Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2014, 17:31   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

Luxembourg is a nice little town. There are a few things to do and see in the town, but the whole region is very attractive.

Have a look here http://www.visitluxembourg.com/en/what-to-do

Renting a bike is a great idea, but be aware it is a bit hilly. I suggest you visit the nearest tourist information. They are very good, lots of free advise and brochure and tips on what to see and do. They might also have some tours you might enjoy. If you like eating out, Luxembourg and Belgium wont disappoint. That is unless you are vegetarian in which case it will be a bit more difficult.

If you have the time try and make it to Trier in Germany on the river moezel. Very nice, very typical little German old town.
Dress well. One thing, all houses, shops, offices, hotels everything will have central heating, so once inside you will be very warm.

Enjoy!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 17:53   #197
Senior - BHPian

re: Travelling to Europe. Need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Layover while going is a mere 90 min at CDG, and on checking, the arrival and departures terminal at CDG are quite apart and will take a lot of time just to reach the departure terminal. Hope there would be no issues on this front, as this will be my entry point in EU and they may check me more closely here than at the Mumbai airport.

During the return, the layover is comfortably 3.5 hours.
That could be a bit of an issue esp if your flight is delayed.

Unless they clear you directly through a body scanner, you may get delayed. How is CDG set up?

Let me clarify.
e.g in KL - you dont have body scanners at any central location anywhere - you just land up at one gate and then go to the other gate where you will be security checked just before boarding. Now this gate doesnt open till 30-40 min before departure and has a lot of queueing. If they are paranoid they need to run you through a body scanner that's a 10-15 min walk elsewhere.

In Dubai every arriving passenger goes through a transit security zone where body scanners are also available (IIRC). Thus your scanning can take just 2-3 min longer.
Old 29th December 2014, 18:14   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
That could be a bit of an issue esp if your flight is delayed.

Unless they clear you directly through a body scanner, you may get delayed. How is CDG set up?
I have no clue about the Paris airport. Would be my first time through Paris. Infact my first time with the implants. The amount of International tourists Paris sees in a day, i guess they should have the body scanners at hand on all terminals

Maybe fellow bhpians can throw some more light.

I was pressing for the shortest layover while booking. Hope it doesnt prove costly.
Old 29th December 2014, 18:35   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Layover while going is a mere 90 min at CDG, and on checking, the arrival and departures terminal at CDG are quite apart and will take a lot of time just to reach the departure terminal.
90 min in CDG could be a bit tight, 2-3 hours is more comfortable. You have to catch a bus between terminals. Depending on what it is, it will take anywhere between 5 to 20 min of travel time from terminal bus stop to bus stop (add 5-10 min wait time for the bus).

A family member cleared CDG immigration without any problems, infact she didn't realize she did. So immigration isn't a problem.

As others suggested, get a pair of gloves and go with a good pair of shoes that allow you to walk in snow as your stint will atleast involve one shower of snow.

Also I hope you are transiting CDG in the monring, it should get busy in the afternoon that day as your arrival day (Epiphany) is the official end of the year end holiday period and there will be a lot returning back home that day.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 18:44   #200
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Layover while going is a mere 90 min at CDG, and on checking, the arrival and departures terminal at CDG are quite apart and will take a lot of time just to reach the departure terminal. Hope there would be no issues on this front, as this will be my entry point in EU and they may check me more closely here than at the Mumbai airport.

During the return, the layover is comfortably 3.5 hours.
This will be just about OK in case your flight is on time. But if your flight is delayed by 20-30 minutes it may be a little problematic.

Make sure you get your onward boarding pass also in India itself - sometimes these people don't give it to you. Then you will have to spend 10 minutes at CDG to get the onward boarding pass.

Last edited by carboy : 29th December 2014 at 18:47.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 19:48   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
90 min in CDG could be a bit tight, 2-3 hours is more comfortable. You have to catch a bus between terminals.

Also I hope you are transiting CDG in the monring, it should get busy in the afternoon that day as your arrival day (Epiphany) is the official end of the year end holiday period and there will be a lot returning back home that day.
Flight reaches at 8 am Paris time and the connecting flight is at 9:35 am.

I just downloaded the map with instructions for transfer between 2E to 2G from the airport website.
Will take a fresh X Ray of my ankle and keep, along with the doctors certificate and discharge card copy.

Lets hope all goes well and I land at my destination without much hassle. Thankfully both my flights (Mumbai to Paris + Paris to Luxembourg) are Air France and that should help a little.

Does anybody have any idea if I have to claim and re-check in my baggage at Paris, since this will be my entry point in EU?

In a day or two will complete the purchase of Jacket, sweater, more thermals & t-shirts to wear as layers, a woolen cap, a muffler and a pair of gloves.

I am staying at Park Inn and the town centre is a 10 min walk from there. So I intend to make atleast one visit there per weekend for food supplies (I am a vegetarian and options are few). Hence will need all the warm clothes I can gather

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 29th December 2014 at 19:54. Reason: Spelling Mistake
Old 29th December 2014, 20:23   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Flight reaches at 8 am Paris time and the connecting flight is at 9:35 am.

I just downloaded the map with instructions for transfer between 2E to 2G from the airport website.
Will take a fresh X Ray of my ankle and keep, along with the doctors certificate and discharge card copy.

Lets hope all goes well and I land at my destination without much hassle. Thankfully both my flights (Mumbai to Paris + Paris to Luxembourg) are Air France and that should help a little.

Does anybody have any idea if I have to claim and re-check in my baggage at Paris, since this will be my entry point in EU?
No you don't.

You will 99.9999% be through checked (unless their network is down!). i.e you will get both boarding passes here in India as well as your luggage will be tagged through to Luxembourg only.

The only challenge is that you need to clear immigration AND change terminals within ~65 mins (assuming you're not in economy) so that you reach the gate within 30 mins of flight departure.
Old 29th December 2014, 20:36   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
The only challenge is that you need to clear immigration AND change terminals within ~65 mins (assuming you're not in economy) so that you reach the gate within 30 mins of flight departure.
I AM in Economy. I guess it gets interesting now.
Old 30th December 2014, 06:49   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ok, now what's the worst that can happen? You miss this flight? There are three flights a day by AF/Luxair , with the next one at 12:55pm.

Relax and take it easy - no point over-thinking it now when it is completely out of your control.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 19:51   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I once flew Bologna-Madras with a 30 hour layover at Brussels. My luggage was through checked in to MAA. So needless to say in your case

In Frankfurt I've breezed through gate to gate in 25 min, given that Fraport was the place where they even ask for other documents and ask questions, rest of the airports I passed without a word spoken. If you know the routine, immigration and security won't be a problem. It took more time to walk. So in your case, you'll spend about 15-20 min for the bus.

A quirky thing about 2G (and should be with rest CDG as well) is that there are no announcements. You'll have to see the screens to figure out your departure gate.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 21:49   #206
D C
BHPian

Quote:
Request for a seat in the first few rows of the economy. You would definitely save a few minutes that would be worthy. I suggest you call the airline asap to get a comfortable seat assigned, if they aren't taken already.

Also, right after getting down the aircraft or at the end of the bridge, look out for airline employees waiting with express connection pass for security check and immigration. They will have the names of all passengers who go for a quick connect. The express connection pass would be a small document in florescent color. Go to them and give your name and connecting flight number and take your express connection pass. There will be separate queue for express connection customers for security check and immigration in most of the airport, these customers are served on priority.

I have taken 1 hour connection in London Heathrow and Paris (assuming it is Charles De Gaulle) is not as tough as Heathrow for connection as far as I have seen

Last edited by D C : 30th December 2014 at 22:01. Reason: Added more details
D C is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 16:56   #207
Senior - BHPian

As it turns out things went pretty smoothly at Paris. Except that I am still at paris and my 9:30 am flight has for delayed to 12:55
Old 11th April 2015, 12:43   #208
BHPian

Hi Guys, I have a query, have heard that (now) for a schengen visa, point of entry is not important and the duration of stay in a country will be the factor determining where one applies for the visa. Is this the case? Can some one confirm please?

Case in reference, I am entering France (from UK), spending about 3 days in Paris and then traveling to Netherlands where I'll be spending 6 days. I was under the impression that I should be applying to the French embassy (since that's my point of entry) but my agent says I should be applying to the Netherlands embassy. Logically, if I clear immigration in Paris, shouldn't I be having a schengen visa issued by France?
Old 11th April 2015, 14:32   #209
BHPian

Parag, yes that's correct. You should apply in holland. Though to be honest it does not matter much. I have travelled to Spain and got my visa stamped by French embassy. Just make sure you have proof to confirm your max duration is in holland
erohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2015, 14:40   #210
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was under the impression that I should be applying to the French embassy (since that's my point of entry) but my agent says I should be applying to the Netherlands embassy
Your Agent is correct , you will need to apply at consulate of the country where you will be spending maximum time

Last edited by Turbanator : 11th April 2015 at 14:41.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed