Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2011, 09:43   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Chennai - Madurai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
Now comes the big question, do I take the Fiesta or the Wagon R. Sheer driving pleasure would be Fiesta, but worried about the road conditions in and around Thekkady.
Fiesta for sure. Only 7 km between Lower Camp and Kumili are bad, remaining roads are a gem. By going through Dindigul, you'll avoid Madurai traffic all-together.

Quote:
This incident definitely looked like a sequence from Final destination.
I definitely won't take much chance with pedestrians crossing highway. Personally I flash my headlights and back off a little just in case I have to stop.
Old 13th September 2011, 10:02   #47
BHPian

I drove back last Mon and found the roads between Lower Camp and Kumily very good. I assume you are referring to the same 7 kms stretch. I believe is laid out new or am I missing something.
prabingade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2011, 10:30   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabingade View Post
I drove back last Mon and found the roads between Lower Camp and Kumily very good. I assume you are referring to the same 7 kms stretch. I believe is laid out new or am I missing something.
Mine is old update. Yes, it is the same 7 km ghat stretch am referring to. Its been in bad when I was regular ('87-'92) and recently (few months back as reported by Bangalore-Kottayam commuters ).
Old 19th September 2011, 12:18   #49
Senior - BHPian

Since we had a relevant discussion here last week, will post here..

A word of caution: Do not take the Dindigul-Theni stretch at night. Petrol bombs were hurled at buses last week, and one such before we passed through that stretch on late evening Friday. We didnt know it then, was told by a hotel guy, a day later at Thekkady. He said areas around Vathalagundu were sensitive. There was security almost every km on the way from Vathalagundu to Theni, buses were stopped and taken in convoy.

The so-called 4-laning of Dindigul-Theni was in progress. There were quite few diversions between Dindigul and Periyakulam. It was irritating to cross the stretch at night, especially when I didnt have much sleep the previous night. There were diversions on NH220 as well between Theni and Seelayampatti (20 kms). NH220 was much wider than NH49. The pedestrian and bike discipline though is terrible on NH220 than NH49. People simply have no care for their own lives nor others. Its many times worser than what we see in Madras or Bangalore. NH220 roads go from smooth to potholes/craters inside down. Nothing serious, but watchout as you drive.

pypkmsrikanth, It turned out to be rather easy to catch the Trichy-Dindigul highway Coming from Madras, there is a seperate exit for Dindigul (next after Pudukottai, Karaikudi), take that and then right at the signal. Going straight lands you in the old Madras-Trichy(NH45) and Trichy-Madurai (NH45B) intersection. Cross the bridge and you'll see an exit going left for Dindigul. Thats all, its one road all the way to Dindigul. Its tricky on return, look for a roundtana (there is only one all the way) take a right there and you'll land on the NH45-NH45B intersection. From there its one straight road to bypass.

Kumili ghat has improved from what i had last seen, but craters still exist in the last 2-3 km before Kumili.

One observation, Dindigul somehow doesn't deserve 4-laning at all. NH45 had so much of wrong side traffic. Its so unnerving to drive the Trichy-Dindigul stretch at 6-8pm
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2011, 06:47   #50
BHPian

Narayan, thanks for the info, this was very useful. I avoid long travels after 6:00 pm and hence I think it should be fine for me to take the Dindugal Theni route. I have one question through, you seem to have taken Dindugal - Theni route but make a mention of NH 49 and I believe it was just a reference.

Did you take your i10, how long did it take for the entire journey from Chennai to Thekkady, en route where did you have ur fuel breaks( both for the car and yourself)
Old 25th September 2011, 19:43   #51
Senior - BHPian

The road up to Trichy is quite good. If any one want to go to Theni or Rameswaram or Kanyakumari can start their journey early from Chrnnai and reach before dark. Beyond Trichy Dindigul road is like a single road for 8kms from the city. Beyond that the road is good and still some places are incomplete and you have to use one side for both up down vehicles is bit risky in the night. From Dindigul Theni also under construction. So day travel is the best and safer. Madurai or Trichy Rameswaram road is as it is and no plan of making or not started any four lane work.
Old 4th October 2011, 12:53   #52
Senior - BHPian

Making another road trip to Madurai on Thursday. As per plan stop over at Samayapuram temple and another visit of Srirangam and Thiruvanaikaval depends on rush and time factor. Then after lunch to Madurai and if possible have the dharshan of Meenakshi. After coming back I will post the road condition.
Old 4th October 2011, 16:10   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Making another road trip to Madurai on Thursday. As per plan stop over at Samayapuram temple and another visit of Srirangam and Thiruvanaikaval depends on rush and time factor. Then after lunch to Madurai and if possible have the dharshan of Meenakshi. After coming back I will post the road condition.
Covering 3 temples might be tight if you are starting morning from Madras. You might have to leave early like 4am that case.

- Samayapuram is pretty free even if you go in the evenings (we went on a similar Thursday last October).
- They put the screen on Tiruvanaikoil amman around 1130-1230 time, was stuck when i went in June. Closes around 1pm i guess
- Srirangam temple closes around 1230 and reopens at 230.

No big deal about road condtions!! If you can, can you spot some refuelling/hotels on Trichy-Madurai stretch there are quite a few food outlets that have mushroomed in Ulundurpet-Trichy though, not many good refueling points since the Ulundurpet BP. Had to fill at a COCO at 286th km from Madras (which is close to Samayapuram).

Quote:
how long did it take for the entire journey from Chennai to Thekkady, en route where did you have ur fuel breaks( both for the car and yourself)
way too many breaks i should say !!

Onward:
Madras: 1245pm
BPCL COCO (286th km): 430-445pm (had a coffee here)
TVS Tollgate - 530pm
4-lane start towards Dindigul - 620pm
caught NH45 towards theni around 745pm (stopped couple of times here for packed dinner and phone calls)
Theni (Western Gatz): 915pm

Theni: 930am
Thekkady: 1110am

Return:
Thekkady: 11am
turnoff to Kuchanur Saneeswarar temple (9km to Theni): 1215pm
Kuchanur temple: 1245pm
Theni: 115pm (lunch at Saravana Bhavan - not HSB) left like 145pm
stopped 15 min at a nursery near Vathalagundu
Trichy turnoff at Dindigul: 310 pm
TVS tollgate: 420pm
Tiruvanaikoil: 440pm (left around 520pm)
refueled at same place above: 6pm (and had snacks nearby and left like 630pm)
Ulundurpet A2B: 750pm (for dinner, left 820pm)
Madras - T.Nagar: 1110pm

Had purposefully delayed the return to enter city past 1030pm

Last edited by narayans80 : 4th October 2011 at 16:26.
Old 4th October 2011, 18:07   #54
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Narayan. I will start at 4 am on Thursday i e 6th Oct. Hope to reach Ulundurpet Arya's around 6.30. 6.30-6.45 Am for cofee. Direct to Samayapuram around 9.00 to 9.15 am. Generally Thiruvanaika is less crowd so next 10 to 11 there in Thiruvanaikaval. After that plan to have Dharshan of Ranganathar till 12.30(Special Dharshan) Lunch will be at New sangeetha near Trichy Bus stand. 1 am to 3 pm travel to madurai. having coffee in one of the restaurants in MaduraiMost probably hotel vasantham or KPS opposite to Periyar bus station. 4 to 5.30pm Meenakshi temple. Then on Friday early morning Dharshan at Kallalagar temple.
Old 10th October 2011, 12:05   #55
Senior - BHPian

The pilgrim was ocwr by startin at 5 Am in Chennai and reached for Breakfast at Ulundurpet Tollgate restaurent may be Aranyakas at 7.15. Started at 7.42 after breakfast and reached Samayapuram at 9 Am and had the Dharshan with in minutes and proceeded to Srirangam. We reached around10 Am but it was too much crowded for special Dharshan too Skipped off and had the Dharshan of Jambulingeswar and Akilandeswari in Tiruvanaikaval. Had lunch at Sri Sangeetha's near bus stand in Trichy and proceeded towards Melur and took the link road to Alagar Kovil and reached around 2.45 Pm. Staright went up to Nupuragangai and had bath and visited Pazhamudhircholai and came down and had the Dharshan of Kallalagar Sundaresar and moved to Madurai Teppakulam Mariamman temple and further to Tirupuvanam Madappuram. Had the Dharshan of Ambals. Next day went to Thiuvannamala near Srivilliputtur and had the Dharshan of Srinivasa perumal and returned back.
Old 10th October 2011, 15:39   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Theni (Western Gatz): 915pm
can you please let me know about this hotel.
Old 12th October 2011, 17:54   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanan.skr View Post
can you please let me know about this hotel.
Their site, you need any more details ?
Old 12th October 2011, 19:20   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Their site, you need any more details ?
Thanks Narayans80.

Do they have car parking within their campus?
How is the food served there or are there any other option inside Theni Town?
Is it worth paying 1000 bucks for a day in such a small town?
Old 12th October 2011, 23:34   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do they have car parking within their campus?
No in the campus, but a parking lot across the street thats owned by them. You can dropoff luggage at the main door and drive across.

Quote:
How is the food served there or are there any other option inside Theni Town?
Ive had their complimentary breakfast, its decent but nothing ground breaking. Even otherwise Theni is a small town and there are quite a few options around

Quote:
Is it worth paying 1000 bucks for a day in such a small town?
That you have to take a call on. I first stayed when i went to Munnar, considering expensive rates of Madurai hotels this looked rather affordable, checked in at 1am then. Their standard rooms are very good, clean and spacious. I've now stayed twice there and would highly recommend if you are ok spending pypkmsrikanth was the one who recommended me at the first place.
Old 13th October 2011, 11:59   #60
BHPian

Quote:
No in the campus, but a parking lot across the street thats owned by them. You can dropoff luggage at the main door and drive across.

Ive had their complimentary breakfast, its decent but nothing ground breaking. Even otherwise Theni is a small town and there are quite a few options around

That you have to take a call on. I first stayed when i went to Munnar, considering expensive rates of Madurai hotels this looked rather affordable, checked in at 1am then. Their standard rooms are very good, clean and spacious. I've now stayed twice there and would highly recommend if you are ok spending pypkmsrikanth was the one who recommended me at the first place.
narayans80, Thanks for the details.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks