Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2010, 02:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Inside Chennai city : Route Queries

Hi All,

I have been asked to report to our chennai office for 2 weeks starting this monday the 28th. i shall be arriving at the chennai central station in the morning.

The place that i have been put up for 2 weeks is:

77/36, 2nd main road.

Gandhi nagar,
Adyar
Chennai - 600 020

My work location is our office in velachery, next to vijayanagar bus stand.
The shift timing are 1230 - 2230.

My queries:

How do i reach the office in velachery from adayar? what buses to take, do i change busses in between? is there an alternate option of using a train?

How do i travel back considering i get out of the office only late at night? any public transport?

I am planning to take an auto from the central station to adayar. are there any alternate options considering the auto fares are expensive?

What are the places to see inside chennai city (dont want to travel too far away from the city without own transport).

Any good eateries next to the place that i am put up? (big dosa fan and a veggie )

What are the things that i should watch out for in chennai? any chennai specific street smart tips?

regards,
govigov

Last edited by govigov : 26th June 2010 at 02:33. Reason: html tags
Old 26th June 2010, 03:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

I am going to give you some directions assuming you are travelling light. Get down at Central Station, come out, and ask for the Park Station. You have to cross the road to get there. Here is something from Google Maps:
Name:  1.png
Views: 5378
Size:  78.5 KB
Ask for the platform for the train that heads to Kasturibai Nagar. Look up the MRTS stations to familiarize yourself with the order of stations, so that you wont miss it when the train pulls in to Kasturibai Nagar station. Here is a map of the Kasturibai Nagar station and 2nd Main Road (Gandhi nagar) for you:
Inside Chennai city : Route Queries-2.png
I suggest you ask someone which direction is Gandhi Nagar 2nd main Road, and cross the road in that direction as required and then pick an autorickshaw to your residence (ask directions / cross the road because if you are in the wrong side of the road, the ricky will have to go around and bit, and will fleece you a bit more!). I have not used an auto in Chennai for a while now, so I am guessing it should not be more than 25 - 30 bucks from the station to 2nd Main Road.

From the same Kasturibai Nagar station, you have trains to Velacherry. You can again get down at Velacherry and take a ricky. I do not know where you work, so am assuming you can ask someone at workplace how to get there.

I strongly recommend the MRTS train, considering where you live and work, and how quick it is to get to the destination travelling in one. I live in Besant nagar (near Adayar), so PM me if you need any help.
Old 26th June 2010, 12:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

thank you phoenix. Yes i am travelling lite and this sounds just perfect. let me find out how far is the office from velachery station.

edit: should i ask for park railway station or park town railway station, because only the park town railway station has routes going down to MRTS and not park railway station? or will i get it from park railway station itself?

Last edited by govigov : 26th June 2010 at 12:40.
Old 26th June 2010, 13:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

chennai-mrts-timetable.xls

chennai mrts timetable.xls

this should be useful. the last train from velachery is at 22.20 i would have to ask to leave early from office to catch that one to reach kasturibanagar. it is walking distance from there. it is a huge relief that MRTS line is present!!!!

cheers phoenix, without your help, i would not have known about this!!
Old 26th June 2010, 16:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
thank you phoenix. Yes i am travelling lite and this sounds just perfect. let me find out how far is the office from velachery station.

edit: should i ask for park railway station or park town railway station, because only the park town railway station has routes going down to MRTS and not park railway station? or will i get it from park railway station itself?
Ok, you caught me - I have taken this train once or twice, and I had hopped in from the park Station. I do not know if there are separate Park and Park Town station, I thought both are one and the same! But am sure if you get down at Central, cross the road and ask some shop wala (NOT auto guys!), you should be fine.
Old 26th June 2010, 16:58   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Ok, you caught me - I have taken this train once or twice, and I had hopped in from the park Station. I do not know if there are separate Park and Park Town station, I thought both are one and the same! But am sure if you get down at Central, cross the road and ask some shop wala (NOT auto guys!), you should be fine.
Yes there are 2 park stations. Old one for going to tambaram and new one for going to Adyar/velachery.

What you have to do is take the subway in front of Central and you can cross the road. Ask anyone for MRTS station (or) in tamil as Parakum rail(flying rail in tamil because it is elevated)
You can easily find, for it is just 50 feet away from the subway, a sandstone coloured building. there will be lots of cops in the area. You can ask them if you feel lost.

Last edited by Daewood : 26th June 2010 at 17:00.
Old 26th June 2010, 17:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Both stations are in close proximity to each other. As you enter park station, I think you have to climb the foot over bridge, cross a couple of platforms and climb down for the park town station. It may involve a walk of 100 - 200 metres after climbing down. Enquire with someone before climbing the stairs.
Old 27th June 2010, 14:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thank you. any inputs on eateries?
Old 27th June 2010, 19:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

Ah, yes - I missed touching on that. You have nothing to worry on that front. There is a Sangeetha's to satisfy your Dosa needs, pretty close to the Kasturibai Nagar railway station (on Sardar Patel road). And for your weekend eats, get down to Besant Nagar - there is a Murugan Idli Kadai right opposite to the Church- hey, maybe we can have a T-BHP meet!
Old 28th June 2010, 21:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

posting this from chennai. took the mrts from park town to kasturbhai nagar. excellent. there is a way from central to park town mrts directly, do not know that way. had to take 2 subways to reach park town station.

took the bus to velachery. 15M from adayar to vijayanagar bustand. is it the same bus for going back?
Old 28th June 2010, 22:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

Sorry @Govi, I'm not sure on the bus routes. We being localites are familiar mostly with the roads rather than the bus routes. I guess you can take the same bus. To make your life little easier, check out the bus route on the following site - Metropolitan Transport Corporation [Chennai] Limited - MTC (Use the Routes-Stagewise)

Edit - Oh!!! Welcome to Chennai from Kochi
Old 29th June 2010, 19:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Thanks argee.

First night in chennai was peaceful. heard of a place called crimson tree (or something that sounds a lot like that) near gandhinagar club, any one been there, heard some good reviews of that place.

wanted to try out dosas from sangeethas and went over, was too crowded, so decided to give it a try tmrw. i will be back in gandhinagar after the office, only late at night, say 11. i found that none of the eateries were open :surprised: any place which is open at that time in gandhinagar.

damn, I am missing my living without any kind of transport. :(
Old 29th June 2010, 20:19   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

It's Crimson Chakra & Cornocopia (Opp to Gandhi Nagar Club) It rate them very high. Do check them out!
Old 29th June 2010, 20:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
damn, I am missing my living without any kind of transport. :(
Have you sampled autos in Chennai yet? Or the other strange contraption called share auto?
Old 29th June 2010, 20:27   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Have you sampled autos in Chennai yet? Or the other strange contraption called share auto?
Already he's worried about not getting food after 11PM. Now you want to introduce him to the notorious Chennai Autos? He'll never return to Chennai again! lol

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks