Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2010, 09:27   #76
BHPian

Hi all,

My route is now undergoing a change. I will have to branch off to Patna after Varanasi to drop of a son (an adult of ~ 25 years) of my friend who will be accompanying us from Pune. (This came around after my mother went ballistic after hearing that I am proposing to make this trip with me as the only male and driver. He appeared like god-send - and a known person is anytime better than an other unknown person).

I have (courtsey Google Map) mapped 2 routes:
1. Varanasi - Narainpur - Ujjiyar - Shahpur - Doghara - Arrah - Patna. (NH19 - NH84 - NH30)
And
2. Varanasi - Sasaram - Aurangabad - Obra - Daudnagar - Arwal - Paliganj - Khagaul - Patna ( NH2 - NH98)

Even though the 1st route is shorter, I was advised not to take this route as Arrah area is not "good"

I am personally inclined for the 2nd route Sasaram - Aurangabad.. route since I "want" to see Sher- Shah Suri's Tomb and Raja Harishchandra's fort near Sasaram. (Sasaram - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I request your expert comments on the above - with any other options.

HVK / ADC or any other traveller(s) on this route please HELP !!

Last edited by kingshukt : 31st March 2010 at 09:30.
Old 31st March 2010, 09:35   #77
Senior - BHPian

All roads approaching Patna are currently in a bad shape. A couple of weeks ago, my friend turned off NH2 at Mohania and went via Arrah. I don't think you have too much of choice.
Old 31st March 2010, 14:56   #78
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
A couple of weeks ago, my friend turned off NH2 at Mohania and went via Arrah. I don't think you have too much of choice.

Kingshukt this the only feasible road if it is transport section that you have coming from Varanasi. If it is tourist then Gaya or Nawada [for Rajgir] route, but these will take much time.

You can see this road story for the travel journey to Patna from varanasi but this is from 2008 via the Mohania-Arah route.

Delhi ? Patna road review/ghumakkar.com

And recently, this bhpian has done the sameroute as he posts here, may be you PM him and know more:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1813308

For the Patna-Kolkata road, I came via Bhaktiyarpur-Nawada-Barhi-Dhanbad-Calcutta.

Last edited by adc : 31st March 2010 at 15:00.
Old 1st April 2010, 10:07   #79
BHPian

Why don't you take the NH2 till Dhobi and then Gaya-Nawada-Patna, I go via this route as my destination is Nawada, Nagpur-varanasi-Gaya-Nawada.

-Pramod
Old 1st April 2010, 11:00   #80
BHPian

Many thanks for the suggestion.

Based on HVK, ADC and your suggestion, I have approached my contacts in Patna and Gaya to understand their take on the route. They do Patna - Varanasi ~ once a month if not more. (Since this post is on TBHP, it should also be mentioned that both of them drive Innovas and they have to make one trip to varanasi every 3 months for servicing - Patna does not have an A$$ till date - only now being setup)

They initially suggested turnoff at Mohania (same as HVK's input) and then onwards via Koath - Jadgishpur (Koath - Jagdishpur is SH and in very good condition as per them). We Join NH30 @ Arrah (No security issues in arrah now - that was a thing of the past ) and then via Bihta - Maner to Patna.
Considering my wish to visit Sasaram they have promised to revert back as to whether I should take a turn off NH2 at Sasaram (Sasaram - Piro - Garhani - Udwantnagar - Arrah - Patna) or Aurangabad (Aurangabad - Orba - daudnagar - Niranjanpur - Arwal - Bikram - Khagaul - Patna) after checking the road condition etc.

For the return trip (Patna - NH2 - Kolkata) I am suggested Patna - Nalanda (Via Bihar Sharif) - Gaya (Night halt at Gaya - No halt at Patna).
Only problem which even my contacts in Gaya concurr, is that Gaya is HOT ~ 47 deg C - in summer, but then I would be reaching Gaya in the afternoon / evening.

I invite your comments / suggestion / corrections to the above please.

P.S: They have now confirmed that Varanasi - Gaya (NH2) is 4 laned and can be covered in 3-4 hours.
Old 1st April 2010, 22:59   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post

P.S: They have now confirmed that Varanasi - Gaya (NH2) is 4 laned and can be covered in 3-4 hours.
Varanasi-Dobhi is on NH2 (235 kms), fully 4-laned. Gaya is 30 kms more on NH83 from there.
Old 2nd April 2010, 12:18   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Varanasi-Dobhi is on NH2 (235 kms), fully 4-laned. Gaya is 30 kms more on NH83 from there.
Yes sir, you are correct. Dobhi is on NH2 and NOT Gaya- My bad.
Old 15th April 2010, 14:45   #83
BHPian

Hi,

Just posting an update.

After days and hours of debate and discussions (including a visit to HVK's house - where he has forbade me to add him as Sir) my route has been "almost" frozen.

I have decided to take the alternate route to Indore thro' Burhanpur (plenty more to see on this route than the boring NH3)

My proposed detour to Patna (to drop of the son of my friend) is still in limbo - as my friend is insisting that I drop him off at Varanasi / Mughalsarai and me thinking otherwise).

Hotels are been finalised at Indore, Jhansi and Khajuraho with Varanasi hotel yet to be decided / finalised

The vehicle has been inspected for 2 days at BUB and has got an Okay chit - only idler arm nut tightened / setting (?) done. Again thanks to HVK for the detailed list.

Excel file of route is attached for any last moment suggestions / comments from all.

P.S: I am in the process of wrangling out an IOCL petro / fleet card - http://www.iocxtrapower.com/index.htm. This will eneble me to carry less money for the trip OR have more money on hand for emergencies. For north / east India travellers such cards are a boon - IOCL has more presence in N / east India.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Book2.xls (24.5 KB, 657 views)

Last edited by kingshukt : 15th April 2010 at 14:57.
Old 26th April 2010, 16:41   #84
BHPian

Hi All,

The date for start of my "desert rally" is now nearing.

Along with all the other preparations, I have now worked out the route for the return trip.

This is detailed in the excel file attached.
This route is based on the presumption that our daughter will be accompanying us on the return trip and we halt at Agra to show her the Taj.
I have also tried to keep the route slightly different so that lethargy does not set in - lethargy along with heat will be my biggest hurdle.

Please send us your valuable comments / inputs on the route and all suggestions are welcome.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Book2.xls (24.5 KB, 578 views)

Last edited by kingshukt : 26th April 2010 at 16:43.
Old 26th April 2010, 17:10   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

- lethargy along with heat will be my biggest hurdle.
Hey Kingshut,

Lethargy doesn't set in when you are cruising in that luxurious tata truck called Safari. So don't worry, you are going to enjoy this drive despite heat wave, and also this drive will make you even more hungry! That is a sure after-effect of a Safari ride.

The whether is not suitable, otherwise, you could have enjoyed visiting Jhalarpatan on Bundi route and also Pilgrimage town Ujjain, as you plan to take Kota-Indore-Pune route. But, all these areas are boiling in heat, even schools have been closed in MP so early in April itself, instead of May.

Also you can consider taking longer but comfortable route from Kota.

Kota-Chhitorgarh-Udaipur-Ahmedabad-Mumbai-Pune.
Old 26th April 2010, 20:13   #86
Senior - BHPian

Your new route plan looks OK, kingshukt.
I have no idea about the condition of the roads from Jhalawar to Biaora though.
In case you don't want to stop in Allahabad, you can take the wonderful bypass from Handia onwards and straightaway reach Kanpur.
Old 26th April 2010, 21:12   #87
Senior - BHPian

Bon Voyage

Quote:
Hi All,
The date for start of my "desert rally" is now nearing.

Please send us your valuable comments / inputs on the route and all suggestions are welcome.
Ah.. the beast and its master ready for rock and roll .

All the best for your journey to and fro.

Though already said 1000 times on this and some other threads i repeat
  1. Take breaks every 200-300kms.
  2. Tank-up at decent Fuel outlets when the fuel tank needle is halfway.
  3. Drive safe and defensively and don't overtake from left (puneri ishtyle) on highways unless deemed necessary.
  4. Optimum FE drive between 80-100kmph.
  5. Keep mobile charged up and carry plenty of change (Rs.'s)
  6. Incase you loose directions, dont ask directions from bystanders, chances are that they may misguide you. Try shopkeepers or truckwalas.
  7. Keep some sort of personal safety device within easy reach of you.(you know what I mean)
  8. Call us in case you need help
Old 27th April 2010, 09:49   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Hey Kingshut,

Lethargy doesn't set in...

The whether is not suitable, otherwise, you could have enjoyed visiting Jhalarpatan on Bundi route and also Pilgrimage town Ujjain, as you plan to take Kota-Indore-Pune route. But, all these areas are boiling in heat, even schools have been closed in MP so early in April itself, instead of May.

Also you can consider taking longer but comfortable route from Kota.

Kota-Chhitorgarh-Udaipur-Ahmedabad-Mumbai-Pune.
Quote:
Your new route plan looks OK, kingshukt.
I have no idea about the condition of the roads from Jhalawar to Biaora though.
In case you don't want to stop in Allahabad, you can take the wonderful bypass from Handia onwards and straightaway reach Kanpur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Ah.. the beast and its master ready for rock and roll .

All the best for your journey to and fro.

Though already said 1000 times on this and some other threads i repeat
  1. Take breaks every 200-300kms.
  2. Tank-up at decent Fuel outlets when the fuel tank needle is halfway.
  3. Drive safe and defensively and don't overtake from left (puneri ishtyle) on highways unless deemed necessary.
  4. Optimum FE drive between 80-100kmph.
  5. Keep mobile charged up and carry plenty of change (Rs.'s)
  6. Incase you loose directions, dont ask directions from bystanders, chances are that they may misguide you. Try shopkeepers or truckwalas.
  7. Keep some sort of personal safety device within easy reach of you.(you know what I mean)
  8. Call us in case you need help
Thanks all for the kind AND morale boosting words.

@LDL:
I will be returning back in the 1st week of June '10. The heat wave would still be there but should have reduced (?)
I had considered Ujjain in the 1st version of the route that I had made. But then I realised that Ujjain is a Pilgrimage town and both of us are not really pious.

Also this being the fag end of the trip with all of us wanting the reach back (after ~ 7000 Km of travelling in a car) safetly - even now there are murmurs of Maoist insurgency problems from my in-laws and parents, I am not sure whether my wife would be interested in the stop at Ujjain. I have however looged it at the back of the mind and if the Pune - Kol journey is uneventfull (and to some extent enjoyable) I may change it to pass Ujjain. You will notice that Kota - Indore is only ~ 400 Km. This short distance was also to enable Ujjain short visit.

I had also considered Kota-Chhitorgarh-Ahmedabad-Mumbai-Pune (Udaipur ?) BUT then then it increases the distance and I really do NOT know whether all of us will be up to it - at the fag end of the trip.

@HVK: OK - Jhalawar to Biora is unknown road quality. I will try to get it checked up.
Maybe some of TBHP's members from Indore / Gwalior / Kota / Ujjain can throw some light (If they are reading this thread )
Else I will ask around at Biora when I am travelling to Kolkata - for all that is worth.
Ranchi to Allahabad is ~ 550 Km. Also we had discussed earlier that Kanpur traffic is chaotic especially in the 2nd half of the day + Kanpur Pollution (smell from tanneries) is also a detterent. Allahabad to Kanpur is ~ 200 Km drive and as mentioned earlier I have to reach the next stop well in time before sun-down.
Please explain why I should try for Kanpur considering that I have planned, as per this route to stop at Agra.
BTW where does the bypass from Handia meet NH2 again

@ RahulK:

1. Break every 200-300 Km is indeed a good suggestions. Both the vehicle and me will need it considering the heat.
2. Tank up at half tank mark is correct and I too propose to do so. Considering that IOCL pumps are more in the northern regions I have a list of all their outlets already printed (I will need it for the IOCL-Easy fuel card that I am carrying - less money to carry along)
3. Drive safe is indeed correct. (a "thumbs-up" - have already finished my quota of smileys).
4. Till Varanasi, we would have, between all the occupants in the car, a total of atleast 5 mobiles - I will have 2 - one BSNL and one AirTel. I have already purchased a splitter for the car outlet (thanks to HVK - saw it in his vehicle) for charging these.
5. I have planned ~ Rs. 5K in Rs. 10 denominations (If that is what you mean by change). We have already discussed cash on hand for the trip during one of our discussions. That is the reason for the easy fuel Card - More Cash on hand and less required to be spent for fuel.
6. I have a GPS - in any case your suggestion of asking truck driver / Dhabha wallas is well taken.
7. We have those Pepper sprays with us. We have met and you know that I do not have the James bond / Bruce Lee build so cannot do any better. Hopefully my co-passengers and contacts in case I am stuck should see us through.
You cannot really do any-thing against armed bunch of persons.
8. Yes - I will surely call if I need help. Thanks a lot for the same.

- K

Last edited by kingshukt : 27th April 2010 at 09:52.
Old 27th April 2010, 09:54   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW where does the bypass from Handia meet NH2 again
The Allahabad bypass starts at Handia (when coming from south, Varanasi) - which is around 35 kms before Allahabad - and ends after the Bamrauli Air Force Station, at a point which is 25 kms beyond Allahabad.
Old 27th April 2010, 10:03   #90
BHPian

Quote:
The Allahabad bypass starts at Handia (when coming from south, Varanasi) - which is around 35 kms before Allahabad - and ends after the Bamrauli Air Force Station, at a point which is 25 kms beyond Allahabad.
Sirjee,

You will have to explain.

The Ganga expressway starts at Handi. But Google maps do not show that as ending at Bamrauli. Infact Google Map (I know you have a low opinion of Google map - but it is convenient) shows the Ganga Express way ending noth of Allahabad, meeting NH96.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks