Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2014, 17:03   #181
BANNED

re: Travelling to Europe. Need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Whenever I have done an international purchase on my credit card, I have always seen that the bank selling rate is about 3-4% higher than what the credit card charged.
Only thing forex cards protect you against is currency fluctuation(eg falling Rupee), but then, this very statement shows the stupidity of the article. You are not doing currency trading. You are going on a vacation. Currency up downs keep happening
I called up ICICI and asked them all the rates.
If I buy a forex card today, I will get charged 83.36 per Euro, I will also be charged 1.5 Euros per ATM withdrawal.

OTOH, if I use my regular ATM card to do the withdrawal, the exchange rate charged will be 82.97 per Euro - as you said it is lower, however, I also will be charged 3.5% as an exchange conversion charges plus a flat Rs. 125 per withdrawal. Overall forex cards proves cheaper, I think. I will also check about credit cards and update here.

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd July 2014 at 17:41. Reason: Quote edited.
Old 2nd July 2014, 17:14   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Overall forex cards proves cheaper, I think. I will also check about credit cards and update here.
Hello,

Regarding Credit Cards, I have recently used my (Indian) Platinum Select Credit card here in Germany and following were the charges:

1. Flat 3.5% fee on each transaction
2. The Exchange rate applied was little higher than market rates. Upon enquiring, I was told that the Exchange rates are decided by Visa and the bank has no say in that.

I feel forex card is a much better option than using Debit / Credit here.

Thanks,
Old 2nd July 2014, 17:35   #183
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello,

Regarding Credit Cards, I have recently used my (Indian) Platinum Select Credit card here in Germany and following were the charges:

2. The Exchange rate applied was little higher than market rates. Upon enquiring, I was told that the Exchange rates are decided by Visa and the bank has no say in that.

Thanks,

Yes, just checked this. Today Visa charges 86.57 per Euro and the bank charges 3.5% exchange charge on top of that.

So clearly, I think a forex card is better than an ATM Card at the ATM and better than a Credit Card for a CC transaction.

My only question next, if I am getting 1500 Euros in forex and 500 Euros in Cash, I am thing of getting this as 3 different forex cards of 500 Euros each - just in case, I lose one I will still be left with others. Does this make sense?
Old 2nd July 2014, 17:38   #184
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I called up ICICI and asked them all the rates.
If I buy a forex card today, I will get charged 83.36 per Euro, I will also be charged 1.5 Euros per ATM withdrawal.

OTOH, if I use my regular ATM card to do the withdrawal, the exchange rate charged will be 82.97 per Euro - as you said it is lower, however, I also will be charged 3.5% as an exchange conversion charges plus a flat Rs. 125 per withdrawal. Overall forex cards proves cheaper, I think. I will also check about credit cards and update here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello,

Thanks,
Something is definitely weird here.
I had recently gone to the bank and saw their selling rage for forex card dollar as 63.85

The same day I ordered something online and for 20.21$ and my bill showed 1278 which like 63.24

I think, if you are buying anything on international ebay, go to the bank or call bank and ask about selling rates and not it down. When your bill is ready you can simply calculate how much it cost you. the Bill will include the credit card fees of 3% or 2.5% etc.,
Old 10th July 2014, 06:57   #185
BANNED

I think the best way to buy forex cash or forex card is through Forex dealers rather than banks.

The banks (I checked ICICI and HDFC) rates are higher than those offered by Forex. Even with Forex dealers, bargain hard. Most forex dealers offer Axis Bank Forex Cards.
And Forex cards are a little cheaper than currency.

Unfortunately, this is too late for me. I realised this only after I did my forex card purchase from ICICI. However, I got the currency from ICICI a little cheaper after bargaining hard.

Everything has a become sabji mandi now.
Old 10th July 2014, 13:01   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most forex dealers offer Axis Bank Forex Cards.
And Forex cards are a little cheaper than currency.
Don't go with Axis. It was one of the worst travel cards I ever used. Horrible customer service, huge delays in crediting money deposited. Pre-authorization ends up deducting the amount from your card. HDFC was a lot better in comparison.
Old 16th July 2014, 22:01   #187
BANNED

What is the best to get unspent euros back. Ie if I have 1000 euros left on my forex card, is it better to withdraw cash and get it back to exchange to rupee back in India or is it better to leave the money in the card and exchange?
Old 29th December 2014, 14:30   #188
Senior - BHPian

Dear Friends,

I will be travelling to Luxembourg from 6th Jan to 14th Feb for work purposes.
I am aware that it can get terribly cold there during this time. I have already bought thermals and will be buying a good quality jacket + sweater + a muffler.

I have two queries.
1. What others things to carry to combat the cold?
2. What places to visit there during weekends, as I will have nothing to do and also I am travelling alone.

PS: I do not have an international driving license and I also do not intend to drive there.

EDIT: Accuweather shows -5 degree C when I checked it half hour back.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 29th December 2014 at 14:40.
Old 29th December 2014, 14:35   #189
BANNED

Dress in layers. Thermals, then T-shirt, then a Shirt over the T-Shirt, then a thick jacket over the Shirt. The air between each 2 adjacent layers acts as extra insulation.

I don't know how cold Luxembourg. But if it's subzero, carry gloves also.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 14:47   #190
BHPian

Don't forget to pick a cap and nice gloves,

Its subzero here and would get colder
raghu230506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 15:05   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Dear Friends,

I will be travelling to Luxembourg from 6th Jan to 14th Feb for work purposes.
I am aware that it can get terribly cold there during this time. I have already bought thermals and will be buying a good quality jacket + sweater + a muffler.

I have two queries.
1. What others things to carry to combat the cold?
2. What places to visit there during weekends, as I will have nothing to do and also I am travelling alone.

PS: I do not have an international driving license and I also do not intend to drive there.

EDIT: Accuweather shows -5 degree C when I checked it half hour back.
You will definitely need an overcoat, a cap which covers the ears and heavy duty gloves. do also carry some thick socks and boots. Other than that, it depends on your ability to feel cold

Luxembourg City is small. You could actually walk through the town centre in a day and see all there is to see. weather permitting, go down to the river in the town centre. you can also rent a cycle. your hotel can help as you require a card to rent the cycle.

Outside the city, I found the town of Echternach quite nice. quaint little town with a lake next to it and nice eateries. But, i visited in the summer when temperatures were around 18-20 degrees with plenty of sun. Also worth a visit is the town of Schengen. its on the border of Luxembourg, Germany and France. Its next to a river and is quite nice to walk through.

Over of the weekends, you could go down to amsterdam. Although it is driveable distance, you may check for other transport options.
lalittalwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 16:00   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
You will definitely need an overcoat, a cap which covers the ears and heavy duty gloves. do also carry some thick socks and boots. Other than that, it depends on your ability to feel cold

Luxembourg City is small. You could actually walk through the town centre in a day and see all there is to see. weather permitting, go down to the river in the town centre. you can also rent a cycle. your hotel can help as you require a card to rent the cycle.
I have just come out of a fracture surgery in my ankle in September, so walking for long would be very uncomfortable for me. Have 8 screws and a plate still inside.
Renting a cycle is a great idea you have given me and I will inquire on the same
Old 29th December 2014, 16:48   #193
Senior - BHPian

On the other hand, I also wanted to know what all issues I might come up against at the airport security, due to the screws and plate in my ankle.

I already have taken the certificate from my doctor for the implants. He also mentioned to keep a pic of the x-ray and show it to the airport security when asked. Would that suffice?
Old 29th December 2014, 17:16   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
On the other hand, I also wanted to know what all issues I might come up against at the airport security, due to the screws and plate in my ankle.

I already have taken the certificate from my doctor for the implants. He also mentioned to keep a pic of the x-ray and show it to the airport security when asked. Would that suffice?
Keep the X-ray but it is likely that they will check you well anyways. Plan ahead and make sure your connections are 3-4 hours each.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 17:29   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Keep the X-ray but it is likely that they will check you well anyways. Plan ahead and make sure your connections are 3-4 hours each.
Layover while going is a mere 90 min at CDG, and on checking, the arrival and departures terminal at CDG are quite apart and will take a lot of time just to reach the departure terminal. Hope there would be no issues on this front, as this will be my entry point in EU and they may check me more closely here than at the Mumbai airport.

During the return, the layover is comfortably 3.5 hours.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks