Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2014, 21:04   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Coimbatore to Mysore - Via Chamraj nagar or Bandipur?

Last week we did Bangalore - Coimbatore trip through Mysore since we had some work in Mysore.

- Took Kanakapura route to Mysore for the first time and it was really a peaceful drive compared to the speed breaker route. It was a Saturday morning, but still the traffic was less, good roads along most of the stretches except for few KMs after Malavalli and then there was one more small stretch which was not good. The speed breakers were less than 10 till Mysore.

- From Mysore, as discussed before we took Nanjagod - Chamrajnagar- Sathyamangalam - Coimbatore, the feedback I received by you guys on road condition were spot on. Also, I loved the forest route, ghat section and all the way till Coimbatore.

- While returning we missed a turn at Annur which took as through Othi Malai road(a narrow 10 feet road but Zero traffic) and connected us to Mettupalayam - Sathyamangalam route. This route was even better and we loved it.

- While returning, the ghat section(climbing up) was very challenging with loaded trucks all around. Couple of times, I had to reverse on harpin bends(while climbing up) to give way to trucks. I think Newbies should avoid this stretch(especially towards Chamrajnager/Mysore). One more point to note here is, side walls were missing in lot of curves.

Overall it was a nice drive compared to the usual 4L boring stuff.

Couple of Videos, video quality is not great after converting the file to .mp4 and processing in youtube,

- Had to face a long truck in a harpin bend, it was scary when this loaded truck was just next to us at an angle,

- Few harpin bends here(One of the harpin bend starts at 00:04 ends at 00:18, one of the longest)

Last edited by arun_josie : 9th May 2014 at 21:09.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2014, 01:20   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Youth killed by leopard near the 26th harpin bend on Dhimbam ghat road. Any one traveling in this route, its advised not to get out of your vehicle, especially after dark.

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle6109697.ece
Old 14th June 2014, 17:37   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Overall it was a nice drive compared to the usual 4L boring stuff.
Its a beautiful drive esp in the rains. But yes, one needs to be very careful. There is a high chance one can can get stuck in there thanks to trucks.

couple of snaps in the rains.

The majestic 209
Coimbatore to Mysore - Via Chamraj nagar or Bandipur?-img_6406_dpp_lr.jpg

The mighty Dimbam range
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2014, 17:46   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its a beautiful drive esp in the rains. But yes, one needs to be very careful. There is a high chance one can can get stuck in there thanks to trucks.
Awesome pics there, tempting for a drive during the rainy season. Yes, the only challenge is the truck traffic, especially the multi axle ones.

Any alternate route, if this road gets blocked?
Old 14th June 2014, 18:10   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If coming from KA side, reverse to CH Nagara and proceed either via Ooty or via Kollegal-Madheswaran betta-mettur.

Which otherwise means, take NH209 through Dhimbam only if you are at leisure.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2014, 19:26   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Awesome pics there, tempting for a drive during the rainy season. Yes, the only challenge is the truck traffic, especially the multi axle ones.
Thanks. We did a day trip right till Dimbam and returned back home.

A couple of more I had posted in Karthik's TL.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ilgiris-2.html

Quote:
Absolutely nothing. Ooty circle is quite long and painful.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 11:15   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

During the last one month two people were killed by a leopard on the dhimbam ghats. Yesterday the man eating leopard was caught but still it is advised not to get out of the vehicles on the dhimbam ghats especially after dark.

1) In the first incident a truck driver stopped the truck near 26th bend to check another vehicle which met with an accident, when the encounter took place.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/38598081.cms

2) In the second incident, it was a forest guard at the check post. The guard was dragged 50 metres away from the spot where he was attacked,
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/38598081.cms

After these two incidents, the forest officials have advised the road users not to get out of the vehicles on the dhimbam ghats especially after dark.

Last edited by arun_josie : 25th July 2014 at 11:19.
arun_josie is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 20:10   #53
Senior - BHPian

Going to do this route shortly. Can anyone give me feedback on this . Specially in November . Would route one be quicker ? How are the conditions of the roads and also pumps on the way !

Cheers
Old 27th August 2014, 12:34   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Going to do this route shortly. Can anyone give me feedback on this . Specially in November . Would route one be quicker ? How are the conditions of the roads and also pumps on the way !

Cheers
Some update from facebook friends,

1) I came back from Ooty via Mettupalayam, Satyamangalam, Chamarajanagar, Kollegal, Malavalli, Kanakapura on the 17th of this month. Awesome roads all through, except few bad patches in the Dhimbum ghats and while passing towns. For the major part, it was a breeze.

2) the Sathi-Chamarajnagar-Kollegal-Kanakapura route is pretty good, though it is 2 lane road w/o divider, road is in good condition & traffic is quite thin...
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 23:13   #55
Senior - BHPian

Thanks , doing this old cars so will stick to the two lane road and less traffic.

Cheers
Old 14th June 2016, 19:06   #56
Team-BHP Support

I often drive from Coimbatore to Mysore. I mostly take the Coimbatore - Sathyamangalam - Dimbam - Ch. Nagar - Nanjangud - Mysore route. A few times, I have taken the Ch.Nagar - T. Narasipura - Mysore route. In the past few months, Dimbam ghats has become a gamble, with traffic snarls most of the times resulting in hours of delay.

I have to drive to Mysore early morning Friday. I thought of taking the Ooty - Gudalur route. Has anyone traveled this route recently? Is this a better route with better road conditions and predictable traffic?

Thanks in advance for all pointers.
Old 14th June 2016, 19:17   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I have to drive to Mysore early morning Friday. I thought of taking the Ooty - Gudalur route. Has anyone traveled this route recently? Is this a better route with better road conditions and predictable traffic?
Bangalore-Ooty thread is all about this stretch. Expect very busy roads on this sector (Ooty-Gudalur-Gundlupet-Mysore) thanks to folks from Bangalore!
Old 14th June 2016, 21:12   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Bangalore-Ooty thread is all about this stretch. Expect very busy roads on this sector (Ooty-Gudalur-Gundlupet-Mysore) thanks to folks from Bangalore!
Oh. Oh. Will check that thread as well.

I usually leave Coimbatore by 5AM. Would this help for the traffic situation.
Old 14th June 2016, 21:20   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I guess it should be fine. Because most traffic which starts by 4/5AM from Bangalore should be around here by 10-11 (on the ghats) and around 7/8 around Mysore. But again thats my rough assessment. So mostly you should be able to clear Ooty-Gudalur stretch easily.
Old 14th June 2016, 21:28   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Oh. Oh. Will check that thread as well.

I think Ooty-Mysore stretch (whether via Gudalur or Masinagudi) shouldn't be too bad in the mornings because the tourist traffic from Ooty towards Bangalore typically starts only from around 12/1PM (No one would generally want to get up very early to start back after a vacation and the checkout times of most hotels / resorts is noon)

And the fact that you'd be travelling on a Friday would help as well. The high traffic day for the Ooty to Bangalore sector is Sunday.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks