Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2009, 10:48   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post
Thank you all for your valuable inputs.
I am still confudes as to where to stay neat Jog falls. My plan to leave bangalore on 14th Aug and stay at Jogs falls. Next day head to Murudeshwar and return back on 16th Aug.

So, I may not want to go back to Shimoga for stay on 14th. Anything near Jog would be prefferred so taht I can the mood of the fall at different times of the day. I had heard that the fall looks wonderful when the area is lit up at night.

On the way back from Murudeshwar, I may not want to retrace the route. Is there any route I can take on the way back.(Coming thorugh Mangalore is not prefferred, as I dont like the mad traffic on the Murudeshwar-Mangalore highway)
The only place to stay in/near Jog falls is the either of the 2 PWD guest houses. I guess the details on how to book these are posted somewhere in this thread. The next nearest place to stay is in Sagar, Hotel Varadashree (dunno about other places here) about 30 kms away. The last option is to stay in Shimoga, Hotel Jewel Rock.

The better option would be to stay at Shimoga, leave for Jog in the morning (abt 1.5-2 hrs journey), visit Lion Safari on the way, spend the day at Jog and leave for Murdeshwar in the late afternoon. Remember that there are very little facilities for tourists at Jog. Murdeshwar should be around 70 kms from Jog.

From Murdeshwar, you can take the Bhatkal-Kundapura-Shankarnarayana-Haladi-Someshwara-Agumbe-Sringeri-Balehonnur-Chikmagalur-Hassan-Bangalore. But get an update on Sringeri-Balehonnur road before you leave. It was submerged in the rains.

Alternatively, From Haladi you can continue to Karkala and from there take Kudremukh-Kottigehara-Mudigere-Belur-Hassan-Bangalore route.
Old 20th July 2009, 11:04   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
The next nearest place to stay is in Sagar, Hotel Varadashree (dunno about other places here) about 30 kms away.
+1. We just stayed here last weekend. Reasonable rates. (Rs300-700). Suite room is 550, all inclusive. Has nice view too.
Old 20th July 2009, 18:11   #48
Senior - BHPian

Picture posted by AK-47 happen once in 12 years and just for couple of days untill gates in Linganamakki reservoir are closed. If rain continue i think in 2 weeks we can see same situation this time too.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 21st July 2009, 11:37   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Picture posted by AK-47 happen once in 12 years and just for couple of days untill gates in Linganamakki reservoir are closed. If rain continue i think in 2 weeks we can see same situation this time too.
@ravibhat, I was surprised when locals told us they hadn't seen anything like that in a decade. I guess we were really lucky !.

As mentioned by you, it looks good this year too. I am tracking Linganamakki level. As of today (21.july), it is at 1798.5 ft, about 20 ft short of full level. For the past 10 days, the level is increasing by an average of 2 ft per day. So, if similar inflows continue, I guestimate, the reservoir would be full by 1st Aug. I see a good chance of Jog peaking during the first 10 days of August. What do you say ?.

cheers,
Old 21st July 2009, 14:14   #50
Senior - BHPian

Yes definately if it rains hard same way in 10 days time water has to be released. I predict by August 3rd or 4th week this time there is heavy chance of water release.

I feel rain will stop the joy in few days for couple of weeks and resume after August 10th.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 2nd August 2009, 11:38   #51
Senior - BHPian

Any latest reports? Has it stopped raining there?
How is the condition now?

Worth a visit?
Old 2nd August 2009, 17:20   #52
Senior - BHPian

Its raining there but not as heavy as last month. 12 feet to go to see water released. So If there is heavy rain for just for 4-5 days expect huge quantity of water will be released. My strong feeling says by August 20th it might happen.

Unfortunately my daughter had GIARDIA worm (loose stool) infection after our North India trip so I had to cancel my August 21st ""visit my native trip"" :(

I suggest wait for a week for latest update again. May be around August 12th or 16th worth a visit. I will be glad to update based on information I receive.

Ravi.
Old 3rd August 2009, 12:20   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Any latest reports? Has it stopped raining there?
How is the condition now?

Worth a visit?
As of this morning (3rd aug), Linganamakki is at 1808 ft, about 11 ft short of the full level. The rain forecast for Shimoga district over the next five days is ~ 12 mm per day average - which is not much. So, as Ravi says, it might take another 10 to 12 days at least, for the reservoir to be full.

Anyway, whenever it is full, I hope they have enough leeway to open all gates. Irony is, the peak wouldn't last beyond a few hours - at best 24 hours ; because the water at Linganamakki is too precious. So, you need to time your visit appropriately to catch the glimpse of the magnificent Jog at its peak.

cheers,
Old 6th September 2009, 14:04   #54
Senior - BHPian

Latest update: Only 2 feet to go for Linganamakki Reservoir to get full. So expect in couple of days water might be released hence JOG will be in full glory. Rain has come down today but there is more chance that in 1 week time JOG might be flooded like 2 years before.

Ravi.
Old 7th September 2009, 12:23   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Latest update: Only 2 feet to go for Linganamakki Reservoir to get full. So expect in couple of days water might be released hence JOG will be in full glory. Rain has come down today but there is more chance that in 1 week time JOG might be flooded like 2 years before.

Ravi.
Yes !! ... all the gates were opened on Saturday night ; see the picture in DH today : http://www.deccanherald.com/photo.php?id=1622

But the fun didn't last long - water release was reduced by sunday afternoon.

cheers,
Old 7th September 2009, 17:02   #56
Senior - BHPian

Thats TRUE, with couple of days rain water will be released, Rain has come down so it might take 1 week time or water might not be released. Saturday night with 10,000csq water released I doubt this picture LOL

Ravi.
Old 21st September 2009, 14:02   #57
Senior - BHPian

Hi Jog gurus,
We are visiting Hampi this weekend from Hyderabad and also plan to drive down to Jog falls from there.
Any clues on the road conditions, routes and places to stay near Jog? We plan to be at Hampi for 2 nights, and leave early morning for Sagar and Jog falls. We might have to stay there for a day and commence our journey to Bijapur on the next morning.
Thanks in advance
Old 21st September 2009, 19:23   #58
Senior - BHPian

If you start from Hampi I guess you will come via Chitradurga - Shimoga - Sagar. There are some bad stretches in any road around Hospet/Chitradurga/Shimoga or if you come via Koppal/Gadag or via Hoovinahadagali/Haveri. There are few inside roads to reach Sagar from harihar or Haveri or Davanagere or Chitradurga but I don't know about road condition.

My suggestion: Reach Sagar may be via harihar or Davangere or Chitradurga and then drive to JG Falls. After Talguppa there is left turn which goes near Linganamakki Reservoir and then JOG falls. Take that route because you will love water and scenary there and reach JOG falls main gate. Then drive via big bridge and immediately reach other end of JOG if you have time. Enjoy the scenary and then drive to Sirsi via siddapur which is 60km. Stay in Sirsi to proceed to Bijapur next day. Stay in Panchavati since it is in yellaapur road and you can drive via yellapur - Hubli-Bijapur or yellapur-Haliyal-Dharwad-Kittur whatever route you prefer. In sirsi other options are Madhuvana and couple of other places but nothing great.

In sagar there is varadashree hotel with veg and non veg options. Its raining heavily there so in couple fo days water might be released.

Ravi.
Old 21st September 2009, 22:04   #59
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a ton, ravibhat. I'll get back to you with some more questions after I browse the map tomorrow.
Thanks once again. I am inclined to go via Chitradurga as it is a National Highway.
Old 22nd September 2009, 11:04   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are few inside roads to reach Sagar from harihar or Haveri or Davanagere or Chitradurga but I don't know about road condition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks once again. I am inclined to go via Chitradurga as it is a National Highway.
I would suggest,
Chitradurga-Davangere-Harihara-Malebennur-Honnali-Savalanga-Shimoga-Sagara-Jog.
Sometime back I had travelled from Harihara-Shimoga via Honnali-Savalanga, the route was really good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks