Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2009, 11:38   #1
BHPian

Navagraha temples route from Bangalore

Looking for route details to Navagraha temples in TN., from Bangalore.
Old 13th September 2009, 14:26   #2
BHPian

The Navagraha temples are situated on the Cauvery river basin around the temple towns of Kumbakonam/Mayiladuturai.
The route from bangalore-hosur-krishnagiri-salem-namakkal-trichy
From trichy you can reach Kumbakonam either via Tanjore or via Grand Anicut/Kallanai.

It generally takes 2-3 days to cover the whole circuit, even more if you are keen to visit more temples, each quite famous intheir own way.
Infact there are hundreds of temples around the Cauvery river basin, all more than 1000-1500 years old. for every problem mankind faces there is a temple which can solve it, for example: if you are not married there is temple to be visited, if you want a child, for success in legal problems/court cases, health problems, for wealth, debt problems, infact any problem one might have there is an option of Divine Intervention.

For more details PM me your number & we shall talk
Old 27th September 2010, 13:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

I'm planning this trip from Bangalore this week or coming weekend itself.
I can managed to get to Kumbakonam, that should not be a problem. I'm also planning to visit Thiruvannamalai on the way (not sure if I can do Tanjavur as well).

However, I need some help on staying a couple nights at Kombakonam or nearby places from where I can do the navagraha - I will have 2 days time to finish this.

1> Can someone give me a good route information - what route and in which order (is there a specific one??) we need to visit these temple - I heard these temples are closed between 12-4, hence I need to plan this so that I make use of those four hours in travelling
2> Staying options in Kombakonam

I'm already referring to a couple of these links

Navagraha Temple Tour Route Map - Temples around Kumbakonam and its Telephone numbers, Distance between temples
Navagraha temples Navagraham Hotels near Navagraha temples Resorts near Navagraha temples Suryanar Temple Sun Temple Tirunageswaram Temple Raghu Temple Chandran Temple Vaitheswaran Temple Chevaai Temple Alangudi Temple Guru Temple Kanchanoor Temple S
Navagraha Temple/Sthala,TamilNadu, India - Religious Events in Tamil Nadu pictures on Worldisround

Any additional help is appreciated. I'm not sure how these roads are tracked on Satguide, I have got satguide on my cell and one of the above links has got coordinates for all 9 of them. Is it a good idea to trace them on satguide and follow (I doubth these remote locations are available on satguide maps).
Old 27th September 2010, 14:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

@Ketan - If you need to visit Navagraha temples, then you should stay in Kumbakonam which is centrally located with convenience for all 9 temples. There're several good accomodation available in Kumbakonam; let me know your budget & check for my responses here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-district.html

Pls go through the above link & let me know if you need any help.
Old 27th September 2010, 16:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Attaching a trip log to the same area which I did sometime back. If you stick to my plan, you're likely to cover all in 2 days if you have an experienced guide like I did, otherwise it's IMPOSSIBLE with the timings some temples have. Plan for 3 days, it's spread far and wide, with 3 days you can take it nice and easy.

The days relevant for you from trip logs would be from 12th to 15th.

Hope you have a nice trip.

--Ramky

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.R.S.Rao View Post
Looking for route details to Navagraha temples in TN., from Bangalore.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Abad-Tvm-Abad07.xls (76.5 KB, 1623 views)
Old 27th September 2010, 17:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
However, I need some help on staying a couple nights at Kombakonam or nearby places from where I can do the navagraha - I will have 2 days time to finish this.

1> Can someone give me a good route information - what route and in which order (is there a specific one??) we need to visit these temple - I heard these temples are closed between 12-4, hence I need to plan this so that I make use of those four hours in travelling
2> Staying options in Kombakonam
Ketan,

I strongly recommend you to to stay in kumbakonam, which is centre town for all 9 navagraha temples. There are couple of temples in opposite direction, than the rest of navagraha temples, so that way kumbakonam is better choice.

You can stay in Hotel Rayas or Hotel Aditya in Kumbakonam, which are decent and good enough. PM me, if you want more details.

In two full days (excluding to & fro from bangalore), you can easily cover all 9 temples, but i suggest, don't just stick with these 9 temples alone. You have many good temples to see very nearby to navagraha temples. Its better to visit them too. Some local travel operators cover all 9 temples in 1 day from morning till night, but that will be a rush-rush type visit. Don't go for it. You won't be able to see each temple thoroughly. So take two full days to see all these 9 temples and few other temples which interests you.

You may not need sat guide, because you can get information easily from local people when you ask. The below links will be helpful.

For route information, there are already many threads in team-bhp regarding the routes. If you still need more info, let me know.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2079456.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2076579

If you return to bangalore via Tanjore/Trichy, then you can cover Tanjore Big Temple as well. This week, they are celebrating its 1000 years anniversary. Its good time to go and see that architecture marvel !

-Ravi
Old 27th September 2010, 19:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

^Thank you Ravi,

I was just watching that 1000 Yr celebration on TV news at Tanjore.

>> Day-1 >> We are planning to leave at around 12PM on Friday, hopefully we can visit Thiruvannamalai on our way to Kumbakonam
>> Day-2&3 >> 2 days for Navagraha (If I can complete it in 1.5 days, I may have half a day for other interesting temples around, but I'm yet to find out them since I dont know what are oter interesting places around!)
>> Day-4 >> Leave early from Kumbakonam and visit The big temple at Tanjore on our way back to bangalore

Does this look ok? I will start searching other threads and maps to find out best routes.
Can someone also confirm if I can drive my own vehicle to these 9 temples around Kumbakonam? Are those roads drivable for PalioD? I hope I dont have to hire a vehicle.
Old 27th September 2010, 20:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

@Ketan - You've another option; you can visit all the Navagraha temples in one day & the next day you can spend visiting other temples around Kumbakonam such as Swami Malai, Saarangapani temple etc. It would be little hectic, so if you can hire a car locally, they would take care of parking, food accomodation & know all the local village route.

If you were to do it in 2 days, it would take about 500+ Kms, however, if you leave it to them, they would take care in less than 300 Kms & one day. Choice is yours.
Old 27th September 2010, 22:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
>> Day-1 >> We are planning to leave at around 12PM on Friday, hopefully we can visit Thiruvannamalai on our way to Kumbakonam
>> Day-2&3 >> 2 days for Navagraha (If I can complete it in 1.5 days, I may have half a day for other interesting temples around, but I'm yet to find out them since I dont know what are oter interesting places around!)
>> Day-4 >> Leave early from Kumbakonam and visit The big temple at Tanjore on our way back to bangalore

Does this look ok?
Yes, looks good. But couple of more suggestions.
On day 1, if you leave at 12 noon, watch out for more crowd in Thiruvannamalai temple if you are going on a weekend. That will make you to drive after sunset for most of the distance and end up reaching very late at Kumbakonam (aka KMU) because of two lane road after Trichy, which may impact you to start early next day for navagraha temples. Other choice is to do this on the way back to Bangalore. Just a thought.

On Day 2 & 3: I would like to list few important temples (not to addup too many), which you can cover along the way you visit navagraha temples. (Refer to the Rajmala maps link i sent. It tells you the nearby temples list for each navagraha temple). Make your choice, depending on the time availablity, but don't get delayed to navagraha temples, because of visiting these temples.
I listed few from top of my head...

1) On the way to Suriyanar Koil (about 15 kms from KMU) & Sukran temple in kanjanur => Thiruveesanallur Sivan temple at 9th km in poompuhar road from KMU.
2) You can cover Sevvai temple in Vaitheeswaran koil, Budhan temple in Thirvenkadu, Kethu temple in Keezhaperumpallam in one linear go and visit famous Thirukadayur Abhirami temple before going to Sanishwara temple in Karaikal.
3) On the way back from Karikal, see Raaghu Temple in Thirunageswaram (7 kms from KMU) and visit famous Oppliappan temple which is just 1 km away from Raaghu temple.
5) Near Thingalur => Visit Thiruvaiyaru temple and Saint Thygaraja samathi ( great musician). Thingalur is the one temple which is opposite direction towards Tanjore than the rest, which you have to do it on Day3.

-Ravi
Old 28th September 2010, 11:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

Ketan,

Do post your logs once you covered it. I have personally driven these roads, it would be a great feat if you can see all the Navagraha Temples and others even in 2 and half days.

Driving to ALL these temples is OK in a Palio, but do the routing in advance, you would be on a tight frame and loss of way would zap precious time. Many prefer taxis as the drivers would know the quickest routes and timings / days of temples. If you fix the deal with them, they would take you through the back doors / side doors straight to the diety even if there's a crowd.

The probles I faced were the crows in some temples; as I had fixed a deal with a guide, he quickly made darshans possible and we could move from one temple to another fast. As you know some Grahas have special days and if you land in one of those days, queue can be big.

==Ramky

Quote:
^Thank you Ravi,

I was just watching that 1000 Yr celebration on TV news at Tanjore.

Does this look ok? I will start searching other threads and maps to find out best routes.
Can someone also confirm if I can drive my own vehicle to these 9 temples around Kumbakonam? Are those roads drivable for PalioD? I hope I dont have to hire a vehicle.
Old 29th September 2010, 14:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Sure, I will have one of my friends to find out if I can hire a guide at KMU who can guide me effectively thru all these temples and also know how not to waste time (getting quick entry et all) while visiting these temples - the focus will be to finish those 9 temples in 2 days and cover most others in the vicinity (I wish I had my Scorp buying plan executed by this time, it would have helped - no worries, will get an opportunity to visit next time for sure). If any of you knows a good guy who can guide us thru these two days, will be a great help (we may have to ride a bit cramped while guide accompany us these two days).

I have another question now, with this Ayodhya verdict on Thursday, how does it look like for me leaving on Friday!!!
Are any of these areas considered sensitive!! Is it safe to leave on Thursday or Friday (Sept 30 or Oct 1)?
Old 29th September 2010, 14:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

Wait till the verdict is out and one day more, you never know with politics what can happen....... public inconvenience and safety is the last item on their list, if at all.

In the meantime, you can go through my extensive logs here on the same circuit:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...gy-abad-3.html

---
Quote:
Sure, I will have one of my friends to find out if I can hire a guide at KMU who can guide me effectively thru all these temples and also know how not to waste time (getting quick entry et all) while visiting these temples - the focus will be to finish those 9 temples in 2 days and cover most others in the vicinity (I wish I had my Scorp buying plan executed by this time, it would have helped - no worries, will get an opportunity to visit next time for sure). If any of you knows a good guy who can guide us thru these two days, will be a great help (we may have to ride a bit cramped while guide accompany us these two days).

I have another question now, with this Ayodhya verdict on Thursday, how does it look like for me leaving on Friday!!!
Are any of these areas considered sensitive!! Is it safe to leave on Thursday or Friday (Sept 30 or Oct 1)?
Old 6th October 2010, 16:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

@Ketan, did you cover the places last weekend? Post us an update...

-Ravi
Old 3rd November 2014, 13:13   #14
BANNED

Re: Navagraha temples route from Bangalore

Guys,

We covered all 9 temples in one day, Drive was literally a marathon.

Left Bangalore - 7.30pm on 31st night.

3 Men in total, 2 can drive.

2 days.

1250kms.

Passed thru Karnataka-Tamilnadu-Pondicherry-Tamilnadu-Karnataka.

Roads are crude after Trichy.

Used a Bolero storm, driven via Trichy to Thingaloor(Moon temple) via Kallanai.Took bath in cauvery river flowing near by Tyagraja Mutt before moon temple.

Then driven to Guru temple via kumbakonam followed by Rahu,Suryan,Venus,Mars temples then Lunch.

Post lunch, completed Mercury,Ketu and Saturn.

Halted at Karikal on 1st night.Started 9am on 2nd and Reached Bangalore on 2nd by 7pm.

No Guide facility taken.

Completed all 9 temples which included offering at Rahu,Ketu,Mercury & Lunch by 7Pm.

Last edited by Rajith : 3rd November 2014 at 13:15.
Old 4th November 2014, 09:17   #15
Team-BHP Support

Re: Navagraha temples route from Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Passed thru Karnataka-Tamilnadu-Pondicherry-Tamilnadu-Karnataka.
You should have taken Salem-Namakkal-Trichy. Pondicherry option is way too long. (Or is it you had a vacation at Pondichery before your temple visit?)
If you go via Tanjore you get Trichy-Tanjore 4-lane.
Quote:
Used a Bolero storm, driven via Trichy to Thingaloor(Moon temple) via Kallanai.Took bath in cauvery river flowing near by Tyagraja Mutt before moon temple.
Is the Kallanai road good? Around Thiruvaiyur it is way too congested with big trucks hogging all the road. Also good to hear Cauvery has water downstream, thanks to the rains. I saw Cauvery totally dry at Srirangam.

Quote:
Then driven to Guru temple via kumbakonam followed by Rahu,Suryan,Venus,Mars temples then Lunch.
Post lunch, completed Mercury,Ketu and Saturn.
There is Kumbakonam bypass for Alangudi. Thats only problem. Did you face any traffic ?

Last edited by ampere : 4th November 2014 at 09:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks