Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2010, 19:22   #46
Senior - BHPian

@Gilead - that's my usual route to office everyday & that's the reason I know many things by heart. Have been going through this route for over, say 6 years now?
Old 14th July 2010, 20:10   #47
Senior - BHPian

@aargee, I just saw this probably too late. But dont you think its better for him to reach Neelankarai thru GQ -> Take bypass road to Tambaram (right) -> Tambaram to Medavakkam -> Take right towards Sholinganallur -> Cut across OMR, hit ECR -> Take right, drive a few kms and reach Neelankarai?

(here A to B is completely four-lane highway similar to GQ, B to G is an ok-traffic road during off-peak hours, and the last road which has H and I is again a highway [ECR]).

I am sure this route will have far, far less traffic & stress than going thru Guindy.
Attached Thumbnails
Inside Chennai city : Route Queries-route.jpg  

Old 14th July 2010, 20:53   #48
Senior - BHPian

Yes, but its 10 Km longer; in the evenings, Maduravoyal junction, even though the bridge is semi functional & Tambaram junction (start of NH45), if one gets into traffic jam, its even pathetic than city.

Yes, I agree, this is better, but for the distance;
Maduravoyal to Tambaram - approx 18 Kms
Tambaram to Vandaloor - approx 8 Kms
Vandaloor - Kelambakkam - approx 25 Kms
Kelambakkam - Neelangarai - approx 20 Kms

Oh!!! There're two tolls this way; one at Tambaram bye-pass & the next one at Uthandi

Edit - Sorry didn't notice the Selaiyur way. Yeah, this should be better, but I'm not sure about the road condition on Selaiyur

Last edited by aargee : 14th July 2010 at 20:56.
Old 15th July 2010, 14:23   #49
Senior - BHPian

Wow, thanks aargee, Gilead and rajushank84 for helping me out. As suggested I am planning to hit Chennai suburb by 9.
Old 15th July 2010, 15:14   #50
Senior - BHPian

@Latheesh, if you havent started yet: I suggest you take the last route mentioned by aargee. It is 100% highway route, will be much much better than going into the city. The tolls are more than worth it.

Second best IMHO is the one I suggested.

Try to avoid going into Guindy. Roads will be confusing if you are not familiar, and traffic will be hell.
Old 15th July 2010, 15:22   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Try to avoid going into Guindy. Roads will be confusing if you are not familiar, and traffic will be hell.
Not if he hits the outskirts at 9 pm as he is planning.
Old 17th July 2010, 07:23   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Not if he hits the outskirts at 9 pm as he is planning.
Why not Poonamallee Kundrathur, Pallavaram,Velachery,Thiruvanmiyur and Neelankarai route. No toll at all.Only Velachery traffic jam in the morning and evening.
Old 17th July 2010, 13:13   #53
Senior - BHPian

@Navan sir - Due the ongoing construction work for bridge construction at Porur junction, there's little heavy traffic at Porur signal even at morning 7:20; I've heard that Kundrathur roads are little narrow, but of traffic free & kind of OK roads.
Old 18th July 2010, 15:41   #54
Team-BHP Support

Any updates on the construction status at NH4 and Jawahar Lal Nehru road near Anna Nagar?

Also when is the bridge at Porur junction getting over? Any updates?
Old 18th July 2010, 17:21   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Navan sir - Due the ongoing construction work for bridge construction at Porur junction, there's little heavy traffic at Porur signal even at morning 7:20; I've heard that Kundrathur roads are little narrow, but of traffic free & kind of OK roads.
Aarjee,

You are right due to the construction work the traffic jam is there till late night also in Porur. I go to Ramachandra area often. I always use the Bye pass road (Tambaram Maduravoyal Road) That too is conjusted during nights around 8 an 9PM.
Old 18th July 2010, 17:22   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Aarjee,

You are right due to the construction work the traffic jam is there till late night also in Porur. I go to Ramachandra area often. I always use the Bye pass road (Tambaram Maduravoyal Road) That too is congested during nights around 8 an 9PM. The Porur bridge work may take another year.
Old 18th July 2010, 18:30   #57
Team-BHP Support

So what are the other alternate options to get on to NH4? This is a generic question. I meant from different parts of Chennai.
Old 18th July 2010, 22:25   #58
Senior - BHPian

aargee - Your route map was really helpfull. We reached hotel without asking a single person, we could spot each and every landmark without any confusion.
Old 19th July 2010, 03:07   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Any updates on the construction status at NH4 and Jawahar Lal Nehru road near Anna Nagar?
Still on going

Quote:
Also when is the bridge at Porur junction getting over? Any updates?
Sir, you need to really give sometime, it has only just started, it has to start off really, get stranded in between, public & press needs to fume, contractor has to change & finally someone should pick up, whew!!! there're so many phases that are yet to come - lol

Quote:
So what are the other alternate options to get on to NH4? This is a generic question. I meant from different parts of Chennai.
Well, little difficult to answer, unless you specify which part of Chennai. Anyway, I'll put the map in reverse, i.e., starting from NH4 towards city, if any of my points does not suite your requirement, feel free to ask.

NH4 - Koyambedu junction is one of the most easiest drive as you will not be bound to hit traffic jam. But beware of the junction as such due to the ongoing bridge construction at Koyambedu junction where you're bound to hit the traffic. This is a good option if you want to enter into areas such as Arumbakkam, Kilpauk, Nungambakkam, Egmore, Chennai Central.

NH4 - Chennai Byepass - Tambaram - No questions to ask T of traffic jam; very easy, convenient & enjoy the high speed driving with a toll (IIRC, Rs 30 one way). Take this road, if you need to enjoy a traffic free drive for Airport, but a little longer. Also this enroute is good to get into any south of TN as this bye-pass connects NH4-NH46.

NH4 - Maduravoyal - Ambattur - Again not much of traffic until you hit Ambattur. Take this road if you need to get into the west side of the Chennai suburbs or may be even if you intend to go towards Redhills/NH5

NH4 - Chennai Byepass - Porur - Guindy - You can hit little traffic jam at Porur junction & upto 2 Kms from the signal due to the road widening activity & the bridge construction. This road is good to take if one needs to go to Eekattuthangal, Ashok nagar, KK Nagar, Guindy (obviously), Mt Road, Airport, Saidapet, T.Nagar, Teynampet, Triplicane.

NH4 - Chennai Byepass - Porur - Vadapalani - At the Porur junction take left towards Vadapalani; though a little narrow city road, this is much shorter route & will be of the same amount of driving experience even if one takes the NH4-Porur-Guindy-Ashok nagar-Vadapalani route. This route is also good to take if one needs to hit Kodambakkam, but not T.Nagar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
aargee - Your route map was really helpfull. We reached hotel without asking a single person, we could spot each and every landmark without any confusion.
Glad, I could be of little help.

Last edited by aargee : 19th July 2010 at 03:11.
Old 19th July 2010, 04:07   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Thanks Aargee! I've been checking the website but they haven't really updated anything for months
Sorry Anekho, though I'd been there 2 weekends ago, I couldn't post it here. All the updates are through the security manager at EA; I didn't get inside for 2 main reasons
1. Most important - You're charged about Rs 15 for two-wheeler parking even if you put your right tyre inside EA for few seconds ; I mean, that's the kind of impression they gave. Every additional hour is also being charged. For 4-wheeler a flat of Rs 40.
2. Time factor

Update is that there're about 150 shops opened & the mall is just 15-25% occupied. More shops are finding their way; but mall construction is completed as such, may be some pending outside works. The entry is through G.P. Road & the exits are through Patullous road & Royapettah (towards clock tower). Though the Patullous road one is not yet opened.

Last edited by aargee : 19th July 2010 at 04:09.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks