Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2009, 20:44   #31
Senior - BHPian

ravibhat is always right when it comes to roads through Shimoga, Sagar, and also the info about JOG.

For anyone in doubt let the pictures speak. Have been there on 11.07.09 on my return trip from Mangalore.

Road from Bangalore via Shimoga to Honnavar is good except for a few kilometeres near Shimoga. It was raining through out and it gave a good ambiance to this always green route.

Two accidents
Water Flow at Jogs falls-img_0076.jpg
Water Flow at Jogs falls-img_0212.jpg

Road near Talguppa was washed away!!
Water Flow at Jogs falls-img_0206.jpg
Water Flow at Jogs falls-img_0209.jpg

Jog falls
Attached Thumbnails
Water Flow at Jogs falls-img_0079.jpg  

Water Flow at Jogs falls-img_0085.jpg  

Water Flow at Jogs falls-img_0125.jpg  

Water Flow at Jogs falls-img_0128.jpg  

Water Flow at Jogs falls-img_0150.jpg  

Old 12th July 2009, 21:28   #32
Senior - BHPian

Thats good report, Very sad to hear they didn't complete that bridge work since heavy water in that small bridge would wash that temporary road, but lucky that new bridge is ready but without full completion.

Many turns are scary and slippary in this Shimoga stretch in rainy season. So one has to be extra carefull in these areas.

Did they complete 60km road between Jog falls and honnavar ? I am sure there is at least 10km bad road there. Did you stop in sharavati valley 20km before Jog falls while coming from honnavar?

How much they completed the 4 laning work between Shimoga and Bhadravati ? Did they complete new road tarr work after Bhadraavati and Kadur ? Is there any left out 1 or 2 km stretch ?

Couple of brave pictures of JOG Falls from top of the falls I didn't still visit that spot even in dry season! I request everyone to be extra careful near waterfalls especially in rainy season as it would be too slippary. I better give your contact information to Mungaru Male Photographer so next time for film shooting near water falls you would be great asset to their team. LOL

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 12th July 2009 at 21:32.
Old 12th July 2009, 21:50   #33
Senior - BHPian

Did you trek down the falls , it should be some fun . nice pics btw
Old 12th July 2009, 21:53   #34
Senior - BHPian

Hey Lalu, nice pics there man, so as we have discussed here, the water flow is not all that great.
Old 13th July 2009, 11:22   #35
Senior - BHPian

@ laluks, I had been on the washed away road which you have posted the picture of. I was there last monday evening on my return journey from Goa. It was raining very heavily and visibility was very low. On the forward journey, I had seen that the bridge was still under construction.

We saw a vehicle stuck in the mud which was dumped on the new bridge. So, when we turned right to take the detour they had kept a few rocks blocking half of the road. We ignored it and took the detour. Only when we came near the makeshift bridge did we realise why they had kept the rocks.

I did see the exact spot which you have shown in the pic. Water was flowing very aggresively and the road had almost caved in.

Just in front of us a Maruti omni had passed, so we decided to take a gamble and speed over it. We did pass safely, but I guess the road must have caved in a few hours after that or definitely by the next morning
Old 13th July 2009, 11:40   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
I don't think its safe to trek down in rainy season. Its not all steps going down.
Old 13th July 2009, 13:20   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Thats good report, Very sad to hear they didn't complete that bridge work since heavy water in that small bridge would wash that temporary road, but lucky that new bridge is ready but without full completion.

Many turns are scary and slippary in this Shimoga stretch in rainy season. So one has to be extra carefull in these areas.

Did they complete 60km road between Jog falls and honnavar ? I am sure there is at least 10km bad road there. Did you stop in sharavati valley 20km before Jog falls while coming from honnavar?

How much they completed the 4 laning work between Shimoga and Bhadravati ? Did they complete new road tarr work after Bhadraavati and Kadur ? Is there any left out 1 or 2 km stretch ?

Couple of brave pictures of JOG Falls from top of the falls I didn't still visit that spot even in dry season! I request everyone to be extra careful near waterfalls especially in rainy season as it would be too slippary. I better give your contact information to Mungaru Male Photographer so next time for film shooting near water falls you would be great asset to their team. LOL

Ravi.
Around 10Kms near shimoga was in shambles, others were ok.
Tumkur byepass to NH4 is also bad.

All what i could do with a point and shoot camera is what I have clicked. to point and shoot the falls near, unfortunately I had to tread very close to the falls. it was dangerous and raining heavily. I dont mind doing photography with some good heroines around

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
I did not trek down the falls, but only near the top where it falls down to the depth below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Hey Lalu, nice pics there man, so as we have discussed here, the water flow is not all that great.
thanks. Yes the flow is not that great to visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
@ laluks, I had been on the washed away road which you have posted the picture of. I was there last monday evening on my return journey from Goa. It was raining very heavily and visibility was very low. On the forward journey, I had seen that the bridge was still under construction.

We saw a vehicle stuck in the mud which was dumped on the new bridge. So, when we turned right to take the detour they had kept a few rocks blocking half of the road. We ignored it and took the detour. Only when we came near the makeshift bridge did we realise why they had kept the rocks.

I did see the exact spot which you have shown in the pic. Water was flowing very aggresively and the road had almost caved in.

Just in front of us a Maruti omni had passed, so we decided to take a gamble and speed over it. We did pass safely, but I guess the road must have caved in a few hours after that or definitely by the next morning
Good lord. You were there at the action time.
Old 15th July 2009, 16:17   #38
Senior - BHPian

JOG is better now. This week end is perfect time to visit JOG. But keep in mind next week Eclipse and possible storm/earth quake/TSunami in mind.

Whoever visiting JOG Falls please avoid visiting near top of water falls as I heard many sad incidents of slipping in excitement.

This time chances of reservoir becoming full is less. So whoever wants to visit JOG visit when it rains heavily for 3 days in malnad region.

If heavy rain continues for next 15 days or there is heavy rain for totally 20 days from today untill August end then Linganamakki reservoir will become full. This is just to give idea of when to visit JOG. Week ends are mostly prefered.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 16th July 2009, 10:50   #39
Senior - BHPian

I have to agree with Ravi here, Yep this is the best season to visit Jog.
Old 16th July 2009, 12:20   #40
Senior - BHPian

If someone has already not pointed out, just a thing to keep in mind:
Even if there is a good rain and overflowing dam, sometime you may not be able to get a good view of the Jog falls becacuse of the mist and low clouds. Sometimes the mist coming from the falls is so dense that you can't even tell if there is a water falls there, and you need to wait for really long till the mist clears. So, it is better to account for this when you plan.
Old 16th July 2009, 12:44   #41
BHPian

Where to stay/change?

Hi Everone,

We 4 guys from office are leaving tommorow night (17th) by train to Shimoga to just see Jog falls. We will be reaching Shimoga by 6am. Since we will be returning back same night (18th) where should we stay (only for bath/changing) Sagar or Shimoga, any suggestions will be helpful.
Old 16th July 2009, 19:11   #42
Senior - BHPian

I suggest get one room in Hotel Jewel rock, Shimoga. Once you reach Shimoga directly go to hotel, I am sure you will get one room. If there is no room available they will help you get room in nearby hotel.

You can have good breakfast there also refresh and visit Jog falls. Come back to hotel and refresh and get in to train for return journey. JOG can be reached by bus or hired taxy from Shimoga. Most of the days Hotel people can arrange vehicle in 30 minutes.

Ravi.
Old 17th July 2009, 10:43   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
I suggest get one room in Hotel Jewel rock, Shimoga. Once you reach Shimoga directly go to hotel, I am sure you will get one room. If there is no room available they will help you get room in nearby hotel.

You can have good breakfast there also refresh and visit Jog falls. Come back to hotel and refresh and get in to train for return journey. JOG can be reached by bus or hired taxy from Shimoga. Most of the days Hotel people can arrange vehicle in 30 minutes.

Ravi.
Ravi, sometimes it's very difficult to get a room in Jewel Rock due to weekend rush. @kreddy I suggest you take a lodge in Shimoga, get fresh and then start towards JOG, then Visit Linganmakki dam, then return back to Shimoga, anyways the train is @10pm you have ample amount of time.
Old 18th July 2009, 00:34   #44
BHPian

Jog in Aug-2006

See Jog in full-flow - 13th Aug 2006, 11 AM. (first picture). Locals were saying - "all gates are open" and they hadn't seen that kind of flow in years !. Not sure about that but it was the best I had seen - for sure. What a fantastic sight it was !

But, look at the depletion in just 24 hours - a totally different sight next day - 14th Aug - 12.30 PM. (second picture).

cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
Water Flow at Jogs falls-jog13aug2006.jpg  

Water Flow at Jogs falls-jog14aug2006.jpg  

Old 18th July 2009, 13:10   #45
BHPian

stay at Jog Falls?

Thank you all for your valuable inputs.
I am still confudes as to where to stay neat Jog falls. My plan to leave bangalore on 14th Aug and stay at Jogs falls. Next day head to Murudeshwar and return back on 16th Aug.

So, I may not want to go back to Shimoga for stay on 14th. Anything near Jog would be prefferred so taht I can the mood of the fall at different times of the day. I had heard that the fall looks wonderful when the area is lit up at night.

On the way back from Murudeshwar, I may not want to retrace the route. Is there any route I can take on the way back.(Coming thorugh Mangalore is not prefferred, as I dont like the mad traffic on the Murudeshwar-Mangalore highway)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks