Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2010, 08:37   #31
J.Ravi

Thanks, pypkmsrikanth, for the prompt reply. Now, I understood. I have seen this overhead Chennai BP during my Bangalore - Chennai trips. I had thought, I could access Chennai BP before Porur junction from Vadapalani.

Old 4th July 2010, 12:57   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
^^^ No they're not fully functional, however, I know there're few shops opened up inside. Two weeks ago, I'd passed via clock tower & could see very few cars in the parking lot during mid of the day with huge free spaces & I could make out that they're not fully functional. Though not updated, should provide sufficient information - Shopping centre in chennai: Express Avenue,Business chamber chennai,Chennai cityscape,Vedic Astrology,Astral remedies,Signature analysis,Kavita Singhania
Thanks Aargee! I've been checking the website but they haven't really updated anything for months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Tons of shops have opened up at Express Avenue including a 100K sq ft Big Bazaar. I went there for the first time about two weeks ago and about 10 shops were open. Last weekend, at least 40 were open. The outside car park and the basement car park was full last Sunday evening. There was a massive traffic jam while entering the place. Kids will enjoy the 'Fun City'- some cool rides are there. This is easily the best mall in Chennai at the moment. Ampa is probably second. Both are big and airy and not claustrophobic like Spencers and Citi Center.
Cool! I guess I'll head there soon! Just hope they have a good food court
Old 4th July 2010, 23:47   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Thanks Aargee! I've been checking the website but they haven't really updated anything for months
Ok, I'll be heading there during this week; I'll make a special entry just for you & get you the latest updates. Hope its fine with you.
Old 5th July 2010, 12:21   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Ok, I'll be heading there during this week; I'll make a special entry just for you & get you the latest updates. Hope its fine with you.
Much obliged, aargee

Sorry for ruining govigov's thread!
Old 5th July 2010, 15:10   #35
Senior - BHPian

Weekend Update!!!

Had a blast of a weekend! chennai has some good places ! :thumbsup:

Saturday morning woke up, in the afternoon walked out on to indiranagar. went to a place called Dosa Calling, had lots and lots of dosa and headed over to CCD. my brother picked me up from near anna university at about 2000hrs and we headed over to ZARA's - The Topaz BAR. Awesome! what a crowd! there was a celebreity there, Dinesh Karthik!!! that was neat! after zara we headed over to a place near egmore called MATHSYA, were we had some good dosa's again. apparently, my brothers gang had reported of some more night eatouts called Twilight Zone and chariot. (no clue, where they are).

Headed over to EA next afternoon, and went beserk. Though not fully functional it was an excellent place. They had a place called ALL(the plus size store) and bought some really big clothes. ! EA is extremely airy and funcity was nice.

They had mentioned a place to play some paint ball games. If i am here next weekend, i would like to go there.

Brother left for cochin yesterday :(

Thank you all for some excellent suggestions!

Anekho, please feel free to talk about any places in chennai, that would be good info to all who visits this thread

Last edited by govigov : 5th July 2010 at 15:18.
Old 5th July 2010, 17:06   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Anekho, please feel free to talk about any places in chennai, that would be good info to all who visits this thread

If you're into dosa's try a place called ID (Idly Dosa) in Sathyam Cinemas. Loved it last time I was there and the place has cool interior designing!

Check it out here: ID (Idly & Dosa), Royapettah, Chennai, Restaurants on burrp! Chennai

btw, nice to know you like EA, can't wait to head there
Old 14th July 2010, 16:46   #37
Senior - BHPian

Hey friends,

I am driving to Chennai tomorrow (reaching @ 7PM). My hotel booking is done on South Cross Street, ECR Road, Neelankarai. I do not know how to reach there from GQ road from Bangalore. Please guide me with a route map!
Old 14th July 2010, 17:22   #38
Senior - BHPian

I don't have a map at the moment, but this is the route to take.

1. Keep a watch out for the Hyundai factory on the right and the race track on the left
2. Go over two flyovers
3. Keep a watch out for a 3rd flyover that says 'Poonamalee'.
4. Take the flyover and go towards Poonamalee
5. Keep going straight till you pass Poonamalee and enter Porur (straight road)
6. Cross Porur and keep a watch out for the Chennai Trade Center on the right side
7. You have to hit Mount Road or Anna Salai next. After you pass the trade center, go for some distance and take a left. You will find a lot of vehicles doing this so follow them
8. Keep going on this road until you see a gigantic clover shaped flyover in front
9. Follow the service road as it curves to the left
10. Take a U turn about 100 meters into the service road under the flyover
11. Proceed on the other side of the flyover on the service road until you hit Mount Road
12. Keep going straight until Mount Road becomes a one way.
13. Stick to the right side and take a right on to Taluk Office Road. This is a one way as well
14. Stick to the left and take a left at the T junction to enter Sardar Patel Road
15. Keep going straight on Sardar Patel road and climb a flyover
16. Keep going straight until you see a big junction and take right on OMR towards Taramani.
17. Take a left after you see Tidel Park on the right side
18. Keep going straight and this road will curve right after a signal into ECR
19. You are now on ECR, so keep going straight until you hit Neelankarai a few kms down the road.

I do not know the location of the hotel at ECR. You have to come from the north west to south east of the city. Will be painful at 7 pm. There may be a better route but this is the one I know.

Last edited by Gilead : 14th July 2010 at 17:27.
Old 14th July 2010, 18:04   #39
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Gilead, More painfull than bangalore traffic?

So better I'll try to delay the starting time by 2 hours to hit chennai suburb by 9PM. I think 9 should be OK?
Old 14th July 2010, 18:10   #40
Senior - BHPian

@Latheesh - Here're some maps for you, let me know if this helps
This is map #1
Inside Chennai city : Route Queries-1.jpg
1. This is the first map to follow when you come from Bangalore towards Chennai. When you come from Bangalore, keep looking towards your left for a restaurant Motel Highway, this falls towards your right & is followed after a signal.
2. Keep going straight & follow the signs for Poonamalle. Take all possible bridges to bye pass the town
3. Keep going straight & no turns; you've to pass by the place Iyappanthangal & Porur. These are one straight road in SH55.
4. After Porur, keep going further straight & if in doubt ask for landmarks such as Ramavaram, Manapakkam, Miot Hospital, Kathipara Junction or Guindy. These are enroutes to Guindy

Last edited by aargee : 14th July 2010 at 18:22.
Old 14th July 2010, 18:15   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Thanks Gilead, More painfull than bangalore traffic?

So better I'll try to delay the starting time by 2 hours to hit chennai suburb by 9PM. I think 9 should be OK?
Not so bad I guess, but arriving at a metro at peak hour and cutting through the city will be painful anywhere. It will be much better if you hit the Hyundai factory at 9 pm.

The map that aargee provided is the same route that I proposed. Guindy is where the clover shaped flyover called Kathipara is located.
Old 14th July 2010, 18:21   #42
Senior - BHPian

This is map #2 from Guindy to Madhya Kailash
Inside Chennai city : Route Queries-2.jpg
1. Once you're at Kathipara junction, there's a new grade separator that directs the traffic towards Airport, Vadapalani & Guindy. You need to follow the signs towards Guindy.
2. Basically this also means to keep straight. Once you take this bridge & while getting down you can spot Harsha Toyota as well as Le Royale Meridien hotel towards your right.
3. Keep going straight & you'll hit the Guindy bridge & take this bridge. When you descend from the bridge you can see a construction activity going on, basically Metro rail project.
4. Keep going straight & you'll see the first signal; at the signal you can see the ABT Maruti's worksop towards your left & from here on its one way; after the signal move towards the right lanes as you need to be taking right turn shortly at the second signal.
5. At the second signal take the right turn; immediately after the right turn there's one more signal, call this as third signal. Keep going straight after this signal & this road leads to the junction towards Governor's house.
6. After the third signal, gradually move towards your left lane as you'll need to take the left turn at the junction at Governor's house. Note that this road is also one-way.
7. At the junction, take left & this road takes you towards Madhya Kailash temple. On this road you can spot Anna University towards your left.
8. From the junction, keep gong straight, you'll see one signal & after the signal be prepared to take the bridge. Note that the time when you drive through, this bridge is a 2 lane & you'll have vehicles plying from the other lane too.
9. Take the bridge, descend & then keep going further straight & you'll see another signal. At this signal you need to take right turn towards OMR (Old Mahabalipuram Road) or Rajiv Gandhi I.T. Express highway.
10. At this signal you can spot the Madhya Kailash Temple on to your right

Last edited by aargee : 14th July 2010 at 18:31.
Old 14th July 2010, 18:25   #43
Senior - BHPian

This is map #3 from Madhya Kailash to Thiruvanmiyur
Name:  3.JPG
Views: 6272
Size:  74.5 KB
1. After turning right towards the IT express highway, keep going straight until you see the first signal.
2. At the signal you need to take left, so be prepared for it.
3. Take left & keep going straight, though you may encounter 1-2 signals & junctions in between, keep going straight until the road finally turns right.
4. Towards your right, you can notice the Tiruvanmiyur bus station. This is the place at which the ECR (East Coast Road) scenic drive starts
Old 14th July 2010, 18:29   #44
Senior - BHPian

This is map #4
Inside Chennai city : Route Queries-4.jpg
1. This is a very simple route & all you need is to keep going straight on ECR
2. Incase you feel struck, you need to ask for directions towards Kottivakkam or Neelangarai.

Hope the route helped you.
To summarize, here's the route to take...
Thirumazhisai-Poonamalle-Iyappanthangal-Porur-Ramavaram-Guindy-Saidapet court road-S.P.Road-OMR-Tiruvanmiyur-Kottivakkam-Neelangarai.
Old 14th July 2010, 18:29   #45
Senior - BHPian

Ah, I didn't realize you could take the Kathipara flyover to reach Guindy from Porur.

Latheesh:Ignore 'U Turn under service road' part I mentioned and take the flyover to reach Mount Road. From there on it's the same as what I said.

Boy, I must say aargee is really good at giving directions.

Most Viewed