Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2017, 07:54   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If temple visits are at the core of the drives, I hope you have taken into account the temple timings. Because if temples indeed are the reason, I am sure 3 days wont be enough.
Thanks for the reply.

Temple visit is the core objective but for the archeological and architectural interests. So we think the timings are not relevant.
Old 6th February 2017, 08:17   #152
Team-BHP Support

Re: Chennai - Madurai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Temple visit is the core objective but for the archeological and architectural interests. So we think the timings are not relevant.
If thats case then I would suggest focus more on a region than going a longer span. Because you may not be able to spend time more at one place.

Off the below list:

Kollam-Trichy- Thanjavur-Kubakonam-Chidambaram-Pondy-Mammalapuram- Mahabalipuram-Kollam

Trichy : Srirangam and Thiruvanaikaval are good to visit.
Kumbakonam : There are some huge and beautiful structures here. (Darasuram should be on the list for sure)

If you keep your base here, you can look at Gangaikonda Cholapuram and Chidambaram.

Agreed Mahabalipuram is a good. But some how I still feel you would be stretching especially since you take a lot of traffic to cross Cudallore/Pondicherry etc.

- D1 : Kollam-Trichy : About 8 hours (via Madurai). A 4AM start means you should be there by noon. Assume you spend the noon/evening visiting Srirangam and Thirvanaikaval and are done by 5/6, you can make it for night visit to Tanjore temple and be done for the day.

- D2: Start early to beat the morning traffic to be in Kumbakonam by 6. Depending on what temples you have on your list, you can plan. It can take easily take days to go around Kumbakonam depending on what all you want to visit. Assuming you want to visit Chidambaram, I would suggest keep Kumbakonam for half day and head to Chidambaram via Gangaikonda Cholapuram. (Its a must!). Stay for the night in Chidamabaram.

- D3 : Since you need to be back, you cannot proceed further but you need to return. Visit Chidambaram early morning and head back via Sirkazhi and brace yourself for a long drive home. (10+ hours)

Last edited by ampere : 6th February 2017 at 08:19.
Old 6th February 2017, 11:28   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If thats case then I would suggest focus more on a region than going a longer span. Because you may not be able to spend time more at one pla..........

..... back, you cannot proceed further but you need to return. Visit Chidambaram early morning and head back via Sirkazhi and brace yourself for a long drive home. (10+ hours)
Thanks for the detailed reply ampere. Will discuss with team and revert
Old 27th November 2021, 18:28   #154
BHPian

Is Madurai - Chennai okay to drive now with the flood/rain situation in Tamilnadu? asking for a friend, Thanks.
Old 29th November 2021, 11:18   #155
BHPian

My friend drove Madurai to Chennai yesterday, it was fine throughout. He was worried about the Floods/Rains situation in Tamilnadu.

Since he had to go to Siruseri (in south Chennai), he diverted from the 4-lane from Chengelput -> Thiruporur -> Kelambakkam -> Siruseri(Chennai).

These roads were excellent. It is a good idea since the regular 4-lane going inside Chennai via Guduvancherry -> Vandalur is infested with extreme traffic.
Old 4th September 2022, 20:33   #156
BHPian

I am planning a trip this week from Chennai to Madurai and back. Considering recent rains I am a bit concerned about the roads especially since part of my journey will be at night. Can someone please confirm how are the roads now?
Old 6th September 2022, 09:10   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
Considering recent rains
Madras-Madurai is hardly affected by these rains. The deluge season on the leeward side of Western Ghats is October to December.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 10:07   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Madras-Madurai is hardly affected by these rains. The deluge season on the leeward side of Western Ghats is October to December.
Thanks. I've been reading about unusually heavy rain in Madurai and flooding on Vaigai this year at this time of the year and hence wanted to check.
Old 9th September 2022, 10:10   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
Thanks. I've been reading about unusually heavy rain in Madurai and flooding on Vaigai this year at this time of the year and hence wanted to check.
The only worry at this time of the year for this part of Tamil Nadu is thunderstorms which typically happen when Southwest Monsoon is weak. The characterestic of these thunderstorms are spells of intense rains during the evening / night hours but will be very rarely widespread. The floods in Vaigai is an effect of the heavy rains in the catchment areas of Western Ghats.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 05:57   #160
BHPian

Hi
Any recent update on the Chennai - Tirunelveli route will be very helpful
Road conditions in general I am hearing are very good through out.
But any specific bad sections to be watchful ?

For example my friend did the Tiruchendur - Tirunelveli stretch last week and said it's pathetic due to the road expansion.

What's the average travel time to Tirunelveli if I start early morning from Chennai. Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 18:06   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mah45 View Post
Hi
Any recent update on the Chennai - Tirunelveli route will be very helpful
Road conditions in general I am hearing are very good through out.
But any specific bad sections to be watchful ?

For example my friend did the Tiruchendur - Tirunelveli stretch last week and said it's pathetic due to the road expansion.

What's the average travel time to Tirunelveli if I start early morning from Chennai. Thanks
I did the Tirunelveli -> Sattur stretch yesterday, it was superb.
Old 9th October 2022, 19:07   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You intend to drive to Tiruchendur or Tirunelveli?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mah45 View Post
Chennai - Tirunelveli
If you start at 4, you can reach Tirunelveli by 1330 with a breakfast stop.
Old 17th October 2022, 13:07   #163
BHPian

Hello all,

Just a general query since I haven't driven this route before. I was originally thinking I will go to Thekkady but that plan got dropped.

I am driving from Chennai to Madurai this Saturday with family. Taking the standard NH route. Being the weekend before Deepavali, I expect much more traffic, but I plan to start by 6:30AM and reach Madurai by 3 or 4pm latest. Does this seem realistic or should I start earlier?

On the way back, I am driving on Deepavali day, planning to get back to Chennai by 5pm. I do not expect too much traffic since it's a holiday but if I am wrong in my assumption, please let me know.

Also, question for anyone familiar with Madurai temples - how is the parking facility near major temples? Or is it better to leave the car in the hotel and do the visits using autos?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 17th October 2022, 14:44   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
Hello all,

Just a general query since I haven't driven this route before. I was originally thinking I will go to Thekkady but that plan got dropped.

I am driving from Chennai to Madurai this Saturday with family. Taking the standard NH route. Being the weekend before Deepavali, I expect much more traffic, but I plan to start by 6:30AM and reach Madurai by 3 or 4pm latest. Does this seem realistic or should I start earlier?

On the way back, I am driving on Deepavali day, planning to get back to Chennai by 5pm. I do not expect too much traffic since it's a holiday but if I am wrong in my assumption, please let me know.

Also, question for anyone familiar with Madurai temples - how is the parking facility near major temples? Or is it better to leave the car in the hotel and do the visits using autos?

Thanks in advance for your help!
I have been to MDU several times in the past. Unless there are any recent diversions, if you plan to start by 6:30 you can reach Madurai comfortably by 1:30 PM including breaks for breakfast. The only major bottleneck is bypassing Trichy. I am assuming that the holiday rush will be mostly on Friday evening/Saturday evening, might be wrong here
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 16:08   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
I am driving from Chennai to Madurai this Saturday with family.
On the way back, I am driving on Deepavali day
Pretty much worst days to travel. Return traffic atleast could be distributed. Onward would be awfully bad.

Chillout at home, choose some other weekend to be on road.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks