Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2009, 19:03   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Musical fountain starts when it gets dark, highly recommended.
Old 18th November 2009, 10:29   #17
BHPian

Thanks adwait for all write up with details.
my further queries w.r.t. the point no in your last post.

1] thats nice idea. should we all line up for free tickets or one/two guys in line will be ok? - I think one person can get 4 or 5 tickets. So you can plan accordingly.
2]thats good info and idea.
3] i assume, petronas tower to kl tower is 15 min walk which is manageable.
4] i read lot of stories about kl taxi drivers. we will keep it in mind.
5] we are going to buy cloths and some souvenir items and not any electronics. which is best place in term of cost and quality to buy those items? - I guess you mean informal clothes/batik items then China Town would be a good place. You will get good souvenier items there - model KL towers, Twin towers, photo frames, key chains etc etc etc....BARGAIN HARD is the mantra here.
6] massage..hmmmm.... i will pm you.
7] low yat plaza is walking distance away from our hotel.
8] i have not got yet clear idea about bukit bintang to batu caves via sogo complex. please give some more info. From Sogo mall direct buses (Metro Buses - white and green) go every 15 mins. So from your hotel, take taxi to sogo (should be ~15 RM). Or take monorail and get down at Wawasan station and walk down 10 mins max. If you refer to the train route map, Sogo mall is on Sultan Ismail station (yellow line).
9] clubbing. which clubs near petronas other than zouk, beach bar and aloha? Actually whole of Bkt Bintang Area is full of clubs and pubs. Its a happeninng area for night life of KL. Just opp Raja Chulan mono rail station is a hard rock cafe. This was my usual friday night place (went there at least 20 times the time I was in KL) Lane next to hard rock is full of clubs. Beware of the wrong'uns; they can provide (at cost) companion if you are alone.
Old 18th November 2009, 10:30   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Yeh Ghor Paap hai

Since you have only 12 hours. Then head straight to Sentosa Island which is really worth seeing
5. If you have time, then visit Mustafa for your shopping. It's a fun place and a bit intimidating by the number of products available

P.S: In KL, go to " Bangsar" for clubbing
@mobike,
thanks for input.
As earlier said, Singapore is last min fitment in tight schedule and i am keen to force the group to visit Singapore again with their families in future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Musical fountain starts when it gets dark, highly recommended.
1] As there is no beach destination in our whole trip, i will definitely include Sentosa in the schedule.
2] Mustafa @ little India, we will definitely visit.
3]In the evening, we will visit orchard road but i am not sure about sunday closure at orchard.
4] We will also visit Merlion area.
5] We will not visit any zoo, park or safari.
6] Dinner at boat/river quay is planned.
7] Musical fountain, where is that place? near orchard or Sentosa?
8] Anything more can we add?

As we have time of 8 am to 9pm changi to changi, i need to fit those destinations in this time frame with minimum travel time.
Please suggest the itinerary for singapore.

Quote:
@ADVAIT---I guess you mean informal clothes/batik items then China Town would be a good place. You will get good souvenier items there - model KL towers, Twin towers, photo frames, key chains etc etc etc....BARGAIN HARD is the mantra here.
Yeah, thats right. We will visit Petaling street for window shopping for junk items.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 18th November 2009 at 10:38.
Old 18th November 2009, 10:35   #19
BHPian

@Ashish - As I said in some other post earlier, since you have limited time in S'pore you have two choices - head straight to Sentosa from airport. There is a direct MRT train to Sentosa drop point from where you can take Monorail to the island or cable car. Just check on their website.

Other option is (if you are flying Sing Air) take hop on hop off bus. Its free for Sing Air passenger - you need to show the boarding pass. Other wise the bus ticket is SGD 30. Its a good option if you want to explore Singapore city in a day. You can get down anywhere and hop in anywhere. Bus frequency is 30 mins. Ticket is available on the bus. If you take Singapore city map from airport, it has bus routes marked. Since I used to be in Singapore mostly on work visits I have seen Singapore only after office hours; that too in MRT or city buses.
Old 18th November 2009, 14:44   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Musical fountain is at Sentosa island. Orchard road is open on sundays.

i have visited Mustafa several times, its a pathetic place, hardly any bargain deals plus the salespersons there are not professional.

If you buy something remember to ask for gst refund receipt, you will get 7% tax back on the airport. Mustafa will send the refund later at your postal address.
Old 18th November 2009, 15:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
head straight to Sentosa from airport. T Tiger Sky Tower here is a direct MRT train to Sentosa drop point from where you can take Monorail to the island or cable car.
the bus ticket is SGD 30. If you take Singapore city map from airport, it has bus routes marked. .
we will do exactly as per your post.
after leaving changi, we will take mrt and head straight to sentosa. there , we will take sentosa choice pack costing @s$37 which includes 4d magix and other 3 points. there we will chill out at one of three beaches till 2pm. then , we will head to little india and mustafa. after that, we will go to merlion park. then head toward orchard road and lastly boat/clark quay for dinner.
should we take day pass of mrt S$8 or h-o-h-o bus ticket of s$12-16?

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
If you buy something remember to ask for gst refund receipt,
i think, gst refund is possible for min collective purchase of s$100. not sure.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 18th November 2009 at 15:22.
Old 18th November 2009, 17:07   #22
BHPian

hop bus ticket at 12-16 SGD? Plz check again; if you get it at that price, go for it. you can cover many city places (Merlion, Little India, Orchard Rd etc); would work out economical for you.

Else 8SGD MRT ticket is fine which you can use on any route and then walk a bit; and i think some money out of that 8$ is refundable when you deposit the ticket back into the slot. For River side dinner, Raffles Place is the MRT station name - actually river side as well as Merlion is 10 mins walking distance on either side of the station. There is fullerton hotel; old British era luxury hotel and Merlion is exactly opposite to this hotel across the road.

I liked an Arabian themed restaurant overlooking the merlion statue there. That is one good food option for you; otherwise on the otherside of the station; lots and lots of Indian, Chinese, Thai food options. If you like sea food and other non-veg items, you can pick and chose your own lobster/snake/crab/shrips etc. and then you sit there and relax till they cook and serve it hot for you. There is also a museum; I dont remember its name on the other side of the river. Good to visit if you have time; which I dont think you have after a packed day.
Old 18th November 2009, 17:33   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
hop bus ticket at 12-16 SGD? Plz check again;
yeah,
hoho bus ticket for city and sentosa shuttle service is s$12 only.
i am not clear whether the hoho bus starts from changi airport?
Old 19th November 2009, 17:06   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
We had reserved the flight tickets in special promotional rates.
Total five flights cost us just rs 8750 [ YES, you read correct, 8750] per head including all taxes, airport charges, transfer from kl airport to kl sentral to and fro, baggage charges and food. Five flights are India-kl, kl-singapore, singapore-kl, kl-indian destination, indian destination-mumbai.
we have not taken any group discount!!
What is the secret of such a fantastic deal - can you share with fellow BHPians so that we too can benefit
Old 20th November 2009, 10:49   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
What is the secret of such a fantastic deal - can you share with fellow BHPians so that we too can benefit
No secret, no gimmick, no influence, no group discounting.

1] book early, really early, 3-4 months prior to travel.
2] don't set date for any pleasure trips, just set tentative period of travel.
3] search for budget airline offers.
4] wait for right offer and grab it.

I have done exactly the way mentioned here.

I will give you the cost/flight break up.

1] india-kl.......................rs1930[ include airfare, tax, seat pickup, baggage charge, on board food, kl transfer by coach]
2]kl-singapore.................rs 448[ kl transfer, airfare, tax]
3]singapore-kl.................rs 1287[ kl transfer, airfare, tax]
4]kl-indian destination.......rs 2270[ kl transfer, tax, seat pickup, baggage charge, airfare]
5] ind dstn-mumbai...........rs 2750[ airfare and tax, thanks to efficiency of indian aviation industry]

happy travel.
Old 20th November 2009, 12:27   #26
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Malaysia is a haven for cheap and pirated DVDs. But since you are moving to singapore for 1 day, in case you buy those DVDs, ensure you DO NOT take them to Singapore. Singapore will wait with sniffer dogs for those things. It's not that you shouldn't take DVDs. Singapore has a strong censor board in place. You would be expected to declare the DVDs and send them for censorship in Singapore, which is a cumbersome and costly process.

You may keep your DVD purchases on the return leg from KL to India.

I also indulged in buying an Authentic replica of Breitling. Can't afford the original for some time. The replica I bought is authorised and came at an affordable cost. Looks just the same. Everyone who gawks at my watch, needs to be humbly reminded, it's not original
I'd also recommend the waterfalls at Kota Tinggi. It's amazing.
Take a trip from airport to city on the KL express (the super fast train) that takes around 15 - 20 mins to cover that distance.
That's my first experience of high speed trains. Eurostar blew me away after that at 300 kph.
On the way back, just check in your baggage at KL sentral, collect your boarding pass at the station, board the high speed train, get off at KLIA, board your flight in India. Presto, your baggage is waiting for you in Mumbai airport. It's fun. I'd recommend you avoid taxi to and from airport to city. Trains costlier for a group. But still, it's fun and fast.
In case you are planning to try your luck gambling in Genting, remember, formal shoes are a must. No shorts either. Don't walk with beach wear all the way up only to be stopped from entering on account of Attire.
Old 20th November 2009, 12:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
1]Malaysia is a haven for cheap and pirated DVDs.
2]I'd also recommend the waterfalls at Kota Tinggi. It's amazing.
3]Take a trip from airport to city on the KL express (the super fast train) that takes around 15 - 20 mins to cover that distance.
4]In case you are planning to try your luck gambling in Genting,

1] We may or may not buy dvds but certainly not taking any baggage to Singapore. We will take just a rucksack for this day trip.
2] Where is kota tinggi? if outside kl, then not fit in our tight schedule.
3] As a group leader, for this budget trip, i have to keep costs minimum. So i will avoid this express train costing MR 35 one way.
4] Some of our group members may try their luck at Genting, i will pass this info to them.

Please share any other info regarding kl and singapore, it will be benefitial for us and others also.
thanks

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 20th November 2009 at 12:51.
Old 20th November 2009, 12:57   #28
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No secret, no gimmick, no influence, no group discounting.

1] book early, really early, 3-4 months prior to travel.
2] don't set date for any pleasure trips, just set tentative period of travel.
3] search for budget airline offers.
4] wait for right offer and grab it.

I have done exactly the way mentioned here.

I will give you the cost/flight break up.

1] india-kl.......................rs1930[ include airfare, tax, seat pickup, baggage charge, on board food, kl transfer by coach]
2]kl-singapore.................rs 448[ kl transfer, airfare, tax]
3]singapore-kl.................rs 1287[ kl transfer, airfare, tax]
4]kl-indian destination.......rs 2270[ kl transfer, tax, seat pickup, baggage charge, airfare]
5] ind dstn-mumbai...........rs 2750[ airfare and tax, thanks to efficiency of indian aviation industry]

happy travel.
astonishing!did you get air asia or another jackpot
Does one need to join your group to get these deals...if so am willing
Old 20th November 2009, 13:03   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I can't fly to Pune for that much. Please give us your booking and itinerary details.
Old 20th November 2009, 13:16   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
did you get air asia
Does one need to join your group to get these deals...if so am willing
As earlier mentioned, we have not taken any group discount. Cost will be same for individual booking for single pax. Wait for right time and grab it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I can't fly to Pune for that much. Please give us your booking and itinerary details.
@sam,
whole idea @ this trip is based on your travel story of sepang f1 race.
Thanks for that story which inspired us to do it.
Regarding airfare, its really surprising , but its fact and i have grabbed the opportunity.
Regarding booking and itinerary, as it is online ticketless booking, i can't put out here pdf copies of the same or is there any other way to put it here?

edit:
i tried to put up here the itinerary but seems do not appear here in right manner.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 20th November 2009 at 13:35.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks