Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2009, 09:55   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
Just back from Assam. Have done a Cal - Tezpur run (in bits and pieces) starting mid September, using different routes. Will add up/ collate the times and distances, and post.

There are various options for Siliguri to Tezpur, but your one does not seem optimal. Some discussion needed.

Regards
Sutripta
Thanks Surtripta, that will be most helpful.

@ SS-Traveler: Taking the road less travelled is not something we would want to do on such a long journey.

My present POA on the 'rowdy mamool' is to get down, smile and tell them "Smile you are on camera!" and proceed to record the whole proceedings on video and still cameras esp. our protests that we are only passing through and that we are being coerced to pay against our will. Or else consider paying and getting on with our journey. I mean why waste time on scumbags like crooked govt. functionaries.

Cheers,
Old 12th November 2009, 10:19   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
@ SS-Traveler: Taking the road less travelled is not something we would want to do on such a long journey.
Agreed - you really used the writing on my pic to good effect . But the query may still be of benefit to others entering OR from WB, in terms of saving on that tax. Inputs from members in that area are still welcome.
Old 12th November 2009, 10:26   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Agreed - you really used the writing on my pic to good effect . But the query may still be of benefit to others entering OR from WB, in terms of saving on that tax. Inputs from members in that area are still welcome.
I am glad and a wee bit embarssed that you noticed - I wrote that in a moment of impish impulse, I just could not resist it .

Of course, as you say, no bit of information ever goes waste. For this trip itself, we have picked up information on diverse sources.

Cheers,
Old 13th November 2009, 09:15   #94
Senior - BHPian

Errata

Quote:

Our programmme is as follows:

23.12.2009 06.00 am Depart Siliguri – Mal – Koch Bihar – Donkinamari – Pathsala – Nalbari – Rangia – Darrang – Tezpur. Night Halt Hotel JK, Tezpur.

29.12.2009 6.00 am Leave Dirang / Bomdila and drive to Tezpur. Night halt at Hotel JK. (If we have a day extra due to reaching Tezpur on 28.12 let us take a call on what to do then.)
Errata:

For Tezpur read as follows:

23.12.2009 06.00 am Depart Siliguri – Mal – Koch Bihar – Donkinamari – Pathsala – Nalbari – Rangia – Darrang – Tezpur. Night Halt Hotel KF, Tezpur.

and

29.12.2009 6.00 am Leave Dirang / Bomdila and drive to Tezpur. Night halt at Hotel KF. (If we have a day extra due to reaching Tezpur on 28.12 let us take a call on what to do then.)

I guess my visits to the Tyres and alloys section coupled with the fear of being handed out an infraction led me to write JK instead of KF. LOL.

Now that all the bookings are done, I have got butterflies in my stomach. Sometimes, just reading that itinerary makes me tired!

Cheers,
Old 13th November 2009, 21:56   #95
BHPian

Quote:

No. of vehicles is two. A Laura (Cappuchino Beige) and a Linea FIRE (Red).
Arey uncle ,what happened to the jugaad ? i thought we were getting the c class by then.
Old 13th November 2009, 22:30   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am glad and a wee bit embarssed that you noticed - I wrote that in a moment of impish impulse, I just could not resist it .
Don't be! It's perfectly fine. The roads less travelled are really this kind...
AP to AP queries (Hyd-Vtz-Barddhaman-Siuri-Maldah-Siliguri-Tezpur-Tawang-Shillong)-road-less-travelled.jpg
Quote:
I have got butterflies in my stomach. Sometimes, just reading that itinerary makes me tired!
Don't worry, you'll be at your freshest when you actually hit the road. Wishing you advance bon voyage.
Old 14th November 2009, 01:51   #97
adc
Senior - BHPian

With VTT case in all probability coming to an end, here's tentative dates and places we have. Dates may change depending upon the work situation, but this schedule is more or less finalized. Not doing any booking in any hotels due to uncertainty of dates.

22/12[d]-23/12[a]:
8.00 pm depart Kolkata, reaching Guwahati at 6 pm on 23/12.

24/12: Depart Guwahati for Dirang/Bomdilla. Night halt at any one place.

25/12, 26/12, and 27/12: Tawang and surroundings

28/12 and 29/12: Eagle Nest [Tawang to Eagle nest]

30/12 and 31/12: Pakke National Park/Orang National Park

1/1/10: Siliguri night halt [Pakke/Orang to Siliguri]

2/1/10: Siliguri morning start to reach Calcutta by evening.

Ravveendrra we should be then meeting you and your whole gang up in Dirang [if dont stop at Bomdila], definitely in Tawang, and most probably the return journey to Calcutta is done together like. Hate to come back on that road at daylight hours [and you would all - too much traffic,van rickshaw type, cycle], but then have some urgent work on Sunday morning itself.

Sutripta shortly will be posting some vital info on Siliguri-Guwahati route and also Tezpur side conditions. That will be eagerly awaited by all of us.

Last edited by adc : 14th November 2009 at 01:59.
Old 14th November 2009, 09:23   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
Arey uncle ,what happened to the jugaad ? i thought we were getting the c class by then.
LOL Rajesh, The first part of the jugaad did not work, i.e. no cash and the buyer for the Tank did not materialise in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Don't be! It's perfectly fine. The roads less travelled are really this kind...

Don't worry, you'll be at your freshest when you actually hit the road. Wishing you advance bon voyage.
Thanks, for the good wishes. The thing with roads like that is that they lead to the most amazing places. I think it is time for me to get a nice SUV with 4X4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
With VTT case in all probability coming to an end, here's tentative dates and places we have. Dates may change depending upon the work situation, but this schedule is more or less finalized. Not doing any booking in any hotels due to uncertainty of dates.

22/12[d]-23/12[a]: 8.00 pm depart Kolkata, reaching Guwahati at 6 pm on 23/12.

24/12: Depart Guwahati for Dirang/Bomdilla. Night halt at any one place.

25/12, 26/12, and 27/12: Tawang and surroundings

28/12 and 29/12: Eagle Nest [Tawang to Eagle nest]

30/12 and 31/12: Pakke National Park/Orang National Park

1/1/10: Siliguri night halt [Pakke/Orang to Siliguri]

2/1/10: Siliguri morning start to reach Calcutta by evening.

Ravveendrra we should be then meeting you and your whole gang up in Dirang [if dont stop at Bomdila], definitely in Tawang, and most probably the return journey to Calcutta is done together like. Hate to come back on that road at daylight hours [and you would all - too much traffic,van rickshaw type, cycle], but then have some urgent work on Sunday morning itself.

Sutripta shortly will be posting some vital info on Siliguri-Guwahati route and also Tezpur side conditions. That will be eagerly awaited by all of us.
This is absolutely lovely. Our schedules for Tawang and the drive back to CCU from Siliguri match perfectly. It will be lovely to hook up. We shall remain in touch.

Cheers,
Old 15th November 2009, 09:47   #99
BHPian

see u guys in Kolkata

wishing Arun a speedy recovery

Nazim thanks for the update.

And the roads are smooth till siliguri (via NH34) but full of cycle vans.

Just sharing the current trip picture of my North East Trip

See U Guys in Kolkata or on NH2
Attached Thumbnails
AP to AP queries (Hyd-Vtz-Barddhaman-Siuri-Maldah-Siliguri-Tezpur-Tawang-Shillong)-jkdxtjl.jpg  

Old 15th November 2009, 13:39   #100
Senior - BHPian

" See U Guys in Kolkata or on NH2 "

BT, going by your propensity for instant travel plans, I think the latter is more possible
Old 17th November 2009, 12:52   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
Will add up/ collate the times and distances, and post.
Hi Guys,
What is the easiest way to compose something offline, and then post to this forum? Cut and paste from notepad?

Sutripta
Old 17th November 2009, 12:56   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
What is the easiest way to compose something offline, and then post to this forum? Cut and paste from notepad?

Sutripta
You can use word or any other editor.
Once done with the typing, copy paste entire text into notepad and again copy paste to the editor here!
Old 17th November 2009, 13:41   #103

tit bits

Hotel sinclair at siliguri Rs4000+. Better stay at Elephant camp Gorumara national park(40km from siliguri) 7 wooden cottage Rs2500/- all meal and elephant safari included.

Inner line permit(ILP) required for Arunachal, last place to get is Tezpur, same day, carry photos and photo id. cofirm if same rquired for your car.
Place u can stop in between Tezpur to Tawang are Bombdilla( dist Hq)
. Tenga- most beautiful valley but only one hotel. Dirang two hotel. Might have snow at Sela Pass(14000ft). carry medicine for high altitude sickness if haven't been to such altitude. There are 10hotels in Tawang take rooms which have heating by firewood and not heater as electricity is available only for few hours.

Best place to stay at Kaziranga is Bon Hapi close to Central gate entrance. you should keep atleast two days for Kaziranga.
Ps Iam not sure your trip is tempting. I might join from Kolkata
Old 17th November 2009, 22:00   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt J Mitra View Post
Hotel sinclair at siliguri Rs4000+. Better stay at Elephant camp Gorumara national park(40km from siliguri) 7 wooden cottage Rs2500/- all meal and elephant safari included.

Best place to stay at Kaziranga is Bon Hapi close to Central gate entrance. you should keep atleast two days for Kaziranga.
Ps Iam not sure your trip is tempting. I might join from Kolkata
Lots of options in Siliguri. Mainak (next to Central Plaza) has car parking on own grounds.

If you are talking of the Dhupjhora Elephant camp, then I beg to differ. To each his own, but I consider it a ripoff.

There is a Sinclairs at Chalsa.

Kaziranga:- Wild Grass.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 17th November 2009, 22:52   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Did a Guwahati - Tezpur trip today..took me 2hrs 15mins. As I've said earlier, the road from Guwahati to Jagiroad is a mess with numerous potholes and diversions due to four laning..Raha(around 20km from Nagaon) to Tezpur, the road condition is good.

@Kaziranga..check out the new resorts..Iora/Grassland
and its not Bon hapi rather Bon Habi.."habi" is the assamese for jungle

P.S. Don't miss the right turn near Nagaon College enroute to Tezpur..if you continue straight(most people do) you will end up in Dimapur.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks