Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2011, 21:07   #91
BHPian

Re: What to see in Malaysia and Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Hey! What did you think of Albert Court? Need to book a hotel in Singapore for 4 Nights and I'm kinda confused.
It's a good hotel and another added benefit is that it's close to Little India and Mustafas.

I have a few pics of Albert Court.

What to see in Malaysia and Singapore-dsc00239.jpg

What to see in Malaysia and Singapore-dsc00240.jpg

What to see in Malaysia and Singapore-dsc00245.jpg

What to see in Malaysia and Singapore-dsc00246.jpg

What to see in Malaysia and Singapore-dsc00250.jpg

What to see in Malaysia and Singapore-dsc02572.jpg

What to see in Malaysia and Singapore-dsc02577.jpg
prateekm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2011, 21:18   #92
Senior - BHPian

Hotels I stayed in Malaysia:
Kuala Lumpur: Dynasty (1 night for transit): Avoidable
Singapore: Grande Mercure Roxy. FABULOUS!!!!! Just off East Coast. Silent, posh area and really really nice hotel with comfortable rooms. Best part is the really courteous and accommodating staff.
Genting: Theme Park Hotel. Great. Since First World is really crowded and takes a minimum of an hour to check in, this is the cheaper and much better option.
Kuala Lumpur: Dorsett Park Regency, Jalan Imbi. WOOOOAH. the best way to end this trip. REALLLLLLLLY the best hotel I have stayed in. They accommodated us on the 28th (top floor) and we had a really good room with good breakfast and nice service.

Overall, we stayed in very nice places and they are recommended to all.
For more about each hotel, try Hotels, Travel and Holiday Reviews - TripAdvisor
Old 27th April 2011, 15:50   #93
BHPian

Hi Sathya,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_j2084 View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2321311
Hi All,

3. Day 3 - Depart to KL.(thro air). Reach KL(Pls suggest a good 3*/4* hotel that would be easily accessible for trains/bus/metros. My travel agent promises to make arrangements at Hotel Grand Season)
For hotel in KL, I would suggest Hotel Renaissance (it is a 5* hotel - but the rates are reasonable - between 250 - 350 RM). It is very close to the monorail station (Bukit Nanas) as well as the LRT station (Dang Wang). It is also within walking distance to Petronas and KLCC and near to the Bukit Bintang area.

Quote:
6. Day 6 - Proceed from Genting/KL to Singapore(Bus/Train still confused. Though i wud prefer train would it be worth the time travelling? )
Pls suggest a good hotel in Singapore. Local travel in Singapore
In Singapore, you can consider staying in Hotel Rendezvous. It is very close to the Dhoby Ghaut MRT station. In case you plan to visit the bird park, zoo or night safari, there is a Singapore Attractions bus pickup point opposite the hotel.

For all local travel you can use the MRT or the buses. However, for the Zoo, Bird Park and Night Safari, it would be a better idea to take the Singapore Attractions bus.

For both the hotels, you can book online from their websites.
Old 27th April 2011, 19:45   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajidclt View Post

In Singapore, you can consider staying in Hotel Rendezvous. It is very close to the Dhoby Ghaut MRT station. In case you plan to visit the bird park, zoo or night safari, there is a Singapore Attractions bus pickup point opposite the hotel.
I second this. I stayed in this hotel. There is a food court opposite this hotel, which has Indian cuisine too. Further, they have a few rooms which has a double bed + a single bed, ideal for families with kid(s).

Prasad
Old 29th April 2011, 13:45   #95
BHPian

I am going to Malaysia on 4th May, Please help me to organize my trip.

May 4 - Depart Bangalore through Air Asia at 5:30 & Reach Kuala Lumpur (LCCT) at 12:15 AM

May 5 - Visit Putrajaya, King's Palace, Thean Hou Temple. What to do this evening ???

May 6 - Visit Genting Highlands and Batu Caves during the return Journey. What to do this evening ???

May 7 - Get up early and collect tickets Petronas Twin Towers Skybridge, KL Tower, Roam Petaling Street, Little India, Berjaya Times Square, Low Yat Plaza and some shopping.

May 8 - Depart to Langkawi Early Morning through Malaysian Airlines
May 9 - Langkawi
May 10 - Langkawi

As I will be landing in LCCT in KL around 12 AM Midnight is it safe to take Skybus to KL Sentral and a Taxi to the hotel Novotel at Jalan Kia Peng from KL Sentral? What do you recommend ?

We are pure veggie, please suggest some pure veggie hotels in KL and also some must try local food (veggie) and drinks.

Best means of transport in KL? Monorail? I wish to avoid using Taxis instead i want to make use of local transport like buses or trains. Not a Budget issue but It's fun to use local transport in foreign trips.

I wish to visit these places but i don't know where & how to plan these in my itinerary

1. Watch factory
2. National Palace
3. Masjid Jamek
4. King's Palace
5. National Museum
6. Thean Hou Temple
7. Putrajaya
8. Sungei Wang Plaza
9. Also want to experience night life of KL

I have not planned anything for evenings in my itinerary please help me to organize.

What is there in Berjaya Times Square ?

I am bit confused about KL Sentral, What is this KL Sentral all about?

Last edited by CRV2010 : 29th April 2011 at 13:47.
Old 29th April 2011, 14:01   #96
BHPian

KL Sentral is the main transport station in KL. It has a bus stand as well as a railway station. You can catch trains to all parts of the country from Sentral. If you are reaching LCC at midnight, it is better to take a taxi directly from the airport to the hotel. If you want save some cash, you can take the skybus and then the taxi, but it seems like an unnecessary hassle and would probably take more time.
Taxis in KL are a bit like the indian taxis. Many drivers will refuse to go to your destination and then ask for more than the meter fare( i have noticed that this is more common with the indian origin taxi drivers ) . Refuse to pay them anything more than the fare on the meter. Monorail is the best way to travel if you want to avoid taxis, but the areas you can cover is limited and you would still need to use taxis.

Also, since you are a vegetarian, let me warn you that it is very difficult to find vegetarian food in Langkawi. There are a few restaurants that serve vegetarian food in Kuah town, but not sure of the quality. Make sure the hotel where you are staying serves vegetarian food, or else you would have to survive on breakfast alone .
Newpunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2011, 16:29   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post

May 4 - Depart Bangalore through Air Asia at 5:30 & Reach Kuala Lumpur (LCCT) at 12:15 AM

May 5 - Visit Putrajaya, King's Palace, Thean Hou Temple. What to do this evening ???

May 6 - Visit Genting Highlands and Batu Caves during the return Journey. What to do this evening ???

May 7 - Get up early and collect tickets Petronas Twin Towers Skybridge, KL Tower, Roam Petaling Street, Little India, Berjaya Times Square, Low Yat Plaza and some shopping.

May 8 - Depart to Langkawi Early Morning through Malaysian Airlines
May 9 - Langkawi
May 10 - Langkawi

As I will be landing in LCCT in KL around 12 AM Midnight is it safe to take Skybus to KL Sentral and a Taxi to the hotel Novotel at Jalan Kia Peng from KL Sentral? What do you recommend ?

We are pure veggie, please suggest some pure veggie hotels in KL and also some must try local food (veggie) and drinks.

Best means of transport in KL? Monorail? I wish to avoid using Taxis instead i want to make use of local transport like buses or trains. Not a Budget issue but It's fun to use local transport in foreign trips.

I wish to visit these places but i don't know where & how to plan these in my itinerary

1. Watch factory
2. National Palace
3. Masjid Jamek
4. King's Palace
5. National Museum
6. Thean Hou Temple
7. Putrajaya
8. Sungei Wang Plaza

I have not planned anything for evenings in my itinerary please help me to organize.

It is better to take a taxi from the airport since you are directing going to the hotel. We reached at the same time and took a taxi to the hotel. Since we had booked everything as a package, we had the cars ready.

The hotel that you stay is close to Bukit Bintang. There are many plazas here for you to spend time in the evenings(I think you have already added that on May 7th). Also, there is a monorail station here. Since you are a pure veggie, there are many Indian veg restaurants lined up the streets in Bukit Bintang. For some night spots, you can check out the street beside The Radius International hotel for pubs.

Taxi's will charge a min of 15 ringgits but you should bargain and bring it down to 10 if possible. Monorail is another good option.

I would suggest you to stay atleast a day in Genting since the weather is good.

You wont be able to enter the King's Palace. You can check it out from outside and click some pics with the guard.

Also, be careful with your hand luggage. The guide warned us about potential theft while walking through streets.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2011, 18:45   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think there should be any problems taking a teksi from KL Sentral to your hotel lah. At KL Sentral there is a pre-paid teksi stand,pay and take the teksi to your hotel.

Quote:
You will find it difficult lah. Try some of the local eat outs you should get lucky with veg food. Actually there is a restaurant on the way to the Petronas from Bukit Bintang. It's an Indian one and is on the left side if you walk towards the Petronas twin towers from Bukit Bintang.

Quote:
Monorail, but bargaining with teksi's is also fun lah. They work like our pesky rickshaws here , however much better of a tribe incomparo to the rickshaw drivers here.

Quote:
Shops and stores, loads of it.

Quote:

1. Watch factory
2. National Palace
3. Masjid Jamek
4. King's Palace
5. National Museum
6. Thean Hou Temple
7. Putrajaya
8. Sungei Wang Plaza

Read my TL on my Malaysian trip, you will get a fair idea on how best to cover KL.

Quote:
You haven't been there yet lah, how can you be confused ? KL Sentral is the place where all the buses to and from the airport stops(The pickup point and drop off point) They also have a metro station here.

Last but not the least, learn to say terima kasih(thank you) when in Malaysia .
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2011, 19:12   #99
BHPian

If you are a pure veggie, it's going to be a hard time for you at Genting. My cousin's family who were with us, were pure veggies. The only place they found good food was just opposite our hotel (Corus) in Malaysia. Corus is about 2 minutes from the Petronas Towers and there's a veg restaurant (small one) just next to the 7-11 store on the opposite side of the road. There are other restaurants too, but they will be pretty expensive (3k INR for a meal for 6).

Last edited by prateekm : 29th April 2011 at 19:14.
prateekm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2011, 20:11   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

You will find many Indian restaurants in Bukit Bintang dealing in South indian specialties.
Old 29th April 2011, 21:08   #101
BHPian

Quote:

Here is a list of couple of Indian restaurants near JW Marriott where we stayed (and this is close to Novotel). We too are pure veggies:

1. Sri Rekha - #39 Jln Sultan Ismail, Golden Triangle, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

2. Spice Garden - Chulan Square 92, Jalan Raja Chulan 50200 KL, Malaysia.
(the first one is a budget/darshini type hotel and second one is a proper restuarant and little expensive)

3. Anna Lakshmi - Lot G(E) 017, Ground Floor, Mid Valley Megamall, Kuala Lumpur 59200, Malaysia

If I remember right, first two seem to serve non-veg too and the 3rd one in the Mid Valley Megamall is a pure veg hotel. Pizza Huts in Malaysia will surely have atleast one veggie pizza. Pl. use Google maps for exact location from your hotel.

Spice Garden has an outlet in Highlands hotel in Genting too.

Hope this is useful. Pl. Google to get the latest, as I'm copy-pasting from my trip notes which is 4years old.

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:39   #102
BHPian

Thank you rjstyles69 your trip log help me a lot and also thank you prateekm, naveen.raju, prasad14, Newpunter for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
KL Sentral is the main transport station in KL. It has a bus stand as well as a railway station. You can catch trains to all parts of the country from Sentral. If you are reaching LCC at midnight, it is better to take a taxi directly from the airport to the hotel. If you want save some cash, you can take the skybus and then the taxi, but it seems like an unnecessary hassle and would probably take more time.
Taxis in KL are a bit like the indian taxis. Many drivers will refuse to go to your destination and then ask for more than the meter fare( i have noticed that this is more common with the indian origin taxi drivers ) . Refuse to pay them anything more than the fare on the meter. Monorail is the best way to travel if you want to avoid taxis, but the areas you can cover is limited and you would still need to use taxis.

Also, since you are a vegetarian, let me warn you that it is very difficult to find vegetarian food in Langkawi. There are a few restaurants that serve vegetarian food in Kuah town, but not sure of the quality. Make sure the hotel where you are staying serves vegetarian food, or else you would have to survive on breakfast alone .
Thank you, Will KL Sentral close in the midnight ? Are Pre-Paid Taxis available 24hrs at KL Sentral?

I have read about non-availability of veggie food in Langkawi don't know how to manage with the breakfast :-(. Any idea about the hotel names in Kuah Town ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
If you are a pure veggie, it's going to be a hard time for you at Genting. My cousin's family who were with us, were pure veggies. The only place they found good food was just opposite our hotel (Corus) in Malaysia. Corus is about 2 minutes from the Petronas Towers and there's a veg restaurant (small one) just next to the 7-11 store on the opposite side of the road. There are other restaurants too, but they will be pretty expensive (3k INR for a meal for 6).
Thank you prateekm for the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Here is a list of couple of Indian restaurants near JW Marriott where we stayed (and this is close to Novotel). We too are pure veggies:

1. Sri Rekha - #39 Jln Sultan Ismail, Golden Triangle, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

2. Spice Garden - Chulan Square 92, Jalan Raja Chulan 50200 KL, Malaysia.
(the first one is a budget/darshini type hotel and second one is a proper restuarant and little expensive)

3. Anna Lakshmi - Lot G(E) 017, Ground Floor, Mid Valley Megamall, Kuala Lumpur 59200, Malaysia

If I remember right, first two seem to serve non-veg too and the 3rd one in the Mid Valley Megamall is a pure veg hotel. Pizza Huts in Malaysia will surely have atleast one veggie pizza. Pl. use Google maps for exact location from your hotel.

Spice Garden has an outlet in Highlands hotel in Genting too.

Hope this is useful. Pl. Google to get the latest, as I'm copy-pasting from my trip notes which is 4years old.

Prasad
Wow! Thanks for the address, this will come handy for us.

Guys, I have changed the itinerary

Day 1 - Putrajaya, Batik Factory, Leather Factory, ICE Cream Factory, chocolate factory, India Masjid, Istana Negara, Thean Thou Temple

Day 2 - Visit Batu Caves first on the way to Genting Highlands.

Day 3 - Get up early and collect tickets Petronas Twin Towers Skybridge, KL Tower, Roam Petaling Street, Berjaya Times Square, Low Yat Plaza and some shopping.

Day 4 - Depart to Langkawi Early Morning.

Please suggest few must do things in Evenings.
Old 3rd May 2011, 13:20   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please suggest few must do things in Evenings.
The best thing to do in KL is enjoy the street food in the evenings, but since you are a vegetarian am sure you wont try it. In the evenings simply take a stroll around Jalan Bukit Bintang and visit the malls.

Aloha Cafe in Jalan P Ramalee is a must do.
Old 3rd May 2011, 13:57   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In addition to the shopping malls, Berjaya Time square has got a huge hotel with rooms in 42 floors with multiple towers. It has got an indoor amusement park with a 15 floor high roller coaster (yes, it is indoor !!!) and has got a huge food court (not sure on the vegie part). We had stayed in this hotel in a room in the 42nd floor, it offers an amazing view of KL, snaps are present in my earlier travelogue .
Old 3rd May 2011, 14:31   #105
BHPian

thanks rjstyles69, will checkout Aloha Cafe in Jalan P Ramalee for sure.

thanks gadadhar, I have added Berjaya Time Square to must see places already in my list.

Few More Q

1. Will KL Sentral close in the midnight ? Are Pre-Paid Taxis available 24hrs at KL Sentral?
2. Avoidable & Must Do in Genting / Rides

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks