Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2009, 11:31   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
" See U Guys in Kolkata or on NH2 "

BT, going by your propensity for instant travel plans, I think the latter is more possible
Actually Yes.

And Who Knows if I bump into the gang at EITHER of the AP itself.

There are trips piled up. Lotsa them.

BTW Central Plaza at Siliguri is the best choice. I managed to get a hefty 40% discount on room tariff courtesy my DRIVOBLOG sticker.
Old 18th November 2009, 12:45   #107
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I was taking a break from TBHP and this thread for a few days but am back now. It was lovely reading all the new posts.

@ btirthankar: Hey, it will be lovely meeting you again, even if it for a few minutes on some highway! Thanks for the tip on Hotel Cental Plaza, I am bad at bargaining so would get Arun & Chetan to do the talking.

@ Vnabhi: LOL - my thoughts exactly. As Tirtankar popinted out, we just might meet him in Hyderabad before December.

@ Sutripta: About typing off-line you can do what Pulsar suggested i.e. type in Word etc., cut paste into notepad (to get rid of all the formatting stuff that TBHP rejects) and then cut paste into the typing window in TBHP. I am too lazy to do that so I just type it into notepad (no Wordpad) and cut paste it into TBHP.

I sure hope you get the hang of it soon as a lot of people are waiting for your updates on road conditons in that part of the world!

@ Capt. J. Mitra: Thanks for your pointers Capt. esp. the ones on firewood and Kaziranga.

If you can join us, there will be nothing like it.

@ RobiMahanta: Thanks for those updates on roads.

I have been trying to chalk out detailed plans for each day using Google Earth but, the images there seem totally outdated. Does anyone here know how old those images are?

For now, we will have to use HVK's logs for guidance on road conditions, driving times etc. Thanks again Chief.

Cheers,
Old 18th November 2009, 21:50   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
@ Sutripta: About typing off-line you can do what Pulsar suggested i.e. type in Word etc., cut paste into notepad (to get rid of all the formatting stuff that TBHP rejects) and then cut paste into the typing window in TBHP. I am too lazy to do that so I just type it into notepad (no Wordpad) and cut paste it into TBHP.
Actually adding distances and times taking longer than expected. Guess this weekend. Also thought I'd get someone else to do the clerical work, and just post the results. So the question about offline composing. Copy and paste from Notepad will possibly result in word wrap going for a six. Also what does this forum expect:- CR, LF, or CR LF?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 19th November 2009, 23:25   #109
BHPian

Just read through and as expected everything is in control by Sargent Ravvs .

Permits are being processed as we discuss.They taking time due to the Holy man's visit and hence I've withheld their submission until his leaving.
Old 20th November 2009, 11:51   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Actually adding distances and times taking longer than expected. Guess this weekend. Also thought I'd get someone else to do the clerical work, and just post the results. So the question about offline composing. Copy and paste from Notepad will possibly result in word wrap going for a six. Also what does this forum expect:- CR, LF, or CR LF?

Regards
Sutripta
Figures can be a pain (unless they are the right kind ). Take your time.

The last past of your post - the CR, LF, CR LF bit kinda flew over my head. You might get more information on the announcements section though.

From the practical viewpoint - Editors like Word etc. put in formatting and font tags. Copying the document into notepad loses the tags. This forum demands that the text have no tags for formatting, colour or font. Since the move into notepad automatically gets rid of those tags, one can cut paste from notepad directly into the text input box here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Just read through and as expected everything is in control by Sargent Ravvs .

Permits are being processed as we discuss.They taking time due to the Holy man's visit and hence I've withheld their submission until his leaving.
Thanks mate.

@ Chief (HVK) and Route Gurus,

I have been chalking out the detailed route notes for our trip. I managed to do days 1, 2 and 3. For day 4 i.e. Siliguri to Tezpur, the 100 km extra travelling via Cooch Bihar on the NH 31 makes eminent sense.

I am clear on the Cooch Bihar to Tezpur bit, (via. Maraganj, Tufangunj, Bhanukumari (Boxirhat), Gauripur, Balajan, Bilasipari, Chapar, Uttar Salamara, Abhayapuri, Kabaitari, Islampara, Naranarayan Bridge, Agia, Krishnai, Dhupdhara, Boko, Guwahati Apt., Dharapur, Guwahati Univ, Saraighat Bridge, Changsari, Dorakahara, Deuduwar, Baihata Chariali, Duminichowki, Mangaldoi (Darrang), Balugaon, Dalgaon, Orang & Sirajuli).

I am stuck on which of the alternate routes to take to get to Cooch Bihar.

There are 3 routes. The first two are via Sevoke and the famous Coronation bridge.

The first is via Sevoke, Coronation bridge, Chalsa, turn right at Goyerkata, Dhupgari, Falakata, Mathura, Cooch Bihar. A variation of this is Sevoke, Coronation Bridge, Chalsa, Goyerkata, turn right at Biparia, Joteswar Hat, Falakata, Mathura - Cooch Bihar.

The second is via Sevoke, Coronation bridge, turn right at Chalsa, Mainaguri, Dhupgari, Falakata, Mathura, Cooch Bihar.

The third is via Jalpaiguri (BP), Mainaguri, Dhupgari, Falakata, Mathura - Cooch Bihar.

All three routes seem to be in the 90 to 120 Km range. Which is the best route to take to get to Cooch Bihar? Since we can leave pretty early in the morning we could cut through Siliguri town to take the Jalpaiguri route. We are staying in Central Plaza which is on the highway going to Gangtok, Guwahati etc. If 31/31C is four laned for the first bit then it might make sense to stick to it for its good stretches and then turn off for Cooch Bihar to avoid the bad parts.

Looking forward to your guidance. Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Old 20th November 2009, 11:57   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am clear on the Cooch Bihar to Tezpur bit, (via. Maraganj, Tufangunj, Bhanukumari (Boxirhat), Gauripur, Balajan, Bilasipari, Chapar, Uttar Salamara, Abhayapuri, Kabaitari, Islampara, Naranarayan Bridge, Agia, Krishnai, Dhupdhara, Boko, Guwahati Apt., Dharapur, Guwahati Univ, Saraighat Bridge, Changsari, Dorakahara, Deuduwar, Baihata Chariali, Duminichowki, Mangaldoi (Darrang), Balugaon, Dalgaon, Orang & Sirajuli).

I am stuck on which of the alternate routes to take to get to Cooch Bihar.

There are 3 routes. The first two are via Sevoke and the famous Coronation bridge.

The first is via Sevoke, Coronation bridge, Chalsa, turn right at Goyerkata, Dhupgari, Falakata, Mathura, Cooch Bihar. A variation of this is Sevoke, Coronation Bridge, Chalsa, Goyerkata, turn right at Biparia, Joteswar Hat, Falakata, Mathura - Cooch Bihar.

The second is via Sevoke, Coronation bridge, turn right at Chalsa, Mainaguri, Dhupgari, Falakata, Mathura, Cooch Bihar.

The third is via Jalpaiguri (BP), Mainaguri, Dhupgari, Falakata, Mathura - Cooch Bihar.

All three routes seem to be in the 90 to 120 Km range. Which is the best route to take to get to Cooch Bihar? Since we can leave pretty early in the morning we could cut through Siliguri town to take the Jalpaiguri route. We are staying in Central Plaza which is on the highway going to Gangtok, Guwahati etc. If 31/31C is four laned for the first bit then it might make sense to stick to it for its good stretches and then turn off for Cooch Bihar to avoid the bad parts.

Looking forward to your guidance. Thanks in advance.

Cheers
I would prefer either R1 or R2, since R3 has lots of truck traffic, being the bypass for Siliguri. However, Sutripta is the expert and am sure he will have the final say. I have found the initial few kms out of Sevoke (after Coronation Bridge) always bad - 3/3 times I have driven that road!
Old 20th November 2009, 15:01   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I would prefer either R1 or R2, since R3 has lots of truck traffic, being the bypass for Siliguri. However, Sutripta is the expert and am sure he will have the final say. I have found the initial few kms out of Sevoke (after Coronation Bridge) always bad - 3/3 times I have driven that road!
Thanks for the heads up Mr. Kumar. Frequent traveller on these roads: - yes. Expert: - Wouldn't claim so.

My preferred route (there are two) takes you off the NH. So might not be advisable for tourists, but here goes

Jpg Tista Bridge Mainaguri Falakata. Then continue straight to Alipur Duar, and further to a place called Kamakhyaguri. This is what I normally follow.

Now you have a choice of turning left or right.

Right will take you via RasikBil to NH31 just short of Boxirhat. This avoids some bad patches (and the resulting bunched up traffic) near CoochBehar.
Left will take you to NH31C just short of Barobisa. You can continue along NH31C, or the tricky bit. (No signposts, minor roads). (NB. These minor roads have NO scenic advantage whatsoever).

Slightly after Srirampur, you will get Gossaigaon. Just after that, there is a turnoff which takes you to Dotma, Kokrajhar, and onto NH31 at Bahalpur, which is slightly beyond Chapar.

Normally, I would say take the southern route (Jpg - Dhupguri - Falakata - Coochbehar - NH31 - NH31B - NH37 - NH31 - NH52)
BUT I was adding up the times, and until and unless I've made a mistake, the northern route (NH31C - NH31 - NH52 seems to be faster, in spite of the bad roads. So much for perceptions and figures.

Siliguri: Normally I bypass it (GhoshPukur to Phulbari), but since that is a night halt....
Anyway, Central Plaza is on HC Road, within a couple of hundred m of NH31. For Jpg, get out of CP, turn left, cross Mahananda, then take right hand fork. Try to do it before 9. The road is not really signposted, but essentially only three places where you can go wrong. At Belakoba, keep right. For Jpg bypass, keep left. For Mainaguri bypass, keep right. At Dhupguri, turn right 90 deg for Falakata.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 20th November 2009, 18:27   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Thanks for the heads up Mr. Kumar. Frequent traveller on these roads: - yes. Expert: - Wouldn't claim so.

My preferred route (there are two) takes you off the NH. So might not be advisable for tourists, but here goes

Jpg Tista Bridge Mainaguri Falakata. Then continue straight to Alipur Duar, and further to a place called Kamakhyaguri. This is what I normally follow.

Now you have a choice of turning left or right.

Right will take you via RasikBil to NH31 just short of Boxirhat. This avoids some bad patches (and the resulting bunched up traffic) near CoochBehar.
Left will take you to NH31C just short of Barobisa. You can continue along NH31C, or the tricky bit. (No signposts, minor roads). (NB. These minor roads have NO scenic advantage whatsoever).

Slightly after Srirampur, you will get Gossaigaon. Just after that, there is a turnoff which takes you to Dotma, Kokrajhar, and onto NH31 at Bahalpur, which is slightly beyond Chapar.

Normally, I would say take the southern route (Jpg - Dhupguri - Falakata - Coochbehar - NH31 - NH31B - NH37 - NH31 - NH52)
BUT I was adding up the times, and until and unless I've made a mistake, the northern route (NH31C - NH31 - NH52 seems to be faster, in spite of the bad roads. So much for perceptions and figures.

Siliguri: Normally I bypass it (GhoshPukur to Phulbari), but since that is a night halt....
Anyway, Central Plaza is on HC Road, within a couple of hundred m of NH31. For Jpg, get out of CP, turn left, cross Mahananda, then take right hand fork. Try to do it before 9. The road is not really signposted, but essentially only three places where you can go wrong. At Belakoba, keep right. For Jpg bypass, keep left. For Mainaguri bypass, keep right. At Dhupguri, turn right 90 deg for Falakata.

Regards
Sutripta
Thank you sir,

So we basically go through Siliguri town early morning and pass Jalpaiguri, thereafter we get onto NH 31 and continue straight onto 31C. After that we take a call on whether to turn right at Alipurduar (or is that turn at Kamakhyaguri on 31C) to get to Boxirhat or go on to Gossaigaon to take a right and land up after Chapar. Both sound good and would cut at least 60 km from my planned route yesterday.

We would prefer better surfaced roads any day as we would still have about 4000 km to do before we get home! So if you can tell us the bad patches to avoid we would be grateful. Arun has satellite based GPS on his phone and I plan to buy a MMI loaded Garmin device so we should not go too far off-course.

Am I correct in understanding that the bit after Gossaigaon is when 31C becomes really bad.

Another idea just struck me. Perhaps we should shift our night halt from Siliguri to Jalpaiguri. Any suggestions on hotels?

Thanks again and cheers.
Old 20th November 2009, 20:14   #114
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
In reverse order

Quote:
Another idea just struck me. Perhaps we should shift our night halt from Siliguri to Jalpaiguri. Any suggestions on hotels?
Jalpaiguri: 3 hotels essentially. Tourist Lodge (called Tista Prajyotok), Hotel Safari, and Pritam (might have the spelling wrong). The tourist lodge has car parking on its own grounds, and is easy to access from the bypass. Also online booking.

Quote:
Am I correct in understanding that the bit after Gossaigaon is when 31C becomes really bad.
Generally bad. Some parts esp. so.

Quote:
We would prefer better surfaced roads any day as we would still have about 4000 km to do before we get home! So if you can tell us the bad patches to avoid we would be grateful. Arun has satellite based GPS on his phone and I plan to buy a MMI loaded Garmin device so we should not go too far off-course.
Then its a no brainer. Jalpaiguri - Kamakhyaguri - Boxirhat - NH31 - NH31B - NH37 - NH31 - NH52. Not possible to have only good surfaces. Like life, you have to take the smooth with the rough!

The maps of East/ NE India are hilariously bad. Beware.
GPS for navigation in this part of the country: not very useful. As a recorder of your trips/ geotagging:- excellent. Which model do you have?

Simply put, there are only 2 (+1/2) roads running E-W. This is because the minor rivers run N-S, so any E-W road has to keep crossing these. Similarly, there are lots of N-S roads connecting these two roads. And the shortest distance is followed by the railway line. Keep these facts in mind, and you won't get lost for very long. Only one has to be aware (local knowledge) of the state of all the minor bridges.

Quote:
So we basically go through Siliguri town early morning and pass Jalpaiguri, thereafter we get onto NH 31 and continue straight onto 31C. After that we take a call on whether to turn right at Alipurduar (or is that turn at Kamakhyaguri on 31C) to get to Boxirhat or go on to Gossaigaon to take a right and land up after Chapar. Both sound good and would cut at least 60 km from my planned route yesterday.
Yes and No. Now suggested route avoids NH31C. Slightly longer than the Gossaigaon - Dotma - Kokrajhar - Bahalpur route.
Dhupguri - Falakata - ApDuar - Kamakhyaguri runs W-E parallel to and south of NH31C (if one goes by conventional nomenclature. The E-W corridor has been realigned in this sector (Dhupguri - ApDuar is now part of the alignment), and road nomenclature, and chainages have gone for a six.)
Falakata onwards, at any major point, you can go north to meet NH31c, or south to meet NH31.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 21st November 2009, 01:26   #115
adc
Senior - BHPian

Sutripta what will be average driving time from Siliguri to Guwahati?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Did a Guwahati - Tezpur trip today..took me 2hrs 15mins. As I've said earlier, the road from Guwahati to Jagiroad is a mess with numerous potholes and diversions due to four laning..Raha(around 20km from Nagaon) to Tezpur, the road condition is good.
@mahanta and @suptripta

For this route, how is the road condition like and the driving time that will be required?

Guwahati to Tezpur: National Highway No. 31 via Jalukbari upto Baihata Chariali and NH 52 from Baihata Chariali via Mangaldoi. Distance : 181 kms
Old 21st November 2009, 01:43   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post

For this route, how is the road condition like and the driving time that will be required?

Guwahati to Tezpur: National Highway No. 31 via Jalukbari upto Baihata Chariali and NH 52 from Baihata Chariali via Mangaldoi. Distance : 181 kms
I did the Guwahati-Siliguri drive in April and here are the distances/timings:

Guwahati-Siliguri

Guwahati/Jalukhbari, 0 kms, 1230 pm
Dudnai, 105 kms, 200 pm
Naranarayana Setu (Goalpara Bypass), 147 kms, 240 pm
North Salamara, 170 kms, 300 pm
Ghauripur, 265 kms, 435 pm
Boxirhat, 305 kms, 530 pm
Cooch Behar, 340 kms, 600 pm
Falakata, 380 kms, 650 pm
Drupuguri, 400 kms, 700 pm
Fulbari, 475 kms, 915 pm
(Fulbari is a suburb of Siliguri)
This meant I covered 475 kms in 8.45 hrs on some very congested WB roads, latter part in peak evening traffic and with election campaigning on in every village square!
Roads are very narrow in Cooch Behar and Jalpaiguri districts.
Outstanding road condition
Facilities (except Petrol pumps) are poor

Guwahati-Tezpur

Jalukhbari, 0, 1230 pm
Baihata Chariali, 25 kms, 130 pm
Mangaldai, 60 kms, 200 pm
Orang, 120 kms, 255 pm
Tezpur, 175 kms, 410 pm
175 kms in 3.40 hrs
There are several small towns which you have to trawl through, which delay you, but for most part it is a delightful and fast drive.
Outstanding road condition
Facilities (except Petrol pumps) are poor
Old 21st November 2009, 02:05   #117
adc
Senior - BHPian

HVK thats a very quick reply at this late hour! Thanks so much, this will be a help to one and all travelling this route in the coming months - valuable info with time.

So a Cal-Guwahati is possible in 22 [10+9] hours like, with a power nap and stoppage time of 3 hrs.
Old 21st November 2009, 05:27   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Tezpur - Baihata Charali - Jhalukbari 3:50. Not in a hurry driving. Xylo.
Add time for Jhalukbari - Guwahati.

For Phulbari - Jpg - CoochBehar - Jogigopa - Jhalukbari, I would say 9:30. But let me add up my times after removing redundant and backtracked portions.

Sutripta
Old 21st November 2009, 15:50   #119
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Sutripta & HVK,

Now I am torn between three routings:

1. Alipur Duar - Kamakhyagiri (R) - Rasik Bil - Boxirhat. For the better surface and less wear & tear on cars esp. suspension.

2. Alipur Duar - Kamakhyagiri - Gossaigaon - Kolobari (R) - Dotma - Fakiragram - Pakirtol (L) - Kokrajhar (R) - Bahalpur.

3. One more route that I came across that seems shorter is: Alipur Duar - Kamakhyagiri - Gossaigaon (R) - Chautara - Sapatgram - Fakiragram (R) - Pakirtol (L) Kokhrajar (R) - Bahalpur. This route is shorter than route 1 i.e. Rasik Bil & Boxirhat route by about 50 km. and shorter than route 2 via Dotma by about 20 km. I do wonder what the condition of this road is. Perhaps, I should stick to the tried and tested routes i.e. 1 and 2.

LOL, maps are never accurate anywhere in India (much like our wayside guides). Only advantage is, it will tell us whether we are going in the right direction or not. I do not think we can navigate only by the GPS (at least for now) but it should keep us from getting hopelessly lost.

Thanks for your tips on the general layout of roads in that part of the world. The insights like the one about the railway tracks really helped me understand things better. My concern about the surface stems from the fact that though both cars are quite tough and handle bad roads pretty well, neither of them are 'roadside repair' friendly.

Thanks all of you for the insights into the approx. driving times. We now know exactly what we are up against and are bracing ourselves for a 14 to 16 hour day. Only saving grace is that the preceding day is relatively easy as we drive only from Siuri to Siliguri.

This is getting to be quite varied - Days 1 & 2 are really long, day 3 is relatively easy, day 4 is long again before 6 days of easy going stuff and then the mad rush home. Similarly day 1 is good roads, day 2 is horrible roads, day 3 is good roads, day 4 is a mix and match of good roads.

Cheers,
Old 21st November 2009, 18:39   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sutripta & HVK,

Now I am torn between three routings:

1. Alipur Duar - Kamakhyagiri (R) - Rasik Bil - Boxirhat. For the better surface and less wear & tear on cars esp. suspension.

2. Alipur Duar - Kamakhyagiri - Gossaigaon - Kolobari (R) - Dotma - Fakiragram - Pakirtol (L) - Kokrajhar (R) - Bahalpur.

3. One more route that I came across that seems shorter is: Alipur Duar - Kamakhyagiri - Gossaigaon (R) - Chautara - Sapatgram - Fakiragram (R) - Pakirtol (L) Kokhrajar (R) - Bahalpur. This route is shorter than route 1 i.e. Rasik Bil & Boxirhat route by about 50 km. and shorter than route 2 via Dotma by about 20 km. I do wonder what the condition of this road is. Perhaps, I should stick to the tried and tested routes i.e. 1 and 2.
Route 2: There is a direct road from Dotma to Kokrajhar. This runs W - E. Fairly good quality. Does not go through Sapatgram/ Fakiragram.
Dotma - Fakiragram is part of the Serfanguri - Bilasipara road, and is in horrible condition. Also, if anything, longer than option 3.
Gossaigaon TO to Kokrakhar 42 Km.
Kokrajhar - Bahalpur is 28 Km.

First time: stick to route 1.

Regards
Sutripta

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks