Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2024, 16:08   #466
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad to Delhi : Route Queries

Here's the latest update on the route conditions. Keep in mind that this is my first attempt at driving this route, so, newbie alert.

We relocated from Hyderabad to Noida. We started in the early hours from Hyderabad on March 1, 2024, and reached Noida late at night on March 2, 2024. We had pre-booked a hotel in Sagar for the first night.

The road from Hyderabad to the Telangana border remains in top shape. It was a breeze covering this section.

Upon entering Maharashtra, the road condition immediately deteriorated. There were sharp, deep potholes all along for the first 70 odd kilometers. I suffered sidewall damage to my front left tire due to one such pothole, which I completely missed while passing a truck. My tires were Continental UC6, replaced in February 2022, so they were in pretty good condition. I switched to the spare wheel and drove cautiously for the next 50 odd km to Vithal Kamats (G Point Restaurant), where we halted for breakfast. I tried identifying Continental tire dealers but finally settled with A PLUS TYRES in Nagpur, who had Bridgestone and Goodyear tires in stock for my size requirement.

Road conditions were much better until Nagpur. We spent nearly an hour getting a new Bridgestone Sturdo tire (manufactured in late December 2023) and had the wheel alignment and balancing done for all four wheels. The dealer also swapped the back wheels (both Continentals) to the front and put the Bridgestone-Continental pair from the front to the back.

This tire damage incident shook my confidence in the road conditions, and I continued driving a lot more cautiously thereafter all the way to Noida.

Road conditions were good until exiting Pench National Park in MP. The entire stretch was so scenic that I wished I was in a better state of mind to enjoy the beautiful scenery. I do not like driving on unknown stretches after sunset, so the fact that I was going to was playing on my mind.

We stopped at Cube Stop for an early dinner around 5 PM.

Road conditions again turned to uneven surfaces and bad patches after Seoni all the way to Sagar. Not the tire-damaging potholes, but manageable bad patches.

We stayed the night at Hotel Royal Palace, Sagar (Hotel Deepali was sold out). We reached around 11:00 PM. The fact that the entire stretch is quite busy with a constant flow of truck traffic was reassuring. We were never alone on any stretch, which gave us the much-needed confidence to drive to Sagar after sunset.

The next morning, we left the hotel after breakfast by 8:30 AM. Road conditions continued to be uneven with bad patches until around Jhansi. Again, no tire-damaging potholes, just annoyingly bad surface conditions.
Roads were better again after Jhansi.

Beware of the scammers at this HP petrol bunk after Jhansi. They attempted to fill my car without resetting the meter to 0 (it was around Rs.300 after filling up a bike). I called it out within the first few seconds, and the attendant nonchalantly reset to zero without even an apology and fueled up my car.

We stopped for a late lunch at Cube Stop after Gwalior.

Thereafter, we encountered very heavy traffic, with constant and crazy honking and vehicles with loud music, all the way to near Agra.

The roads leading up to the MP-Rajasthan border and the Rajasthan-UP border were choked with vehicles, and we wasted a couple of hours crossing this stretch.

Entering Agra, Google Maps routed us through a non-existent road to connect to a service road for the outer ring road. It was nearly 6 PM by the time we were there, and it was a task to hold my nerves and navigate those non-existent roads.

Thereafter, it was smooth sailing after entering the outer ring road. We stopped for dinner at Bikano Restaurant / Bikanervala on the Yamuna Expressway.

Finally, we reached Noida and checked into our hotel around 10:30 PM.

In summary, it was a tiring drive for me. If I were to do this drive again, I would definitely break the journey into 3 days, halting at Seoni, Jhansi, and finally reaching Noida on the third day.

A word of caution for anyone else driving this stretch - be extremely cautious of the first 70-80 km of roads upon entering Maharashtra. It wouldn't hurt to drive around 50 kmph until you cross this bad section. The roads are terrible and pose a real hazard to cars.

TL;DR version of the road conditions:
  • Hyderabad to Telangana-Maharashtra border: excellent
  • First 70-80 km of Maharashtra: hazardous. Drive around 50 kmph to avoid tire damages
  • Thereafter till Seoni: smooth for the most part
  • Seoni to Jhansi: uneven and with bad patches
  • Jhansi to Agra: good and smooth
  • Agra to Noida: excellent

Last edited by FlashMustang : 9th March 2024 at 16:36.
FlashMustang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2024, 17:24   #467
BHPian

It remains a mystery as to how Mr. Gadkari is building roads where none existed and nobody hoped for a road ever but his own state remains the worst in terms of quality of National Highways. The MH stretch you struggled in has been the same since 2014. It was much worse earlier but then compared to what's going in the rest of the country, it's a pathetic stretch to drive on. I try to be extra cautious while driving on this.

Also, it becomes really comfortable and enjoyable if you break the journey into 3 days. Two days is doable but you won't enjoy it at all and will have to rush needlessly.
bordeaux is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2024, 17:29   #468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMustang View Post
A word of caution for anyone else driving this stretch - be extremely cautious of the first 70-80 km of roads upon entering Maharashtra. It wouldn't hurt to drive around 50 kmph until you cross this bad section. The roads are terrible and pose a real hazard to cars.
The streach from the border to Pandharkawada, MH is always in bad condition, compared to the rest of the road between Hyderabad and Nagpur.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 19:54   #469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMustang View Post
Here's the latest update on the route conditions. Keep in mind that this is my first attempt at driving this route, so, newbie alert.

We relocated from Hyderabad to Noida. We started in the early hours from Hyderabad on March 1, 2024, and reached Noida late at night on March 2, 2024. We had pre-booked a hotel in Sagar for the first night.

The road from Hyderabad to the Telangana border remains in top shape. It was a breeze covering this section.

Upon entering Maharashtra, the road condition immediately deteriorated. There were sharp, deep potholes all along for the first 70 odd kilometers. I suffered sidewall damage to my front left tire due to one such pothole, which I completely missed while passing a truck. My tires were Continental UC6, replaced in February 2022, so they were in pretty good condition. I switched to the spare wheel and drove cautiously for the next 50 odd km to Vithal Kamats (G Point Restaurant), where we halted for breakfast. I tried identifying Continental tire dealers but finally settled with A PLUS TYRES in Nagpur, who had Bridgestone and Goodyear tires in stock for my size requirement.

Road conditions were much better until Nagpur. We spent nearly an hour getting a new Bridgestone Sturdo tire (manufactured in late December 2023) and had the wheel alignment and balancing done for all four wheels. The dealer also swapped the back wheels (both Continentals) to the front and put the Bridgestone-Continental pair from the front to the back.

This tire damage incident shook my confidence in the road conditions, and I continued driving a lot more cautiously thereafter all the way to Noida.

Road conditions were good until exiting Pench National Park in MP. The entire stretch was so scenic that I wished I was in a better state of mind to enjoy the beautiful scenery. I do not like driving on unknown stretches after sunset, so the fact that I was going to was playing on my mind.

We stopped at Cube Stop for an early dinner around 5 PM.

Road conditions again turned to uneven surfaces and bad patches after Seoni all the way to Sagar. Not the tire-damaging potholes, but manageable bad patches.

We stayed the night at Hotel Royal Palace, Sagar (Hotel Deepali was sold out). We reached around 11:00 PM. The fact that the entire stretch is quite busy with a constant flow of truck traffic was reassuring. We were never alone on any stretch, which gave us the much-needed confidence to drive to Sagar after sunset.

The next morning, we left the hotel after breakfast by 8:30 AM. Road conditions continued to be uneven with bad patches until around Jhansi. Again, no tire-damaging potholes, just annoyingly bad surface conditions.
Roads were better again after Jhansi.

Beware of the scammers at this HP petrol bunk after Jhansi. They attempted to fill my car without resetting the meter to 0 (it was around Rs.300 after filling up a bike). I called it out within the first few seconds, and the attendant nonchalantly reset to zero without even an apology and fueled up my car.

We stopped for a late lunch at Cube Stop after Gwalior.

Thereafter, we encountered very heavy traffic, with constant and crazy honking and vehicles with loud music, all the way to near Agra.

The roads leading up to the MP-Rajasthan border and the Rajasthan-UP border were choked with vehicles, and we wasted a couple of hours crossing this stretch.

Entering Agra, Google Maps routed us through a non-existent road to connect to a service road for the outer ring road. It was nearly 6 PM by the time we were there, and it was a task to hold my nerves and navigate those non-existent roads.

Thereafter, it was smooth sailing after entering the outer ring road. We stopped for dinner at Bikano Restaurant / Bikanervala on the Yamuna Expressway.

Finally, we reached Noida and checked into our hotel around 10:30 PM.

In summary, it was a tiring drive for me. If I were to do this drive again, I would definitely break the journey into 3 days, halting at Seoni, Jhansi, and finally reaching Noida on the third day.

TL;DR version of the road conditions:
  • Hyderabad to Telangana-Maharashtra border: excellent
  • First 70-80 km of Maharashtra: hazardous. Drive around 50 kmph to avoid tire damages
  • Thereafter till Seoni: smooth for the most part
  • Seoni to Jhansi: uneven and with bad patches
  • Jhansi to Agra: good and smooth
  • Agra to Noida: excellent
Hi FlashMustang,

Can you please let me know your driving times for both the days, excluding breaks and the unfortunate tire incident.

Also, what was your ride?

Thanks
Dosojin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 05:53   #470
BHPian

Hello Dasojin,

My driving time for the first day was somewhere around 16 hours, and around 12 hours on the second day.

My ride was a Honda City 3rd generation.

Thank you.
FlashMustang is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks