Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2010, 19:22   #31
BHPian

Revised Plan

Onward Journey:
Day 1. Lucknow –Jhansi- Indore (Night Halt). Kms. 785.
Day 2. Indore – Pune, (Not by NH 3 but via Burhanpur, Jalgaon, Aurangabad, Ahmadnagar) or if possible, reach Satara via Baramati (Night Halt on NH 4), Kms. 650/ or750.
Day 3. Pune/ or Satara - Bangalore (Night Halt). Kms. 900/ or 800

Day 4, 5, 6 At Bangalore (Vehicle servicing, City sight seeing and being with relatives)

Day 7. Bangalore- Rameswaram (Night Halt).
Day 8. Rameswaram - Kanyakumari (Night Halt).
Day 9. Kanyakumari – Theni- Munnar (Night Halt).
Day 10. Exploring Munnar (Night Halt).
Day 11. Munnar - Kochi (Night Halt) via Devikkolam - Nedumkandam - Kallar- Vellayamkudi-Idukki-Kulamavu-Muttom-Thodupuzha-Muvattupuzha (I know NH 49 is a direct option, but want to take this longer but beautiful Idukki route by choice)
Day 12. Kochi
Day 13. Kochi - backwaters visit at Kumarkom/or Alleppy - Kochi (Night Halt).
Day 14. Kochi- Coonoor- Ooty (still not clear which route will be better during that time/ mid June) (Night Halt).
Day 15. Exploring Ooty- Kotagiri –Oooty (Night Halt).
Day 16. Ooty-Mysore (Night Halt).
Day 17. Mysore-Coorg (Night Halt).
Day 18. Coorg - Chikmangloor (Night Halt).
Day 19. Chikmangloor - Kudremukh- Udupi (Night Halt).
Day 20. Exploring Malpe beach, Udupi, - then move onto – Marventhe - Murdeswara (Night halt).
Day 21. Murdeswara – Goa (Night halt).
Day 21 & 22 Relaxing & exploring Goa (Preparation for a full-fledged 'Goan Safari' in future!)
Return Journey:
Day 23. Goa - Mumbai by NH 17 (Night Halt around Thane) Km. 600.
Day 24. Mumbai – Udaipur (Night halt). Kms. 750
Day 25. Udaipur – Lucknow (Night halt). Kms. 940

Few observations:
1. Am still worried: Will we get bare essential time at Rameswaram and KK as per above plan? Just for 'mandatory coverage'! or a day extra is needed for these two places (i.e. half day for each).
2. Being 1st timer, do we need to inbuilt 1 more day for Ooty-Coconoor area to have any reasonable feel of the place?
3. I know time given to coastal Karnataka is not enough, but we are taking all those major known areas for a feeling of having seen them in monsoon season!
4. If we get delayed by 1 day in Ooty-Coorg-Ckm-Udupi region, that'll be okay, can manage 1 extra day.
5. That surprise inclusion of Goa into this itinerary, I am sure will raise a few eyebrows! as if already it was not too chaotic a plan! Friends, I know 2 days are not enough for 1st timers in Goa; but as I said earlier, my idea is just to pass through Goa, and let the family have the glimpses of Goa, instead of flat NH 4, so that we can come back to it for a full trip soon. .
6. HV Kumar sir, you'll say, this boy doesn't stop talking about Indore route! Actually, this is to reduce distance during onward journey.

It'll be around June 2-3, and rains (deterioration of NH3), will not affect in this period in this part. Indore-Aurangabad route is good, and then we'll join NH 4 either at Pune or Satara. On return, we'll take GQ only.
7. Are my distance calculations for onward & return journey correct?

8. One specific query: can we reach Satara by Baramati on Day 3 as planned? I think this may help to avoid Pune city? Don't know anything, so plz suggest.
9. I think June 15 onwards is off season (?) in Ooty- Munnar-Coorg-CKM-Coastal Karnataka! Can we get reasonable accommodation if we walk unbooked to these places. Our choice will be average decent room. Safety, parking, openness, cleanliness, and budget (1k) are the criteria. Luxury is not the word for us.

Suggestions pl..on any aspect of the plan.

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 30th April 2010 at 19:32.
Old 1st May 2010, 08:47   #32
Team-BHP Support

My comments:

Quote:
Day 7. Bangalore- Rameswaram (Night Halt).
Day 8. Rameswaram - Kanyakumari (Night Halt).
Should be OK. If you just want to visit the temple and keep moving it should be fine.

Quote:
Day 11. Munnar - Kochi (Night Halt) via Devikkolam - Nedumkandam - Kallar- Vellayamkudi-Idukki-Kulamavu-Muttom-Thodupuzha-Muvattupuzha (I know NH 49 is a direct option, but want to take this longer but beautiful Idukki route by choice)
Day 12. Kochi
Day 13. Kochi - backwaters visit at Kumarkom/or Alleppy - Kochi (Night Halt).
Backwaters are south of Kochi (Ernakulam) more in Allepey/Kumarakom. So you should halt there and not in Kochi.

Quote:
Day 14. Kochi- Coonoor- Ooty (still not clear which route will be better during that time/ mid June) (Night Halt).
Day 15. Exploring Ooty- Kotagiri –Oooty (Night Halt).
Day 19. Chikmangloor - Kudremukh- Udupi (Night Halt).
Dont stay in Kochi. You can start from Kumarakom and directly go to Ooty.
Route: Kumarakom-Ernakulam-Angamay-Thrichur-Guruvyur-Nilambur-Gudalur-Ooty
or Kumarakom-Ernakulam-Angamay-Thrichur-Palakkad-CBE-Mettupalayam-Ooty

Quote:
I cannot say, how much you can achieve by staying 1 day each at Mysore/Coorg/CKM? Any specific reasons?

For the rest Goa and Konkan seems OK, and for the rest of the journey, others can comment better.

Last edited by ampere : 1st May 2010 at 08:51.
Old 1st May 2010, 09:50   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
My comments:
Dont stay in Kochi. You can start from Kumarakom and directly go to Ooty.
Route: Kumarakom-Ernakulam-Angamay-Thrichur-Guruvyur-Nilambur-Gudalur-Ooty.
Thanks ampere. I'll take these good comments into consideration and modify accordingly.

I think Guruvyur, Nilambur route to Ooty would be more scenic for someone 1st time visiting insides of Kerala, rather then crowded Pallakad - CBE corridore? Though I have been to Kochi, TVM, Kollam, Kumarkom, Pallakad, Mallampuza by trains+bus.

Agree. It'll make sense to stay at Kumarkom on Day 13 and proceed directly to Ooty as suggested by you. Can arrange reasonable accommodation through local friends from Kochi.

"I cannot say, how much you can achieve by staying 1 day each at Mysore/Coorg/CKM? Any specific reasons?"[/quote]

Yes, I also agree, it seems too tight to be meaningful. Hence, toying with the idea of dropping one of them - Coorg or CKM? Which one to drop? Which will be more scenic, less crowed? Extending trip further will not possible bec. of leaves.

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 1st May 2010 at 09:58.
Old 1st May 2010, 11:34   #34
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Drop coorg is what I'd say. From mysore to CKM is excellent roads. So you can meander along and enjoy the scenic beauty. So is the road from CKM to Udupi through koppa, hariharapura, agumbe. Road from Kudremukh, karkala to udupi is also good.

But if you decide to go to coorg, then drive over to Talacauvery, skip ckm.
Old 1st May 2010, 11:44   #35
Team-BHP Support

If you have a Safari, there is no need to skip Coastal area during monsoon. The roads will be bad, but the views are great.

example: (this is within 50Kms from the beach)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...mbe-ghats.html (Cooling system testing in Agumbe Ghats)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...s-part-ii.html (Cooling system test in Agumbe Ghats - Part II)

Visiting the beach during monsoon can be a very different experience. The water will be roaring, all fishing banned for a month, you can see eagles gliding stand still in the gusty wind. Don't even think about getting into water.
Old 1st May 2010, 11:50   #36
Team-BHP Support

Even I would say drop Coorg and Mysore. You can directly drive to CKM. Take a chill in a home-stay and then head towards Konkan !

In fact there is also a by-pass between Mysore and Nanjangud, which skips Mysore and directly takes you through Bilkere and KRSargar and there on to the extremely good Mysore-Hasan road. If you start early from Ooty, you should be able to get to CKM pretty easily.

Nilambur route to Ooty is very scenic. Plan to do it during the day.

PS: Sorry for the typo in the previous post. Its not Angamay but Angamaly

Last edited by ampere : 1st May 2010 at 11:53.
Old 1st May 2010, 14:50   #37
BHPian

Thanks MX6, Samurai and ampere.

1. Seems like I'd drop Coorg as suggested by MX6 and go to CKM from Mysore.
2. Dropping Mysore seems difficult 'psychologically', having being so close and yet not visit it will pinch!
3. Samurai, thanks you joined the thread, was looking to hear from you as you belong to that beautiful area and very frequently visit.
4. ampere, yes, I am also in favor of more scenic Nilambur route to Ooty from Kumarakom
5. Pl also respond to my point no. 9 (about accommodation) in the above post.

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 1st May 2010 at 14:54. Reason: Added more text
Old 1st May 2010, 15:39   #38
Team-BHP Support

Check out this TL by DD.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...y-sx4-vvt.html
Old 1st May 2010, 17:02   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Okay. Though had seen it before, but going through it again for details.
Old 1st May 2010, 17:11   #40
Team-BHP Support

I liked the location of place. You can have a trek also if you need and place also looked very nice. Thanks to DD, he found a nice place!
And he went to that place very recently.

PM him to find more details.
Old 15th May 2010, 12:13   #41
BHPian

Friends,
What you fear most, comes your way!
What I was fearing have happened. My leaves are not sanctioned (by the same boss). Reason, I am too indispensable to my organization to be spared for so many days!

But, there is a silver lining too. I'll get leave, but lesser in numbers and need to postponed them by 10 days. So probably the plan will be reduced to approx 18-19 days. Now it'll be around June 13-30. So a few places will go off the list. That's why I have not yet booked accommodation at any place. Now, will rework the whole plan (base will remain same, will drop some places), and post in couple of days.

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 15th May 2010 at 12:16.
Old 5th June 2010, 18:49   #42
BHPian

Finally my leaves are approved and we are all set to embark upon our mega South road trip.

Reduced and REVISED PLAN is this:

Day 0. Lucknow – Chatarpur, MP (Night Halt). (3 pm-10 pm) Kms. 285. Includes some bad roads.

Day 1. Chatarpur - Adilabad, AP NH7. (Night Halt) (6 am-10 pm) Kms. 760.
Maximum excellent roads, Includes 4 lane roads, major towns bypassed.

Day 2. Adilabad - Bangalore, NH7. (Night Halt) (6 am-10 pm) Kms. 860.
Majority 4 lane roads, other excellent roads.

Day 3. At Bangalore (Rest and being with relatives).
Day 4. At Bangalore (City sight seeing (only major 2-3 points) and being with relatives/friends).
Day 5. BLR - Rameswaram (Darshan + Night halt).
Day 6. Dhanuskodai visit + leave around 11.30-12, reach KK by 7 pm (Night halt).
Day 7. KK sight seeing in 1st half of day + leave for Madurai (Night Halt).
If evening darshan is possible at Madurai then go for it or else leave it for morning.
Day 8. Morning darshan (if left previous day), and then proceed to Munnar via Theni. Munnar (night halt).
Day 9. At Munnar
Day 10. Munnar - [FONT=&quot] Ooty (Which route?)[/FONT] Explore Ooty city points+ night halt.
Day 11. Explore Ooty, Kotagiri, Coconoor.
Day 12. Ooty (leave around 12) - Mysore (night halt)
Day 13. Mysore (leave around 12.30)- Coorg (night halt).
Day 14. Coorg (leave around 12.30) - Udupi (night halt).
Day 15. Explore around Udupi (Night halt at Udupi)
Day 16. Udupi - Panjim (Night halt)(Explore coastal KTK through NH 17. A leisurely drive during whole day with brief stop-overs at impt places like Marventhe, Murdeswara, Karwar, etc).
Day 17. Panjim- Mumbai/Thane (Night halt) By NH17.
Day 18. Thane-Udaipur (Night halt)
Day 19. Udaipur - Lucknow

I know passing through Goa, instead of NH 4 looks a bit odd when there is no time to explore Goa. My idea is to enjoy the drive through NH17 instead of plain NH4. Anyway, we'll be having that relaxed 4laned highway run during last 2 days Mumbai onwards.

Your suggestions on this are again solicited. Also suggestions for budget stay options (but with safe parking) at all places except BLR are also requested. Though I am also exploring other threads on this forum, but still plz give names of some hotels at different places.

Vehicle done with 3rd service today. Everything fine, still have 5 days to run and check it (will start on 11th. afternoon).

Have a foot pump, 'emergency defense devices' (as mentioned in thread' Essentials of a Long drive'), spare coolant, trying to get a tubeless tyre repairing kit (as small shops on highway dont have it), also will take some rope for emergency towing, some general tools, first aid box, all normally required medicines, torch, candles, match-box, enough eatables, water, fruit juices, set of umbrellas, etc.

Also added a luggage carrier on roof. We'll pack major bags on carrier and make it tightly covered in waterproof manner. Whatever may be required during journey will be kept inside. But this arrangement is for To & fro long journey (Lucknow-BLR and Goa-Lucknow). (During sight seeing daily trips, luggage will be kept inside only). This way when family feels sitting tiredness, we can fold middle seat and enjoy the long & comfortable Safari cabin. It'll have provision of required cushions from all sides. During such times I'll go in controlled speed only (Below 100) and take care not to maneuver too much among traffic, to avoid throwing of passengers inside. So plz don't scold me too much for this . But, suggestions/observations/precautions are welcome.

Waiting for your valuable inputs

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 5th June 2010 at 19:04.
Old 5th June 2010, 19:26   #43
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Finally my leaves are approved and we are all set to embark upon our mega South road trip.

Day 6. Dhanuskodai visit + leave around 11.30-12, reach KK by 7 pm (Night halt).
Day 7. KK sight seeing in 1st half of day + leave for Madurai (Night Halt).
If evening darshan is possible at Madurai then go for it or else leave it for morning.

Waiting for your valuable inputs
Lalit great to know your trip is on track. I recently visited KK. As per your trip itinerary try to reach kk by 5 instead of 7. you can see sun set, visit kanyakumari temple in evening, timing is from 4pm to 8.15 pm. Also visit the view tower, Triveni Sangam,Lord shiva temple too. All are in walkable distance.

Then next day visit Vivekanenda Rock , ferry starts by 8 Am. Note There is lot of rush for ferry at least 2.5 hrs is required.

if time permits you can visit Suchindrum temple(Hanuman temple) is 13 km from KK and further 25 odd kms ahead is Padmanabhapuram Maharajas Palace.

As for hotels samundra is just in front of temple has parking space too. Also opposite to it is the shavarana restaurant, great food.
I stayed at Sea View , it pricey but has a fantastic view of sea. I stayed on the fifth floor.

Check my log i am posting photos of my visit.

Have a safe trip.
cheers
vinod
Old 6th June 2010, 21:14   #44
Senior - BHPian

LDL, drive plan is very much doable, although you will have to contend with some very good and bad roads, especially in MP and KA once the rains start. You should get good discounts in hotels in Munnar and Goa.
Old 7th June 2010, 10:48   #45
BHPian

Thanks v&v and HVK sir. Noted everything. Now there won't be any looking back. Come what may, we are coming.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks