for my mom and myself as it could be.

P.S. Mom is doing her excercises including her deep breathing (yoga)
Old 9th June 2009, 17:23   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Hmmmm....I thought the same but the way the were putting up the news there seemed more to it. Hence was just curious.

Usually what Ive read on the net is that the Nepalese operators have various contingencies in case of medical problems. They follow the following procedures in case of sickness.

1. They have trained para medics with the group
2. Oxygen and general medicines are always available with the sherpas.
3. Proper acclamatisation instructions are given with proper stops for that.
4. Incase of a Pax starts suffering from major sickeness he is transported down to lower altitude immediately.
5. If the condition worstens then he is air lifted back to Kathmandu.
Once in Tibet the Chinese take over and generally they just don't care whether you live or die. All this story about airlift in case of emergency etc is a load of lies. You will realise once you reach, unless things have drastically improved in the recent past. Clean toilets, I am told, is a major problem area along the route.
I am not trying to discourage you at all. Infact I am most glad that you are taking this trip. You will be just fine. Just pray that rivers are not in spate and that the Nepal-Tibet border area is crossable without a problem. These things can delay everything.
Tashi Delek.
Old 10th June 2009, 11:20   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Once in Tibet the Chinese take over and generally they just don't care whether you live or die. All this story about airlift in case of emergency etc is a load of lies. You will realise once you reach, unless things have drastically improved in the recent past. Clean toilets, I am told, is a major problem area along the route.
I am not trying to discourage you at all. Infact I am most glad that you are taking this trip. You will be just fine. Just pray that rivers are not in spate and that the Nepal-Tibet border area is crossable without a problem. These things can delay everything.
Tashi Delek.
1. Even if the Chinese try to help by the time I understand their language Ill be dead..lol. So I hope that situation never arises.

2. I am fully aware that the accomodation is very basic and so is Mom, hence I am going with zero expectation. Anything comfortable will be a bonus.

3. Thanks for the wishes

4. O/T: Tashi is a very beautifull name, heard it many times, Is it a Tibetese name, What does it mean?
Old 11th June 2009, 11:00   #38
BHPian

The death of the pilgrims is apparently due to altitude sickness.

Indian pilgrims to Mansarovar being evacuated in Nepal - National News - News - MSN India - News
Quote:
Kathmandu: Scores of Indian pilgrims, who were stranded along the Nepal-China border while returning from Mansarovar, were in the process of being evacuated, amid reports that four people have died due to adverse climatic conditions.
The pilgrims, stranded because of local political agitation in the country, were being rescued with the help of the Nepal Army, Indian embassy officials said.
As many as 14 pilgrims, rescued by an army helicopter, were brought to Nepalgunj, a western Nepal town, and admitted to a hospital where Indian doctors' services were made available to them, the embassy said in a statement.
Two other helicopters have also been pressed into service to begin evacuation of the stranded pilgrims.
Meanwhile, bodies of four pilgrims, who according to embassy officials died two weeks back, have been handed over to their relatives.
"It is learnt that there were four dead bodies of pilgrims who have died two weeks ago in the area probably due to high altitude, and it has no links whatsoever with the present situation there," according to the embassy sources.
The bodies of the four deceased people have been immediately handed over to their kins and family members, the embassy said.
Source: PTI
Old 18th June 2009, 12:32   #39
Senior - BHPian

Was thinking of taking some small gifts from India for the porters, sherpas, cooks, drivers etc etc.

What all can you suggest would be ideal gifts, something thats not very expensive but might be use full for these guys, they will be mostly Nepalese and some Tibetese.

All I can think of is
1. Hindi movie MP3's
2. wrist watches

Kindly suggest
Old 20th June 2009, 12:02   #40
Senior - BHPian

Got my medical tests done yesterday at Fortis, Jaipur and luckily all is well and have got the fitness certyificate. The fitness certificate is required by the Chinese.

Full cardiac profiling was done and following were the tests carried out.

1. Blood test/urine/ Bp
2. echo cardiogram
3. ecg
4. pulmonary function test
5. treadmill test.
Old 28th June 2009, 19:35   #41
Senior - BHPian

The Time has come for which I have been preparing for almost over a month now. Mom and I are off for the Kailash Mansarovar Yatra tomorrow.

Will be back on the 17th, hopefully in one piece and will be posting a detailed report once I am back.

Regards

Last edited by deky : 28th June 2009 at 19:47.
Old 28th June 2009, 19:40   #42
BHPian

Wow that's some fabulous news. Enjoy it and have a wonderful yatra. DO take a lot of photos and maintain a journal. Wish you all the best and have a wonderful time, and may the force be with you and your mum.
Old 28th June 2009, 20:06   #43
BHPian

Wishing you and your mom a nice and fruitful trip!
Old 28th June 2009, 20:30   #44
Senior - BHPian

Thank You guys!! Will definately document every thing and hopefully get down to writing as soon as possible.
Old 29th June 2009, 10:26   #45
BHPian

My 82 year old aunt who doesn't take any food outside (she carried her own spartan food all through) returned yesterday after a successful trip. She didn't do the parikrama due to her age but said others who did the parikrama were fine (included a couple of 70 year old persons) but for some some minor difficulties on day two.

She said the trip was enjoyable and weather was good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks